Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #61
Chopped
as in chopped

Default Re: If the EA Falcon was being sold new today...

The VN S-pak were a rocket in their day.

EA Fairmount Ghias FTW.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #62
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was on my P's in 1989 my personal car was a '65 Dodge Phoenix .. but I worked at a firm that had a new EA Wagon, a new VN Exec and a new Laser .. any of which I was allowed to drive on the nightly mail run. Typically I drove the Laser and it was a great little car, reasonable power, handling and ride. The VN was a weapon .. basically too much power down-low for the chassis and poor handling with skinny tyres .. and uncomfortable seats (even on short trips). The EA was comfortable as a passenger, but "felt" underpowered, sloppy handling, stuff broke on it regularly .. and the steering wheel wasn't stright infront of the driver? Other than the Laser my Phoenix seemed more surefooted and comfortable than these two modern vehicles .. just used a LOT more fuel and probably a lot less safe. However years later my Dad (a diehard Holden fan) bought an EA 3.9FI S-pack .. and loved it. It still felt underpowered and sloppy .. and weird steering column .. but it was comfortable, reliable and easy to work on. He only sold it when my mother bought a new car and he inherited her VX.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #63
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old neighbour had the EA 3.9 MPI, 5 speed,S pack
Nice car , went good for what it was,but we nick named it the boat
Cause it swayed like a boat in the corners
Comparing it to my at the time skyline sillhoutte
The falcon nailed the skyline to the wall straight line, but it didnt have a chance around corners

As for comparing, well lets look
Ive an ED here, one owner since new, lucky if its done 10,000Ks a year for the last 10 years,clean, straight, runs well that sorta stuff
Its worth scrap value
So the new breed might be cheaper at the dealer nowadays, does that mean theyll be worth scrap value way under 20 years ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #64
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
The VN S-pak were a rocket in their day.

EA Fairmount Ghias FTW.
That is because they got 3.45 diffs as EA had 3.23
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #65
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

and were tuned for destruction
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #66
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

From a price comparison perspective, the list price on my EL Fairmont sedan was nearly $40k, so if the price of a G6 today, 16 years later.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #67
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

of the cars my dad bought from 1967 till 2001(2 valiants, 1 torana, 1 laser, 1 corolla, 2 falcons)

nothing came close to the love he had for that EA. but unfortunately, it was a lemon. a monumetnal lemon. he spent twice its worth trying to keep it running nicely, but his love for it never waned (denial was more like it).

he could have bought a nice new car outright, but he couldnt part with that EA, right up to his death in 2008.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #68
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Still plenty of VN running around plenty of torque and harsh take offs not suitable for school runs. I always consider the EA as a fail looks wise, i prefered my XF.
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #69
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Still plenty of VN running around plenty of torque and harsh take offs not suitable for school runs. I always consider the EA as a fail looks wise, i prefered my XF.
Just goes to show that looks are subjective. The EA - ED are perhaps the 'prettiest' Falcons. I don't know why people refer to them as box cars; if anything, I think EF - EL have more angular lines. EA is much better looking than the VN. Can't compare an XF with EA. I like both, but they are very different designs.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #70
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
Just goes to show that looks are subjective. The EA - ED are perhaps the 'prettiest' Falcons. I don't know why people refer to them as box cars; if anything, I think EF - EL have more angular lines. EA is much better looking than the VN. Can't compare an XF with EA. I like both, but they are very different designs.
they're called box cars in comparison with the EF/EL shape which went into a very sleek more curvy flowing body
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #71
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
That is because they got 3.45 diffs as EA had 3.23
EA 1st gear was a lowly 2.32 iirc too. VN had that hare trigger throttle that added to the illusion of rocketship performance.

