Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #61
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

Default Cobra GT article in November 2007 Wheels magazine

Back on topic, looked over the Wheels article on the Cobra GT at a newsagent and it wasn't as bad or biased as made out in this thread. So I bought the magazine.

The Wheels article noted: "...the Cobra GT really is: a brutally powerful, rear-drive V8 sedan. And that's exactly what links it to the '70s."

Wheels also noted that the new engine has a "new-found free-revving spirit" and sounds great too while its revving out (this was noted by XA5800 in his thread at http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...35#post1790335.

Wheels also noted the R-spec suspension changes had made a significant improvement to the vehicle's handling.

Sure they noted it was no HSV in straight line performance (it is after all the end of a model run) but they did note that the Cobra GT "is probably closer than you think in terms of driveability" to the HSV.
BionicGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #62
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Thumbs up

hey blonk, looking at your avatar is is that a BAmk2 typhoon? If so a few people said theirs not many around, nice rare car if it is. Is yours manual or auto?
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #63
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGT
Back on topic, looked over the Wheels article on the Cobra GT at a newsagent and it wasn't as bad or biased as made out in this thread. So I bought the magazine.

The Wheels article noted: "...the Cobra GT really is: a brutally powerful, rear-drive V8 sedan. And that's exactly what links it to the '70s."

Wheels also noted that the new engine has a "new-found free-revving spirit" and sounds great too while its revving out (this was noted by XA5800 in his thread at http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...35#post1790335.

Wheels also noted the R-spec suspension changes had made a significant improvement to the vehicle's handling.

Sure they noted it was no HSV in straight line performance (it is after all the end of a model run) but they did note that the Cobra GT "is probably closer than you think in terms of driveability" to the HSV.
thankyou, for voicing my thoughts. The "dirt track" was the Ford Proving ground and they state that they were rushed by the weather so will give it a better go on there regular strip later to get more reflective performance numbers. I hope they give a real test, evaluation and opinion, in a future edition but I am not holding my breath.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #64
Blonk
Iconoclast

Only one that colour ever built - number 0193

Rare and goes cogswapping regular..(why have teeth if ya dont clean them)!!!!!

Looking at a BF F6 auto, but gonna miss the one off colour.. looks great in any different light.. WIsh I could put it in a shed for 30 years, but KAY SERA (incorrect spelling)

If your in Brisabane ask Goldie, Al, Shaz Glennbo or many others what it looks like in the flesh........
Blonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #65
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

Maybe the HSV's are good.....
Old 25-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #66
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonk
gtfpv... I agree entirely with your post, but the 5.4, is no match for the 6.0 from my experience, I have 2 mates (1 of which is a memebr here) that went from XR6T straight to GT and had a blower on them under 4000km's..... I respect there opinions becasue they own them and they agree that once they can go over 300rw's with a deecent tune, they have aq much more drivable car then the I6T.

The boss is no match for the 6.0 litre.. Tuna has already pulled 270rw with just a tune... A boss mtor needs a lot of work or incution to get those numbers..\

GT ownersw will think the mag is biased, I think they are spot on... And I have a blue wardrobe and blue blood
Funny how some of us here can get times down to 13.5 (stock) yet this magazine seems to think 14.5 is the average.

You certainly have a chip on your shoulder with regard to the BOSS 8's, im glad you bought the F6 if your happy, that doesnt mean those of us that have V8 powered Boss's cant be happy either. I have spent alot of time driving F6's and XR6Ts and as far as im concerned the drive was not as rewarding as the V8s offer..

Everyones allowed to have an opinion, but you seem to think we should all go cut our heads off coz we bought v8's.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #67
Disciple
Banned

The V8's are good man, they sound unreal and go hard. The 6's are good too, F6 is my fav and I don't even like Ford lol :P. Each to their own!
Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 06:15 PM   #68
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Quote:

Too right - and shock it was Hawley that said that! And somone said that the Maloo got a big write up - it just got one of the little tests at the back of the mag. Cobra got WAY more coverage, and the F6X got a fair bit too.
But there is still little annoying touches in the magazine like "With 325kw and 585Nm on tap, that should give the Ford faithful nightmares", "Cop that, Ford Fans". Just stupid annoying touches that actually seem to be there just to annoy Ford fans. And blimey, it sure does work.

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #69
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xitdxr
mmm, i agree with you, wheels are getting worse. I hope Motor test the cars properly!
Motor is published by the same company who publish Wheels - Australian Consolidate Press. Therefore expect Motor to distribute the same level of garbage as Wheels does.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #70
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock260
Maybe the HSV's are good.....
We have a winner! (I agree)
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #71
Disciple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
We have a winner! (I agree)
Well they're a decent overall package - I'm not convinced on the MRC suspension (bad reports) and only a 10kW increase (simple ignition timing in the ECU probably) 13.8 1/4 mile time with a near 2 tonne weight isn't that exciting really. The Senator looks mean tho and would be the one I'd have (in gunmetal grey)
Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #72
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

The BA/BF is 5 years old, and still carried over some of the AU's misfortunes, so what do you expect from a brand new Holden/HSV lineup. Not that I'm saying the BA/BF series is crap by any mean, but there is no shame in giving kudos to a great vehicle such as the Commodore's lineup. If you ask me, i would have an XR6T or an F6 over any Commodore V8 anyday, but if i was going to be a V8, i would chose the Commodore hands down.
Old 25-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #73
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Wheels is shiite they have always being biased I have their first review of the FPV GT and they can't find any fault they even go on about how much low end torque it has compared to Holdens. Now it's a sluggish overweight torquelsess pig in their eyes WTF???????

