Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #61
Spurious

Default Re: What's your "one that got away" car?

2 cars. I once got a yellow mitsubishi lancer 2 door with the stripes, mid 80's mod i think. They're pretty rare nowadays & just didn't know anything about them. 2nd was a chrysler centura with a 245 hemi. Swapped it for a valiant ranger sedan after the donk blew up. Same thing...just didn't know what i had.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #62
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the local crash repairer had a GT350 replica with a reconditioned warm 302, the body was to die for, the paint job was to die for, the price was to die for......$13,500

dad said no......
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #63
XW-BAXR6T

In 1985 bought a 1972 Charger VH 770 for $1,900 with a really worked up 265 hemi, had bathurst cam & lifters also the 265 was bored .40 tho as i later found out when i changed a head gasket on it, it had a 350 holly carby 2 inch genie extractors rest of the running gear was factory stock such as transmission & diff but with a good stiff suspension which was a dream on the roads & damn fast, done over 120 mph plus easy on first night I bought it as I tested it along ferntreegully road near oakleigh lol. I highly dont recommend those speeds, i was a naive kid back then & silly.

Was dark yellow but not orange “cant recall the name of colour now” It had power steering & air con from factory, not many of those. Was the best car ive ever owned, I mistreated it so badly with doing donuts & dragging that the suspension had wrecked badly :S Gave it to the wreckers.....To this very day im regretting it for the mistreatment. Big mistake should have kept it & not mistreated it or simply should have fixed it. Cant find another car that fits my style & is so comfortable like that charger was. :(

Last edited by XW-BAXR6T; 19-06-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: spell check
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #64
XW-BAXR6T

Also in 1993 I believe it was, saw this white XY falcon sedan in a car yard in immaculate condition with a label on wind screen “as traded” for $2,500 it had NSW plates on it.

Only thing I could see wrong with it from a quick glance was a tiny dent on bottom of front left passenger door no rust nothing can be seen & paint was excellent, interior was excellent condition with no rips or fading nothing & was black.

I was driving dads car at the time & dad was with me, looked at him & said im interested buying it as a daily car while I restore the family pride our XW Fairmont. He said to me you can have it only if you sell the Fairmont XW we cant have two ;(

I didnt have my own garage at the time dad does...If only I did, story would be different.And for that price for that condition im kicking my self!~
Old 25-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #65
XW-BAXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by XW-BAXR6T View Post
In 1985 bought a 1972 Charger VH 770 for $1,900 with a really worked up 265 hemi, had bathurst cam & lifters also the 265 was bored .40 tho as i later found out when i changed a head gasket on it, it had a 350 holly carby 2 inch genie extractors rest of the running gear was factory stock such as transmission & diff but with a good stiff suspension which was a dream on the roads & damn fast, done over 120 mph plus easy on first night I bought it as I tested it along ferntreegully road near oakleigh lol. I highly dont recommend those speeds, i was a naive kid back then & silly.

Was dark yellow but not orange “cant recall the name of colour now” It had power steering & air con from factory, not many of those. Was the best car ive ever owned, I mistreated it so badly with doing donuts & dragging that the suspension had wrecked badly :S Gave it to the wreckers.....To this very day im regretting it for the mistreatment. Big mistake should have kept it & not mistreated it or simply should have fixed it. Cant find another car that fits my style & is so comfortable like that charger was. :(

I saw one exactly like it just now on gumtree, only difference is the mags were different "still have the 10 inch rear & front mags at dads garage before i rid it" also mine was an auto. Damn this add in gumtree made me miss the old girl so terribly

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bunda...45402?mpch=ads

Couldn't help it.Memories flooding in, im so sad right now ;(

Nick.
Old 25-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #66
Chrisxr6t

I had a xb gs coupe with 32000 original miles 302 with a c4 auto, it was an aqua colour with a beige border along the bottom, I bought it for 5000 and sold it for 6000 way back, man I. Is that car and would have been worth a tidy sum today
Chrisxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #67
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Had the option to buy a 1965 Prince skyline GT...
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #68
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

XP two door Futura, fully loaded, in original condition and the colour combination I wanted. Saw it in late 1990s. Was a tired, rusty car but would have been perfect for restoration. Guy wanted $6K for it which I thought at the time was too much for a 30+ year old rust bucket.
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #69
XR27
Tickford XR8
Donating Member1

My story is when I was 18 I had a xb 302 in red pepper, then a guy 2 years older than me in our small country town brought a red pepper xa gt sadan. I thought wow one day I would love that car.
A few years pasted and the gt disappeared, I ran into the owner and asked what happened to it, he said it was pulled apart in his shed. For the low price of $1800 he said he would let it go. I was out of work and going to go to uni in a few months but couldn't let it go so I went halfs with a mate.
The car sat there and we ended up selling it to a local guy. For 8 year I regretted Selling it, one day i went back to my old town to find it sitting in a padock, so I snapped it up for the same price we sold it for.
Day I picked it up

Got it home and was happy as!!!
Spent the next two year collecting bits for it,
all giong to plan, then I got sick and couldn't work much for 2 years, so the gt had to go.
Still Regret it still 12 years on!!!!
XR27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #70
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

In 1987 I was in the box seat to grab XC Cobra #009 for $5,200. Couldn't raise the cash and was too chickens@@t to push harder for it. Came up again 6 months later and my situation hadn't changed.