Check out this EA review -
http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/re...lcon-ea-ii.htm

fuel consumption was 14.5/100 for the SII, I knew they were thirsty bastards compared to the modern Falc, but that's even worse than my FG XR8!!
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #72
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Did Ford do anything monumental when developing the EF? I remember as a little kid riding in the old man's company car (EB1 GL). The EB1 GL since new always sounded like it had a big leafblower under the bonnet, a lot of noise with no power. The XFs in the neighbourhood sounded more or less the same. Would always have VNs and VRs leaving it for dead at the lights without trying. When we got the EF.. it was a bat out of hell in comparison. No silly fan blower noises, just a nice throaty roar. VNs and VRs now lived in the rear mirror. I remember one time watching the mighty EF Gli keep a Corvette honest up to 70km/h.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #73
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
they're called box cars in comparison with the EF/EL shape which went into a very sleek more curvy flowing body
I agree that the EF/El is sleeker, but I think the EA - ED is curvier, whereas ef is more angular. What's an XD-XF known as if the EA is a box?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #74
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
and the steering wheel wasn't stright infront of the driver?
Yeah, that wasn't brilliant. Ford have a habit of doing that. The AU still isn't perfect in that regard either. I found it was possible to move the EA steering column to the left a bit further but it was still never centred.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #75
Buntz
Straight Eight

93 ED. My dad bought it years ago for nine grand I think. We loved it. Previous owner optioned ABS brakes. Dad still goes on about "disc ALL ROUND!!!". :P

Now that's it mine... it's run down a bit. Paint on bonnet and boot is shot. Odometer's stuffed. Fuel gauge is on the blink. Transmission smashes into second. Front drivers seat is had it. Second one close behind. Carpets filthy. Fit and finish is typical Ford of the period, utter rubbish. Passenger front door doesn't lock with the central locking. Rust spots. Engine seems louder then it used too.. and it's done somewhere north of 300k k's, and I still haven't done the timing chain.

Car continues puts a smile on my face.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #76
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

^at least fix your s5 solenoid or whatever is causing the harsh 1st to 2nd change
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #77
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
^at least fix your s5 solenoid or whatever is causing the harsh 1st to 2nd change
Is that what it is, you think? Is it costly? Can I do it myself?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #78
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
93 ED. My dad bought it years ago for nine grand I think. We loved it. Previous owner optioned ABS brakes. Dad still goes on about "disc ALL ROUND!!!". :P

Now that's it mine... it's run down a bit. Paint on bonnet and boot is shot. Odometer's stuffed. Fuel gauge is on the blink. Transmission smashes into second. Front drivers seat is had it. Second one close behind. Carpets filthy. Fit and finish is typical Ford of the period, utter rubbish. Passenger front door doesn't lock with the central locking. Rust spots. Engine seems louder then it used too.. and it's done somewhere north of 300k k's, and I still haven't done the timing chain.

Car continues puts a smile on my face.
It's what (pre-BA) Falcons do. They just have so much character.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #79
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
It's what (pre-BA) Falcons do. They just have so much character.
If they could talk they would only say; "Aww yeah!"
Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #80
EL97
Former owner, still a fan

Quote:
I think EF - EL have more angular lines.
You're kidding right?

Here's an example of an EA rear end; sharp boot lines, rectangular shaped mirrors, rhomboid shaped, squared off tailights and bumper corners.

And here's an EL... well ******* me I can't see any significantly sharp angle anywhere, and the ones you do see are surrounded by smooth flowing lines anyway. If that EA is less angular than an EF-EL, then the Volvo 240 must be as aesthetically flowing as a Jag E-Type.
EL97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #81
Buntz
Straight Eight

The trend has shifted back to angular design. So the EA-ED is timeless.

Love the profile of them too.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #82
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Is that what it is, you think? Is it costly? Can I do it myself?
Come into the OzEseries cruisers section on the forum, I've got a lot of people guiding me through working on my EL, if I can do something than so can anyone else.

I personally like the look of the EA-ED, particularily the ED XR8, they look really nice, I love that boxy look.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #83
dylancox

Quote:
I agree that the EF/El is sleeker, but I think the EA - ED is curvier, whereas ef is more angular. What's an XD-XF known as if the EA is a box?
The EA looks like a box drawn by a man. The XD-XF looks like a perfect box drawn using a ruler and pen .
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #84
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Did Ford do anything monumental when developing the EF? I remember as a little kid riding in the old man's company car (EB1 GL). The EB1 GL since new always sounded like it had a big leafblower under the bonnet, a lot of noise with no power. The XFs in the neighbourhood sounded more or less the same. Would always have VNs and VRs leaving it for dead at the lights without trying. When we got the EF.. it was a bat out of hell in comparison. No silly fan blower noises, just a nice throaty roar. VNs and VRs now lived in the rear mirror. I remember one time watching the mighty EF Gli keep a Corvette honest up to 70km/h.
EB had about 148KW from memory, EF had 157kw, not a major jump.

