Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #61
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANELCORP
OK

The RTA has confirmed that all vehicles will be listed on the Stat write Off register - so no moving them interstate by insurers, dodgy repairers or sellers

They will be listed just like a car that has money owing on it is listed on REVS

Old cars will be fine as the majority of insurers who have them (shannons) will not let them be written off

This is a law to stop illegal activity - not remove classics from the road

Salvage values should drop meaning more cars are repaired and returned to the road - classics will always be OK as they normally have agreed value cover and are over insured (I know mine are), because of the rarity of them.
Not to mention that only vehicles under 15 years old require a WOVR (written off vehicle register)
Old 25-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #62
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well simple answer is that something needs to be done.

Will this be the solution i can't answer that but i certainly think that it can't do any harm.

I have now bought 6 or so repairable written off cars from fowles auctions. I have bought all bar 1 with the intention of stripping them for parts. I was looking for cars with particular mechanicals and it took a while to get them at the right price. Some people it seems will pay almost market value for a written off car. (i wonder why) The scary part of this is that some repairable write offs are just simply too far gone to ever be repaired to a 'safe' condition without completey rebuilding on a new chassis.

Maybe if cars that were written off were better classified as Repairable or Statutory would be a better solution without upsetting the apple cart.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #63
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

the only ones to profit from this new law are the panel shops

the panel shops now have the insurance companies over a barrell.. Either they pay for the repairs or lose on the salvage. Panel shop prices will jump aka the LPG rebate and install costs. A large percentage of the 'bargaining' power the insurance company had deeming the viabilty of repairs vs salvage value is now gone.

Any loss the insurance companies will now start to take will be passed on in increased premiums. -1 to the average punter.

Car rebirths will not cease. THe cars will still be stolen in NSW and rebirthed in another state. -1 for the punter that losses his car or buys a rebirth.

Parts prices will not come down, wreckers only need(want) a certain level of stock. Ever been to a wrecking yard that wasn't full?? Yes it may be cheaper for them to purchase a stat dec but the increase in labour to dismantle, rent for new or larger holding yards etc will not see any discounts passed on. -1 for the handy home pick-a-part guy.

Salvage auctions were a major part of the auction houses money. 6.5% on an average of 500 lots per week is big coin. Me thinks the buyers premium will now go up on the dealer, commercial, ex lease and government auctions to fill the income void.
Now you or I can't pick up an ex-gov car as cheaply as before, dealers will have to pay more for their purchases driving up the 'on the lot' price. -1 for the used car market from the consumers p.o.v

Last edited by Racecraft; 25-04-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #64
Kryton

It will also mean that if there is an extra 15000 car that have to be fixed each year, that panel beaters are going try and get them out quick smart which will bring short cuts and dodgey repairs - more so than happens now.
Some of the "quality" repairs that ive seen roll out of a panel shop is beyond believe.
that so called "unsafe and dodgey" back yarder often puts out better work than a lot of reputable panel beaters do.
I still dont see this as the answer, im not buying into the whole B.S dodgey back yarders, nor am i buying into the stolen car racket/spare parts on a large scale B.S either.

If it is such a big issue, maybe the VIV's assessors should be hung out to dry, it is their job to make sure a repaired car is both legit and repaired to a safe and proper finish.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #65
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Car rebirths will not cease. THe cars will still be stolen in NSW and rebirthed in another state. -1 for the punter that losses his car or buys a rebirth.
Just on this part, I understood that the statutory write-off classification will be nationwide, so that should affect the above.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #66
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Just on this part, I understood that the statutory write-off classification will be nationwide, so that should affect the above.
my understanding to, but the law is only talking about NSW repairables receiving the nationwide statutory write off registration. What i meant in my post was for example:-

Car X is bought as a repairable in any other state, Car Y will be stolen in NSW and driven/shipped to other states. The parts needed to fix car X will come from car Y, no matter what NSW Dept of Transport status it has....

It won't stop cars from being pinched, it won't stop unscrupuless people using everything but your VIN number to profit by putting your/their bitsa back into the market

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #67
djrice
the burgerman

the change doesnt start till august not tommorow but it wont stop the dodgyness any1 with info in the industry will know the loop holes on how to get around the laws

yes insurance premiums will rise and cars that are usually state write offs might be repaired by insurance

sounds like the government is trying to do a quick fix the only way to stop the dodgyness is to enforce current laws with police work with more funding and task forces as these things are happening in all states and criminal activity wont stop in car industry you can still buy a car interstate and repair it then bring it here : :
djrice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #68
Scott

If re-birthing and dodgy repairs are their real motivators, why not just remove "repairable wrote-off's" from the dictionary. They are either repairable, or statutory write-off then which removes the need to crush all those great parts cars from legal auction.

