Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #61
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: USA Petrol Prices !!! We are so Ripped Off!!!

To whoever asked, we do still have four refineries although the way things currently stand the likelihood of new capital investment in all but one is unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3
Hi. I have a couple of challenges for you Russ. How much of our fuel is made onshore? From our crude or offshore crude? and How has the Singapore light price changed over the last 6 months? I havent seen any of these numbers for years (since the big caltex refinery in NSW closed).Cheers MD
We are still around 60% self sufficient for oil.

The price for Singapore Light has roughly halved in the last 12 months - it was US$62 (with a better exchange rate) in December 2014.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 10:36 PM   #62
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
People seem to have really bad perceptions on what used to be. From my memory, petrol was at around 85 cents per litre 12 years ago. Even accounting for a **** poor raise in ones wages over the last 12 years, i would still say that a very large proportion of the population is spending less (as a proportion) of their pay packet on petrol now, than they were 12 years ago. I have seen it for under 99 cents a litre at a few petrol stations today. Almost makes one feel now is a good time to go into the station and layby a few thousand litres.
Could it be because petrol is so dear now, people only use there vehicles when they need to like going to work, picking kids up from school etc. So they aren't just jumping in just to go for a drive for a bit of sight seeing, which what people use to do when they didn't have the money to do anything else. I wouldn't expect it to be as cheap as 85 cent, because of obvious overheads are dearer. But closer to 1.00 would be nice, 99 cents I can't say I've seen, but it definitely don't stay there for long. And usually it's some dicounted deal.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 11:27 PM   #63
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Could it be because petrol is so dear now, people only use there vehicles when they need to like going to work, picking kids up from school etc. So they aren't just jumping in just to go for a drive for a bit of sight seeing, which what people use to do when they didn't have the money to do anything else. I wouldn't expect it to be as cheap as 85 cent, because of obvious overheads are dearer. But closer to 1.00 would be nice, 99 cents I can't say I've seen, but it definitely don't stay there for long. And usually it's some dicounted deal.
But the point is that petrol ISNT dear now. The petroleum companies know that aussies didn't really start changing their driving patterns until 150cpl, plus the national fleet is more fuel efficient than ever, and a vast number of motorists have downsized cars to keep the fuel bills low. I would say enjoy it while it lasts, as the cartels always have some reason to manufacture a reason why the price should go up beyond supply and demand.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 21-01-2016, 11:53 PM   #64
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I still drive like that. My whole family drives like that. When we're bored we just go for family drives. Once about a few weeks ago while up at a friends bach we got bored and my mates hopped in my car and we took a 2 hour road trip which included a car ferry to go down to the neared KFC and grab a feed Best roadtrip ever I reckon. It was amazing, had a couple hours of banter, took a scenic route and even went down to see the Marsden Point refinery! (We're city slickers alright, refinery's are cool to us )

Petrols was $1.70 a litre at that point for us. I'd just gotten my paycheck from my summer job at that point so hey, money well spent!

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 12:38 AM   #65
SYZ
Beaut Ute

So... yesterday I filled up in Morwell at 126.4CPL and the Victorian terminal gate price was 103.0CPL.

What's the breakdown of this 23.4 cents more? Who gets what? Or, how much does the retailer pocket per litre?
SYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 02:53 AM   #66
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
But the point is that petrol ISNT dear now. The petroleum companies know that aussies didn't really start changing their driving patterns until 150cpl, plus the national fleet is more fuel efficient than ever, and a vast number of motorists have downsized cars to keep the fuel bills low. I would say enjoy it while it lasts, as the cartels always have some reason to manufacture a reason why the price should go up beyond supply and demand.
Cheap to what? Prices of late? They got us use to dear prices so now you think anything under 150cpl is cheap. Yes everyone has down sized cars, they want more efficient cars. Why? Because petrol isn't cheap. This is why I ride a bike to work.
Old 22-01-2016, 02:55 AM   #67
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
I still drive like that. My whole family drives like that. When we're bored we just go for family drives. Once about a few weeks ago while up at a friends bach we got bored and my mates hopped in my car and we took a 2 hour road trip which included a car ferry to go down to the neared KFC and grab a feed Best roadtrip ever I reckon. It was amazing, had a couple hours of banter, took a scenic route and even went down to see the Marsden Point refinery! (We're city slickers alright, refinery's are cool to us )

