Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Anzac Dollar
Yes 27 26.21%
No 34 33.01%
Wouldn't mind if NZ adopted Australian Dollars 27 26.21%
Not Sure / Undecided 15 14.56%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #61
DODDO
Can man

Ive only just heard of it so im undecided, but you guys are making some good points against it, but still undecided. It would be a real tribute to the diggers of both out nations, but logistically, it just would be way too hard.
Old 24-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #62
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT290
Sorry what I did fail to mention with regard to the federation thing as explained in my previous post, It was infact not a good thing for Australia to embrase the NZ federation thing as it would have infact became responsible for repaying the Moaori people for the big cover up.

Of course alot more indepth than that and more could be said but in a nut shell that is it. So if you have a comment on NZ and political history make sure you know what your talking about. behind some political decisions there is a hidden ajenda or reason for doing or not doing and not always the obvious either.
: x 100. Honestly buddy, booze and political history is not a good mix
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #63
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
There are a few countries in europe that are seriously regretting not becomming apart of the euro. Can one of you tell me what was so wrong about them doing this I mean those that are in it have prospered from it and who here is to say that both in our ****y existance down under would not benifit form some form of unison that strengthens our position as a trading comunity. lets not get all tide up in our identities and cloud our judgement for the greater good and survival.
There are Countries that wanted in but were not ADMITTED to the EU.

Those that are in have prospered because prices have risen through the roof.

In Europe a single currency sort of makes sense. To get from one country to another you only have to go for a weekend drive, and if it's so terrific why is the UK not using Euro's?

I have two friends that have been in OZ for three months from Europe (one from Austria and one from Poland) and they both say that the only really good thing is they can drive anywhere there without going through the hassle of changing currency.

Other than that the EU is not as good as it seems from here.

So personally I can see no point in the exercise.
Old 24-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #64
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Kiwi's have a strong sense of self identity. I can't see this one getting up. But if they keep loosing cricket match's like the last one, anything is possible.
I hace to say out back jack that you are right in the first sentance but what do you really know about that apart from the fact that we are a nation of strong rugby players who I might add are humble in winning as well as defeat and are shite at cricket ever since sir richard retired. Tell me what you know mate (apart from the fact that you guys up there in the Alice can race boats on a sandy river with no water) about a strong identity. Tell me how you live in this country as a pround nation of people to gether. Be carefull how you answer because its not a trick question and it certainly bears wait in explaining what you know of a truly strong identity within a nation that lives in harmony with its true people.
Old 24-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #65
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
I hace to say out back jack that you are right in the first sentance but what do you really know about that apart from the fact that we are a nation of strong rugby players who I might add are humble in winning as well as defeat and are shite at cricket ever since sir richard retired. Tell me what you know mate (apart from the fact that you guys up there in the Alice can race boats on a sandy river with no water) about a strong identity. Tell me how you live in this country as a pround nation of people to gether. Be carefull how you answer because its not a trick question and it certainly bears wait in explaining what you know of a truly strong identity within a nation that lives in harmony with its true people.
Lived there for 8 years, 2 in CHCH, 2 in Wellington, and about 4 in AKL. I know just a wee bit about NZ and her people. I married one of them.
Old 24-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #66
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
: x 100. Honestly buddy, booze and political history is not a good mix
I don't see any mention of booze and politial history there. maybe you could explpain you point with a little more than : thanks
Old 25-04-2007, 12:28 AM   #67
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdouw
wouldn't NZ be better off becoming another state of AUSTRALIA?
I belive there is a clause in our constitution that alows NZ to join our federation. Then the All Blacks would be a state side, lol. Perhaps they could join the super 14(15)s. : The Kiwis would be forced to sing Wallaby you good thing at the world cup. :

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 06:56 AM   #68
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

I'm not sure. If it works out to be stronger for both then why not? All I'm worried about is what the USD will be like. Buying parts weekly sucks when 1 NZD buys 0.65 most of the time, though, it's high at the moment, highest it's been for around 2 years - 0.74 (+/-). I'd love to buy from the States at a 0.85+ rate.......be awesome.
Old 25-04-2007, 08:38 AM   #69
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
What an appropriate name.. because it will be worth ZAC $h|t :evil3:
hahahahahhalol LMAO
too true
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #70
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
What an appropriate name.. because it will be worth ZAC $h|t :evil3:
1.00 Australian Dollar(s) = 1.11355 New Zealand Dollar(s)

11 cents...wow I don't see a very big difference there do you. One day it will be worth the same regardless of whether it becomes a "zac $h/t" currency (as you put it) or stays as it is.
Old 25-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #71
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have to look at it from an economic perspective (not that it will be cute to have the same currency) but it will obviously benefit either the NZ or Australian economy and weaken the other, or enhance both, or weaken both. Nobody really knows, until (if) it happens, and then smooths out afterwards. I guess it all depends on how NZ trades with it relative to Australia. If they sell our ANZAC Dollar for US dollars or Euros cheaper than we do, then it screws us up completely. If they sell it for more than we do, then nothing would happen, cos we trade at our lower price. So who really knows? There should be a better reason to do it than just to make two countries feel good about each other.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #72
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NZ has a higher inflation rate than Aussie but a higher cash rate than Aussie which encourages both overseas investors and speculators to buy up New Zealand dollars which in turn has taken the value of the New Zealand dollar to record highs which is crippling our manufacturing and agricultural exporters. It would seem that a way to break this cycle
Old 25-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #73
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Quote:
1.00 Australian Dollar(s) = 1.11355 New Zealand Dollar(s)

