Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #61
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Default Re: Ford Marketing, or lack of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Would that just be comments from FB posts ?? or from FF as well. Posted on FB makes me think its just FB comments.Hope its from both sites. Does Ford Australia post here, under an alias????
I'd imagine it's only from Facebook
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #62
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I like the bundled ads Ford was running for fiesta and Focus, I recon advertising Falcon and Territory together and give people a feel for whats on offer..

On the current run rate, 300 "people" buy a falcon every month out of a general population of nearly 22,350,000. Not sure if it is wise to do spend a lot of cash on broad TV advertising which is targeted at 0.00134228 % of the population??

By "people" I mean private sales which are approx 30% of Falcon sales.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #63
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
I would like to see ford advertise the Falcon more, considering how much investment has been made over the last few years. However, this "Ford dont advertise" thing is only because they dont specifically target TV media, like Toyota or Holden. Take a look at caradvice.com.au (where people are likely to research their next car), Ford have rolling adverts on most pages, today its the Focus titanium, last week it was actually EcoLpi falcon. Ford also have naming rights sponsorship for certain charities as well. Ford DO ADVERTISE, its just a bit more targeted instead of a blanket TV campaign that everyone ignors anyway.
I love comments like this.. There must be allot of stupid companies out there as I see lots of TV add all the time!!!

When the company I work for puts a TV add on air, the sell through rate for that product lifts too!! Funny that!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #64
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nni
According to the Ford Australia Facebook page there's some promotion happening soon with the Falcon.

"Hi all, we’ve seen quite a few comments from you in the past several weeks about advertising for Falcon. We want you to know we’re listening to them and will be sharing some updates about what we’re doing to promote Falcon soon. There are quite a few exciting things coming up which we’ll share as soon as we can. We appreciate your support."

Better late then never!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #65
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I love comments like this.. There must be allot of stupid companies out there as I see lots of TV add all the time!!!

When the company I work for puts a TV add on air, the sell through rate for that product lifts too!! Funny that!!
ok, but does the entire potential market for your product already know about it, and already consider your product against its competitors when purchasing?
Falcon's lack of sales has nothing to do with lack of advertising. It's lost sales of LWB, Wagons, and V8's because we don't have them to sell.
It's lost rental fleet sales becuase now when you book a "Falcon/Commode or Equivalent" they give you a flaming Camry.
It's lost corporate sales in Vic & NSW becuase Julia has driven the economy into the crapper."
It's lost sales everywhere else becuase car owners have been made to feel guilty and are convinced that by buying a Hyundai that uses 5% less petrol they will save the planet.
Ironially, It's also losing sales becuase we have become MORE like Americans. We don't care how big a **** our car is as long as it hasit has all the latest gadgets.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #66
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy
On the current run rate, 300 "people" buy a falcon every month out of a general population of nearly 22,350,000. Not sure if it is wise to do spend a lot of cash on broad TV advertising which is targeted at 0.00134228 % of the population??

By "people" I mean private sales which are approx 30% of Falcon sales.
You misunderstand, Ford is still doing TV ad so all I'm saying is that advertising several Fords at the same time
could be a better tack than advertising just one which is what you're alluding to - not advertising at all is death.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #67
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nni
According to the Ford Australia Facebook page there's some promotion happening soon with the Falcon.

"Hi all, we’ve seen quite a few comments from you in the past several weeks about advertising for Falcon. We want you to know we’re listening to them and will be sharing some updates about what we’re doing to promote Falcon soon. There are quite a few exciting things coming up which we’ll share as soon as we can. We appreciate your support."
Good to see they may be doing something, there have been a lot of employees who are seriously pssd that when sales continue to drop Fords solution seems to be to just sit on their hands and do nothing.

A least make some sort of effort to show they at least care a little bit about it.

I think there would be a very high percentage of the population that would not even be aware Ford have a MkII or an LPi available, i'll bet if you walked up to the average person on the street they would not now they existed.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #68
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Ad idea.

Start with the XK falcon driving along, some young bloke in seat...

Car enters tunnel

Car exits tunnel with young bloke now in his 70's in the passanger seat, looking quite jealous of his son driving the new FG...

