Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #61
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Default Re: Holden’s bold plan to ‘de-bogan’ its image, appeal more to Chinese and Indian buyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
Details.... in the end it comes down to product.
Ford need some exciting cars that sell besides Ranger...

Just call it GMH... as long as the product is good.
Fords product is actually ok. Ranger and Mustang are currently best sellers in their class. The Focus, Mondeo and Everest are all award winning. They have the RS Focus on the way. Ford has work to do marketing their small range but at least they have something to work with.

The problem with Holden is outside of the Commodore I cant think of anything off the top of my head that has been near the top of its class or won anything in the last 20 years. Its selling cars purely off the Aussie image which will be gone soon.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #62
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Holden’s bold plan to ‘de-bogan’ its image, appeal more to Chinese and Indian buyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257F5C001862A1

From the article -
"FORMER top-level Telstra manager Peter Jamieson has joined GM Holden as executive director of ‘customer experience’ in a move that sees the car-maker increase its focus on customer service as it transitions to a national sales company next year with the closure of its Australian manufacturing operations."

OMG
I would hardly think the Telstra 'customer experience' is something to benchmark!
Hmm.. americans purposely putting incompetent staff behind the wheel. Kind of like 2008 when all of a sudden Geoff Polites gets shipped off and some random black american dude (osbourne?) is suddenly CEO of Ford Australia. Clueless about the Australian market, he soon left and Ford lost its direction and we know how it all ended.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #63
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Fords product is actually ok. Ranger and Mustang are currently best sellers in their class. The Focus, Mondeo and Everest are all award winning. They have the RS Focus on the way. Ford has work to do marketing their small range but at least they have something to work with.

The problem with Holden is outside of the Commodore I cant think of anything off the top of my head that has been near the top of its class or won anything in the last 20 years. Its selling cars purely off the Aussie image which will be gone soon.
New astra and insignia vxr

Mondeo has practically always been invisible, despite the later ones being decent carfs.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #64
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
So you're not a bogan ?
Is it possible to be both brown and bogan

Growing up my idol was Greg Murphy and my all time favorite car was a VE Maloo. Now my dream car is a XB Falcon GT Sedan (Which I want to tastefully mod so that it has a blower), so yea, don't know what that says about me

Quote:
New astra and insignia vxr

Mondeo has practically always been invisible, despite the later ones being decent carfs.
Yea but Insignia VXR and Astra aren't worth the price. If you're buying foreign, there are many better cars for the same price than a rebadged Opel.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #65
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Is it possible to be both brown and bogan

Growing up my idol was Greg Murphy and my all time favorite car was a VE Maloo. Now my dream car is a XB Falcon GT Sedan (Which I want to tastefully mod so that it has a blower), so yea, don't know what that says about me

Yea but Insignia VXR and Astra aren't worth the price. If you're buying foreign, there are many better cars for the same price than a rebadged Opel.

Matter or perspective.... Opel's sales have been growing steadily in Europe, so they must be doing something right.

VeeWhee is a working class bogan car in Europe.... here its a pinky in the air brand.
Old 25-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #66
The Snout

Holden's best days in this country are done. They really have nothing appealing in their line up and they are about to cut off the locally made 'Aussie' loyalty angle.

Whatever they do they need to take a page from Hyundai or Kia and that is any transformation will need to be a long term process of improvement. There's no quick fix to the stink.

Same can be said of Ford. Ford has some good cars and has a head start plus can leverage off the name overseas (though that isn't helping much). But the customer service problems and image problems, it's not something a few "Ford - We're moving with you" ads are going to fix. They need a culture change. IMO.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #67
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

A car enthusiast may see Ford has an advantage because it has some great cars out in the market place but the average A to B consumer doesn’t see it which puts Ford in the same boat as Holden or even worse.

Marketing focused on changing perceptions will be the key.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #68
Falcman0o7
Banned

Who wants to go rip some hellys bras?!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #69
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Can't bruh, still retread in mi skiddies
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 12:11 AM   #70
fps_grandma

Holden appealing more to Chinese?
The last time my parents had a Holden was the Holden Astra/Nissan Pulsar Button plan rebadge speciale. Engine decided to give up the ghost after over 15 years.
Here's an idea, maybe GM Holden could strike a deal with Toyota Motor Corporation and rebadge the Toyota Corolla as a Holden Nova or something of that ilk LOL.
Unless it turns into the rebadge 86/BRZ wonder duo where most sales go to the 86 anyway.

GM Holden could always flog off the Captiva to some mug who wants an SUV like everyone else but still thinks every Holden in its lineup is true blue Aussie.
Meanwhile Chevy badges on Holden cars continue to amuse me. Chev Chev Chev.

