Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #61
Highway

well if it was to be between a EA/B and a VR. no way i would buy the EA/B....
Old 04-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #62
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

every single mate that i have, either have lost there licence, or drive a commodore, VS's, VZ's VU VT VE, i had one mate that had a ed xr6 which was nice, but then i heard a rumour that he was sick of not keeping up with me, so then he went and got a vu ss, i simply asked him why holden, and he said because he hated au xr8's and the ba's were to expensive, so obvisouly it comes down to price and looks? maybe they like the looks of holdens with the price they come with... i personaly think Ba's and Bf's are the best looking ford ever, so if i was looking for a car and i had ten grand to spend, i wouldnt be able to get a nice ba for ten, id be stuck with an AU, which in my eyes are the best looking cars, but when you look at holden you can get a vx, vu, etc for around that price...
im not sure its a good thread, i am sick of my mates in there holdens. they all get the point about my car and most of them are asking when im selling it, so i think ill get them changing shortly.
in my eyes the most popular P plater holden around here are VE's, VZ's, VU's, most of them are utes also.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #63
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

I am a p plater who drives fords. I think most of the time it comes down to the whole holden vs ford dilemma. They dont even look at the falcon because its a ford. I can appreciate a nice commodore but I reckon the falcons are so much nicer to drive in. Go for a drive in any commodore say VN-VT then go for a drive in an EA-AU. The commodores I find are way to plastic like and rattle bad and the power delivery is good but rough. Hard to explain. I find the falcon alot more nicer to sit in and the power delivery is smooth and not as stuttery/shakey plus I prefer the sound of the falcon 6 instead of the boring v6 sound.

But its good they all go for the commodores. Keeps the idiots out of the falcons so more for us to enjoy. Its funny watching the look on their faces when the old falcon leaves them at the lights. They dont know that other models besides the XR6 and XR8 also got tickford motors haha

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Old 04-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #64
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
i dont drive a commy can i have ya sisters phone number......

I think it is even very hard to hold a conversation with a dyed in the wool Holden fan, you just cannot communicate with them they have nothing to back up their 'Falcons are crap' arguement.
I can appreciate any nice car in its own merits no matter what make or model it is i just have a preferance for the Blue oval, i would not be upset if the was a VE GTS in my garage (next to a ford though)
When i had my TE i used to get all that kinda crap. I never get the same 'Ford is crap' now i have the XR5T also the look on some commodore driver faces when they get by a little Focus, and falcons too
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 04-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #65
sleek7

My cousin is due for a new ute maybe this year (hes 23, but not long off Ps) and he came round to my place to scope out some prices on the net. He was keen on getting an VY II SS (currently owns a 25year old holden ute, cant remember model, its older than he is :P). I suggested why not look at an xr8? And got the "it's a ford...." reply.....
So after a bit of niggling he agreed to have a look and was very surprised when he saw he could get a BA for about the same price and a BAII for a tad more and then was even more surprised that the xr8 smashed the VYII for power AND torque. We also read plenty of reviews and the xr8 came out on top of each review, albeit only just with alot of emphasis that the xr8 had a better ride and feel.
So after an hours researching I could tell he was fighting himself on the inside as he umm'd and arrrr'd, but in the end he fell back on the red side of the fence and said something along the line of 'its what ive got now so i gotta stay loyal'......

Ive not given up hope on him yet as hes still a while off upgrading, but I have hope that I can make him see the light, and not just pick a car because of brand loyalty....
Old 04-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #66
BradZ
I'm still alive

Just to add on the whole ignorance thing, i posted this on the Holden Forum and it got deleted straight away.

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-5000k Headlight conversion
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub
-Pioneer Class D Digital 800W Amp

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Build Thread http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11344773
Old 04-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #67
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
Regardless of any of that...

vs

Pretty clear winner. And why young guys buy Commodores.

Even being a Ford driver myself. The VR is the better looking car, and it's reflected by the question that has driven this very thread.
The EA was considered one of the most "hansome" large cars of it's day globally and the best looking large car in the global Ford lineup. So I think the argument of which was considered better looking at the time goes to the Falcon if you do some research.

The mix of VN/P and EA/B/D is pretty even around my way with P platers. Actually for some reason if a P plate girl has a large sedan it's an early E-series.

It's all about perception and peer pressure IMO. "Commodores are just fully hectic!!"

