Default Re: What will be the next "Classic"

And any genuine and original vl turbo
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #62
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there any GENUINE ones left ??

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #63
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
Try finding an AUIII Tickford XR8 Ute in good condition thats for sale? If you know of one in WA PM me
Why not buy a pursuit ute? There are a couple of autos for sale at the moment in WA on carsales?
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #64
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When we owned our XC-update Fairmont GXL, we had the four door trims redone by a very talented old guy. He covered them expertly and even, somehow, redid the little felt circles on the chrome surrounds of the door lock buttons. Took a bit of time to track down a couple of good armrests, but he did an amazing job with them as well.

He said something to me, regarding new cars with thier sculpted and injection moulded interiors, that I always remembered.

"If a man made it, a man can fix it...once you start making absolutely everything, including full door trims, out of one big piece of moulded plastic and complex shapes like a new car has inside, you're just about stuffed."

As for cars, I'd add the VK Calais with the 3.3 EFI Holden motor. The last of anything is always going to be worth something to some collector in years to come.

The trick is to find whatever car you have chosen in as close as possible to original and unmolested condition...or be able to easily return it to such condition.
I remember a full page color advert for motor oil (Castrol?) in Street Machine magazine back in the 1990's, which had some young guy proudly taking a knee beside a gold HK Monaro. The story beside it said something about his grandfather buying it brand new, and then it got passed to him with very few kilometers on the clock. He said "A genuine GTS Bathurst 327 Monaro, a piece of motoring history, all mine!".
So of course he then proceeds to tell how he stripped it down, repainted it, modified the interior, rebuilt and modded the motor, changed the wheels and suspension, and everything else.

Thanks buddy...you've got a nice Monaro...worth maybe a quarter of the value it would have been if you'd have left it alone and kept your greasy mitts off it...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 30-04-2011 at 01:01 AM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #65
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

351 Manual XD's I hope I have one
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #66
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs
there any GENUINE ones left ??
yeah still a couple getting around my cousin has one Calais Turbo with a factory body kit auto with around 170,000kms
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #67
burnz
VFII SS UTE

atlas gray VNSS
VR GTS/R
HSV W427
VH grp3 HBD
brock monza
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #68
sudszy
Banned

Im sure its been said before, its difficult to have that classic fell unless the end of the car is made of metal(bumpers)
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 03:07 AM   #69
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I constitute as a real classic has to be a vehicle that is some what accessible in a sense to a large percentage of people and still remain special.

It's easy to list cars like the EL GT, the AU T-Series, the ED XR6 Sprint. Yet if you didn't follow the Ford subculture, you wouldn't particularly have a great deal of respect for said cars nor knowledge of them.

The next classic for me is simple: Ford Falcon BA/BF XR6 Turbo & the FPV F6.

Great looks. Power and a complete game changer in a sense at the time. I think, come 20-25 years a lot of older gentlemen will be looking for the final few thousand clean and stock examples.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #70
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then again, a "classic" doesn't have to be a rip snorting fire breathing performance machine.

It can just as easily (sometimes more easily) be something that used to be extremely common, that was well loved, that everyone remembers fondly. It could have been a cheap little tin box that was common as belly buttons, but when you see one now twenty, thirty, or forty years later, it brings a smile to the face and a thought of "Gee I'd love to have a nice one of them..."
Old 30-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #71
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the EB/D XR6/8's will a classic. At the moment, they are not sought after, and a lot are being wrecked/stripped, which reduces the number available and impact on price tomorrow. I think they will be similar in years to come as to what an XY/XA/XB GS is today.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #72
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Then again, a "classic" doesn't have to be a rip snorting fire breathing performance machine.

