Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-03-2008, 01:43 AM   #61
The Robot Devil
Starter Motor

With regard to customer service issues,

Whoever coined the phrase "the customer is always right" has a lot to answer for IMO...
The Robot Devil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #62
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
As for being doing what we are being paid for, I dont remember "taking rude peoples bullshiit" being a part of it.

Customer service has not died, common courtesy has.

Working in a Bottle shop, i see alot of the worst stuff, i have been called every name under the sun for refusing a drunk... Racist, rude, arrogant, liar and many, many the swear filter will not allow.

Just the basic things annoy me, people ignoring me, throwing money (literally) and ones that complain about the prices, as if i pull a random figure from my *** and slap it on anything.

Just think, How would you like it?
Treat people how you would like to be treated.
I think we can see why we have so much trouble with respect to such situations. People tend to be nice and respectful to those doing the same to them. That is fine, but isn't the same as what you just quoted above. "Treating others the way you would like to be treated" means treating them with respect and giving good service because it's what you would expect, not because they've been nice to you first.

If we allowed the rudeness or politeness of others to dictate our responses, doesn't that make us totally reactive to everyone else's junk, bad manners, poor attitudes, dodgy behaviour etc, etc? We'd only see our own standards in decline if we did that.

It's the harder road to walk for sure, but is really the only way to make our tiny part of this world a slightly better place for others. Giving good service to others is the right thing to do, whether they are nice or not. Not easy, but right.

Another 2 cents from me! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 08:52 AM   #63
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo
Thanks for the input GK. ....
Cheers, as I've said, I'm enjoying the discussion.

Quote:
There's no doubt a smaller percentage of the population now attend religious services regularly than say 30 years ago. It may well be that the regular services and sermons some of us were exposed to as youngsters helped keep us in check in some way, but even if that's accurate, it still comes back to the change in values between generations.
The point I suspect is that absolute moral values have to come from somewhere outside ourselves. If they didn't, they wouldn't be absolute. Those sermons etc, etc, are taken from morals that people believe came from a Creator. The changing of values between generations only further highlights the rapid move away from such absolutes. Every person is right about everything and relativism is what reigns in our society now.

Situational ethics are what drives people and that basically means that people do whatever suits them at the time, regardless of whether it's right or wrong. Right and wrong are not really concepts help up much anymore, it's often about the individual deciding from moment to moment based on what they feel. We all know feelings are most important, but they are easily led astray and often downright wrong. LOL!

Quote:
Who knows if the good evens out with the bad though, it certainly isn't braodcast in even amounts. But yes, just when you think humans are doomed and become a cynic, someone slaps you out of it with an unexpected act of kindness....I hope I can hold out till the next one
The world is surely going down the gurgler, but like you, I'm often touched by the random acts of kindness that pop up. What a shame such acts are often random, few and far between and not the expected norm. Imagine how amazing things would be if everyone was looking for the good deed that needed doing? How much better would that make our world?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #64
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I think we can see why we have so much trouble with respect to such situations. People tend to be nice and respectful to those doing the same to them. That is fine, but isn't the same as what you just quoted above. "Treating others the way you would like to be treated" means treating them with respect and giving good service because it's what you would expect, not because they've been nice to you first. GK
I do tend to agree with what you are saying above, however most of the "horrible" people I deal with and my coleagues for that matter do get treated pleasantly. Just yesterday I walked up to a customer and asked if they needed assistance and all I got from them was a mouthful, so I continued to discuss their issues with them remaining positive until it got to the point where I called my manager because enough was enough. (mind you, I will still act with a friendly nature even if the customer is not as it sometimes turns them around and also I believe that others should be treated as you want to be treated)

So in summary, I do agree that if a customer is treated with disrespect (rolling eyes etc.) then they will be more likely to be disrespectful back, however like my example given above - there are just some people who will be nasty and rude without the person on the recieving end of the abuse doing anything disrespectful first.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #65
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
Awww, poor baby got someone that could not read your mind...
I will not make assumptions, but going by your explination, you gave this person a serving about it.

As for being doing what we are being paid for, I dont remember "taking rude peoples bullshiit" being a part of it.

Customer service has not died, common courtesy has.

Working in a Bottle shop, i see alot of the worst stuff, i have been called every name under the sun for refusing a drunk... Racist, rude, arrogant, liar and many, many the swear filter will not allow.

Just the basic things annoy me, people ignoring me, throwing money (literally) and ones that complain about the prices, as if i pull a random figure from my *** and slap it on anything.

Just think, How would you like it?
Treat people how you would like to be treated.

/end rant.
Seems your assumption was quite off the mark tonko

Read what i said - I "asked" for a cup tray - I also mentioned in another post how reasonable requests should be attended to when paying for a service

Refusing a drunk alcohol is not only benefiting society but most likely a policy of the store

And no i did not abuse the person who acted like the world had ended because i politely asked for a cup tray, i never do - Although i would possible like to engage in a form of physical activity , i keep my thoughts to myself
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #66
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB
I do tend to agree with what you are saying above, however most of the "horrible" people I deal with and my coleagues for that matter do get treated pleasantly. Just yesterday I walked up to a customer and asked if they needed assistance and all I got from them was a mouthful, so I continued to discuss their issues with them remaining positive until it got to the point where I called my manager because enough was enough. (mind you, I will still act with a friendly nature even if the customer is not as it sometimes turns them around and also I believe that others should be treated as you want to be treated)

So in summary, I do agree that if a customer is treated with disrespect (rolling eyes etc.) then they will be more likely to be disrespectful back, however like my example given above - there are just some people who will be nasty and rude without the person on the recieving end of the abuse doing anything disrespectful first.

I work in an RTO - everything has a form of customer service

If i retaliated to every customer who complained or whinged or acted a fool to me, we would have less business

If your calm and assertive without being rude, you can diffuse their abuse. Most often they end up apologising and are left rendered a royal idiot
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #67
bingoTE50
Steve

How old am I ....closer to the grave than I want to be !!
I look upon these sorts of problems like recycling .all you can do is your little bit .
A smile , a hello , g'day , please -thank you , does not cost much . My kids were brought up on these principles . I have no doubt my 15 yr old son swears like a trooper with his mates , I cannot change that .It is young fellas showing off ,I did the same. I have coached u11- u19 sporting teams , and they were all great kids , sure there was some smart a's among them ,but if I see them these days they are respectful young men. I do not think all is lost at all .
Unfortunately we view stereo types and assume behaviour.
I have been to a lebanese traditional restaurant in Punchbowl with a Lebanese guy and had a nice meal and was treated wonderfully, now what stigma have they got !!
We have islander guys at work , and are great guys , but in Campbelltown they are assumed to be thugs... I went to China this Jan- Lovely people , but look at the rap asians get...Tolerance people is what we need...
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post