Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKITZD
Well I might as well join up here, hopefully I can get a little bit of support I need.

Long story short, I have always (a few years back) been a really fit and healthy girl. Height: 175.5cms and a size 14 (no chance ever of being smaller then a 14, just not built that way). Anyway I was always working out and very happy.

Then I married an ********. Unfortunately my choice wasn't very good in my partner and we ended up living in the bush near his family only. I had no one around and was subject to being bossed around, screamed at, have things thrown at me, pushed around, shoved into things and emotionally abused. I put up with that for 3 years until last Oct 09.

Anyway, because of all the abuse I really lost my self esteem, I comfort ate and now I absolutely hate who I am. Because Im not the fit person I used to be.

I understand all about excersizes and eating habits (studied it all for years).

My biggest problem is no motivation (even when I start losing the weight I gained, I lose motivation and it all comes back) and a serious lack of self esteem (to the point where I really hate myself). When someone tells you constant bullying about how you look etc, after a while you believe it.

So does anyone have tips on raising your self esteem? Or getting motivated?

P.s sorry for the skyscraper thread
Oh its not easyto get yourself back on track, my weights been up and down for 3 years now, i decided enough was enough and started losing it in 2007, dropped 20 kgs until last year when i got super busy and stressed (working 7 days a week) coz i had so much work on.. Put 7 kgs back on!! Now im starting the process again.. The way i look at it if i want to truely be happy i need to be a healthy weight, there are so many things that can go wrong for you when your overweight health wise, with diabeties, loss of sight etc. Then theres trying to find a special someone in your life, if your not happy wiht yourself then how can they be!!

I am starting back at the gym this week and back taking reductile a weight loss drug, i have used it in the past with good results, my biggest let down is food, something i really need to focus on!

Do you have a friend or someone you can train with?? Having someone to push you along is always helpful.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKITZD

My biggest problem is no motivation (even when I start losing the weight I gained, I lose motivation and it all comes back) and a serious lack of self esteem (to the point where I really hate myself). When someone tells you constant bullying about how you look etc, after a while you believe it.

So does anyone have tips on raising your self esteem? Or getting motivated?
1) forget all the crap that was said to / about you. Without ever meeting you, I am sure you are a great person who deserves to be happy.

2) baby steps. Don't worry about the big picture of getting back to a fitness level you desire, just focus on getting a routine going and ease yourself into it.

You'll find its a snowball effect and you'll get back into it quicker than you expect and you'll gain that confidence.

I wish you all the best
Old 16-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
I'm back at at the gym after 10 months of excuses and laziness. So sore! But god it feels good.

Started ketosis 2 weeks ago @ 120kg (193cm tall).

Currently 115kg

Aim: 105kg.

The trick? Keeping it off all year is what I am after. I would like to stay stable at 100-105 this year. 13% body fat would be nice.

Fingers crossed. :
5 kgs in 2 weeks?? whats your secret?
Old 16-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
5 kgs in 2 weeks?? whats your secret?
I'll take a punt....

5kgs in 2 weeks = almost no carbs, the first couple of kg's will have been water weight that will stay lower whilst on low carb eating but the other 3kgs is pure weight loss. On the assumption that he is on high protein aswell, it is almost all fat.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by -XR-
No matter what I do, I can't lose OR gain weight haha.

I eat like a horse and usually fairly heathily (meat and 3 veg for dinner), always have breakfast and a decent lunch.

Stayed at 55kgs for the last 5 years and i'm 176cm tall.

That being said, apparently i retain a fair bit of fluid because some days you can see I have a 6 pack and others its not very visable at all.
I stayed about 58kg from age 17 to 38, with a height of 177. With slight variations, I went up to 63kg after a couple years in the gym 3 times a week and down to 51kg when I got sick while traveling. It might sound skinny to most guys without seeing you but I have very light frame and at 63kg was fairly heavily muscled (more than most people at 80kg).

After I got sick it took me about 6 years to get back from 51kg to 58kg slowly slowly at which point I started getting things go wrong woth me left right and centre. I few years after that after much investigations and blood tests I concluded I was full of parasites, I guess from travling to one too many dodgy places or maybe I just allways did. Unsure: 0. But I took some pretty hardcore drugs to kill the likely bugs and now I weight 64kgs and can gain weight much more easily than before. Sounds a bit gross but the reality is most people are hosts to parasites of one kind or another, that's just part of being a living animal and I think it's a major thing with people that don't/can't gain weight easy and mostly those that are heavy users of B12 like I had become the last few years
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Skitzd

I find that knowing WHY you want to improve yourself physically can help motivate you into action.

i.e. Do it for yourself, Do it to prove a point to yourself that it can be done, Set goals.