50 years and going strong, truly australian

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #69
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You misunderstand, Ford is still doing TV ad so all I'm saying is that advertising several Fords at the same time
could be a better tack than advertising just one which is what you're alluding to - not advertising at all is death.
In my reclining couch slumber last night Icould have sworn I saw a VW ad that showed several models and highlighted their features. I became fully-conscious when the Golf self parking bit came on as I thought it was a Focus ad and thought, hang on maybe it's Ford's full product range. Wouldn't hurt to copy it or cut and paste the diffferent Ford ones into a small combined show....AND maybe a colour palette update would be possible....

Last edited by Dr Smith; 13-03-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #70
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Ad idea.

Car enters tunnel

Car exits tunnel with young bloke now in his 70's in the passanger seat, looking quite jealous of his son driving the new FG...

Great idea!! but Ford has no imagination!!!
Old 13-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #71
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I think there would be a very high percentage of the population that would not even be aware Ford have a MkII or an LPi available, i'll bet if you walked up to the average person on the street they would not now they existed.
guaranteed they wouldn't have a clue as to what the latest offerings are from all the other manufacturers either!!
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #72
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Ad idea.

Car enters tunnel

I like it but Holden already did something like this with their ute a few years ago.
Old 13-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #73
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly
I like it but Holden already did something like this with their ute a few years ago.
LINK
So copy from the best, get old mate going out into the XK and as he starts the drive it slowly morphs into progressively newer models.

Australia has come a long way and been through a lot of changes over the last 50 years and Falcon has been there all the way.
Old 13-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #74
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

Australia has come a long way and been through a lot of changes over the last 50 years and Falcon has been there all the way.
Exactly, its a message that needs to be hammered home.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 13-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #75
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I heard the adds for the new LPI Falcon on the radio in Adelaide this morning. They were going on how powerful and economical it is, running LPG.

The thing with radios is, how often do we turn the dial, when listening to it? Not real often.

tellies, generally we walk away when an add comes on to go do something, hence missing adds on there.

I'm not sprooking about radio adverts, but thinking about it, it makes sense.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #76
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Radio is one of the most effective forms of advertising, its where you are swayed to spend your money, whilst earning it.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 13-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #77
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford has great ads..this is one of my favourites..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZzXHq7gKN8
and this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPBYN...eature=related
Old 13-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #78
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

FYI - regarding the Steve McQueen reference in the Mustang ad, the TV show Alcatraz is going to completely reshoot the Bullit car chase in an upcoming episode. It will be in all the same places, with the same premise, but with current Chrysler and Ford versions of the old cars.

I can't wait!

Maybe we should get a re-shoot of some Mad Max sequences with some modern cars in the mix......

Lukeyson
Old 13-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #79
WUB913

There is not much marketing on television because of lack of stock in nearly all models!
Old 13-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #80
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ad idea.

Car enters tunnel

Except for the fact that the car market has changed and people don't want to drive what their dad drove. (current Falcon sales numbers are the best proof of this) Plus most advertising is "aspirational" - showing a car that your dad drove 50 years ago and has pretty much the same thinking now is not aspirational in any way.

I do get the retro heritage aspect - but one could argue those buyers don't need convincing - they are the people who are going to buy a Falcon anyways.

Last edited by Spammy; 13-03-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 13-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #81
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit off topic but goes to Ford's pricing policy for imports. I've developed a chart pf comparable models
available here and in the UK. Drive away prices are provided for Focus, Mondeo and Kuga as listed
in UK, Australia and a projected UK + %50 for exchange rate. Now some of the Focus prices are close
but Mondeo and Kuga are off the chart for profit, perhaps it's why Mondeo doesn't sell as well as expected...

Imagine a Mondeos built and sold for $25K to $40K drive away, do you think they would sell like hot cakes?

I sure do...

Last edited by jpd80; 13-03-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 13-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #82
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
ok, but does the entire potential market for your product already know about it, and already consider your product against its competitors when purchasing?
Falcon's lack of sales has nothing to do with lack of advertising. It's lost sales of LWB, Wagons, and V8's because we don't have them to sell.
It's lost rental fleet sales becuase now when you book a "Falcon/Commode or Equivalent" they give you a flaming Camry.
It's lost corporate sales in Vic & NSW becuase Julia has driven the economy into the crapper."
It's lost sales everywhere else becuase car owners have been made to feel guilty and are convinced that by buying a Hyundai that uses 5% less petrol they will save the planet.
Ironially, It's also losing sales becuase we have become MORE like Americans. We don't care how big a **** our car is as long as it hasit has all the latest gadgets.
You forgot to add that by buying a Falcon the purchaser is sneered at by the neighbours and workmates and stereotyped as a bogan. Sad but happens and certainly not good for the brand. I think Holden and Ford are really suffering because of this.

