Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #661
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
I heard people who dont have solar power are subsiding those that do is this correct?
up to a point yes, thats true and also merely one of the excuses that were used to over inflate power prices.....if we didnt have solar you would still be paying those prices.....thats what privatising a public utility does....only one reason a company buys a utility or any other infrastructure.....to make money

another pathetic excuse was that "infrastructure" needs major repairs.....none done yet......an inquiry into power prices has been proposed many times but none have eventuated

we are paying the highest power prices of any developed nation with no real reason behind it

we have sold ALL our infrastructure to overseas conglomerates and that is why we are paying exorbitant prices.....we own NOTHING now..

taxpayers are the only source of income now.....so roads and motorists are the new cash cow and rates and taxes the new income stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
surely a large array is far more efficient (either in terms of generation, or in terms of expense and extent of install) than individual systems?
yes it is and when it is in place I would be the first one to join up with it PROVIDED they pass the savings on to us and not try to make a great swag of money out of us overnight like what is happening now with the wind turbines

individual power generation is the way for me just now.......I'm generating enough power for myself plus another household with similar power requirements

I dont know what the future holds but I can see the "blue gen" being a big part of it, prices will have to fall astronomically but I truly think it has a future

the trouble with that system is that it still utilises a "commodity" (natural gas) which can be bought and sold......anything with that description is open to extortive opportunities, as with the power now, and will become so expensive that we cant afford that either

the world has become a greedy place, very hard to live in

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #662
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My panels went on the roof wednesday and yesterday we produced 17kwh; not to bad considering the weather and the fact that I hav'nt finished tree trimming yet. The new meter is still a couple of weeks away.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11361067
GTB 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #663
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah!.....I see your avi thingy says country S.A........much the same area as I

we've had some pretty ordinary weather in the last two weeks but now we have bright sunshine

my power generation has skyrocketed as well....as much as a low winter sun will allow anyway

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #664
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

I've just signed up to have a 4KW system installed before the end of the month. Ended up the same specs as a friends installation in town here that I know works well, and they're extremely happy with. 21x Conergy PH 190W panels & an SMA 4000TL Sunny Boy Inverter. It'll be good to see the results.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #665
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

We have had our 3kw system installed for just on 12 months now. In that time we have generated just over 5000kwh to return just over $3k. How does that match up to other 3kw systems?
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #666
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
We have had our 3kw system installed for just on 12 months now. In that time we have generated just over 5000kwh to return just over $3k. How does that match up to other 3kw systems?

thats an average of around 13.69 kilowatts per day......seems to be around the mark

ours is down a bit just now, sun low, cloud...... barely covering our usage!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #667
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

We are happy with it considering our aspect is not ideal.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #668
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as you should be.....$3,000......what would your average power bill be .....I'd guess around $1,450 per year????

$1,500 profit is not bad!......gotta be happy with that!

Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #669
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Nah our bills are higher than that.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #670
Baby_phantom

Getting our 3.5 kw system installed next week, dad was just preparing the roof- clean with high pressure water hose.
* Front and Rear slotted RDA Rotars*
* Plazmaman cold air intake with 3" intake pipe*

For Show

* Red painted calipers*
* LED white interior Lighting*
* White H4, H7, H3 and T5- Blue key hole light*
* BF front bumper with grill and xr6 badge*
* Removed rear falcon badge*

For Sound

* Sony Headunit*
* Alpine type R 12"*
* Kicker 6" speakers front and back *
* Alpine monoblock*
* Alpine 4 channel *
Baby_phantom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #671
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

well my 3kw system will be fitted on the 18th i have been told now ..YAY
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #672
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hopefully the end of large power bills ahead for both of you.....prices rising in S.A. at the end of the month I believe

