Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #61
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco426
Franklin should come as no suprise. The media knows about many things, but they just dont go to air with it. Like why Geelong did so well at the start of '06 then dropped off suddenly for no reason.
Ok I'll bite, Why DID geelong drop off in '06, I thought it was because they were a team who thought they were champions and soon had their asses handed to them by the rest of the competition. But if there is a better reason then I am all ears.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #62
peachey80
Nothing stays standard !!

Quote:
Franklin should come as no suprise. The media knows about many things, but they just dont go to air with it. Like why Geelong did so well at the start of '06 then dropped off suddenly for no reason.

Me too, I'll bite.
I'm guessing you or the media know something that the most of us don't......

On the thread topic.....
AFL players are entertainers, if all 'entertainers' got sacked or dragged through the coals for admitting they have an addictive illness, then it would be a pretty boring world. Drug addiction is an illness, the same and alcoholics, gambling, they have people to help them get over there illness. What those poeple need I am guessing is some support. They guy is half there, he's realsied he has a problem, addmitted it, now he's trying to do something about it !! We don't know what sort of personal issues Ben had to drive him to what he did.
Imagine how Cousins would have felt if every club turned there back on him and rejected him. Do you think that would have helped him get over his illness, or drove him deeper into it ??
Give the guy a break !!! If he gets busted now after getting thrown a lifeline, then yes, THEN you couldn't blame people for wiping him like a dirty a&$e.

Project Car : XA Coupe : XA Project
peachey80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #63
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

So far its been great for Richmond.

-An overwhelming positive response from the Tiger fans and others.
-New members joining up, 600 yesterday, even more expected today.
-Players also giving their full support for their new team mate.
-Timely for Richmond now deciding on a new sponsor - will be big exposure for whoever becomes the new sponsor, as well as for Dick Smith who is the other (current) sponsor.
-An ad in the Herald Sun today to boost membership even more.

The whole thing seems to have Sheedy written all over it.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #64
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I for one cannot believe the support this sports person is getting...Drug taking 1st grade sports people should have only 1 chance and if they screw that up for even a minor drug offence should be banned from whatever sport it is they play for life...NEVER TO RETURN to first grade. Too many people look up to these people and they influence too many people to have it any other way.
Old 18-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #65
rosco426
Charger Lovin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Ok I'll bite, Why DID geelong drop off in '06, I thought it was because they were a team who thought they were champions and soon had their asses handed to them by the rest of the competition. But if there is a better reason then I am all ears.
Sorry, no intention to make people bite, just a fact that a few people hat I know also know. Nothing to do with football either. I'd love to say it, but ideally not this especially on a public forum.
rosco426 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #66
scoupedy

[QUOTE=Green X]Then i guess you don't have a problem with Bikie gangs, Street gangs, Illegal firearms and organized crime either all things that drug addicts help support and people that Ben is know to hang out with!!

Me i don't give a rat's about sports stars and the like, why people find these peoples life's so interesting is beyond me.
QUOTE]

Do these people play footy? Are you putting Ben in this class are you?
We agree on one thing- i don't care what he does in his own time, the only people that should be concerned is the team that is paying his wage.

HE HAS NEVER BEING FOUND WITH DRUGS IN HIS SYSTEM WHILST PLAYING OR OTHERWISE, UNLIKE SIX PLAYERS WHO HAVE BEEN CAUGHT TWICE (CRAWFORD AND FRANKLIN WHO HAVE JUST WON A PREMIERSHIP)
SO WHY IS HE TREATED DIFFERENT??
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #67
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
I for one cannot believe the support this sports person is getting...Drug taking 1st grade sports people should have only 1 chance and if they screw that up for even a minor drug offence should be banned from whatever sport it is they play for life...NEVER TO RETURN to first grade. Too many people look up to these people and they influence too many people to have it any other way.
HE HASN'T EVEN HAD THAT YOU FOOL HIS CLUB HAS GIVEN HIM MANY WARNINGS FOR DIFFERNT THINGS BUT HE HAS NEVER TESTED POSITIVE BY THE AFL WHEN 6 OTHERS HAVE AND ARE STILL ABLE TO PLAY. WHEN DID BEN GET HIS FIRST CHANCE? WHAT HE DOES IN HIS OWN TIME IS HIS BUSINESS
Old 18-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #68
bluovl

I cant believe some attitudes here.
Give the guy a break like the rest of society gets.