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Old 04-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #68
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1 - There cheap to buy and insure
2 - Plenty of parts

Oh and for the price they are looking at a VL to VN or an EA/B/D, if I had to choose I would go the commodore because the early E series fords were shocking!!
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #69
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

im a p plater and drive a ford. my mate drives a heavily worked volvo 240 r sport 88 model on 19's. we both do mechanics courses through tafe, and do a bit of work in shops on weekends. when someone says f***kin ford or f***kin eurobox volvo, we have the knowledge till tell people mechanically why they're good. most people dont even know what cams do at my school. if you can back up a smart **** comment with a logical mecahanical answer, people just walk away. like my au gets called grandpa car all the time. yet when i tell people it's got an overhead cam straight 6 pushrod type engine, and it has a two piece headgasket to further prevent over heating it's like enuf said. and that's not even mechanically indepth. people make smart **** comments coz they're either jealous or they don't know enough mechanically about they're own car or the one they're bagging out.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #70
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

more to the OP, i have a mate with a vl, he bought it because it would look good dumped to the floor on chrome 19's and to his credit it does, but mechanically it's a different story. so a modding factor of commodores is a big factor in my area any way.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #71
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

When i was in high school everyone wanted a VL Calais, they were the bee's knee's.
They were completely unique with the flip up headlights and could be ordered with a lively 6 or 5.0 option, as a Ford fan i had to hang my hat on a strong caravan tower with colour coded taillight lense deviders and oscillating vents...

This in itself is where Ford have continually let themselves down.
Rather than offering something unique, an attention grabber, they stick with decal packages and gizmo's that only hardened fans relate too.
The proof is in the pudding, remember the fuss over the BA bonnet bulge...It was unique.

People bag Holden for spending big dollars on low build models; Walkinshaw, VN Aero/GrpA, VP GTS, VR GTS/R, Maloo, Monaro, Coupe4, etc. etc.
Yes, they are HSV products, but Holden have made an art of keeping the two varients under the one umbrella to the general public.
Every young fella wants a HSV, although in the day only a few could afford it.
The next best thing was to have a Commodore with a bodykit and wheels.

Ford have always been too conservative, it took them ages to accept appearance altering bodykits, then we got the EB GT. Then they decided to go overboard and offered the EL GT...with 136 piece bodykit that in all honesty wouldnt hold a candle to the track pack GTS/R in looks, not that im a fan of Taxi yellow myself.

Face it, Holden/HSV might not be making a fortune, but they are popular because they arent afraid to go outside the square and inspire the next generation.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #72
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Clearly I am biased (as a member of the Ford Forums, and not Ls1...)

But put it this way - If I was buying RIGHT NOW with between $6000-$7000 this is how I would go:

1990 = VN SS (P-plate legal - and also - what from the Ford range could compete? EA Fairmont Ghia ? Nope)
1991-93 = EB Fairmont Ghia (vs a VP Calais, the EB ghia is gorgeous)
1994-1995 = EF XR6 (I'll pay that a VR Calais does look good, but an XR6 way more sporty)

To answer the OP... why do more P-platers choose commodores...
Relate it to their experience (life experience, road experiece, past experience)
They know nothing but think they know everything...

Which is why they make poor choices (ie: Should have bought a Ford)...
Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #73
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Because Holdens are Australian and Fords are American, duh.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #74
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Why does it even matter?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 04-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #75
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendoau99
im a p plater and drive a ford. my mate drives a heavily worked volvo 240 r sport 88 model on 19's. we both do mechanics courses through tafe, and do a bit of work in shops on weekends. when someone says f***kin ford or f***kin eurobox volvo, we have the knowledge till tell people mechanically why they're good. most people dont even know what cams do at my school. if you can back up a smart **** comment with a logical mecahanical answer, people just walk away. like my au gets called grandpa car all the time. yet when i tell people it's got an overhead cam straight 6 pushrod type engine, and it has a two piece headgasket to further prevent over heating it's like enuf said. and that's not even mechanically indepth. people make smart **** comments coz they're either jealous or they don't know enough mechanically about they're own car or the one they're bagging out.
lol Sorry but that reminds me of the line from fast n furious tokyo drift.. "oh so you can read the brochure". Can see what you mean though.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #76
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

I honestly remember the first time I did yr 12, and all the guys had commodores, not one of them could give a technical reason as to why, just "it was cheap".
The second time I did yr 12 (I got lazy and had no direction) I had a HZ panel van and my mate had a HZ stato. Everyone was in awe of them, the only reasons we drove them? Mine cost me 200bucks, his was his parents gift to him.

There was a huge thing amongst the kids in my school about cheap to run, cheap to fix, easier to work on yourself etc. And a lot of "fords are s***".
What's even more unnerving is the fact a mate of mine's boyfriend drives a VR commie (which I owned after I put the pano in the shed for a rainy day project), it's stock as hell (bar the "fully sick rims bro"), and he craps on about how he can outrun all fords, and it's not even just a smart aleck comment (this kid is 24, still on his P's), it's complete "I know better than you, even though I essentially know nothing about cars but what my dad told me, and you're an engineer and understand the concept of kilowatts, weight, acceleration etc" until one day he tried to beat me from a stand still and failed hard. Didn't even realise it's because I was driving an EF XR6 at the time. This same person didn't even give me the credit to trust me when I put my old K&N from my toyommodore into his car, he was actually worried I'd break his car.

