Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #61
davistev

Cool Re: People saying cars are hard to sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85 View Post
There are a lot of dreamers out there trying to sell cars. But there are also a lot of genuine people trying to sell very well looked after cars.
Well said but many more are dreamers.

That said, I am finding many well maintained 1990s vehicles out there for cheap prices (Falcons, Commodores, Magnas & Camrys). Many coming with full service books after all these years. I think that side of the market is just flooded and for someone who knows their way under the hood - great bargains can be had.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #62
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Default Re: People saying cars are hard to sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3 View Post
So not all sellers are going to take lowball insulting offers . . .
Unless the offer is a kick in the teeth or something to that effect, you really don't have any reason to be insulted. I'll offer you a $1, you'll say no and we both move on.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #63
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

So i just proved my theory again. Sold the MRS 2002 Ford Laser in less than 24 hours. Everything on carsales for the same car and condition is between $5000 and $5500. Hers had 166k on it and was in good condition (few little dings here and there) advertised it for $4900 and sold it for that just now. For interest sake here is the add, presentation plays a big part. http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...5&sort=default
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #64
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
So i just proved my theory again. Sold the MRS 2002 Ford Laser in less than 24 hours. Everything on carsales for the same car and condition is between $5000 and $5500. Hers had 166k on it and was in good conditon condition (few little dings here and there) advertised it for $4900 and sold it for that just now. For interest sake here is the add, presentation plays a big part. http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...5&sort=default
I really dislike ads that have photos taken in dark parking garages.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #65
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Doesn't matter what you like. The car sold in 24 hrs.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #66
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Also, to add constructively to this thread, we sold the Mrs Hyundai Accent the other day. Sold within a week and a half of being advertised, to the point that the first person to look at it bought it the same day he looked at it.

Cars are easy to sell!

Oo\===/oO
Old 05-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #67
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
Doesn't matter what you like. The car sold in 24 hrs.
Maybe it was an exception, or maybe it was a budget car so it didn't really matter. Generally speaking, dark garages do nothing to show off a 'nice' car, if you're trying to sell a higher priced car, which is in good condition, outdoor shots are the only way to go.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #68
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That era Laser was such a great car.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #69
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately all the “free” places to advertise your junk have really let the lunatics out of the asylum. Wading through pages of their tripe to find the genuine article is laborious. Some have NO idea. Some of the classic are:
“I paid $10k for the car, and have spent $10k on maintenance, so it must be worth at least $20k.”
“I paid $X for the car, but I got a BARGAIN, so I can sell it for more.” I can remember my DAS BIL telling me how he had bought a car from a 2nd hand dealer, and was going to sell it at a profit!?!
“The local rip-off dealer has one with a sticker price of $X, and mine is ‘just as good’ so that’s what it will sell for.”
The worst are those where they have wasted huge amounts changing things on the car to their preference, and not only do they fail to realise that they have actually diminished the car in most people’s eyes, but they expect to be fully compensated for the money they have spent.

That said, its no fun dealing with the numpty buyers either. A couple of times I have been offered more in cash by a dealer or wholesaler, than I could get privately. Once I was offered $12k for our old Patrol, so I rang back one of the interested buyers (who had offered me $11k) and said he could have it for the same price as the dealer, and he responded by offering me $11.5k. (in the end I got an extra $500 from the dealer anyway .)
Old 05-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #70
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I find it interesting how someone is trying to sell a car, say for example $35,000 on car sales.

They have two smudgy camera phone photos taken on an iStone from 2000BC in the rain, on two angles which show nothing and a description which consists of 4 words:

"this very good car"

If you were trying to sell something for a large amount of money it probably helps to have a good description and photos.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #71
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
Maybe it was an exception, or maybe it was a budget car so it didn't really matter. Generally speaking, dark garages do nothing to show off a 'nice' car, if you're trying to sell a higher priced car, which is in good condition, outdoor shots are the only way to go.
I strongly disagree i sold my VY clubsport with a garage shot as well, it was this one actually. If this doesn't show the car off i don't know what does

Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #72
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
Like Fordomatic's post above, I disagree as well. Sure there can be some dodgy dark pics on Carsales, but since when do good shots of cars have to be outside during the day?

Oo\===/oO
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #73
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

I love lowballers who haven't even looked at whatever you are selling

They get told 'you don't really want it', and then hung up on.

Second least favourite is the dodgy sms asking you to email them back. I normally play with them a bit, then tell them to do not nice things to a goat.

I got an sms one day, asking is your car still for sale. I asked them which car. ( I always ask this to weed out scammers).

Long story short-we each thought the other was dodgy.

Anyway, the next person contacted me knowing what they were looking at, and the car sold no issues. I even ended up selling the guy some other parts I had that he needed for a project.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #74
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I strongly disagree i sold my VY clubsport with a garage shot as well, it was this one actually. If this doesn't show the car off i don't know what does
Yes, but clubsports BELONG in dark dingy garrages
Old 05-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #75
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So i just proved my theory again. Sold the MRS 2002 Ford Laser in less than 24 hours. Everything on carsales for the same car and condition is between $5000 and $5500. Hers had 166k on it and was in good condition (few little dings here and there) advertised it for $4900 and sold it for that just now. For interest sake here is the add, presentation plays a big part. http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...5&sort=default
clean, honest car at a fair price
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #76
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

And those 1.8L Mazda FP-DE engines are bullet proof, ours has 345,000km on the clock and has been abused all its life, never left us on the side of the road.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #77
davistev