It seems the only valuable things are the plates, so why go overboard with it?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #69
wonk123
Starter Motor

I know something needs to be done, but this is too draconian!
I bought a couple of cars that have been repairable right offs, one
that had just been keyed on every panel, so i gave it a quick coat of
paint and had a very cheap car to drive around in. Looks like that
wont be happening again
wonk123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #70
falcontonner

i totally agree with nsw every state should bring this in. if a car has suffered extensive damage it will never drive the same. one car that i owned was a repairable write off as i later found out as i was not informed it was because of loop holes in the law if its written off in one state it doenst have to be disclosed in another. eg written of in vic and sold in sa. the seller doenst have to disclose it has been written off. this car had damage to the centre pillar which i found by removing the plasic covering. as well as other parts on the car i knew had been replaced. the best the wheel allignment could get was 2mm of what it should have been. just never drove like it was suppose to. As far as i knew i thought the pillar was a structual part of the car how can this be repairable?
anyway totally agree all parts of the car should be removed and the chasis crushed!
falcontonner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #71
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Does anybody know if this also applies to Bikes?
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #72
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just bought a repairable write off (YESTERDAY), without knowing about this. In June 2009 it was written off for a buckled wheel and a faulty airbag deploying when it hit the curb. It came with a statuary declaration of it being repaired...
What do I have to do to get it registered? I still can before August.. right??
I got it cheap, but not cheap enough to use for parts :( :( :(

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #73
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmcmillan
I just bought a repairable write off (YESTERDAY), without knowing about this. In June 2009 it was written off for a buckled wheel and a faulty airbag deploying when it hit the curb. It came with a statuary declaration of it being repaired...
Rego it before the law comes in and you should be right 3 months to do it

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #74
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
Rego it before the law comes in and you should be right 3 months to do it
OK let's hope so... What would make the car need to have the $406 more expensive VIIU check done?

This is the first car I will own 100% by myself, I'm just worrying something will go wrong. I was aware it was a repairable write off when I handed over the bankcheck, but I have the statuary declaration of repair.. then when I saw this it just made me freakout, and I've been reading about the more expensive checks needed to be done.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #75
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
They would be better off making it harder to re-register them rather then to ban them completely.
Have it sent to the RTA inspection rather then Blue slip.
Pretty much the way it is here in Qld for anything less than 15 years old
Having done a number cars including a right off of a very rare care we had to do everything well and correctly or the engineer doing the rwc would fail it ( yes we have them engineered) several of them the family have kept and with their lives at risk I couldn't have it any other way , then the wovy with the paperwork is lots of work but worth it , I expect the law will be nullified quickly as it should and a proper inspection system be introduced .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #76
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the way i read it all write offs will be listed as stat write offs after august so any cars already listed as a repairable write off will retain this status and be registerable
Quote:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #77
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK phew.. thanks guys, some of the color is coming back to my face now :P

Now I just hope I don't have to get the $406 car inspection and a blueslip is good enough, and hopefully the Statuary Declaration for repairs is good enough.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #78
djrice
the burgerman

they will eventually bring this law nation wide in years to come i bet...its all about income to the government
Old 09-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #79
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
my understanding to, but the law is only talking about NSW repairables receiving the nationwide statutory write off registration. What i meant in my post was for example:-

Car X is bought as a repairable in any other state, Car Y will be stolen in NSW and driven/shipped to other states. The parts needed to fix car X will come from car Y, no matter what NSW Dept of Transport status it has....

It won't stop cars from being pinched, it won't stop unscrupuless people using everything but your VIN number to profit by putting your/their bitsa back into the market
but why steal from nsw??

if i was a theif stealing car part i wound't wast extra coin traveling hundred's of k's.
cheaper to source local!!
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #80
Kryton

Quote:
OK phew.. thanks guys, some of the color is coming back to my face now :P

Now I just hope I don't have to get the $406 car inspection and a blueslip is good enough, and hopefully the Statuary Declaration for repairs is good enough.
Not sure what this Statutory Declaration is you keep talking about but i think you need to do your homework a bit more first.
A Stat Dec isnt going to get you anywhere or anything except that you have declared that you have replaced the airbag or whatever you did with the Stat Dec.