People want other people to like and approve their purchase - not knock them about it. Superficial I know, but a surprising number of people care about peer pressure - the majority really.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #83
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
You forgot to add that by buying a Falcon the purchaser is sneered at by the neighbours and workmates and stereotyped as a bogan. Sad but happens and certainly not good for the brand. I think Holden and Ford are really suffering because of this.

People want other people to like and approve their purchase - not knock them about it. Superficial I know, but a surprising number of people care about peer pressure - the majority really.

all of that + the size/concept of a large 6cly domestic car is no longer relevent. People who just want a car to get from A to B buy a Mazda 3 or Corrolla. Familes who want a large car to cart 3 kids and a dog buy a SUV. People who want to tow a boat/van buy a SUV. Fleets are moving to Mazda and Subaru.

Where does that leave the Falcon ??
Old 14-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #84
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

75% of Falcons are/were purchased by fleets and their actions speak much louder than the retail buyer.
If EcoLPI is not attracting serious fleets sales then Ford is in a pickle, hence aggressive discounts on EcoLPI.
Old 14-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #85
stevz
Banned

Sorry to say, but those ecolpi radio ads where they make 'vroom vroom' noises make me cringe. I have to change the station when they come on.
Ford are completely and utterly clueless when it comes to making a decent ad.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #86
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A bit off topic but goes to Ford's pricing policy for imports. I've developed a chart pf comparable models
available here and in the UK. Drive away prices are provided for Focus, Mondeo and Kuga as listed
in UK, Australia and a projected UK + %50 for exchange rate. Now some of the Focus prices are close
but Mondeo and Kuga are off the chart for profit, perhaps it's why Mondeo doesn't sell as well as expected...

Imagine a Mondeos built and sold for $25K to $40K drive away, do you think they would sell like hot cakes?

I sure do...
I posted today, on the Focus page, Titanium in America is just under $18kus and with our exchange rate to the US $ it would be nice if ours was around that price !!!!!!!

2012 Ford Focus SE
Transmission: 6-Speed Powershift Automatic, Equipment Group 202A, Power Moonroof, Interior Protection Package, 50-State Emissions System, Contrasting Leather-Trimmed Sport Frt Bucket Seats, Engine: 2.0L I-4 GDI Ti-VCT PZEV, 2.0L 4 cyls, FWD, automatic, 2 miles, Oxford White, stock # CL219889, new...more

MSRP $21,030
Discount $1,119
Rebates $2,000
Internet Price $17,911...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As Low As 0.9% APR*

Last edited by csv8; 14-03-2012 at 12:59 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #87
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did a survey on tv car ads, tonite,
Channel 9..8pm to 9.30pm. Mazda 2 & 3..3 ads. Jeep 2..Ford (Euros) 2...Kia 1..Great Wall 1. Prius 1...
Channel 12..9.30 to 10.45pm.
Mini Coupe and Roadster 4...Mazda 2 2. BMW 3 Series 1..
Mazda are heavily advertising and what are sales for the Mazda 2 and 3 like ? Fantastic !!!! I rest my case...
Old 14-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #88
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Channel 9..8pm to 9.30pm. Mazda 2 & 3..3 ads. Jeep 2..Ford (Euros) 2...Kia 1..Great Wall 1. Prius 1...
Mazda are heavily advertising and what are sales for the Mazda 2 and 3 like ? Fantastic !!!! I rest my case...

Flawed analysis - Mazda are pushing their small cars in the strongest sector of the car market and bit like margarine, there is not much differerentiation between brands. So advertising is crucial and pays off - particullary as these cars sell to private buyers.

Falcons are a completley different product in a different market.

To use an extreme example: Do you see advertisments for artificial limbs on TV ???

At the current sales rate there are approx the same number of people who lose a limb in australia each year as those who buy a Falcon as a private buyer.
Old 14-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #89
prydey
Rob

Quote:
you watched less than 3 hours of tv and came to that conclusion? i've watched 3 hours of tv before and not seen one auto ad so that cancels out your 3hours.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #90
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot more people surf the internet now than watch TV at night, that has been the big change over the last ten years.
Reaching these consumers had made the ad men's job much more difficult, so that's whay the shift to sporting events on pay ect.