god knows when it's going to stop

Old 13-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #673
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Interesting, we're just about to order up a 5kW installation but were going to upsize the inverter for expansion room (21 panels going in but physical space for up to 38). Is there a efficiency degradation as the difference between panel capacity and inverter capacity widens?
mmm depends on the inverter and panel combination. If you still want to have an expandable inverter but want to lessen the inefficiency, when getting quotes ask for the technical specs sheet of each product. For panels, try to find a panel with a higher Pmax Voltage (Voltage of the panel at maximum power). On the inverter,, try to find an inverter with a lower MOV (Minimum Operating Voltage). I will tell you though, panels with a higher voltage and inverters with a lower MOV are the premium products, certainly top shelf stuff but I guess that's why it's top shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Ghia
I don't agree with the current solar push. I would prefer that solar be constructed on a community basis and use the existing grid. To me it's the same as everyone getting a small coal fired generator in their garage and producing their own power from that. I reckon history will show it as a waste of resources.
A lot of community incentives happen all the time. Currently we just won a Tender for the entire western suburbs of Melbourne which is a flyer sent out with rates notice, and me and some other project managers at work put together a bulk buy deal, so that people who are part of the Maribyrnong Community or Brimbank community get a discount if they enquire through the council. Typically on a lot of these council bulk buy deals, when they reach a target they have a system installed of 50kW or larger because we are able to make bulk purchases from wholesalers to bring the price significantly lower.

As for the efficiency of systems, it actually works the other way i.e. everyone having their own mini power station on their roofs is more efficient than a singular large scale power station. The reason is that the longer distance electricity has to travel, then the larger loss there is. In fact, some power which supplies Melbourne city from Hazelwood power station, less than 40% of what is generated in Gippsland is actually what reaches Melbourne city; the rest is just lost in the cables... not very efficient at all!

Also thank you everyone for your experiences with solar, it also really helps me with my customers. I had no idea how excited everyone is when they have an installation date for their system! Since I read that I've been telling every customer of mine an install date the same day they sign up, and they have all been over the moon

On a side note I've asked the admin team if I can put together a group buy deal here in Melbourne for Solar PV (And solar hot water, may as well do that as well), and sorry I haven't got any close up pics yet I've beem out on the road all day every day with customers... I'm back in the office tomorrow afternoon so I'll make time for some images for everyone too
Old 13-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #674
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Interesting, we're just about to order up a 5kW installation but were going to upsize the inverter for expansion room (21 panels going in but physical space for up to 38). Is there a efficiency degradation as the difference between panel capacity and inverter capacity widens?
mmm depends on the inverter and panel combination. If you still want to have an expandable inverter but want to lessen the inefficiency, when getting quotes ask for the technical specs sheet of each product. For panels, try to find a panel with a higher Pmax Voltage (Voltage of the panel at maximum power). On the inverter,, try to find an inverter with a lower MOV (Minimum Operating Voltage). I will tell you though, panels with a higher voltage and inverters with a lower MOV are the premium products, certainly top shelf stuff but I guess that's why it's top shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Ghia
I don't agree with the current solar push. I would prefer that solar be constructed on a community basis and use the existing grid. To me it's the same as everyone getting a small coal fired generator in their garage and producing their own power from that. I reckon history will show it as a waste of resources.
A lot of community incentives happen all the time. Currently we just won a Tender for the entire western suburbs of Melbourne which is a flyer sent out with rates notice, and me and some other project managers at work put together a bulk buy deal, so that people who are part of the Maribyrnong Community or Brimbank community get a discount if they enquire through the council. Typically on a lot of these council bulk buy deals, when they reach a target they have a system installed of 50kW or larger because we are able to make bulk purchases from wholesalers to bring the price significantly lower.

As for the efficiency of systems, it actually works the other way i.e. everyone having their own mini power station on their roofs is more efficient than a singular large scale power station. The reason is that the longer distance electricity has to travel, then the larger loss there is. In fact, some power which supplies Melbourne city from Hazelwood power station, less than 40% of what is generated in Gippsland is actually what reaches Melbourne city; the rest is just lost in the cables... not very efficient at all!

Also thank you everyone for your experiences with solar, it also really helps me with my customers. I had no idea how excited everyone is when they have an installation date for their system! Since I read that I've been telling every customer of mine an install date the same day they sign up, and they have all been over the moon