If your car is listed as a Repairable write Off, which you say it has, you need to get a VIV.
No ifs or buts, thats what you have to do for it to not be a Repairable Write Off anymore.
A VIV is Vehicle Identification Validation, and it is there to check the identity of the vehicle, to make sure its not rebirthed.
Damage sustained is irrelevant, if its put as a WRO, it needs to be Validated.
They will also check the repairs that have been done and they will be checked to make sure they are done to a standard and are satisfactory.
If they are not happy with the repairs, you will not pass the inspection and will have to repair whatever they deem as not acceptable.
If a single weld isnt good enough, it wont pass.
With a VIV, you need to provide evidence/receipts of where you bought the parts from, who did any of the work, payments made for parts/work and last i heard they even wanted photographic evidence of the car being repaired.

Anyway, do your home work because if you think this Stat Dec is all you need, youll be disappointed when you get told otherwise.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #81
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Not sure what this Statutory Declaration is you keep talking about but i think you need to do your homework a bit more first.
A Stat Dec isnt going to get you anywhere or anything except that you have declared that you have replaced the airbag or whatever you did with the Stat Dec.

If your car is listed as a Repairable write Off, which you say it has, you need to get a VIV.
No ifs or buts, thats what you have to do for it to not be a Repairable Write Off anymore.
A VIV is Vehicle Identification Validation, and it is there to check the identity of the vehicle, to make sure its not rebirthed.
Damage sustained is irrelevant, if its put as a WRO, it needs to be Validated.
They will also check the repairs that have been done and they will be checked to make sure they are done to a standard and are satisfactory.
If they are not happy with the repairs, you will not pass the inspection and will have to repair whatever they deem as not acceptable.
If a single weld isnt good enough, it wont pass.
With a VIV, you need to provide evidence/receipts of where you bought the parts from, who did any of the work, payments made for parts/work and last i heard they even wanted photographic evidence of the car being repaired.

Anyway, do your home work because if you think this Stat Dec is all you need, youll be disappointed when you get told otherwise.
The stat dec is a legal document I have declaring that the airbag was replaced. It shows the VIN of the car it came from, and the car it was put into etc.. VIV is only in Victoria isn't it? NSW has something similar, but apparently called a "Written Off Vehicle - First Inspection".. but apparently you only need one if the vehicle is LESS then 10 years old. Mine is 13 years old so hopefully I'm right with just a blue slip, proof of repair, rego application and CTP.
I'm not arguing with you, but does my post sound like it's correct? Here is the website I found, http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati..._vehicles.html

Old 09-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #82
Kryton

From what i have read, the Motoring Registry (RTA) will advise you if it needs the full inspection (VII).
So, your better off asking them exactly what you need to do.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #83
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
From what i have read, the Motoring Registry (RTA) will advise you if it needs the full inspection (VII).
So, your better off asking them exactly what you need to do.
8AM tomorrow can't come soon enough. Thanks everyone. Sorry for overtaking the thread with my personal problems.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:49 AM   #84
djrice
the burgerman

Default viv or revs

the viv is for melbourne only nsw has 10 year rule for inspection.you can buy a melbourne smashed car and bring it to nsw and register it without being on nsw revs check or going through an inspection other than standard blue slip the new law wont stop this but encourages people to buy interstate number job them and bypass all inspections then resell at a couple grand cheaper than the market rate for a tidy profit

any1 who goes to pickles or fowls auctions regularly will know this and also know that the auctions are there to make money off both comsumer and insurance companies,they will sell u cars that cant be registered or poorly classified and take no responsibility i have bought a car from pickles and wasnt able to register as the engine number doesnt match but they wont refund my money so i wrecked it out but was a major headace.they make it clear that they claim no responsiblily for a car you buy even if it is a number job or interstate insurance job.
Old 20-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #85
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Email Print
17 May 2010
The national classification system for identifying written-off vehicles is to be expanded on the recommendations of a new report.

Classification ambiguities have caused many heavily damaged vehicles to be labelled repairable. Critics say the existing two-tier system also relies heavily on individual assessors, and has “not maintained pace with advances in vehicle and/or composite construction”.

New criteria proposed in a report completed by Delta V Experts keeps the existing statutory and repairable write-off categories, and adds two further groupings: collectable, or high personal value write-off, and economic write-off.

Stolen and recovered vehicles that have suffered heavy external damage but are structurally intact would be classified as an economic write-off. Any vehicle that can be sold by the insurer back to the insured would be a collectable write-off.

The criteria have not been updated since they were developed by the NSW Roads and Traffic Authority in the mid-1990s.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post