Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #61
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FG wagon - what would it have been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I can't believe i'm saying this but I agree with you flappist. V8 wagons have not sold for Ford since the 70's.

They have tried to continue selling V8 wagons but no one bought them, let alone ones fitted with manual gearboxes. Releasing one now will not make one iota of difference to this. They are a WOFTAM to Ford. If you believe they will sell if Ford released one you are delusional.
and thats what sucks.. not enough to put up and shut up....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #62
AMGC63
Banned

There will always be a tiny group of people who have an eccentric or unusual need in the specification of a vehicle.. unfortunately Ford will never be able to cater to them.
Ford will have a magic number of projected sales per month any given model permutation must sell to at an absolute minimum, untill they can be certain they'll hit that number and some it wont happen...

I think there needs to be a reality check with some of these vehicle ideas...
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #63
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
There will always be a tiny group of people who have an eccentric or unusual need in the specification of a vehicle.. unfortunately Ford will never be able to cater to them.
Ford will have a magic number of projected sales per month any given model permutation must sell to, untill they can be certain they'll hit that number it wont happen...
eccentric... just like the bogan number of sportswagon buyers..
Old 16-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #64
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
eccentric... just like the bogan number of sportswagon buyers..
6% of which were V8 manual... lol
Old 16-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #65
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
email address.. who shall i whinge..???
customerservice@ford.com.au

Make sure you include the VIN of the Holden wagon you were forced to buy. (It will be on the receipt).

Or you can just complain and have your email filed with the GTHO/Coupe/2011 Clevo/V8 Terry/IRS ute/V10 emails.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #66
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
6% of which were V8 manual... lol
so what.. i'm not lazy.. i like swapping cogs..

ya got factory sunroof spec captain KPI's...
Old 16-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #67
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
so what.. i'm not lazy.. i like swapping cogs..

ya got factory sunroof spec captain KPI's...
No problems, let us know when you pick up your HSV wagon, make sure you post some pics and make sure you email them to Ford too...
Old 16-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #68
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No problems, let us know when you pick up your HSV wagon, make sure you post some pics and make sure you email them to Ford too...
lols.. i dont need your HSV shizz.. just a HOLDEN V8 MANUAL STATION WAGON...
Old 16-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #69
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I wonder.... how desirable have would a LPI wagon have been to taxi buyers?

How many Commy wagons were bought by fleets / government etc? If a Ford wagon was produced that could carry more and be 'greener' would that have taken their sales?

I think it's too later IMO. With the constant talk of the downfall of the full size car, a wagon probably would not earn Ford its development money back, especially with the new Territory.
A FG wagon with proper payload would have been extremely popular with fleets and the EcoLPI version would have no problems accommodating a full sized spare tyre. The Territory agrument is flawed as I know people who want a Falcon wagon but don't want or see the Ford Territory as the alternative.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #70
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
A FG wagon with proper payload would have been extremely popular with fleets and the EcoLPI version would have no problems accommodating a full sized spare tyre. The Territory agrument is flawed as I know people who want a Falcon wagon but don't want or see the Ford Territory as the alternative.
So what did they buy or are driving right now?
Old 16-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #71
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Fte T3 TL50, Manual V8 wagon, V8 Territory. I'm seeing a pattern here, desired by the few, afforded by less, bought by even fewer.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #72
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum
Fte T3 TL50, Manual V8 wagon, V8 Territory. I'm seeing a pattern here, desired by the few, afforded by less, bought by even fewer.
now bring it on...
Old 16-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #73
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
...vehicle that is capable of carrying 5-7 people and a bit of luggage in comfort and safety
You cant be serious, the 3rd row seats in the Territory are esky lids at best. Nissan Pathfinder, even the Craptiva have much nicer 3rd row seating.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #74
prydey
Rob

show of hands all the people that have bought a new ford wagon in the last 10yrs. 'if they build it, i will buy one' doesn't count.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #75
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
show of hands all the people that have bought a new ford wagon in the last 10yrs. 'if they build it, i will buy one' doesn't count.
i will put my hand up.. i'm in the position to buy wtfil..
right now..
Old 16-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #76
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I had a ED Fairmont 5.0 and I converted it to a manual. Best mod I ever did to it. Pretty easy for Ford to do straight from the factory but I guess a manual was all that separated a XR8 to everything else in the Ford stable at the time.