On a side note I've asked the admin team if I can put together a group buy deal here in Melbourne for Solar PV (And solar hot water, may as well do that as well), and sorry I haven't got any close up pics yet I've beem out on the road all day every day with customers... I'm back in the office tomorrow afternoon so I'll make time for some images for everyone too
Old 13-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #675
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg
In fact, some power which supplies Melbourne city from Hazelwood power station, less than 40% of what is generated in Gippsland is actually what reaches Melbourne city; the rest is just lost in the cables... not very efficient at all!
That fact (e.g. 40%) seems somewhat different from those quoted by the Australian Energy Market Operator

http://www.aemo.com.au/en/Electricit...nal-Boundaries

And, depending on the inverter, the system size, and the cell size, and the amount being generated; the efficiency may range from 50% to 96%.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #676
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going to sign up for a 1.5kW system today with Adelaide Solar Safe.
$2200. Here's hoping they get time to install it prior to 30 June!
Old 14-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #677
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
insist on it they want your money
Old 14-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #678
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey

lets hope they can squeeze you in.....all installers are flat out around here

Old 14-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #679
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should know some more later today hopefully. Should be getting the contracts through at some stage and he's hoping to squeeze us in at some stage before 30 June. Fingers crossed!

Also, does the 16c feed in tariff end in 2016? If so, is there any news on if there will be a tariff after that?
Old 14-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #680
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all up in the air I'm afraid.......could end anytime the guvment decides

Old 15-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #681
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well got my system installed yesterday, the guys rocked up at 2pm and finished at 5:30-6pm when it was dark already.
Did a decent job, because they were pushed for time old mate trimming tiles for tile brackets seemed to be rushing, im concerned that some of my roof tiles are not sitting flush and will allow water entry however. Will look at that further.

Unfortunately my solar shop liquidation stock sma inverter that i picked up from a private buyer was missing its ESS connector, so system is dormant for now. I rang SMA Australia and they verified the serial nnumber and said theyu wopuld send one out to me for nix. So providing that all goes to plan in the next couple of days or so, i should be up and running in preperation for energex to grid tie.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #682
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

check the system install over with a fine tooth comb......a rushed job MAY mean a bodgy job

check for loose/cracked/leaking tiles

look at the wiring, is it all off the roof and secured from rubbing

is the wiring sealed at entry points in the roof

you only have this one shot to check the workmanship or it is very hard to get them back

Old 15-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #683
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

first week of production made 104 kwh exported 58 kwh weather a real mix of sunny days overcast days and a mix of the 2 gotta be happy with that should decrease the bill by about $100 as they are due to read it at the end of the month looks like i got it right and boy is that a relief as the money could have bought me a coupe project lol
Old 15-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #684
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done.....puts a smile on the dial when we get the maths right

having trouble with Lumo at the moment....read the meter a month ago but the buggers wont give me my account to see how far in front I am

rang twice and used the "instant talk" function

no big deal but I like the "brag factor" of the credit

Old 15-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #685
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
check the system install over with a fine tooth comb......a rushed job MAY mean a bodgy job

check for loose/cracked/leaking tiles

look at the wiring, is it all off the roof and secured from rubbing

is the wiring sealed at entry points in the roof

you only have this one shot to check the workmanship or it is very hard to get them back
Yep going to go over it with my electrician buddy this weekend.

Ironically had a phone call from a previous prospective retailer today. He was just about to get my deposit, all he needed to do was come around on the day he said he would. He didn't but said would come on the day i flew back to work. I warned him i would be gone by 3pm that day. He never showed.

So he rings this morning asking for a deposit and saying im booked for install next week. Told him he missed his chance, he said he came around that afternoon but i wasnt home (duh what did i say), and he called me 5 times (nope). I said already got same system installed, he hung up...

So my recomendation is to AVOID Michael Mrowka and Renewable Energy Advisors out of Thornlands. He was working for Beyond Building Group last year as well. Just seemed dodgy to me and obviously is a bull **** artist.
Old 15-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #686
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lot of cowboys out there but they are slowly disappearing

all I can advise is to do your homework and check other jobs and recommendations

can be a minefield.........the age old saying comes into play here....."buyer be ware"

Old 16-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #687
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Does anyone have any idea what aluminium solar panel mounting rails and XLPO cables are worth. I have a pile with more than 50 rails and about 13 cables that I want to sell.

Old 16-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #688
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

scrap value would be my guess........not many put up their own solar array

have a yak with a couple of installers, maybe they will buy it off you

Old 18-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #689
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alright, up and running now, got my missing ESS in the mail this morning, whacked it on and started running at 2500-2800 kw for the middle of the day, about 70-75%efficiency for my 3800kw (4000kw peak) system.
Brisbane, winter full sun. About right?
Awaiting energex to tie me in and start making some capital gains...
Old 18-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #690
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good news.....production sounds reasonable.....when energex places you "online" will this cover your power consumption