As for F6 vs GT don't even go there it's spli 50:50 down the middle.

Me personally would take a slow *** V8 over a quick turbo any day!
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #74
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonk
assume away my firend... See danial in the dictionary
Danial isn't in my dictionary, it must be broke

Seriously though, as i said before, i agree with you about the boss and i love a bit of friendly disagreement but at least try and show a bit of respect for the other guys opinions. Just because you have good reasons for your point of view, doesn't mean others don't have similarly good reasons for theirs.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #75
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO_SP
I have no problems with the BF F6s... its the BaMkIIs that are living off the BFs success that I have a problem with. The times recorded in any mag for the BaMkIIs have been miles off that of the BFs (the BFs being alot faster in any comparison). I have no idea why it's so, but it just is, the BFs are alot faster and the BaMkIIs seem like nothing to crow about except for their exploding clutches!!
You really do live your life a quarter mile at a time don't you.....

A manual BA2 is no different than a manual BF or BF2.

The ultra quick straight line accelleration under 100km/h i.e. in first, second ans into third that the auto F6s (and for that matter the auto XR6Ts) demonstrate is due to them not dumping their boost during gear changes, something that cant be done with a clutch.

On a circuit track the manuals are actually quicker than the autos. This has been demonstrated over and over again not only in magazines but also in the real world.
Why is this? A manual changes gear (down and up) when you tell it to and not when a computer says so and a clutch can be slipped exiting a corner.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #76
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock260
The BA/BF is 5 years old, and still carried over some of the AU's misfortunes, so what do you expect from a brand new Holden/HSV lineup. Not that I'm saying the BA/BF series is crap by any mean, but there is no shame in giving kudos to a great vehicle such as the Commodore's lineup. If you ask me, i would have an XR6T or an F6 over any Commodore V8 anyday, but if i was going to be a V8, i would chose the Commodore hands down.

I agree with your comments but what must be disputed is that the Cobra is a mid 14 car. I think this V8's far too nose heavy for me personally as I love an agile car but I am sure it does much better than a mid 14.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #77
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

most definitely, all FPV's should be able to push mid-high 13's, besides the F6, as it has, but there is always room for improvement
Old 26-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #78
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Funny how some of us here can get times down to 13.5 (stock) yet this magazine seems to think 14.5 is the average.

You certainly have a chip on your shoulder with regard to the BOSS 8's, im glad you bought the F6 if your happy, that doesnt mean those of us that have V8 powered Boss's cant be happy either. I have spent alot of time driving F6's and XR6Ts and as far as im concerned the drive was not as rewarding as the V8s offer..

Everyones allowed to have an opinion, but you seem to think we should all go cut our heads off coz we bought v8's.

yeah i know what you mean . personally i like the 6 litre v8 holden . the 5.4 litre boss. and the f6 engine, also the xr6t and standard i 6 engine .

BLONK !!!!!!
my choice is the boss v8. then perhaps the ls2. then the f6 . its funny how heaps of f6 owners bag the fook out of v8's like they have been converted, and everyone else hasn't evolved yet. i dont quite get how most boss drivers accept and are ok with the f6 being faster. and a better performer than it's bigger brother. yet the f6 drivers and thier laggers bag the crap out of fords premium muscle car, with contempt. jealousy is a curse. it's ok that you bought an F6. dont tear yourselves up over it . they were designed to steal WRX BUYERS away. and got a few of our V8 followers too. .
my dyno chart is inhere somewhere . do a search . it means nothing to me anyway. but i was surprised . show me . a dyno of an ls2 with no mods doing those numbers .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #79
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

Geeez........why do F6 owners have to turn every thread into "my F6 is better than your Boss V8"

This thread is about Wheels testing the new Cobra GT.