You will have to either build your own Ford or buy a Holden Pottery.

I'll take up your challenge Flappy. Just bought a brand spanker SS last week which means my planned SY Territory and V8 conversion will have to wait a while. 6 speed auto and RWD. Not for drag racing but for cruising and towing.
Old 16-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #77
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Maybe something like this:

If they built that, properly and not insanley priced, i would have that parked outside, not the Courier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum
What was that? A prototype?
Its a project car of Gothefalcon, look in the project car section. BF AWD RTV mmmm

Quote:
The last 10 years ive been at school so it was impossible to buy new. But now im pretty flexible. Ford dont make anything id really buy except the new Ranger Wiltrak right now, but thats way way beyond the budget at over 50K.

If the FG wagon chops on the first page were anything close to the final design, then i wouldnt have bothered....

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #78
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do you want the 1300 Sportwagon buyers a month to put up their hand?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #79
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Now before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I know full well there isn't and never will be another Falcon wagon, what I would like to explore is an alternate future which assumes there would have been.

What would an FG wagon have been?

Would it have been a rebodied B-series car with leaf springs and a LWB platform, or something more like the Commode Sportwagon on the sedan platform with IRS?

Having just spent the past 2 weeks tooling around in an AU wagon, I now realise how useful the old wagon actually was. That load space will swallow a lot of crap. And as for the leaf sprung v IRS argument - who cares. The average wagon buyer isn't buying a wagon for its handling prowess and probably wouldn't even notice the difference between the two under normal driving conditions. Henceforth I reckon Ford could have gotten away with offering an FG wagon on a LWB platform with leaf springs. But the old wagon's downfall was, quite simply, it wasn't stylish, and physical attraction is the first obstacle to any successful 'relationship'. If it was a stylish little (or large) number, it may have been a winner.

What say you? What would it have been?
Very interesting topic RoadWarrior. I've just been looking around for an AU wagon myself (I consider them more stylish than the B series, in particular the AU Fairmont/SR). And this is as a new car buyer! Compared to our current Territory, the AU1 had a more soft, floaty suspension (no bad thing, 99% of motoring is not a race and bumps get tedious), the SOHC 6 has more torque low down (again, no bad thing, in fact very pleasant), and steering is lighter - more pleasant around town but not as precise. The wagon space is so practical, and importantly you can lock up long items like longer surfboards that can cost north of $1K that would be flogged off the back of a ute.

If I was tooling an FG wagon, knowing the BFIII was going and the Fairlane too, so no long wheelbase platform, I would:

Tool on sedan wheelbase
Make it much more spacious than Sportwagon, so as to differentiate
Market a full range: XR, G series, XT
ECOLPi - cheap running costs
Put the ute's column shift 3 seat bench in it, for 6 seater practicality
...and...
Tool a higher roof/2 door version for a panel van
or a mix of doors/seating like Skoda Yeti: urban practicality is where it's at...

One of those would be sweet.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #80
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

IF ford did an FG wagon, somehow i think they yould have tried to tack on the BA/AU rear end...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #81
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
True.. The HSV wagon hasn't sold that well, but the SS/SSV has proved there is a market there between 40-55K for a Familiy Wagon Monday to Friday and a "Dads Toy" Weekender in one.

It all matters little in the end, Ford look set to not be making a XR8 let alone a wagon.
Yep, agree with the first bit, my brother fit that demographic, the SS wagon is a superb product. Very fun, good looking, and practical. What's not to like?