Essentially, a lot of kids these days get their opinions from their parents, hell, we're a ford family at heart, always have been, but if Holden presented a better vehicle mechanically and engineering wise, I'd probably give it a chance. It's like politics, just regurgitated opinions, based on nothing but what you hear as a kid.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #77
dopefish

Most P platers I know prefer 4 bangers and find 6cyl falcons/commodores to be bogan cars. The 'bogan' P platers prefer the commodore because its not 'rice crap' aka Japanese. (Although Korean is probably applicable too these days.)

prior to driving a falcon I owned a few 4 bangers and it's only by chance that I happened to get a falcon. It uses too much fuel and It's got high KM but to be honest I find it to be a comfortable car with a bit of power to tow things bit of power to accelerate easy to drive airbag and everything like that.

If I had a gas one I'd be happy as larry haha. :-)
Old 04-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #78
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate bought a VN as his first car on his P's. Only because it was cheap. But now he goes on how good it(and holden) is.
"Oh its so fast, oh it sounds awesome" and stuff like that.

I said to him. is it a VN? He goes. Nah its a V6.

LOL
Old 04-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #79
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it weren't for VY S Packs and SV6's being more expensive than similar BA counterparts when looking for my first car, I honestly would of ended up in a Commodore. So price played a factor for me.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #80
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
My mate bought a VN as his first car on his P's. Only because it was cheap. But now he goes on how good it(and holden) is.

LOL
That sounds about right.

I'm a P-plater, and I bought my Falcon because it was the right car at the right price, not because I'm a Falcon lover (although I am now after owning one). Full sized, powerful and comfy. I had looked at a few Commos but one of them stalled when I did a lock-to-lock turn, another stalled in reverse and they were all really uncomfortable. The Falcons and Magnas I drove were fairly tight and much better drives.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #81
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO commodores from vb to vs were better looking than any ford in the same time period. The EF-EL are ok looking but VP-VR looks heaps better. VT and AU shape are both very ugly cars. But Ford with the BA are very close to the VY-VY.

HSV have made some nice looking cars that usually look better than anything ford has put out.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #82
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
The commodore revs harder and are more involving to drive, wheras the falcon is more lazy in it's driving delivery. The falcon is not slower than the commodore by any means, but just feels slower and more relaxed, which isn't what a young driver wants in a vehicle.

More like the commodore is alot coarser and harsher giving the perception its screaming, whereas the falcon IS alot more refined making its power without as much effort, therefore translating into a more refined drive.

Its as simple as that, and if anyone thinks different, you really are dreaming.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
Old 04-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #83
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

sorry guys, I am a ford fan, but I just bought myself a vl wagon for $2,000, whilst my toyota 4runner 4wd is off the road

first thing is first, 4.11's and a mini spool
gotta have some fun while i wait to replace the engine in my other car lol

yet, i'm still on fordforums *hides*

Last edited by kyro_02; 04-02-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #84
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
sorry guys, I am a ford fan, but I just bought myself a vl wagon for $2,000, whilst my toyota 4runner 4wd is off the road

first thing is first, 4.11's and a mini spool
gotta have some fun while i wait to replace the engine in my other car lol

yet, i'm still on fordforums *hides*
Typical of a Pies supporter

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
Old 04-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #85
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50
Typical of a Pies supporter

Last time I checked there was no VL in my drive way ???
Old 04-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #86
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

LOL
Sums it up really, i had a laugh
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 04-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #87
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

most p platers end up with others people crap thats cheap because there students working casual part time jobs. which doent pay that much. and commodores happen to be a bit cheaper than falcons. (2nd hand). my first car was a hyundai excel which i bought for 300 bux with 9 months rego. biggest POS ever!. but never broke down on the road....
Old 04-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #88
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
That is thje funniest thing I have ever heard

BA XR8 Manual
Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #89
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradZ
Whenever i see P platers around my town about 99% are Commodores. Which makes me wonder why do so many of them not just dislike, but HATE Fords?? A quick google search revealed every single model of Commo and Falcon of the same year, the Falcon has MORE power and torque, every single model! It has me beat as to why they all despise Falcons so much. Is it watching V8 Supercars when younger or what?
Not everyone buys a car based on power, and torque mate. I've driven more Falcons, and generally had more experience with them over the years.

Looks are a very subjective thing, but in general I think Commodores are nicer looking cars. Especially VBs-VLs.

Mechanical wise? I think Falcons have the edge, but Commodores aren't that far behind. I know some Commodores that have served their owners very well, but Falcons a have a slightly better reputation for reliability which is represented by there being more Falcons being used as taxis. Plus many members of my family own Falcons, so I have a good idea about them.

I guess to put it simply I don't hate, or dislike Falcons. I just like Commodores more.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #90
fairBA
Banned

Wouldn't most P platers be buying in VT/VX era now? Which means the Falcon model of the same era would be the....... and there's your answer.

Last edited by fairBA; 04-02-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Closed Thread