It can just as easily (sometimes more easily) be something that used to be extremely common, that was well loved, that everyone remembers fondly. It could have been a cheap little tin box that was common as belly buttons, but when you see one now twenty, thirty, or forty years later, it brings a smile to the face and a thought of "Gee I'd love to have a nice one of them..."
How very true. Back in the days when all the boys were throwing Holleys and so on at their GTs, Monaros, Toranas, and Chargers, a young bloke I knew had a mint EK wagon with the only mod from standard being chromies and radials to suit.
We all laughed at his old heap of junk, but I'd be pleased to own it now ....
Girls seemed to like it just as well as the tyre-melters, if not more so - there's a lot less room in the back of an XU-1.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #73
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatty
You need a lot more than a car beeing rare to be a collectable classic.
ed,au,ba,bf,fg falcons(besides the supercharged ones)are all dime a dozen.you can pick up any of these for a third of the new price.
Thats what they said About HQs, there were so many of them in wreckers they started racing them because they were so cheap. Now a nice 6cyl example will pull nearly as much as a BA/F XR.

I don't think to be a classic it has to be a halo car, or a limited number. Plenty of 'Classics' are just restored cars from peoples Youth, so in that sense everything will be a classic sooner or later.

Even old Aussie built RWD Corollas are getting more and more expensive as people want to drift them.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #74
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

My picks would be the XD and XE ESP's such a unique car and the last of the Clevo v8 .
The BA Typhoon a very rare and unique package with only a manual option at the time.
The BA GT series 1's as the very earlier ones was only a manual option and there quite unique engine package in the earlier cars .The last of the 5 speed manual and 4 speed auto GT's made.
I picked these as the modern type collectables because of there unique and rare features from other models in there progression.
The next X series cars to hit off will be the XA and XB's especially the coupes.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #75
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When we owned our XC-update Fairmont GXL, we had the four door trims redone by a very talented old guy. He covered them expertly and even, somehow, redid the little felt circles on the chrome surrounds of the door lock buttons. Took a bit of time to track down a couple of good armrests, but he did an amazing job with them as well.

He said something to me, regarding new cars with thier sculpted and injection moulded interiors, that I always remembered.

"If a man made it, a man can fix it...once you start making absolutely everything, including full door trims, out of one big piece of moulded plastic and complex shapes like a new car has inside, you're just about stuffed."
So very true, think about it..it'd be almost impossible to restore a T3 or FG GT to original spec 40 years from now. Too much computer
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #76
V8 6I

Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars are always classics with metal bumpers and cheap to own and run.
V8 6I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #77
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

XD-XE ESP's they are already starting to climb. The EA Brock and maybe the SVO's they are rare. EB + EL GT's and the ED Sprint, limited run cars are always going to be sought after and to more recent cars the current turbo falcons in both Ford and FPV guise. This is assuming that we still have fuel at a resonable price to drive these in 10-15 years.

Cheers

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #78
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

FG2 FPV's

Last of the rear wheel drive big bangers.

PS: I hope I'm very wrong
Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #79
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

couldn't agree more. EH Holdens spring to mind. Not exactly high performance vehicles, mass produced, no memorable racing pedigree but these days fit the bill of a desirable classic. Different story if we are looking at what is the next GTHO.... Honestly don't think there will be one. Storing a modern car away as a future investment? Good luck. I reckon the cars that will be regarded as future classics are already known to be such, as mentioned VK/VL Calais, VL Turbos, any of the HSV/SS/Group A stable (SV5000 et al basically any pre-LS equipped things) ESP's, Tickfords (esp T3s), R32 GTRs (definitely already there) and Monaros (esp GTO) to name a few. My thought is for it to hold any future value it needs to be desirable in the first place yet accessible enough for it to be seen and experienced rather than just read about. Needs to strike a nerve in ones memory (eg. "so-and so's Dad had one of those, what a car!").... And why not mention the XR6 Turbos for good measure. Common enough and at the rate they are being butchered and written off, they are destined to be a classic.

That's basically my random thoughts on the subject fuelled by James Boag
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #80
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are a few basic things we can draw from "classics" of the past, which will probably apply to "future classics" as well and from which we can take a few lessons:

* Stuff with a well known racing pedigree - But this is obvious. We all expect them to be valuable classics one day.
On to the interesting stuff...not many people will be able to afford the exotic stuff, but what about every day cars that should be watched carefully?