Others have asked why not Mondeo, our family had one last time and I vastly prefer the Falcon parts philosophy and pricing. Similar to a now defunct Renault Laguna/Citroen C5/Peugeot 405/VW Passat wagon with European parts IMO but if anyone can advise if it's measurably cheaper to keep that would be good.
Mazda 6 wagons are nice as well, agree. There is a large part of the segment that doesn't mind if it's FWD, or floats along and is comfortable, as long as it is practical, or inexpensive, and many don't want an SUV.
Old 16-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #82
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Do you want the 1300 Sportwagon buyers a month to put up their hand?
Maybe only the ones who are AFF members......
Old 16-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #83
JG34JA

Quote:
And really......all the V8/T6/XR wagon protagonists.....
What do you currently drive?
A Ford vehicle you bought new?
A wagon you bought new?
A car of any sort whatsoever you bought new?.
Well, Falcon and XR wagon protagonist here, drive a Territory, bought new, even ordered it as a special order with extras, had the excitement of waiting for something truly ours to be built, and Ford got profit from it, and I can honestly say, YES, I'd buy an XR6 or Fairmont or 6 seater column shift wagon brand new from Ford without a second's contemplation. It's just they don't exist.
Old 16-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #84
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe only the ones who are AFF members......
now.. now.. i do have cash neville...
Old 16-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #85
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG34JA
Well, Falcon and XR wagon protagonist here, drive a Territory, bought new, even ordered it as a special order with extras, had the excitement of waiting for something truly ours to be built, and Ford got profit from it, and I can honestly say, YES, I'd buy an XR6 or Fairmont or 6 seater column shift wagon brand new from Ford without a second's contemplation. It's just they don't exist.
Ok that's one, only another ten thousand to go.

One interesting point here is the belief by some that because another marque makes a model then if Ford made one too they would take all the sales.

Toyota have a huge market share with Aurion/Camry.

Maybe Ford should make Falcon be a FWD V6 then all the Toyota buyers would but Falcon instead. It would also take all the Commodore buyers who really want a FWD but Holden just will not make one.

That would give them a greater market share than everyone else.......

You know it makes sense....it is on the internet.....
Old 16-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #86
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love my BFII LPG wagon. I drive it about 1200klm a week. It drives comfortably and effortlessly and is cheap as chips to own. It is a shame I wont be able to replace it with another falcon wagon when the time comes. I would look at an EcoLPI Mondeo or LPI Sportwagon
GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #87
JG34JA

Quote:
Ok that's one, only another ten thousand to go.
lol! Being a Falcon wagon fan has become an eccentricity, no? Pretty soon we'll be on the Shannon's ad, instead of the fellow saying "G-O-G-G-O"
Old 16-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #88
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG34JA
lol! Being a Falcon wagon fan has become an eccentricity, no? Pretty soon we'll be on the Shannon's ad, instead of the fellow saying "G-O-G-G-O"
Well yes it is a bit. There are not enough of you for it to be viable for Ford.

When I bought my first F6 after my GT-P I wanted a "F6-P" so I made one.

I traded on a F6 with full brembos, satnav and all the goodies, bought a complete GT-P interior off flea-bay for about $2500 and installed it, purchased the "factory approved" John Bowe suspension & cambre kit and made my own F6-P because that was what I wanted.

No one seems to want an XR wagon enough to make their own.
Old 17-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #89
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
The Holden wagon cost 130m and that was tested and designed to expensive US design and crash standards if it was to be sold there. .
Interesting because the FG wagon was supposedly to have a long wheelbase, possibly longer doors and definitly a new rear

Last edited by jpd80; 17-10-2011 at 12:35 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #90
max_torq
From the Futura

Quote:
No one seems to want an XR wagon enough to make their own.
The harsh interior of the BA would have turned off ten years of upmarket wagon buyers.

On my futura wagon I have replaced the interior and ICC with typhoon stuff, fitted 19" rims, next to update the brakes and eventually fit the turbo engine. Just to get the car to a modest expectable standard. And then I'll be stuck with the car for years for what to upgrade to: another XT and start again? a big boxy high ride height territory? a FWD?

The fleets want a plain efficient highway hauler, then to add a G6ET spec to compete in the sportswagon market thats all we want... ah well. too late now... maybe the taurus will have a decent wagon shape.