Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #61
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Indian Microsoft phone scam

Got a call from these clowns.
"Hello, I am (woman) from (wherever), blah blah"
I interrupt - "you're trying to sell me something aren't you"
her - "why do you the think that I'm trying to sell you something"
me - "because there was a 5 second delay after I answered the phone, and you have an Indian accent"
her - "yes but why do think I'm trying to sell you something" (getting cranky)
me - "because you aren't likely to be wanting to give me something for nothing are you"
her - starts going off at me
me - "are we having an argument now ?"
her - "no no no but I want to tell you ..."
me - "but I don't think that I'm interested"
her - more cranky now and aggressive
me - "our first fight - isn't it romantic ?"
her - " I don't think I want to talk to you now"
me - "no worries, bye" (hangs up)

I'm never rude to people who are just trying to earn a living but this is just criminal activity.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #62
MrsLow006

Yes these fellas been going on for a while. I have even had the "your parcel was returned undelivered" email - but that's a whole nother thread
Anyway the last time "trevor" called he asked for me by name. So conversation goes.....
"Hello is Mrs ......... home"
I know straight away and say "No"
Trevor says...... Well when will Mrs ......... be home
I say " I don't know I'm just the burgler"
Phone goes quiet then dead.

XB - ENVY

XB WAGON - Dark Angel
MrsLow006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #63
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Hello, is Mrs (surname) home ?"
"No, but I could be for the right money ...."
Old 27-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #64
MrsLow006

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe
"Hello, is Mrs (surname) home ?"
"No, but I could be for the right money ...."

XB - ENVY

XB WAGON - Dark Angel
Old 27-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #65
danthefordman
Leftyos

I have been getting heaps of calls where it hangs up as soon as i answered, guessing it is the same thing, wanting to talk to my wife. She had a call recently and was following their instructions as he walked her through different parts of our computer. Apparently he was quoting to her details off our computer. He then instructed her to go to a website to fill out and submit our info. She started to twig and did some google searches about the site and got worried then told the guy she would check with me so ring back later. Without knowing it was a scam i told her to tell him to firetruck off if he called back which she did. Could anything be gained from him trolling though our computer with her. She didn't offer him any info just confirmed what he was telling her. They have tried it on with me before as well but i just hang up as soon as there is a pause. Wonder if the Feds make any effort to track these clunts down. I would prescribe physical violence as a long term deterrent, i don't find it funny at all.
Old 27-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #66
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthefordman
I have been getting heaps of calls where it hangs up as soon as i answered, guessing it is the same thing, wanting to talk to my wife. She had a call recently and was following their instructions as he walked her through different parts of our computer. Apparently he was quoting to her details off our computer. He then instructed her to go to a website to fill out and submit our info. She started to twig and did some google searches about the site and got worried then told the guy she would check with me so ring back later. Without knowing it was a scam i told her to tell him to firetruck off if he called back which she did. Could anything be gained from him trolling though our computer with her. She didn't offer him any info just confirmed what he was telling her. They have tried it on with me before as well but i just hang up as soon as there is a pause. Wonder if the Feds make any effort to track these clunts down. I would prescribe physical violence as a long term deterrent, i don't find it funny at all.
ACCC is apparently looking into it, scamwatch is aware of it, I don't watch TV, but I assume it's been publicised a lot.

The last person I had asked for Mrs. Grace...I'm not married yet, so I just played dumb, but I'd be keen to know where they got my name...

It seems that being on a no call register means nothing to these people...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #67
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yesterday I recieved about 8 calls on our house phone which rarely rings cos we all have mobiles. Of these all had the 5 sec delay but only 2 had a person on the other end. 1st was a male and in an indian accent he couldn't pronounce my name and I just hung up, no callback. 2nd was female and started telling me about my computer, I screamed into the phone ******* off and hung up. We too are on the DNC regiister and since being on this is the only time we have had this type of call. Just in case I have placed a whistle right with the phone for next time.
Old 28-04-2011, 03:58 AM   #68
mad machs
politically incorrect

Get quite a few of these clowns phoning up with "we have detected spyware on your computer" type deal.