Petrols was $1.70 a litre at that point for us. I'd just gotten my paycheck from my summer job at that point so hey, money well spent!
Just wondering if you're a one wage family?
Old 22-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #68
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just wondering if you're a one wage family?
Nah. Both parents work full time and I had a summer job at the time of my trip up north to my mates Bach (contract over now though). We're not a very big family at that either, I'm the only child.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"

This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #69
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I guess it's just not fuel, our wages just aren't keeping up with inflation, where years a go it was common for just dad to work and mum to be at home. Now it's not so common as both parents work. Just back then it was a cheap practice to pack a couple sandwiches and a few drinks in a esky and just go for a drive somewhere. And fuel was never a factor, but now you have to allow for it.
Old 22-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #70
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I guess it's just not fuel, our wages just aren't keeping up with inflation, where years a go it was common for just dad to work and mum to be at home. Now it's not so common as both parents work. Just back then it was a cheap practice to pack a couple sandwiches and a few drinks in a esky and just go for a drive somewhere. And fuel was never a factor, but now you have to allow for it.
I guess back in those days most people had a 3 bedroom house, even if they had more than 2 kids. Did every single family also have 2 cars? I think it's more rare these days for kids to share bedrooms, and a family to only have one car.
Many families probably have 2 working parents these days, but they probably have a more 'comfortable' lifestyle.
I'm not saying inflation is not an issue, but it seams to not be the only reason most families want 2 incomes.

As for fuel, I paid 107.9 the other day at Newcastle's newest servo. That is the lowest price I have ever paid since getting my licence in 2006

Last edited by Ben73; 22-01-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #71
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I guess back in those days most people had a 3 bedroom house, even if they had more than 2 kids. Did every single family also have 2 cars? I think it's more rare these days for kids to share bedrooms, and a family to only have one car.
Many families probably have 2 working parents these days, but they probably have a more 'comfortable' lifestyle.
I'm not saying inflation is not an issue, but it seams to not be the only reason most families want 2 incomes.

As for fuel, I paid 107.9 the other day at Newcastle's newest servo. That is the lowest price I have ever paid since getting my licence in 2006
Yes but everyone seem more stressed these days as well. But I suppose it's all part of a grown economy. But back on topic 107.9, yes that's more like it.
Old 22-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #72
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Price went over $1- at the time of the Iraq war, I'm sure when that's all over it will drop to reasonable.

waiting

waiting
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #73
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
And because of that we now need to import all the bitumen that we make roads out of. The side effects of not refining our own has been severely understated IMHO.
Back in the day I was always under the impression that Aus oil was "light" (good for petrol) and we have always imported most of our bitumen???
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 10:44 PM   #74
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Clevo View Post
Back in the day I was always under the impression that Aus oil was "light" (good for petrol) and we have always imported most of our bitumen???
Apparently there are still two refineries in Aus still producing bitumen. What oil they use, I dont know http://www.smh.com.au/environment/en...09-12kx67.html
Old 23-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #75
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
Apparently there are still two refineries in Aus still producing bitumen. What oil they use, I dont know http://www.smh.com.au/environment/en...09-12kx67.html
The oil we have is no good for bitumen because it's to thin, so we did import the oil for that, but we don't make the good old stuff like we once did use for roads and that's why the roads fall apart as they can do.