The critics should also boycott and criticise the rest of the 'entertainment industry'.
Heath Ledger is firming as a favorite for an Oscar. Whats the difference??
His activities were well known. I dont have time to sit down and reel off every actor,musician and 'entertainer' thats mucked up with drugs and still sells movies/albums.

Sport is entertainment.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #69
peachey80

Quote:
Sorry, no intention to make people bite, just a fact that a few people hat I know also know. Nothing to do with football either. I'd love to say it, but ideally not this especially on a public forum.

ha ha ha ha, in other words you know no more than the rest of us......... I know the next tatts numbers too, but sorry can't tell you. :
I heard there was some unsettlement between a few players.... and a rumour that Josh Hunt had pulled a bit of a Wayne Carey on someone elses wife...... Any truth in that ? What ever it was, they turned it around.

Old 18-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #70
rosco426
Charger Lovin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachey80
ha ha ha ha, in other words you know no more than the rest of us......... I know the next tatts numbers too, but sorry can't tell you. :
I heard there was some unsettlement between a few players.... and a rumour that Josh Hunt had pulled a bit of a Wayne Carey on someone elses wife...... Any truth in that ? What ever it was, they turned it around.
Something like that I believe, but not quite that. Saturday I'm coming around for a drink, put 2 mil in a bag and I'll let you in on the story.
rosco426 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #71
prydey
Rob

ben cousins can still be an example! lets assume he has a stella year and really turns his life around. what a good example to someone who finds themselves in a similar low point to cousins. he could be an example that you don't have to let drugs beat you.

people need to look at the big picture. as stated numerous times, cousins is not alone when it comes to drugs in sport and yet for some reason everyone wants his head.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #72
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluovl
I cant believe some attitudes here.
Give the guy a break like the rest of society gets.

The critics should also boycott and criticise the rest of the 'entertainment industry'.
Heath Ledger is firming as a favorite for an Oscar. Whats the difference??
His activities were well known. I dont have time to sit down and reel off every actor,musician and 'entertainer' thats mucked up with drugs and still sells movies/albums.

Sport is entertainment.
Have to agree.The list of drug takers that are now classed as icons are endless.

Eric Clapton- multi grammy artist formally a coke addict
Jimi Hendrix- legendary
Elvis- same
The Beatles- all had their phases

etc
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #73
peachey80

Quote:
Something like that I believe, but not quite that. Saturday I'm coming around for a drink, put 2 mil in a bag and I'll let you in on the story.

PM me the story, and I'll buy you a beer ! :

Old 18-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #74
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

This getting close Michell Corby !!! Sick of hearing about it...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #75
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Story was that Brad Ottens was doing another players girlfriend, can't quite remember who's, maybe Steven Kings? Cameron Ling claimed in an interview the rumour was utter garbage so who knows if it was just one of those rumours that are untrue.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #76
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

She must like tall ruckmen...................
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #77
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
HE HASN'T EVEN HAD THAT YOU FOOL HIS CLUB HAS GIVEN HIM MANY WARNINGS FOR DIFFERNT THINGS BUT HE HAS NEVER TESTED POSITIVE BY THE AFL WHEN 6 OTHERS HAVE AND ARE STILL ABLE TO PLAY. WHEN DID BEN GET HIS FIRST CHANCE? WHAT HE DOES IN HIS OWN TIME IS HIS BUSINESS
I am talking in general about ANY drug taking high profile sports people, and as for what he does in his own time.....I am sorry when did it become legal to take drugs?? If you’re caught in your personal life and not by the sporting body makes no difference. What you are suggesting is like saying it is ok for a police officer to commit illegal acts as long as it is in their own time
Old 19-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #78
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
I am talking in general about ANY drug taking high profile sports people, and as for what he does in his own time.....I am sorry when did it become legal to take drugs?? If you’re caught in your personal life and not by the sporting body makes no difference. What you are suggesting is like saying it is ok for a police officer to commit illegal acts as long as it is in their own time
Ok so what you are saying that if you break petty laws you should lose you career?
so say the cops pull you over and bust you with say a bald tyre should you lose your job? SAY A TRUCK DRIVER IN A SEMI
A bald tyre can affect other people just like you taking drugs
AND HE HAS NEVER BEEN CHARGED YOU KEEP MISSING THIS POINT.
SHOULD PEOLE LOSE THERE JOB WHEN THEY ROOT AROUND AND GET A DIVOIRCE?