11 cents...wow I don't see a very big difference there do you. One day it will be worth the same regardless of whether it becomes a "zac $h/t" currency (as you put it) or stays as it is.
11c makes quite a big difference. The way I see it a dollar is a dollar no matter how many zeros follow. Single pensioner or corporate tycoon, no one I know of likes to throw away $1. For example say you were to purchase a car from the states. $10,000 USD car would equal $14,500 with .80 that same car would be worth $14,500 at .69. $2,000 from the 11c difference is (for me anyhow) not something I would call a small margin. If it were your average $30K USD the margin would be $6,500, again, these market ups/downs although small to some do make a hell of a difference.

:
Old 25-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #74
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
You have to look at it from an economic perspective (not that it will be cute to have the same currency) but it will obviously benefit either the NZ or Australian economy and weaken the other, or enhance both, or weaken both. Nobody really knows, until (if) it happens, and then smooths out afterwards. I guess it all depends on how NZ trades with it relative to Australia. If they sell our ANZAC Dollar for US dollars or Euros cheaper than we do, then it screws us up completely. If they sell it for more than we do, then nothing would happen, cos we trade at our lower price. So who really knows? There should be a better reason to do it than just to make two countries feel good about each other.
yes, they say the way it was presented to th NZ public lead to the popular response asking thier opinion on an anzac dollar is pleading to the patriotic side which for both sides concerned has strong conotations to Glippolli etc... Presenting it as an economic proposal would have attracted a much different response I think. The bussiness community however would probably welcome it but I think NZ should still have its identity on the coinage and notes as do the euro countries.
Old 25-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #75
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ NZTS50 ]
11c makes quite a big difference. The way I see it a dollar is a dollar no matter how many zeros follow. Single pensioner or corporate tycoon, no one I know of likes to throw away $1. For example say you were to purchase a car from the states. $10,000 USD car would equal $14,500 with .80 that same car would be worth $14,500 at .69. $2,000 from the 11c difference is (for me anyhow) not something I would call a small margin. If it were your average $30K USD the margin would be $6,500, again, these market ups/downs although small to some do make a hell of a difference.

:
Aussie companies invested 50 billion dollars in new zealand venturs and new zealand companies 25 billion here. Maybe if the dollar was the same there would be more investment in australia. Not bad for the Aussie companies gaining 11 cent in the dollar but not so good the other way. Companies stand to make profits on their investments though unlike the single person wanting to buy a product or an item from over seas such as the example you described but you must remember that the cost is all relitive to the dollar value of that country. If for example you wanted to purchase that same car here in Australia you would more than likely pay even more than what you lose on your currency exchange anyway.
Old 25-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #76
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

We could just put the same print on both our dollar coins to eliminate exchange rate ****!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #77
Scott

International currency is easy, it comes down to what a Cheeseburger is worth
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #78
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
and if it's so terrific why is the UK not using Euro's?
Because they have the most valuable currency in the world!!! No one in their right mind would walk away from the sterling pound. See the GBP fall to 0.30USD and you might see a bit more willingness to adopt EUD

Whereas if your currency is of a much lower value, it makes sense to adopt a new currecny (minor adjustments occur at shopfront level - go order a coffee in greece).

BTW cross rates (technically an exchange rate is a currency expressed in USD. To express NZD in AUD or vice versa is a cross rate) are based primarily on the interest rate differential between two countries. Take $1AUD, convert it to USD, deposit it for 12 months, convert back to AUD and it should be same amount as taking that $1AUD and depositing it in australia... of course, ignoring transaction fees, FX spreads etc. The laws of arbitrage (risk free profit) will see any deviation from this vanish instantly as a result of market forces.

The value fluctuates around this point, as a result of demand (need to buy/sell something in NZD) and of course, speculation (usually based on cash rate speculation).
Old 26-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #79
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Because they have the most valuable currency in the world!!! No one in their right mind would walk away from the sterling pound. See the GBP fall to 0.30USD and you might see a bit more willingness to adopt EUD

Whereas if your currency is of a much lower value, it makes sense to adopt a new currecny (minor adjustments occur at shopfront level - go order a coffee in greece).

BTW cross rates (technically an exchange rate is a currency expressed in USD. To express NZD in AUD or vice versa is a cross rate) are based primarily on the interest rate differential between two countries. Take $1AUD, convert it to USD, deposit it for 12 months, convert back to AUD and it should be same amount as taking that $1AUD and depositing it in australia... of course, ignoring transaction fees, FX spreads etc. The laws of arbitrage (risk free profit) will see any deviation from this vanish instantly as a result of market forces.

The value fluctuates around this point, as a result of demand (need to buy/sell something in NZD) and of course, speculation (usually based on cash rate speculation).
yep. what I was trying to say and you explained it better. The cash rate is better in NZ which makes the dollar attractive to buy.