Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #61
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Default Re: ANZAC Day

I agree with the others here, it's disgraceful how you were treated, Fordomatic.

I have enormous respect for those in the armed forces, even though I've never been a member (the closest I've been was mandatory ROTC training at uni overseas, many years ago).

While I don't know anyone in the Aussie military, my family has lost a member to armed conflict and for me, ANZAC Day is a day to remember him.
My mum's dad was in the Philippine Army in WW2, a captain in the USAFFE (United States Army Forces in the Far East). He was killed by a Japanese grenade while rescuing POWs during the liberation of Manila.

There is a statue of him outside a well-known Manila university.

I remember all those who have given their lives in combat through this poem by Thomas Moore (1779-1852):

The Minstrel Boy

The minstrel boy to the war is gone,
In the ranks of death ye will find him;
His father's sword he hath girded on,
And his wild harp slung behind him;
"Land of Song!" said the warrior bard,
"Tho' all the world betray thee,
One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,
One faithful harp shall praise thee!"

The Minstrel fell! But the foeman's chain
Could not bring his proud soul under;
The harp he lov'd ne'er spoke again,
For he tore its cords asunder;
And said "No chains shall sully thee,
Thou soul of love and bravery!
Thy songs were made for the pure and free
They shall never sound in slavery!"

Third verse added by an unknown author during the American Civil War:

The Minstrel Boy will return we pray
When we hear the news we all will cheer it,
The minstrel boy will return one day,
Torn perhaps in body, not in spirit.
Then may he play on his harp in peace,
In a world such as heaven intended,
For all the bitterness of man must cease,
And ev'ry battle must be ended.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post