Re the leafblower sound, did the EB1 have conventional fan vs the EF's thermo fans?
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #85
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL97
You're kidding right?

Here's an example of an EA rear end; sharp boot lines, rectangular shaped mirrors, rhomboid shaped, squared off tailights and bumper corners.

And here's an EL... well ******* me I can't see any significantly sharp angle anywhere, and the ones you do see are surrounded by smooth flowing lines anyway. If that EA is less angular than an EF-EL, then the Volvo 240 must be as aesthetically flowing as a Jag E-Type.
No I am not kidding, otherwise I wouldn't have said it. I have owned both shapes of cars. It's hard to explain it in words. Let's try. Look at an EA - ED that has colour coded bumpers, head on. Compare it to an EF Gli with its thinner headlights. The EA - EB has a more bulbous/roundish look. The EF has a more sleeker ANGLED look. I don't see a box in an EA - EB anywhere in the flesh. The bumpers both front and rear are more BULBOUS - the EF - EL are 'thinner' looking and more angular (not squared).

The thinner 'C' pillar of the EF - ELs make it look more angular from many directions, even though the EA - ED's 'C' pillar is larger (to the eye).

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Now, the XD and XF is what I've always known as a 'box car'. Lowered and in good nick, it's one of the best looks going around; very tough indeed.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #86
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
EB had about 148KW from memory, EF had 157kw, not a major jump.
EB2 had 148kW. EB1 had the same 120kW CFI 3.9 fitted to the GL, but the 139kW MPI 3.9 was standard on all other models.

120kW to 157kW is a massive jump.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #87
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
The EA looks like a box drawn by a man. The XD-XF looks like a perfect box drawn using a ruler and pen .
Old 12-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #88
washoutbeach

Its been of value to compare the series after as well as before and its very exciting to read the strength and power of the EA cause.

I think we owe it to the EA design team, the EA26 was starting to be designed and modelled way back in 1982. Its basic aesthetic premise almost got us into the 21st century.

Its hard to understand the design vision these EA guys had in age that was paying homage to the WB Kingswood ute and the formative stages of the Commodore. I mean they must have had a giggle at the traffic as they drove their cars to work on the top secret design.

The EA 26 was just light years ahead of its time and if it didnt stand for perfomance, it was a car people bought for others to judge them in.

It boasted clean angles, the windscreen angle was significantly less than the XD, it got us thinking about exterior plastics as function and beauty.

Above all it was fresh and modern to look at, modern to be in and espoused modern values. To some extent, this what almost every new car design aspires to be. Ford just nailed it.

And it turned up its nose at the Commodore, it looked and worked better.

Of course Holden persisted with its half pregnant bulbous (and let me say awkward) curves right up until the VE. How they sold so many is beyond me.

The EL is a stones throw from the EA. But at $700m for a new car design, its not cheap.

I saw this beautiful FG today in some kind of metalic racing green. One could have drowned in the ethereal lustre of that paintwork, probably the nicest green I have ever seen. My eyes were popping out of my head and I was slobbering at it. I hope the women driving it, didnt think I fancied her.

She was your typical modern female ford driver, good looking with designer sunglasses. The "stuff the world" pout to boot.

I got a glimpse of the illuminated central command centre flickering on the dash. Probably flashing " idiot alert" with an arrow pointing at me and the BA mkII in the next lane!

Last edited by washoutbeach; 12-04-2012 at 08:43 PM.
washoutbeach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #89
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

I also forgot to mention the EF - EL boot lids. VERY Angular. Look at the straight lines on the top, in between the tail lights, and the area where the number plate is. Much more pronounced angles than the EA - ED.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #90
washoutbeach

Quote:
I also forgot to mention the EF - EL boot lids. VERY Angular. Look at the straight lines on the top, in between the tail lights, and the area where the number plate is. Much more pronounced angles than the EA - ED.
Yeah and from the photos above ( awesome work) they did away with the moulded finger lever on the external petrol lid. Maybe it was causing too much drag. The finger lever had a practical application. But it seems form took over from function.
washoutbeach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post