They usually end up talking to Gunnery Sgt Hartman on The Full Metal Jacket soundboard, going to link up my landline so I can record some of the most extraordinary conversations.
Old 28-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #69
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit OT but amusing -
Years ago a mate bought a house for peanuts in an inner-city area because buying was cheaper than renting at the time.
Years pass and the house is now worth squillions, so real estate agents drop flyers in the letterbox suggesting it was a good time to sell.
Mate contacts agents and says - "read the 'no junk mail' sticker on the letterbox please". Agents persist.
Enter the fax machine era.
Mate is one of the early private owners and is a self-taught tech wiz.
Agent discovers that he has a fax and sends regular 'good time to sell' faxes.
Mate asks agent to stop repeatedly but no result.
Mate works out how to get agent's fax machine to print a fax from him to them, but with a twist.
Agent's fax machine prints fax and keeps printing even when the paper roll runs out and makes fax machine very unhappy.
Mate gets visit from federal police regarding offences against the telecommunications act, but not charged.
Old 28-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #70
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scamming the scammers - there's a heap of this going on, but I'd guess you'd have to be careful of getting viruses.

One of the early sites -
http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/ - a rescammer of Nigerian scammers.
Beware - adult content.

"Tiffany Millions" is hilarious.
What scammer could resist a reply from a blonde, blue-eyed, cashed-up, born-again p*rn star ?
Old 28-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #71
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A bit OT but amusing -
Years ago a mate bought a house for peanuts in an inner-city area because buying was cheaper than renting at the time.
Years pass and the house is now worth squillions, so real estate agents drop flyers in the letterbox suggesting it was a good time to sell.
Mate contacts agents and says - "read the 'no junk mail' sticker on the letterbox please". Agents persist.
Enter the fax machine era.
Mate is one of the early private owners and is a self-taught tech wiz.
Agent discovers that he has a fax and sends regular 'good time to sell' faxes.
Mate asks agent to stop repeatedly but no result.
Mate works out how to get agent's fax machine to print a fax from him to them, but with a twist.
Agent's fax machine prints fax and keeps printing even when the paper roll runs out and makes fax machine very unhappy.
Mate gets visit from federal police regarding offences against the telecommunications act, but not charged.

When I was in business I did that to an office supply company that kept sending me faxes every night with special offers of their wares.

I joined two A4 sheets together with a message telling then to get lost. Then put the leading sheet in the fax machine and hit the send button. When the lead sheet came out the back of the machine, I taped it to the back of the second sheet, thus making a continuous roll. I left it going when I locked up for the day.

I guess they didn't appreciate their fax going until it ran out of paper, as I never got another offer from them again.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #72
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only real risk there is freaking out the fax machine to the point where it overheats and starts a fire.
Old 28-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #73
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Indian Microsoft phone scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Yesterday I recieved about 8 calls on our house phone which rarely rings cos we all have mobiles. Of these all had the 5 sec delay but only 2 had a person on the other end. 1st was a male and in an indian accent he couldn't pronounce my name and I just hung up, no callback. 2nd was female and started telling me about my computer, I screamed into the phone ******* off and hung up. We too are on the DNC regiister and since being on this is the only time we have had this type of call. Just in case I have placed a whistle right with the phone for next time.
Interesting, my better half is also on the DNC register & she is harrassed every second week by "we have found a problem with your computer scam". We just lay the phone down & let them babble on until they realise there is no-one listening to them.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #74
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just had a chat with mate about this scam.
He kept the guy on the phone as long as possible, getting his name, company, city (allegedly Sydney), and street address.
Then the scammer twigged, and accused him of wasting HIS time !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #75
MrsLow006

I so can't stop laughing - cause I have just got off the phone
from PC Health? Indian fellow Asks me what operating system I have.
I say " Well hello, what a conicidence, we were just talking about you on the forums" (not Ford)
He says "really, do you have Bigpond internet connection?"
I say "Would you like me to tell you about what they are saying about you?"
"What?"
I say "Would you like me to repeat to you what is being said about you?"
he says "Do you have a computer?"
I say "No"
silence
"You don't have a computer?"
"No"
His reply is "Then what are you doing in Australia?"
he hangs up

XB - ENVY

XB WAGON - Dark Angel
Old 05-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #76
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

My dad got a call the other day, Indian fellow... this is how it went (dad was playing around)

Indian: Hello, my name is Angel, I am from Microsoft and I need to tell you that your computer is infected by a bad virus.