YOU SAY "CAUGHT IN PERSONAL LIFE" HE WAS NOT CAUGHT ANYWHERE BUT ADMITTED TO IT.

WOULD YOU RATHER SOMEONE DECK YOU OR TAKE DRUGS AT HOME AND NEVER BOTHER YOU? THATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEN AND BARRY, BARRY GETS TO PLAY ON SAY A LITTLE APOLAGEE AND MOVE ON
Old 19-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #79
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
to me i hate how he has gone about it, so arrogant and smug.

just goes off and does the party boy thing with drugs and booze, then expects people to pay for his re-hab then expects to play agian, didnt even seem like he ever had the idea of what consequences could occur.

That's what annoys me about the whole thing
Was the best player at WCE and their best ever captain, his come back game for WCE was 40+ possessions when there were people wondering if he could run out the game.

He paid his own way through rehab and all costs in his recruiting after being deregistered by the AFL without ever testing positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
So the message is clear - drugs are OK, as long as you're good at footy.
Or 90%+ of vocations where you are not drug tested ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
prydey, my gripe is how he just smirked about it, "yeah i took drugs" "ok ill go to rehab as long as someone else pays" (then expecting AFL to pay for it, wtf?)

then just assumes he gets to play footy again, complete BS.

you even sniff a steriod in athletics and your balls go on the bansaw!
Unless you 'retire' and make a triumphant 'come back' after your period of not being tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
I dont think he should be aloud to play ever again!, its setting the wrong example for young kids!
If setting a bad example for kids was grounds for not being allowed to play there'd be about 3 AFL players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack
lets see how good he realy is without the gogo juice in him.hope richmond win the flag then have it taken off them caues he tests positive
Can't win the flag from 9th

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
I hope he never plays another game in all honesty.

If he cannot submit a clean sample to say he is drug free, then he shouldnt play. No ifs, No buts.

If I have to submit to a full drug and alcohol test for work, then he should too.
He's had massive amounts of testing and will continue to as a targeted player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
there were a few players last year, from a particularly successful 08 side who did test positive fro drugs and were given warnings more than once but it was stopped being leaked out. The story was backed up by someone who witnessed them buying some pills at a pub, not of the chemist bought variety
[injunction]
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #80
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
WOULD YOU RATHER SOMEONE DECK YOU OR TAKE DRUGS AT HOME AND NEVER BOTHER YOU? THATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEN AND BARRY, BARRY GETS TO PLAY ON SAY A LITTLE APOLAGEE AND MOVE ON
Barry dished out 1 air swing and a love tap on Staker. All WCE cried fowl that Barry should be suspended for it. Ling got absolutely axed by Solomon and nobody seems to think he should be kicked out of the game.

The likes of Cousins, Carey, Didak and co. collect fat pay cheques for being role models. As soon as the stuff up they whinge about pressure and have any manner of excuses for behaviour that other employers wouldn't put up with. If he wants to have a job in the AFL then he needs to follow the rules.
Old 19-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #81
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
stuff
Ben Cousins is still a knobhead.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #82
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Barry dished out 1 air swing and a love tap on Staker. All WCE cried fowl that Barry should be suspended for it. Ling got absolutely axed by Solomon and nobody seems to think he should be kicked out of the game.

The likes of Cousins, Carey, Didak and co. collect fat pay cheques for being role models. As soon as the stuff up they whinge about pressure and have any manner of excuses for behaviour that other employers wouldn't put up with. If he wants to have a job in the AFL then he needs to follow the rules.
there is nothing in an AFL players contract that says 'you must be a rolemodel'....they collect fat pay cheques for being the best at their sport.

And dont try to say Solomon's hit was harder than Barry's, Staker was KO'd.

For the record too, just remember that Cousins has never been caught with drugs in his system, nor with drugs in his possession. He was suspended for 12 months due to being caught for 'Driveing Irradically' through ?Freo?. The Eagles basically added that to his other no no's from over the years and decided it was the last straw.

He never recieved 3 strikes from the AFL, hell he never recieved one.
Old 19-12-2008, 11:42 PM   #83
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Ok so what you are saying that if you break petty laws you should lose you career?
Drug takers in high profile postions...ABSOLUTLEY....
P.S.
I hate AFL so I really don't know a great deal about wweather he was caught by the AFL or the police, but he did admit it and has been to rehab and absconded from that.....speaks for itself.

I also think Andrew Johns should not be allowed anywhere near the NRL again,
in ANY capacity.