It seems that F6 owners are often (no - I didn't say always) obsessed with 400m times whereas Boss owners are more interested in the total package. XA5800 sums up the GT driving experience at http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...55#post1790955 when he said after his VIC to WA road trip "There more to a performance car than fast quarter mile times. It’s the total package from the steering wheel to the tires."
BionicGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #80
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Geeez........why do F6 owners have to turn every thread into "my F6 is better than your Boss V8"

It seems that F6 owners are often (no - I didn't say always) obsessed with 400m times whereas Boss owners are more interested in the total package. XA5800 sums up the GT driving experience at http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...55#post1790955 when he said after his VIC to WA road trip "There more to a performance car than fast quarter mile times. It’s the total package from the steering wheel to the tires."
Amen Brother
Old 26-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #81
bingoTE50
Steve

I really don't know about all this guys . If bragging rights are the go , spend 50k on a drag car and do 10's . I really like both the Ford turbo and v8. In fact a XR6 with a six speed auto with some mods would be nice.
Wheels in my opinion are biased over the last 5 years .But who spends what on advertising/marketing may influence this .
And don't think for one second Ford owners are the only ones suffering with build quality .There is a guy at my work who has a new SV6 Ve and the clutch is playing up ,knobs on the dash are loose ,the sunroof vibrates ,and when he attacks a corner , he has to hang on because the seats have woeful side support . Now my TE is the same , but its a 99 model .
Maybe Holden means Hold On !!!
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #82
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It is not just F6 OWNERS who are obsessed with 400m times, there are lots of F6 lovers/haters/fanboys who cannot see past this obsession.

I agree totally with what you say. 0-400m is important to some but not to most. I have been to a drag strip 3 times. It does not interest me but others enjoy it immensely.

The "whole package" is what the Cobra is about. It has more go, better suspension, unique exterior, unique interior and is a limited production run.

The time it took to sell out basicly says it all.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #83
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The "whole package" is what the Cobra is about. It has more go, better suspension, unique exterior, unique interior and is a limited production run.

The time it took to sell out basicly says it all.
Now that its completely off topic...LOL

I dont know why FPV hasn't pushed the "complete package" theme a little bit harder. When you dont have the mumbo or numbers to boast then find another angle.

I know they used it for the T series, but that was a balls up for many other reasons. I dont know, just feel like they could have tried a bit harder.

Not that they care now, two limited runs have cleaned up their stock nicely..LOL

I agree that a number doesn't make a car, but the press and exposure you get from being "number 1" is massive. Just look at the amount of times Holden/HSV have been on local car magazine covers; its amazing, and all for a product that is marginally better (and thats very arguable) than the Falcon.

Although FPV looks to be on a better strategy now, but we have said that before too. Barrett (sp?) better walk the way he talks; because if he does he will become a legend.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #84
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have here a Wheels mag from january 2006. It has an BF XR8, VZ SSV comparrison in it. 0-100 for the falcon in 6.3s and commodore 6.8s. Heres the interesting past Quarter mile time XR8= 14.4s, commodore 14.9s. They give the XR8 a 4 star rating and the SSV a 3.5 star rating. A couple of things come from this,
1. Wheels doesnt show any holden bias in this comparo, maybe it seems like they do now because the ls2 really is alot better than the 'tired' and 'outdated' boss? However,
2. How is an 260kw XR8 quicker over the quarter than the Cobra???
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #85
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh and in my previous post i was by no means saying the boss is a bad engine. I am a huge fan and i probably shouldnt have used the word outdated as it is infact very technologically advanced and ahead of the pushrod LS2. All i meant by that was it has been around for 5 years without any major changes. With a bit of a freshen up it would easily be on par with the LS2.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #86
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Would you prefer something a little less biased - say, Ford Performance Magazine? :P

I sometimes wonder if there is an over-reaction by many of the Ford bretheren towards any magazine that dares to be critical of a Falcon.

Regardless, the Mellor newsletters (which are online) are probably the best piece of automotive journalism available in this country.
I agree and subscribe to the free Mellor newsletter. Great Journalism is the norm.

NB Used to buy the Australian every Wednesday from about 1995 as that had his two pages of Automotive News in it by John Mellor. Just so i could read that section (which was removed about 3 years ago and replaced by the Wealth section = Still buying it)

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #87
XR8Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilXR8
Oh and in my previous post i was by no means saying the boss is a bad engine. I am a huge fan and i probably shouldnt have used the word outdated as it is infact very technologically advanced and ahead of the pushrod LS2. All i meant by that was it has been around for 5 years without any major changes. With a bit of a freshen up it would easily be on par with the LS2.

The Boss is technologically advanced in terms of **** factor, 32 valves and DOHC.

Though the fact's are that a LS2 produces a higher power/weight ratio.

So I do not see how you come to the conclusion that a pushrod is in anyway inferior.
XR8Master is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 03:03 AM   #88
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8Master
The Boss is technologically advanced in terms of **** factor, 32 valves and DOHC.

So I do not see how you come to the conclusion that a pushrod is in anyway inferior.
Did David Vizard tell you this?? :
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #89
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

That the Boss 302 produces similar power from 0.6 litres less capacity and less revs proves which design is superior. Its just not as good across the whole rev range though but thats because Ford have held it back from getting what it needs. If the Boss was allowed to use 6500 rpm it would easily out punch the LS2, I guess we will only need to wait 6 more months to see if thats true if the Boss 320 rumours are correct.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #90
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:

WTF?

Since when has power to weight been an indicator of "engine performance"?
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post