In 1991 I had a Falcon 500 XB Sedan, factory 351 4spd. October 1973 build. Yep, one of the first ones. Was registered on the date the XB was released. Rego # LRM 773. A lot of pre release XB's had that series of rego plates. Car was a bit hit up and rust was getting in. Pretty minor by today's standards but at the time deemed not worth fixing. I parted it out!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #71
XR27
Tickford XR8
Donating Member1

In 2001 a mates had a XC gxl 351 for sale in the trading post for $2500, couldn't sell it, I was interested, but his brother got sick of it sitting around and sold it to th harcourt wreckers for $800:(
XR27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #72
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

BF GTP in Octane with 60,000km for 24k...
Old 26-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #73
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

1968 Mustang GT 390 4spd fastback

$11k

Driving 100km to work and back each day I couldn't justify a car that returned 11mpg.

Also here:http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...14#post4856614

I also bought an XY GS wagon with 19000 miles on it in 1998, sold 2004 with 41,000 miles on it : http://australianmusclecarsales.com....fairmont-wagon
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #74
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where do I start...
My first car was a regular EF Fairmont in Bordeaux, even had the higher rear suspension for towing. Handled like a proper EF, nice and floaty, kinda nervous. I miss that car like hell, traded it in on

My second car, a blue 75th Anniverssary Fairmont Ghia, again stock as a rock but it never let me down and took me everywhere. Comfortable, smooth and for mine, a good looker. Almost traded it in on a

BA II Fairlane G220, GT-P rims, Redline leather, sunroof, my dream car at the time. Waited a day too long. But back to the Ghia, traded that on my

BF II XR6 which I still have and will never part with.

If I came across my first two cars I' d buy them back in a heartbeat...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #75
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Australia: I bought a VT Berlina Gen 3, but the same guy was selling a Patrol 4.2 turbo diesel, manual for the same price. Always regretted not saying "give me the Patrol instead." In America, two Duramax diesels. One was in perfect condition and felt tight, but I didn't like the 8 foot bed at the time. I need an 8 foot bed so I can tow and carry my ATV at the same time without removing the tailgate. The truck is worth more now than it was when I looked at it in 2010. The dealer was willing to sell it to me for $20k. One owner, 70,000 miles on it. I could sell it for $23-25 now. People wonder why I only want 4x4s now.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #76
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I knew a guy who had XM/XP Falcons. He had restored one, painted it in blackboard paint. Wanted $1500 for a coupe. Didn't have $1500.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #77
chrisvess
Starter Motor

http://www.manheim.com.au/dv/item/it...00000003640281
Found my old pride and joys the other day when trying to track it down was mint when I traded it had a full respray brand new rims converted it to 5 speed and a lot lower only traded it to to get an 8 as I got open licence
chrisvess is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #78
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in I think the 90's a bloke on the newsgroups offered to sell me his Landau (registered and driving) for $2,000. I said it was too hard to get from Brisbane :(

When the GFC hit, I sold my BF Cobra so we could keep the house and keep my wife happy. Should have sold my wife.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #79
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably already been said, but gee, I'm sort of lamenting not having a crack at the GT R-Spec. Many reviews stated it had the wheels, tyres and suspension that the GT always should have had. At the time I thought "Nah, this will filter down into the mainstram FPV models. No rush".

Then we were all slapped in the face with the economic reality-trout. The most competent FPV GT ever. Forever. Come & gone in the blink of an eye.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #80
tickford98
Starter Motor

Original XW GS Falcon 500
- Diamond White
- Top Loader
- 2V Head
Bought it for $600 in mint condition in 84. It was the car of my dreams. Moved to Sydney 4 years later. Car still in mint condition. Pulled up outside my house one arvo and a couple of young guys stopped to chat about the car. Seemed innocent enough to me. Two nights later my XW was stolen. I am still convinced 25 years on that it was the young guys. Thinking about it still makes me cross and sad at same time.
tickford98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #81
nitro50th

Geez...where do i start.

My first car was an XD 351 in immaculate condition when i sold it...should have kept it.

Was offered a XC GS with mild 302, top loader and 9 inch...still remember how it sounded...knocked it back.

Could have bought an XW ute with 302 in perfect condition at a car yard..but a ute was impractical at the time...

Took an XE ESP for a test drive (my dream car), 302 but a bit rough..could sell the interior now for what it was selling for at the time.

Was close to buying a one owner XD 351 fairmont ghia in beautifil condition but was saving for a house and let it go.

Any of these would be awesome to own now...

Steven.
05 BF XR6
10 FG XR50

Present:
81 XD Falcon 351.
nitro50th is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #82
rab

1995 sti ver2 with Roof scoop, dccd, the real deal, proper homologated rally spec.
Had it stickers up with colin mcraes colours and decals that were used on the telecom australia rally.
I sold it 3mths before coming out it OZ (needed funds) and I sold it to his cousin(couldn't make this **** up) and shortly after that, he died in his helicopter along with his son and friend.

Wanted to bring it with me but didnt have two brass washers to rub together hence the sale.....bastard ! :(
rab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post