Edit: if memory serves correctly didn't Cousins diliberatly not show up for drug tests? ...hmmm maybe that is why the AFL never caught him. If a drink driver refuses to give a sample..it is viewed the same as being over the limit and you lose your licence.
Old 19-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #84
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU

And dont try to say Solomon's hit was harder than Barry's, Staker was KO'd.
as long as you believe it, its not a lie.

that fairy tap on the cheek wouldn't have scratched a 6 yr old.

as soon as i read your comment i looked at your details and what a surprise, you're from w.a.
Old 20-12-2008, 12:06 AM   #85
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
as long as you believe it, its not a lie.

that fairy tap on the cheek wouldn't have scratched a 6 yr old.

as soon as i read your comment i looked at your details and what a surprise, you're from w.a.
There's a term for what you've just said:

Keyboard Warrior

It's good to see you know that hit wouldn't hurt a 6 yr old.
I'd like to see you stand up after it. At least, with your attitude someone like you would deserve the hit.
Old 20-12-2008, 01:28 AM   #86
prydey
Rob

hey look, another westerner standing up for staker.

do you take all sayings as literal??

of course literally it would've harmed a 6yr old, but it wasn't much more than handbags at 10 paces if you ask me.

if having an opinion different to others makes me a keyboard warrior then so be it.
Old 20-12-2008, 01:43 AM   #87
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
hey look, another westerner standing up for staker.

do you take all sayings as literal??

of course literally it would've harmed a 6yr old, but it wasn't much more than handbags at 10 paces if you ask me.

if having an opinion different to others makes me a keyboard warrior then so be it.
So being from WA makes MY opinion different or biased somehow?

Edit: The fact of the matter, Hall's actions were condemed from all areas of football, even Paul Roos was dumbfounded by it.

Without derailing the thread further, I'd rather give someone who is only hurting themselves a second chance, than a thug who hurts others.

Last edited by DoreSlamR; 20-12-2008 at 01:50 AM.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2008, 03:59 AM   #88
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Edit: if memory serves correctly didn't Cousins diliberatly not show up for drug tests? ...hmmm maybe that is why the AFL never caught him. If a drink driver refuses to give a sample..it is viewed the same as being over the limit and you lose your licence.
I don't believe you can not turn up for drug tests. If you aren't present when they want to test you, they will go around to your house and wait I assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon99
Can't win the flag from 9th
Richmond might not be able to win the flag from 9th, but Adelaide did it from 12th, and Geelong from 10th in 1997 and 2007 respectfully.

I am all for Cousins returning. Yes, he's had issues and may still have some, and people are saying that "if you do drugs, it's okay if you're an AFL player", but he is meant to show that you can lead a positive drug-free life afterwards.

If the AFL shut the door on his face, the message would be, "You're a druggie. The world scorns you. Hand your head in shame and give up on life now."

It went beyond a football issue, and became an important personal one, and the AFL and AFLPA had to ensure the right thing was being done by Ben, as well as the AFL ensuring that the game stays clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon99
If setting a bad example for kids was grounds for not being allowed to play there'd be about 3 AFL players.
While I am sure that is not meant to be taken literally, you're right. AFL players are not angels, and with their spare time and large amounts of cash, some people get involved in the wrong crowds and make mistakes.

It is not an AFL player's sole responsibility to be an example to children.
It is the parents' responsibility to point out mistakes and correct them, and also praise a child for doing the right thing.

After almost finishing a teaching degree, I had no time for parents who put no time into raising their children (some didn't even make lunch for their grade 2 kids) with the attitude, "the teacher can do it."

Wonder why we're seeing good old values like manners, consideration and kindness go to hell?

Because of all the things you'll learn when you're a kid, you'll (often) **** up just like your parents did. It all just happens again way down the line.
Adults who have no manners will often raise children without manners.
That isn't an AFL player's role. Sole responsibility is on the parents.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #89
Wally
XP Coupe

I think the AFL players do pretty well in the scheme of things. Their drug testing reveals only 2.5% illicit uses and as i recall only 1 person has ever tested positive to anabolic steroids. Compare that to Joe Average in the same age group and, it's outstanding.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #90
Bossxr8
Peter Car

People who are saying that its ok for him to take drugs in his own time need to remember that taking drugs during the season could have a negative effect on his performances come game time. That, and its illegal, make it the main reason why it was looked at as so bad by the Eagles, and why its different for someone in an average job to do drugs in their own time, they are not athletes who's bodies require being 100%.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post