* Cars that are either the first or last of a line - A HZ Kingswood, a VB Commodore, an XC-Update Falcon, an XD Falcon, probably the XE Falcon, stuff like that.
* Cars with a limited run, but not neccisarily anything exotic at the time - VK Commodores and Calais with the EFI Holden "black" motor, VL Turbos, AE86 Corollas (but it's probably a bit late to find cheap ones of those), early VN V6's with the Buick motor, stuff like that.
* Cars that were a nightmare to own and which had well-known reliability issues, but otherwise were interesting cars - most will be in the wreckers or gone to the crushers...but what if you've actually got one in good running order? Fill in whatever car you've got floating in the back of your mind for this one.
* Cars that were sold as workhorses - utes mainly. Common utes...the commoner and cheaper the better. For example, try and find a good early Holden Rodeo or Toyota Hilux nowadays. Look at modern utes that are unusual and are sold cheaply, like those Mahindra things you occasionally see advertised.

But in the end it all comes down to one big gamble. You either buy something you fondly remember and the only value it might end up having is the value you get from the enjoyment of taking it for a sunday drive or showing it somewhere, or you might buy something that ends up being worth a fortune, and you then have to pick the right time to sell it.

I believe that's half the fun though...
Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #81
Whiskeyonesix

Volvo 360GLT........

....no wait, don't laugh!!!

RWD, Rear-mounted gearbox, leaf springs, 2-litre engine, de-doin suspension set-up.... only around 20,000 sold in Australia, unloved by pretty much everyone including the Volvo Owners Club ( Not a "proper" Volvo ).

Not many good ones left at all - especially as the ZOMGRWD TrampDrift crowd take an interest in them (Weld up the diff, slam it to the ground, matt black bonnet, Bobs yer uncle!).

So... Classic, nope. Collectable? Nope. Rare? Most certainly!

New brake switch at 203k+211k, new Discs and Pads + service at 212k
Whiskeyonesix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #82
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
* Cars that were a nightmare to own and which had well-known reliability issues, but otherwise were interesting cars - most will be in the wreckers or gone to the crushers...but what if you've actually got one in good running order? Fill in whatever car you've got floating in the back of your mind for this one.

That would be nearly every Citroen then ?
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #83
RAPID_BA
Banned

I honestly think the el model and the ba\bf model, common place cars now but well regarded for their looks and performance, they have a huge following, over the years they will becomr rarer and rarer and rarer, the following of fans will remain.

Many of us own these models know, we will be paying gor them later to rekindle our youth
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #84
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Interesting you should say this.. an identical idea was posted on the first page of the thread regarding the ever faulty EA.. this idea was instantly deleted as "pointless post" by the moderator on the scene at the time...

hopefully an itchy trigger finger doesn't also dismiss your unique idea as junk before anyone's had a chance to read it.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #85
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, todays annoying frustrations with some particular car can quite easily become tomorrows "endearing quirks".

The Volvo 360GLT is a very interesting one. It was panned widely in the motoring press, but they didn't actually say it was a bad car, just it wasn't up to the usual Volvo standards, and being the first "small hatchback" from the maker, it had big shoes to fill.

Also, when was the last time you saw a Gemini coupe? Come to that, how about an Escort...any Escort but especially a late model 2 liter manual...on the street?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #86
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, todays annoying frustrations with some particular car can quite easily become tomorrows "endearing quirks".

The Volvo 360GLT is a very interesting one. It was panned widely in the motoring press, but they didn't actually say it was a bad car, just it wasn't up to the usual Volvo standards, and being the first "small hatchback" from the maker, it had big shoes to fill.

Also, when was the last time you saw a Gemini coupe? Come to that, how about an Escort...any Escort but especially a late model 2 liter manual...on the street?
Agreed, those old Geminis, Escorts, Cortinas and Toranas are already considered classics aren't they?? God knows the price tag these days does reflect that.

Heard of the EDSEL?? Although old enough to be a classic in it's own right, these were well known as being crap boxes even in their early days (for any Disney fans, there's a joke about chopping up an Edsel as being 'the only decent thing to do' in the movie Herbie: The Love Bug as early as 1968 when the Edsel was barely 10 years old). Production ceased after only 3 years meaning very limited numbers, most of which were probably on the scrap heap within 10 years or so. They were ugly, poorly built and just generally very ordinary.

