Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #61
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what do you do if going though an intersection no pick up and a car coming though the intersection does not see you stop or try to get out off the wayy with no pickup you are going to be in trouble.

Yes you have to do it safely but you also need to know you have the power there to get you out of trouble if needed.
The mercs have enough but the smaller but still as heavy commodores and the falcons when they used them dont.
The f trucks although big are the best for this type of work they also can carry two patients in comfort aswell as all the gear needed to do the job

Ian
Old 30-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #62
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE
what do you do if going though an intersection no pick up and a car coming though the intersection does not see you stop or try to get out off the wayy with no pickup you are going to be in trouble.

Yes you have to do it safely but you also need to know you have the power there to get you out of trouble if needed.
The mercs have enough but the smaller but still as heavy commodores and the falcons when they used them dont.
The f trucks although big are the best for this type of work they also can carry two patients in comfort aswell as all the gear needed to do the job

Ian
Generally I am crawling at about 5kph through the intersection, myself and my partner making sure 100% that everyone is stopped, if I have an accident whilst running a red or a stop sign it is MY fault regardless, so drivers should be making sure everything is 100% clear before proceeding. There have often been times I have had to stop because of morons, and they annoy the crap out of me, but at the end of the day I might have lost 2 seconds but I have not had to floor it because I find they are suddenly coming at me. Any commodore or falcon will accel at the same rate as a loaded sprinter. Everything is about safety and your surroundings, not speed or power. First thing taught when we were doing our training to be able to drive priority ones. You should never as a good driver be in an emergency situation yourself. At the end of the day everyone has a different driving style. Mine is steady and safe as with most paramedics I work with, but we do have 1 or 2 that think as fast as you can is the best way and I can tell you now being with them is scary.

Last edited by Puffin Fresh; 30-12-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 30-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #63
Bobman
Regulator

Ambulance Victoria had an issue with the Mercedes Sprinters (316 model) that would not gear down/up properly at intersections and it was highly publicised that lives were at risk (including the paramedics).

I've also heard that the first of the newer (current shape) 315 models a few years ago were under-powered, but they might have chosen a better engine in that model now.

Back in the 1990s, I remember issues with roll-overs with the F250s that were eventually replaced by GMCs and today the few F350s that were built from about 7 years ago that have the same rear body as the GMCs had (by Mader) did have economy & weight issues but I reckon they looked fantastic.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 30-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #64
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well the commodore fully loaded here dont they are slugs.you guys must have great normal drivers over there they never see an ambo here.

It is all about safty yes but surly an ambo should not have to put there life in the hands of all the other road users.

I understand what you say about being your fault if you are it going though a red light but that is just not right and the goverments need to stand up for all ambos out there pay them better and give them better conditions and eqiupment and also make normal drivers responsible for there actions.

Ian
Old 30-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #65
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the sprinters are easier to roll than an f350 it has happened here.

They are also dangerous in high winds where we live that is a real problem.

Ian
Old 30-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #66
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
well the commodore fully loaded here dont they are slugs.you guys must have great normal drivers over there they never see an ambo here.

It is all about safty yes but surly an ambo should not have to put there life in the hands of all the other road users.

I understand what you say about being your fault if you are it going though a red light but that is just not right and the goverments need to stand up for all ambos out there pay them better and give them better conditions and eqiupment and also make normal drivers responsible for there actions.

Ian
We can report drivers who fail to give way to the cops, but most of the time it is easier to just shrug them off. I have an almost photographic memory for numberplates and cars and the one time I did report, is because I knew the idiot had not given way to me on a previous priority 1.
Old 30-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #67
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
the sprinters are easier to roll than an f350 it has happened here.

They are also dangerous in high winds where we live that is a real problem.

Ian

I can't comment on that as I have never driven one fast enough around a corner to feel it begin to roll.
Old 30-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #68
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that sucks my partner had one push her off the road she reported it to the police all that said was do you have an independant wittness as this is the only way theyy could anything.

The goverments need to give police more powers.

Whats the pay like over there
Old 30-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #69
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
that sucks my partner had one push her off the road she reported it to the police all that said was do you have an independant wittness as this is the only way theyy could anything.

The goverments need to give police more powers.

Whats the pay like over there
Not sure mate I am a volunteer. So my pay is $20 every shift I do lol. I think the paramedics after allowances are on about 70k. Then where we are if they are called on a backup they get about $200 for the one job.
Old 30-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #70
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to earn 70 grand here they need to do every overtime and everyextra job they can.

some stations here are you work for 12 hours than go home this is the big city ones in the country ones you are on duty 24 hours aday on a rotating roster 6days on 2 off 6 on two off 6 on 4 off and than 4 on 5 off so alot of hours needed to be done to earn any money.
Old 30-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #71
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I can't really comment as I am in W.A. The guys I work with are on a 4 on 4 off roster of 2 x 10hr days and 2 x 14hr nights. Then the guy on days is backup at night and vice versa. I live in a town with 50-60,000 people, so we have 3 vans and 5 paramedics (although 1 is station leader and usually covers peoples leave etc) We work 1 Paramedic 1 vollie crew day and night, although they are bringing a few more paramdeics down so we can have 2 crews (same combination) on during the day.
Old 30-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #72
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was considering becoming a paramedic. I was waiting around to be old enough to go for it, but I was strapped for cash since my casual job wasn't good enough.
Looking for a better temporary job I found my current 'job', I was only going to do it for a few years while waiting to try out for paramedic, but I turned my job into a career and now I don't want to leave it to become a paramedic because that means I will be taking a substantial pay cut.

To be honest my current career has stupid hours of work like a paramedic, but I get paid a fair bit more for it to compensate, and it sooo much easier!

Maybe one day if I get bored of my current career I may consider being a paramedic.
Old 30-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #73
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I thought we were talking about the rapid response vehicles here, arent they usually manned by senior paramedics or doctors?
Old 30-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #74
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
I thought we were talking about the rapid response vehicles here, arent they usually manned by senior paramedics or doctors?
In W.A they are used by team leaders and it is not often they turn up to a job unless it is really serious and they are nearby.
Old 31-12-2010, 12:10 AM   #75
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Then with all due respect, as a volunteer, would it be safe to say that you wouldnt actually man one of these vehicles?
Old 31-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #76
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Then with all due respect, as a volunteer, would it be safe to say that you wouldnt actually man one of these vehicles?
You are correct, but the conversation turned to the cars being a safety hazard so I believe that entitled me to explain that it is not about power but about safe driving, and just because I do not man one of the vehicles does not mean I don't know how they are used operationally.
Old 31-12-2010, 02:06 AM   #77
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin Fresh
You are correct, but the conversation turned to the cars being a safety hazard so I believe that entitled me to explain that it is not about power but about safe driving, and just because I do not man one of the vehicles does not mean I don't know how they are used operationally.
Excuse me if im wrong, but the thread started off about underpowered CARS being a hazard when used for rapid response.
Obviously a large VAN etc. would need to be handled differently, but the OP was making comment on how once through the intersection etc. at 5km/hr(safety first) how poorly the CAR responded to the loud peddle.
Old 31-12-2010, 02:07 AM   #78
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

It is genuinely interesting to hear from those in the business, from the outside looking in I can only make observations.

It seems to me though, that a little extra power in these 'Rapid Response" wagons would not go astray. An Ambulance vehicle capable of 10 second quarters is obviously just silly, but for the slight benefit a more powerful vehicle may have, surely it's worth the fraction of a % increase in the vehicle purchase cost, considering it's intended purpose.

That's just the way it seams to me. Blasting through a red light at 60km/h is not really a good idea, but a V8 would not support this. My point was that surely you would want to accelerate reasonably quickly once you have cleared the intersection. A notoriously underpowered V6, weighted down with all the necessary medical equipment just doesn't seem like a logical choice to me.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 31-12-2010, 06:55 AM   #79
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i agree 100 %
Old 31-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #80
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Yes closed its not worth the drama being displayed towards one and other.

I would have thought carrying all that weight would be the acceleration problem with a 6 cyl.
The old saying, Weight will stop a train..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Closed Thread