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
clean, honest car at a fair price
Agreed - probably could have gotten $600 more for it but then again the best price is when everyone has a smile.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #78
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistev View Post
Agreed - probably could have gotten $600 more for it but then again the best price is when everyone has a smile.
Agreed but it was priced to sell, no point waiting a few weeks for one call. I always sell this way, price it as the around the same as the cheapest and don't budge on price. Once they see the car is presented well it sells itself.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #79
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Maybe cheap run abouts or cars that are just everyday cars are selling quick but rare cars that are just toys that sit in garages are selling slow at the moment. My T3 TS 50 of which only 3 like it were built has been for sale for 6 months. Its also a bit hard to compare prices as there are no others like it for sale. My Pursuit 250, My EB GT and My VN SS Group A sold very quickly, like 4 weeks.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #80
davistev

Quote:
Agreed but it was priced to sell, no point waiting a few weeks for one call. I always sell this way, price it as the around the same as the cheapest and don't budge on price. Once they see the car is presented well it sells itself.
Good point. I am finding that redbook.com.au seems to be more accurate nowadays than in the past. In the past, Redbook always seemed on the low side but I am not really finding that anymore. Redbook price for your car started at $4500.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #81
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Mate i'm not having a go but these cars that are 30 grand are not selling. No one in there right mind would pay 30 grand for an 09 xr6 turbo. There are 2010-2011 ones that are immaculate for that price. I've been looking for 4 months because every seller i've talked to has lied to me. It seems my opinion of "immaculate" is very different to others. It took me 6 months to find the clubby i just sold, and i got it for the price i was prepared to pay. I'm willing to wait for the new one but im sick of sellers lying.

All i'm saying is that if people "want" to sell there cars, price them competitively and don't lie to buyers. It's worked for me every time i've sold a car so i cant see why it's so hard.
Hey, so true. I hate shopping for 2nd hand cars. Went to see an "immaculate" car with faded paint and an interior that appeared to have hosted a rage party. I think "immaculate" to most means "it starts first go". ****** me orf.

I have very high standards, even when shopping for a runabout.

As for the price logic - you're dead right. If it's been on Carsales for a few months, your asking too much or it a POS or both. Or its an AU Falcon.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #82
89.SVO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never seem to have an issue selling cars. Be realistic with your price. Sold my old XF Fairmont in 08 for $1500. My EB XR6 mock up for $4800 mid last year. and my DF LTD 5L for $8250 end of last year.
89.SVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #83
FGXR
Starter Motor

Too many people think their car is the best on the market and they are entitled to be payed a premium because of it. Often the condition is rather poor to say the least
FGXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #84
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

110% agree on making sure your car is clean and good working order before you sell.

I hate when I got to look at a car and the seller says "it needs a new handle, they're only $10" Well why didn't yo fix it and have a better chance of selling your car?

I've sold all of my cars to the first person that checks it out, getting them to come out is the tricky bit!

Last edited by flappist; 06-04-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: do not avoid the swear filter
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #85
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89.SVO View Post
I never seem to have an issue selling cars. Be realistic with your price. Sold my old XF Fairmont in 08 for $1500. My EB XR6 mock up for $4800 mid last year. and my DF LTD 5L for $8250 end of last year.
its sort of odd you say "be realistic with your price" then say you valued your EB at 5k and a DF at 8k. Where did you find these suckers?

agreed with the dislike for undercover parking & photos outside of work on the street like the sale is a spur of the moment thought with the car half prepared. Also have a dislike for over the top, tryhard professional shots when selling a car like the clubsport above......... whats it called, light painting or something?

Just a nice shot of the car sitting in the owners driveway, RWC already done not thinking about getting it done when someone wants the car. If house & yard looks delapidated then you can assume thats how they look after all their belongings........

Last edited by AU Mont; 07-04-2013 at 12:28 PM.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #86
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look on Carpoint, Carsales, in magazines, in newspapers, at similar cars to what you are trying to sell. Add a little if yours is better than average.

However, that's the price everyone else is asking...to be blunt, you may have to drop a few thousand to get a realistic chance of selling it with any rapidity.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #87
davistev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Look on Carpoint, Carsales, in magazines, in newspapers, at similar cars to what you are trying to sell. Add a little if yours is better than average.

However, that's the price everyone else is asking...to be blunt, you may have to drop a few thousand to get a realistic chance of selling it with any rapidity.
Where you live can have a huge impact on sale price. Someone may drive 500km to see a 5.0L Mustang, but the price may have to be lowered for a Ford Laser with 350,000 Km on it
Old 07-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #88
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
agreed with the dislike for undercover parking & photos outside of work on the street like the sale is a spur of the moment thought with the car half prepared.

Just a nice shot of the car sitting in the owners driveway, RWC already done not thinking about getting it done when someone wants the car. If house & yard looks dilapidated then you can assume that's how they look after all their belongings........
Seeing some cars advertised parked on the street in the inner city. That tells you it hasn't been garaged and is a negative. Also people in that position are less likely to clean their car regularly as they'd have to go to more effort to take it to a DIY car wash place or worse they only use automated.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #89
89.SVO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
its sort of odd you say "be realistic with your price" then say you valued your EB at 5k and a DF at 8k. Where did you find these suckers?

agreed with the dislike for undercover parking & photos outside of work on the street like the sale is a spur of the moment thought with the car half prepared. Also have a dislike for over the top, tryhard professional shots when selling a car like the clubsport above......... whats it called, light painting or something?

Just a nice shot of the car sitting in the owners driveway, RWC already done not thinking about getting it done when someone wants the car. If house & yard looks delapidated then you can assume thats how they look after all their belongings........
excuse me? I priced my cars realistically for what mods they had done. Both the cars were sold to the first people who looked at them.

U mad?

Also, both the EB and LTD were sold without roadworthys. Rego included, as is.
89.SVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #90
AU Mont
Banned

like i said, where did you find these people?

i can see a lucrative market here mate.......... buy eseries for $500, sell for 5k....... profit !!!!!
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post