Dad: (tries to sound like old lady) Oh... ohhhh no! Can I give youmy passwords and credit card numbers?

Indian: No, your computer has a virus.

Sadly Dad didn't continue and hung up... I can't wait until I get one next... and my evil scheme will commence.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #77
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Best way to fix these clowns is to ask for a brand new phone number one that has never been used and ask for it to be unlisted and then only give it to family and friends.
I did this two years ago and have never had a call from them.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #78
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I had this very thing happen yesterday

Him - "We have detected that your computer has downloaded malicious files to your hard-drive........."

Me - "Thanks for letting me know, I'll sort that out right away, Bye"
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #79
Corzza

LOL!!!

This is great!

I have been in the same situation. It really peeves me off

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 12:42 AM   #80
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Any more funnies?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #81
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Funny you should ask...I just spent about 10 minutes on the phone with the ACCC after a call from one of these tosspots.

Apparently, according to 'Ricky' from Microsoft, when I browse the internet, the information that's downloaded has the potential to, and I quote, 'kill my hard drive'...after letting him waffle on for a bit...I called BS, well that was where it got funny.

This turkey thought it would be funny to start talking about my ****, and then proceeded to tell me he wanted to come and see it, as he knew my address...and even quoted it to me when I asked him where he was calling from, was it Sydney today, or India? That was kind of when I snapped...

He was told in very colourful language that he was more than welcome to come over and look at it, but that I was going to beat the living **** out of him if he did.

I repeated I was on a no-call register, as I have done the last seven times they've rung...and hung up on him.

According to the ACCC, they are handing the information over to the Indian authorities to try to nail these tools, but the Indian government, isn't really taking any action on it...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #82
outside
off in outer space

i had them ring again this week
start to tell me that he was form Microsoft and my pc was sending out erorrs and he was there to help.
told me to go to my pc and he would help, i asked him what one as i have 5 in the house, then he said the oldest one, to what i said that they all are the same age.
again he said the oldest one, i asked what OS, he said the XP one. i then told him i dont have one with XP, the line went dead after that.
bugga
Old 19-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #83
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim27
Next time they ring me(Monday@17:30) I'm going to tell them that I'm using an atari 2600 and that I can't get it to connect to the net. I might also ask him/her for a nice curry recipe.
AWesome...we can have an Atari 2600 party...I've got River Raid II...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #84
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've thought about having one of those hand held airhorns you often hear at kids footy games. Letting one off down the phone would be a very gratifying experience.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #85
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

speaking of scams (i hope ),i received a phone call about half hour ago, an indian bird saying "we want to give you $5200.00" then she goes on "you know when the bank over charges you, the government find out, and wants to give you the money back",
i say to her, "who are you from again"
she replies" the the government export returns"............" how would you like your money".
i`m thinking ahead, (SCAM)....... in a second she`s gonna ask me for my name address and banking details, at that stage i say " not interested" and put the phone down, we get these calls usually a couple of times per week.......always trying to give us money .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #86
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Recently scam letter arrived in the mail box! A whole letter. Obviously no one believed it. I used it for an English project haha. Basically it's asking us to try to get money that is unlikely to be ours lol. I bet this Lyman is non existant.

I'm sure some people would/or almost be fooled by it.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #87
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I got an email from the "FBI" the other day. Asking me to provide all my personal details or else they would arrest me - apparently for my own good.

I LOL'd, then deleted it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #88
ch33z1l
Dawn

History and variations of the scam here:
http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/.../itemId/792165

Also a few others there everyone should be aware of.

Waiting for one of them to call me and fix my problem with SkyNet.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #89
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Has been around a while. In addition, people used to used black paper so the receiving fax would also run out of toner/ink. Not possible with the newer type faxes...
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #90
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dirty mongrels, and that one with the solicitor is just plain evil, i like the bit where it says "you and i will be protected",
you could just see it when the policia roll up to his place, "it was those shifty Australians" .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post