The EA although being produced in massive numbers is dying off quickly these days due to it's many faults, poor reputation, love-it-or-hate-it looks and the very reasonable price of the far superior AU/BA models. Keeping an EA or early EB in good nik might pay off in future. (this was the bulk of my original pointless post) especially the rare V8 or manual models.. time will tell

Also when the BA came out, there was a look back over the AU years in a motoring publication in which i clearly remember "the AU looks set to be come Falcon's EDSEL".. that I doubt, but the EA.. possibly

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #87
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Down in Rockhampton yesterday I saw a very nice EA Falcon beside us at the lights. The only apparent "mod" was that it had the 16" wheels off a later model XR6 on it, but otherwise was just standard height and very clean and tidy, with good paint and the badges all appeared to be good as well.
It was obviously very well looked after and had that "made yesterday" look to it, and even though it was only a base model Falcon GL, it was a very nice looking car and would have to be worth good money.

In a similar vein, we saw a clean and tidy VL Executive parked in the target car park. It was a beige colour, looked bog standard, and even had damn Holden hubcaps on it. The paint was a little faded on the roof, but it just looked "right" as well.

Things like this could well be considered a "classic" one day, who knows? The thing is, if you have garage space or a spare carport, they certainly don't cost that much at the moment, so if you have a little spare cash to "gamble" with, is it such a big worry to have them sitting around just to see what happens?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #88
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
There won't be because they'll be all too common.

The classics of today are classics because nobody thought they would be worth something 30+ years on and seeing them isn't an everyday occurance for the average joe. Alot of people these days think that any car from the mid 90's onwards with the words "GT" on it are everyones desire and "must have" vehicle as it's going to be a classic one day without a doubt.

The problem with this is that they may turn out to be wrong if everyones keeping these cars or storing them away. They won't be worth anything in 10 - 15 years from now because when they go to sell there EL or BA GT for eg hoping to make a bundle, they'll have 20 more ads next to theres advertising the same thing

Just my 2c..

But how many ppl really do have the room, will or $$ to tuck away a car for 15-30 years?? ppl have accidents cars become wrecks and go to the wreckers i think the monanro is the main classic from right now that will be sought after hell they already are, any monaro now is worth 3 times the same model SS even though they were similarly priced when new.

I think the 300Z and skyline will be a classic too.

in 30 years i think electric cars will be way more common and petrol cars few (on the roads) and expensive

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #89
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

I am going go against the grain and say the C4 Corvette. I grew up lusting for cars in the 1980's and early 90's.

The C4 corvette would of have been one of the nicest looking cars from the 80's. Pontiac Firebird/Camaro aside. Sure they made 386,000 odd of them (note: thats heaps) but the number of good ones are dwindling.

I like to think of it this way, the Ford Mustang made 600,000 in the first year but now when we look at them, its still one of the most desired models.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #90
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another point is that the particular car has to survive through the "bottom of the curve" of value.

Everyone, but everyone remembers, or knows of, the times years back when you could pick up even XY GT's for a song. in 1981 a friend of mine bought a gold with black stripes XY GT for $4100, in excellent condition. It was the grooms car at our wedding, and he sold it some years back for $40,000 when prices were on the rise. He lamented how high the prices for XYGT's rose in the years after that.
Not to mention when early Monaros (unless they were something unusual or rare like a genuine Bathurst) went for a few thousand, Chargers the same. Hell, it was only the mid-1990's when you could get a good registered Valiant sedan for maybe $2000 to $3000 at most. Now even a dirty old Ranger or XL sedan is worth maybe over $10,000 or more.

If a car can survive the period when it's value inevitably dips and people either scrap them or unload them when prices start to drop "while they're still worth something as a trade-in", and you can keep a good one and tough out the times when they're worth not much better than scrap value, you could be on a winner. Years later people will be groaning and tearing thier hair out, saying: "I used to own one of those damn things and sold it for a song...look what they're bringing now!!"

My own personal experience with that was buying my Charger when I was 18 (in 1983) for $1800, then trading it in sometime in 1985 for $2000 on a Torana. This was a good price...a very good price...for a Charger at the time. It was a disc-braked XL four speed manual with 265 hemi 2 barrel engine and 2.92 diff ratio. I don't even want to know what it's be worth now...