Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #61
cm335

looks like my..... and that aint pretty believe me, but alot of effort went into it 4 sure
cm335 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #62
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the problem with it's overall looks are that anyone who knows which part is from where is probably so passionate about one side and not the other, they cannot really appreciate the looks, even if they can appreciate the workmanship

the detached observers may appreciate the looks, but not the workmanship, because they do not know any different

when looking at the overall car, i see a holden, because the shell is a holden. when seeing a mustang, i am only looking at the front. to me, probably because the mustang front is so distinctive and the rear is less than attractive, it looks like two different cars, even though they are joined - a bitsa

once again the workmanship is great, but it doesn't do anything for me. they would have to pay me to take it
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #63
Sloth

On Sunrise:

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video...89/the-folden/
Old 07-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #64
mrniceguy

Why would you go to all that time and effort to build a "novelty" car??
mrniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #65
Davebro

They were building this before I left NZ, they did a big poll to see which parts of what cars would go together well.

Looks ok, but yeah, interesting!

End of the day they are auctioning it to raise money for Men's mental Health, so a good cause.

Last edited by Davebro; 07-05-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Davebro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #66
GrimmReaper09

Thumbs down Wtf!!!

This is absolute sacrilege
GrimmReaper09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #67
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats wrong on so many levels.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #68
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Aha safer than a Prius.. At least it stops....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #69
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrniceguy
Why would you go to all that time and effort to build a "novelty" car??
To create publicity. All you need to do to set off a media frenzy is find a couple of groups of opposing zealots and push their buttons.

All of a sudden there is a huge boom the the majority of the people in the world who do not care even slightly about the subject matter take a look to see what all the fuss is about and then remember the people who created the publicity.
The rest of the media jump on the band wagon keeping the story on the front page causing the zealots to rant and rave even more.

The nett result is, in this case, the radio station who built this car got free advertising on several TV networks, in newspapers, on the internet and even on opposing radio stations that is worth $millions.

It worked on a very simple principle. To a Holden Zealot the mention of the F word sets them off like a mentos in a coke bottle and to a Ford zealot the mention of the H word causes an academy award winning frog in a sock imitation. So mixing it together gives you frogs in socks inside a coke bottles with a mentos in them. (sure to be a youtube winner)

Bloody clever marketing.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #70
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Only just seen this thread (thanks you Auslandau for closing the other and putting a link) and I am puzzled by the outrage displayed here. My first reaction was WOW - how clever is this and doesn't it look great!

To all those that asked "Why...." I say "Why not."

Others writing that this is "Sacrilege" - I hear the same word being used by members of the old school GT Club about any modern GT that has any modifications. So I suppose if you have done any modifications to your Ford then you may have offended plenty of Ford fans yourselves.

I have done lots to mine and I've read all the posts about how shakers rate (or don't) blah blah blah.

It is a fantastically successful publicity stunt for a very good cause and good on them for finding something that was novel and worked. It was sold for NZ$62,700 which was a great buy for some lucky person as this was beautifully done and I thought it looked great. We get used to looking at the same old thing and yes, it looks slightly foreign but hardly an abomination.

There are plenty of Fords that make me cringe and lots of them belong to AFF members. Many have Holden 'touches' but who cares? Not sitting in my garage (so has no impact on me) and if it brings pleasure to them then good on them.

See it for what it is - a successful advertising tool that raised a lot of money for a great cause, with ease.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #71
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I am somewhat surprised that people who claim to be car enthusiats can make some of the statements made in this thread.

Let me quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Some nutter might get a plane to NZ and do terrible things to the perpetrators.
We have plenty of threads on this forum about what should be done to those who deliberately damage cars (sentiments that we can all understand) - so how come it suddenly becomes acceptable? A comment of this nature is not only illegal it is also morally reprehensible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Burn these idiots alive. Then burn the "Folden".
So now we accept murder in addition to vandalism as acceptable practice? Refer comment above.