The bitumen we use now does not have the strength to hold to the stone of what it was many years ago.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #76
My32Doors

BORAL (Bitumen and Oil Refineries of Australia Limited) started as a company in 1946 making bitumen. It has since diversified elsewhere.
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #77
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I thought we still had 4 refineries here. WA, QLD and 2 in Vic.
we do ......

we have one here in Geelong ( was a shell but think it is vivo or something like that ) or it must be a mirage there is also a mobil one in Yarraville

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #78
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think its getting more common for mum and dad to both be on welfare. Every month thousands of jobs are vanishing or being sent offshore. Here in Sydney they want to amalgamate all of the local councils to get rid of the fat, that will mean many many job losses. Smart government even sacks all the employment providers and Centreline staff, hundreds more jobs gone. Australia Post and Sydney trains. Sacked thousands and replaced with a skeleton staff of migrant workers. Where I Live has been flooded with Indians and they all seem to get jobs straight away. Something about fake student visas? They live 10 to a granny flat. When I call up the NAB I have discuss my financial details with someone in India. You don't need to tell me about standard of living. That's for the politicians on the gravy train.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #79
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by My32Doors View Post
BORAL (Bitumen and Oil Refineries of Australia Limited) started as a company in 1946 making bitumen. It has since diversified elsewhere.
SAFCOL tuna South Australian Fisheries Cooperative Limited (Product of Thailand)
Old 23-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #80
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL078 View Post
I think its getting more common for mum and dad to both be on welfare. Every month thousands of jobs are vanishing or being sent offshore. Here in Sydney they want to amalgamate all of the local councils to get rid of the fat, that will mean many many job losses. Smart government even sacks all the employment providers and Centreline staff, hundreds more jobs gone. Australia Post and Sydney trains. Sacked thousands and replaced with a skeleton staff of migrant workers. Where I Live has been flooded with Indians and they all seem to get jobs straight away. Something about fake student visas? They live 10 to a granny flat. When I call up the NAB I have discuss my financial details with someone in India. You don't need to tell me about standard of living. That's for the politicians on the gravy train.
Mate you are spot on there and it's strange how the visa's work. It all depends on what they are studying for, to how many hours their spouses are allowed to work.
Old 23-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #81
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL078 View Post
Uh, you sure about that? My parents are from India, dad's got a masters in Engineering and mums got a masters in Architecture. When they arrived here (2000) neither could find any work and dad had to work in maccas to make ends meet. Now 16 years later, dad works 50-60 hour weeks on a factory line (40 hours + Overtime) and mum works full time as an accounting cleric. Both earn about $21 an hour. Not really much for people with masters degrees and experience in management positions for both of them.

Don't knock on em mate. Some of them are decent hard working folk. You're right in saying there are a couple students who are absolute ****s, (and some of them are creeps too). These are also the ones exploiting student visas, avoiding tax etc. etc. but most of the Indians you meet aren't in much better positions than your average bloke. And trust me, the majority hard working indian folk, and those of us who've grown up here (like myself) hate the way the fob indian students act, they give a bad name for us all.

Last edited by Qwerty321; 23-01-2016 at 06:29 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #82
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Uh, you sure about that? My parents are from India, dad's got a masters in Engineering and mums got a masters in Architecture. When they arrived here (2000) neither could find any work and dad had to work in maccas to make ends meet. Now 16 years later, dad works 50-60 hour weeks on a factory line (40 hours + Overtime) and mum works full time as an accounting cleric. Both earn about $21 an hour. Not really much for people with masters degrees and experience in management positions for both of them.

Don't knock on em mate. Some of them are decent hard working folk. You're right in saying there are a couple students who are absolute ****s, (and some of them are creeps too). These are also the ones exploiting student visas, avoiding tax etc. etc. but most of the Indians you meet aren't in much better positions than your average bloke. And trust me, the majority hard working indian folk, and those of us who've grown up here (like myself) hate the way the fob indian students act, they give a bad name for us all.
Mate I hope that's not directed at me, we are talking about student visas. When they come from recuitment they have to have their correct papers to start work. And it depents on what sort of study degree, masters. or just cert. to weather ther can work 20 hours per week or 40. And yes they are had working and honest people, especially the singh people.
Old 23-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #83
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

We've gone from USA/Aus fuel prices to Student visa's.

