Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: For or against - anonymous poll
Yes, I have no problem with it. 125 96.15%
No way, I don't agree with it at all. 5 3.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Default Re: Euthanasia - your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L View Post
It begs the question why isn't it being debated.
religion is big part of it, but clearly we are not allowed to talk about it. how times have changed.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm for it. I think there's certain situations where it's warranted, but the difficulty is those situations are different for different people.

My nurse partner is very much against it, although she admits she's probably been the one to give the dose that pushed someone over the edge on a few occasions.

My favourite author wrote this article on why he was for assisted death.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...icide-tribunal

Unfortunately he has since passed away, surrounded by his family at home. I still don't know if it was assisted or it was just time.

I think it's important that it's a decision made by the person, when they can make that decision. Like many others, my grandmother slowly became not herself over the years. Some days she didn't know who I was, some days she did, or she thought I was my brother.

But she never did express a wish to end things, and fought the whole way. I think both options are acceptable.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #3
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

I'm surprised that no one's brought up any reasoning why u can put down an animal who has no decision in the matter, but can't check yourself out legally when it's your life and your decision

Its prob got to do with a berthing certificate
orn
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think its something that one should be able to do to another, but I think you should be able to be given assistance legally to take your own life. Better that than get it wrong and end up a burden for others to deal with.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 09:26 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cant wipe my own bum

knock me on the heads

regards

michael schumaker
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

With this so sensitive issue unfortunately there's a light & dark side to this very urgent & timely conversation.

From the community or patient's standpoint the issue is pretty clearcut, but... Refer to Andrew Denton's quest on euthanasia I reckon.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #7
OzriderXR8

My father died in the UK a few years ago, he made the decision relatively early to refuse treatment and signed all the DNR forms. His wishes were respected (not that anyone had any choice in the UK) and they just administered pain killers until he passed.

I don't know what the law is here, I've heard of doctors and families overriding such decisions and forcing treatment, simply prolonging the pain and frustration.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2017, 12:55 AM   #8
xr8cam

All my dogs have all given unconditional love everyday of their lives. Very few humans even know what the word means so I view animals welfare very seriously. My sweet Doberman became ill 18 months ago with heart disease and as soon as it became apparent she was not going to recover, I lay on the floor with her whilst the lovely Dr gave her a sedative so when she did administer the sodium pentobarbital, my sweet girl drifted off with my words of love in her ears. I lay there for an hour before leaving. It was the hardest thing I have done but it doesn't compare to the pain that keeping her alive would have caused. People need to know when to say goodbye to a loved pet and I believe a person with a terminal illness should have the same right to request an ending to life on earth as they see fit.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #9
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm for it, and dont see any minefield if legislative problems. Typically every individual needs to confront their fate. We will all die! Some too early! But with forethought that individual can set in place determinations by which they expect others to act under certain circumstances. Denying the reality of death, and the resultant inactions' cause more heartache than necessary. The dead dont mourn, the living mourn the dead for many reasons, including for the reminder of their own mortality. Lessen the impact of death on those who will remain. Plan for your demise! Leave instructions for them to follow and everyone is clear on your wishes. Ah but we dont talk about death do we. Its taboo, like discussing it will bring it on sooner.
I have left written legal instructions with my family on how I'm to be treated under a variety of situations, cancers, dementias, accidents, that I hope never eventuate, if they do, and my family are able to fulfill them legally, everyone will be better off. And ill be dead so wont know any better.
Don't take this as criticism if loved ones you've lost acted differently, we all face death differently, but in my opinion taking control of our death as we would our life is the best solution.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: