Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #61
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: ED XR6 vs ED XR8

I cant beleave this is still going...

In this race, no one wins...you are both loosers.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #62
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Tickford didn't touch the V8 till the AU T series..
Sure there was some minor parts like badges etc..
The AU engine was basically a truck engine ..
So is the 5.4 Boss engine for that matter...
yep the same V8 (5L windsor) was also used in the explorers and mustangs as well. the best version of this V8 was in the AU. the extra kw with the XR6 VCT and GHIA was to do with the exhaust. it was only four kilowatts difference. but it all adds up little stuff like that. exhaust and extractors will help keep the V8 up with the XR6. there isnt all that much difference power to weigh ratio between them. if it was a base model ED Gli running an XR6 motor or V8 then i'd be concerned. i think the XR8 would be faster as the speed gets higher due too the extra torque. pretty sure the stock ED XR8 was faster down the quater mile then the ED XR6 too not buy much thou
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #63
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just for the record I put a 3:45 xr6 diff in my old eb xr8 and it made hardly any difference at all. Only difference I noticed was better response in 3rd gear overtaking.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #64
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
In this race, no one wins...you are both loosers.
what are we loosening?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #65
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8
Just for the record I put a 3:45 xr6 diff in my old eb xr8 and it made hardly any difference at all. Only difference I noticed was better response in 3rd gear overtaking.
Exactly. And you'd probably be at least the 4th or 5th person i've heard say that who has gone from a 3.23 to a 3.45. The difference is ratio is so tiny as to not really achieve much.

And as for HulkBA claiming its good for at least a second quicker to 100, you'd expect those sort of quality posts from him
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #66
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
what are we loosening?
Brain cells. You've already lost the ability to spell "losing"
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #67
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Brain cells. You've already lost the ability to spell "losing"
no, he was having a dig at nikked for his spelling
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #68
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Exactly. And you'd probably be at least the 4th or 5th person i've heard say that who has gone from a 3.23 to a 3.45. The difference is ratio is so tiny as to not really achieve much.

And as for HulkBA claiming its good for at least a second quicker to 100, you'd expect those sort of quality posts from him
Have you actully driven same car that has had a 3.45 gears upgrade from a 3.23? Ive driven 3 pre and post upgrade. Made more of a difference that a full exhaust on these cars. Talking from experience not heresay like some.

As for the 0-100 times. Ask youself how does a ef-el xr6 do the 0-100 sprint 1 second quicker than a gli with its 7kw more. Maybe 4-5kw at the wheels more? Extraordinary performance for such small power gains. ITS THE 3.45 RATIO DOING MOST OF IT!!

Also ask yourself about the 4 or 5 people you heard did it. Why would they all do it if they all say it does nothing?
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #69
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Have you actully driven same car that has had a 3.45 gears upgrade from a 3.23? Ive driven 3 pre and post upgrade.
Rowing the gearbox more often can be deceiving.

Quote:
As for the 0-100 times. Ask youself how does a ef-el xr6 do the 0-100 sprint 1 second quicker than a gli with its 7kw more.
But it doesnt - I know this from personal experience. A few tenths. Nowhere near a second.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #70
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Have you actully driven same car that has had a 3.45 gears upgrade from a 3.23? Ive driven 3 pre and post upgrade. Made more of a difference that a full exhaust on these cars. Talking from experience not heresay like some.

As for the 0-100 times. Ask youself how does a ef-el xr6 do the 0-100 sprint 1 second quicker than a gli with its 7kw more. Maybe 4-5kw at the wheels more? Extraordinary performance for such small power gains. ITS THE 3.45 RATIO DOING MOST OF IT!!

Also ask yourself about the 4 or 5 people you heard did it. Why would they all do it if they all say it does nothing?
I've driven a lot of cars with either 3.23's, 3.45's or 3.7's, and the difference between 3.23 and 3.45 is 2 fifths of bugger all.

There's more to quicker times than a bit more power and torque, quicker shifting in the Tickford autos, wider tyres, rev up quicker, more aggresive tunes.

And the power and torque figures were quoted numbers, its pretty obvious Ford wanted to keep the XR6 power figures under the V8's, is the 1kw difference between XR6 and XR8 just a coincidence.

Its pretty clear they keep the figure just below the V8's so not to cost more profitable V8 sales.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post