I bought a Ford Falcon because one of so many reasons are you don't see this anywhere around the world and it's a relatively simple rear drive sedan, another automotive unicorn.
Old 26-02-2016, 01:53 AM   #71
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps_grandma View Post
Holden appealing more to Chinese?
The last time my parents had a Holden was the Holden Astra/Nissan Pulsar Button plan rebadge speciale. Engine decided to give up the ghost after over 15 years.
Here's an idea, maybe GM Holden could strike a deal with Toyota Motor Corporation and rebadge the Toyota Corolla as a Holden Nova or something of that ilk LOL.
Unless it turns into the rebadge 86/BRZ wonder duo where most sales go to the 86 anyway.

GM Holden could always flog off the Captiva to some mug who wants an SUV like everyone else but still thinks every Holden in its lineup is true blue Aussie.
Meanwhile Chevy badges on Holden cars continue to amuse me. Chev Chev Chev.

I bought a Ford Falcon because one of so many reasons are you don't see this anywhere around the world and it's a relatively simple rear drive sedan, another automotive unicorn.
again with the Chevrolet badges.... man.
Do mustang bits on a cheap compact sedan amuse you? that's basically what the GT and phase 3 were.
Old 26-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #72
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Don't waste your time, some people are just too thick.

Bringing up Chev badges is a tired old cliche some people cling to because they don't have any legitimate argument to bring up. Much like those who call the Cruze a Daewoo even though it comes down the same production line as the Commodore and the Daewoo name has been defunct for almost a decade.
the cruze is one miserable car
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #73
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
the cruze is one miserable car
Hoping the next cruze will be a step up... it will have to be if GM wants to be in the game.

Have the Thai built Focus been good quality wise?
Old 26-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #74
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
"Holden Vindaloo" has a nice ring to it as a model name.
You could drive it home, warn it up and eat it
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #75
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Sri-V with the 1.6 turbo is far from miserable. I can think of plenty of worse cars that receive praise.

Just because there are worse cars doesn't mean it's a good car. But they are as bad as a Camry for wanting to drive one 😵🔫
Old 26-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #76
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Hoping the next cruze will be a step up... it will have to be if GM wants to be in the game.

I think besides that silly power drive transmission they have been good. The focus is a great steerer but underpowered
Old 26-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #77
skoobysGT

I'm Asian and would not be caught dead in a Camry.

Previous ride: 2011 FPV GT 335
skoobysGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #78
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am a bogan. Besides a 300C SRT what is left for me?
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 09:03 PM   #79
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

no better or worse than Hilux, Ranger, Everest, BT50, Triton, Colarado, Honda, etc......

Last edited by Dr Smith; 26-02-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #80
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
"Holden Vindaloo" has a nice ring to it as a model name.
That'd give me the ****s
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #81
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps_grandma View Post
I'm with you on that. On a global scale, Falcon and Territory are incredibly unique, distinct and different (far less common than a BMW 3 or a Focus for example), and then add in they have been evolved for our automotive landscape over half a century, they really are a megafauna all of our own. Utes even more so.
Old 26-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #82
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree it's ridiculous.

I have all my teeth, don't have a mullet, don't wear flannellete shirts, am educated, don't drink, smoke or do drugs, don't do burnouts and don't have any other characteristics that would class me as a bogan, yet somehow driving a Commodore or Falcon makes me a bogan???
Spot on, same here. I like maintaining older Falcons in immaculate factory condition, so I'm an anorak and a university educated bogan at the same time. Ah, Australia, where else can you combine such diverse interests?
Old 26-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #83
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Easy solution to get rid of the bogan image - get rid of this from all of their cars.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2016, 01:11 AM   #84
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Easy solution to get rid of the bogan image - get rid of this from all of their cars.

Just restyle it.... go back to the old version.
Or have GMH on a blue and white badge....
Old 27-02-2016, 02:07 PM   #85
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My work has had an Insignia VXR all week on loan to try to get the boss to trade the sales managers VE SS, you cant say theyre not trying.
I asked the Holden fleet manager how business was, he said tough, we cant give holdens away at the moment.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 27-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #86
superyob
Banned

Quote:
again with the Chevrolet badges.... man.
Do mustang bits on a cheap compact sedan amuse you? that's basically what the GT and phase 3 were.
Putting Chevrolet badges on a Commodore really is silly. They bear no relation to each other except for a common engine on the odd occasion. Imagine the sniggers if Mercury badges were put on Falcons...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #87
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This will win them over.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #88
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Just restyle it.... go back to the old version.
Or have GMH on a blue and white badge....
I wouldn't be surprised if the Holden moniker disappears altogether after 2018 for another GM name replaces it. They've already tried to re-introduce the Vaxhaull name plate without too much success. Then there was the case recently of visiting GM execs that were taking photo's of Commodores with different GM brand badges and showing management in Detroit in an attempt to dilute the Holden name. Someone over there must be must be thinking seriously about it.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #89
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post

This will win them over.
PMSL! Thats awesome
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #90
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's a pretty stupid thing to say. Why tarnish the entire brand because of a handful of bogans? There are bogans in Fords too, do we get rid of the Ford badge as well?
But ford bogans are the good ones apparently.