Back on topic please.
Old 23-01-2016, 10:09 PM   #84
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mate I hope that's not directed at me, we are talking about student visas. When they come from recuitment they have to have their correct papers to start work. And it depents on what sort of study degree, masters. or just cert. to weather ther can work 20 hours per week or 40. And yes they are had working and honest people, especially the singh people.
Aw ****, sorry mate. I thought we were talking about them showing up on student visas and working when they aren't supposed to for cash, avoiding tax and faking jobs for pr etc. (which quite a few do). I wasn't directing that at you or anyone in particular though. Didn't mean it like that at all.

But yea, back on topic. This has nothing to do with petrol prices. Speaking of which, prices have dropped again for us in NZ. Can get a Litre of 91 for $1.57 in Auckland now, that's 10c down from last week.

Old 23-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #85
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Mate, In 1997 was earning $21 per hour (casual) doing unskilled work at a newspaper plant. Thanks to the internet, that $400M plant is now closed.in 1997. When I left there in 2006 I was on $32 per hour. And that's when I could actually get a job. This country has gone backwards thanks to 'work choices' and union corruption. Enterprise agreements that allow employers to pay **** money that only visa workers can live on. Cameras in the workplace and stuff like that. They don't even have cameras in the gaol workshops. It would just be a better place if there were more jobs to go around. As for New Zealand. It has long been a backdoor for migrants that would be rejected for entry into Australia in the first instance.
Old 23-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #86
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People can dither about details all they like, the facts are this:

Back when oil was nearly $150 a barrel, our dollar was fairly weak, and we were paying around $1.50 to $1.60 a liter.
We have been assured for years that a dollar rise in oil means, roughly, a cent a liter at the pump.
Prices at the pump rise the instant oil goes up, despite the petrol in the tanks being produced at the old oil price.

Now oil is under $30 a barrel...and we're still paying around $1.19 a liter.

Can someone explain why, if the "logic" we have been told for years by the petrol industry is true, we aren't paying around 50 cents a liter...?

When input costs fall...and falling from $150 a barrel to only $30 a barrel is too big a change in input costs to hide by any stretch of twisted logic...a business must charge less for the finished goods, or else be blatantly ripping off the customer and raking in massive profits.

And the ACCC couldn't care less...they're busy chasing supermarkets for charging too much for milk or something...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2016, 11:41 PM   #87
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Think of the lack of Government revenue if fuel was at 50c a litre...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2016, 01:02 AM   #88
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

211G6E, why must a business charge less? What right do you had to demand cheap anything?
Supply and demand will dictate prices, and demand is obviously still high if as you believe, the public is being ripped off yet people still pay the asking price!
I very rarely charge what I think I must charge, moreso I charge what the market will bare, and I have no doubt you do too in whatever you do, so why shouldn't a business?
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2016, 01:52 AM   #89
SYZ
Beaut Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Supply and demand will dictate prices, and demand is obviously still high if as you believe, the public is being ripped off yet people still pay the asking price [...]
Unfortunately, the "supply and demand" principle breaks down for the supply and pricing of petrol. At a practical level, nobody can choose not to buy petrol; therefore the demand is fixed, and never variable.

The supply of crude oil is also relatively consistent over time as well; this means the oil companies can charge whatever they like for their product regardless of both its supply, and the demand for it. And they do; it's called price gouging. Oil companies also engage in price fixing—all suppliers raise and/or maintain product prices simultaneously, and beyond what seems to be justified by changes in input costs.
SYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #90
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
211G6E, why must a business charge less? What right do you had to demand cheap anything?
Supply and demand will dictate prices, and demand is obviously still high if as you believe, the public is being ripped off yet people still pay the asking price!
I very rarely charge what I think I must charge, moreso I charge what the market will bare, and I have no doubt you do too in whatever you do, so why shouldn't a business?
JP
Because business is just legalised crime?