When we put this together with the quotes in the other thread I simply find myself amazed that we can be so intolerant. As a car enthusiast I can appreciate the effort and workmanship that has gone into this and I am also sure that the new owner will consider it his pride and joy in much the same way as we view our own vehicles. If being passionate about our cars means that we have to be intolerant of the taste that other have then we have seriously lost the plot.

There are Holden designs I admire along with efforts from many of the motor manufacturers across the globe but I can equally admire the workmanship and care that someone has put into any car regardless of whether I find that model appealing or not. That's their passion and if we fail to acknowledge that then we have become something (as a society) that I'd rather not be.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 12:26 AM   #72
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
That's their passion and if we fail to acknowledge that then we have become something (as a society) that I'd rather not be
Oh we all acknowledge that, but can't we still hate it? you know, in a Ford vs Holden kind of way...?

Why on earth are you trying to apply calm logic to a tribalistic passion!
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you

Last edited by russellw; 29-05-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: I think I said burning it wasn't an option
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 12:57 AM   #73
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
Oh we all acknowledge that, but can't we still hate it? you know, in a Ford vs Holden kind of way...?

Why on earth are you trying to apply calm logic to a tribalistic passion!

There's nothing wrong with the friendly banter; the problem is allowing the mention of seriously worrying comments.

But the minute you (yourself) accept misconduct/crime/harm as "friendly", or unjustly wish the same on any person or their property, that's when you become a worry to society.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 01:36 AM   #74
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love it. Sexy Mustang looks, practical Holden interior and the good old 302ci 5.0L

This car is a winning combination. It's unique, well presented, powerful, and most of all it grabs your attention and judging by some responses, it's grabbing it by the balls of some.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #75
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
practical Holden interior
you must not have sat in both an early 70's ford and holden. there is no comparison with the interior - and the hq-z does not win
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #76
xp_ute

www.invadenewzealand.com
xp_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #77
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like it.....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #78
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

Well in the end it was sold to a strip club in the south island for just over 60,000$.It was on the breakfast show over here and one of the main presenters"Paul Henry" went off on it and said it is just plain terrible,why would someone destroy one of the most beautiful looking mustangs just to attatch it to that hideous looking holden rear end,it is just sickening i mean come on the hq is just appaling in its looks he said.
HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #79
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Why is everyone making the assumption that a Mustang has been ruined for this project. These parts are readily available at low cost from the USA - new and used. I have a few friends that have built completely new ones from the ground up, this way.

There is also the possibility that it was built from two wrecks and frankly I doubt that they would have used two complete good cars - just doesn't make economic sense. I would imagine that it would be easier to find the HQ rear (with it being left from a front end accident) and then buy the Ford panels/spare parts from the USA for the front end.

Can we please stop crying over this so called catastrophe.

Gaela

Quote:

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
Old 29-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #80
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp_ute
Hahaha love it.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #81
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
There is also the possibility that it was built from two wrecks and frankly I doubt that they would have used two complete good cars - just doesn't make economic sense. I would imagine that it would be easier to find the HQ rear (with it being left from a front end accident) and then buy the Ford panels/spare parts from the USA for the front end.
I don't think this has been posted yet, there is a gallery of progress pictures from the build here. (Scroll down below the comments). Looks like a complete HQ and a wrecked Mustang front chop.
Old 29-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #82
Monkey
XM FALCON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
To a Holden Zealot the mention of the F word sets them off like a mentos in a coke bottle and to a Ford zealot the mention of the H word causes an academy award winning frog in a sock imitation. So mixing it together gives you frogs in socks inside a coke bottles with a mentos in them.
So true
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #83
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth
I don't think this has been posted yet, there is a gallery of progress pictures from the build here. (Scroll down below the comments). Looks like a complete HQ and a wrecked Mustang front chop.
Thanks for that SLOTH - we can all sleep again knowing a perfectly good Mustang was not sacrificed!

Quote: