Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: You have 80k to spend on an XY GT, What do you do
Buy a high - top end faker XY GT for upto 80k and live with it being a faker. 33 35.87%
Buy a Real Aus XY GT that needs a full resto or has chassis or I.D. issues 31 33.70%
Buy a high end Fairmont XY GT for 70k and spend the diffrence making it look like an Aussie GT 28 30.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #61
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
The SA GT was built HERE as well XBROO, built on the same production line and of the same parts as the Aus GT.

The diffrence.... Is the Aus ones were then assembled here at Broadmeadows and the South African units were sent overseas in boxes to Port Elizabeth, South Africa to be assembled there.

So, they were put together overseas and sold over there, but were born here, so arent really an import type car as in Jap imports which were born and built overseas and not sold new locally here.
CKD with Parts from here, US and some Local Sout African Parts I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #62
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Yep, CKD=Complete Knock Down.

In other words the sum of the cars parts to make up what became the GT 54H shells were made here, i.e. the floor pans, firewall, roof turrets, guards, quarters etc etc.

All the XY range GT's have the US big port motors fitted.

Local content was mostly the glass, the rest was assembly labour.

To show and explain my point above for those who dont know, and show what a CKD kit looks like I have a Video of XA's being assembled in New Zealand.
Not GT's tho as theirs were assembled here and shipped over.
Normal XA's were shipped over to NZ in CKD form...

Pics Below...(Again note this is XA) apologies for the quality, this is old footage.
CKD Box, this is all the parts of the car ready to be assembled. They were first made in Australia as were the SA GT's....

CKD Boxes Stored up....

Open CKD Box....

Closer inside....

Starting to assemble it....

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #63
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
If you had 120k to 150k to sink into a genuine GT, how much better would you feel only dropping 70k to 80k on the same GT, with the only main diffrence being assembled and sold new in a diffrent country?
Then throwing the rest of your spare change into the mortgage or somthing. That would also please the handbrakes out there too (aka better halves).

Mate you forgot the other option, buy 2 of them, or one genuine SA GT and then a serously hot faker for an everyday cruiser, imagine how good that would feel, two show cars with one that you don't mind throwing down and around the tracks. :

I hit SA :Reverend:
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #64
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Mate, at 150k to spend, I would have 2 XAGT Coupes or 3 XAGT Sedans.

And I would be as happy as a pig in sheeeeeit....

Tell you what though, looking at the poll results so far, its very interesting to see the amount of people who chose option 2 over 3 or even 1.

Considering Option 2 is for a near on basket case requiring a FULL restoration, which could easily cost 50k plus.
Or buying a rebodied Aus XYGT, or a non matching and numbers/body issue car that will also be considered as not the real deal in most cases.

That has surprised me.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post