One thing that has helped me, is that I wanted to not only do it for myself but also for my family and to improve my quality of life.

I asked myself, am I happy, what is my crux in life, is my life fulfilling? I had to get honest with myself first before I could realistically look at where I wanted to be.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

thats a pretty intense regime. But I like the dramatic effect it has.

I assume this routine is only for a limited time and for massive loss in short time for an event or end goal.

As a lifestyle for continued loss, I, not sure if this would be recommended.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 17-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
thats a pretty intense regime. But I like the dramatic effect it has.

I assume this routine is only for a limited time and for massive loss in short time for an event or end goal.

As a lifestyle for continued loss, I, not sure if this would be recommended.
Correct, 100%. Ketosis does put stress on your body. This is a 6 weeks max kick start... then increase carbs slowly with things like oats for breakfast and a few pieces of fruit here and there.

Once the energy is back, increase the training load by 50% and the losses should keep coming, albeit less dramatically.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

thats basically what Im doing now. I just a more balanced food program and exercise routine that has more gradual, longer lasting gains.

But the routine your doing Trippy is a great way to get started if your serious about weight loss and intend on continuing a healthier lifestyle afterwards.

I could have done it this way, but I know my body would have gone into shock...lol

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 18-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
thats basically what Im doing now. I just a more balanced food program and exercise routine that has more gradual, longer lasting gains.

But the routine your doing Trippy is a great way to get started if your serious about weight loss and intend on continuing a healthier lifestyle afterwards.

I could have done it this way, but I know my body would have gone into shock...lol
Thanks, I will have to get into the long term type of program you're on in 4 weeks.

AC/DC concert tonight and no beer! Now that's commitment

What's your program look like?
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Pretty cruisy, but making progress.

Morning - 2 scrambled eggs on whole meal muffin, coffee, a piece of fruit
Mid Morning - handful of nuts (macadamias, almonds, cashews)
Lunch - 2 small wholemeal rolls with chicken, piece of fruit or small cup of noodles
Mid afternoon - some nuts
Dinner - balance of steamed veggies and small portion of meat

Snacks - on minor occasions, I might eat more nuts or handful of dried sultanas
Drinks consist of water and coffee.

Its not the best diet food, but Im seeing results gradually.

Exercise is 40mins cardio and 15mins light weight work.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 24-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have lost 3 kgs in the last week just by not drinking softdrink (yes im addicted) and not eating carbs. Plus i have been going to the gym most days...

I hope to lose another 3 kg this week.
Old 22-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
Sloth

Towards the end of last year I was a lanky 75kg at 183cm, and had never been able to put anything on. Then in just a matter of months, I got to 100kg and none of my damn clothes would fit me anymore.

I have a pretty average diet, and do next to no exercise, but am wanting to change that.

I don't want to be buff or anything, I really just want to loose the pot and work the upper body a bit. Any pointers for a newbie?
Old 22-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's basic input v output

If you believe your input is low, increase output.

Start cycling, it's easy to do, fun and can get rid of the kilos pretty easily.

Bonus is you'll build good legs.

Apart from that maybe get some free weights? n take small steps.

Key is to make it enjoyable so you don't give it up
Old 23-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #15
nthnbeachesguy
Starter Motor

No one really wants to hear it but diet is the most important part of losing or gaining weight. Input versus output or calories in versus calories burned, all calories are not created equal though. Calories of protein are far more benficial than calories of fat. If your new to it all there are some very basic changes that you can make, breakfast should be your biggest meal, lunch should be up there but dinner should be light and consist of a protein source and some salad or vegies, cut the carbs out at dinner, have your steak and vegies, chicken and salad but forgo the pasta, potatoes and rice. Thats not to say you should pig out on bacon eggs and hash browns every morning though.

It doesn't take much to change those habits, you want to be a little hungry when you go to bed, that way when you wake up you're more likely to want to dig in to a big breakfast, after a week or so it will become fairly natural. If you can add in a 30-40 min walk before breakfast that will help you lose some fat even quicker. Personally I find the scales to be a bit of a waste of time and factor far to heavily for newbies when gauging there success or failure. If you haven't done any exercise for some time and you start a new regime, you will probably find the scales will stay the same or even go up. This does not mean it isn't working.

Muscle weighs more than fat and ppl who have not done any exercise tend to put muscle on pretty at the start of a new program. You will probably put on more muscle weight than you will lose fat for a while. Do yourself a favour and ditch the scales for the first month, buy yourself a tailors measuring tape and mirror instead. Measure your chest, waist at belly button, butt, upper leg, and upper arm before your start. Leave it for 2 weeks and then measure again. Hopefully your waist and butt measurements have gone and depending upon how fat you are and if you have incoporated weights the other measurements may have gone either way. The mirror will help gauge the changes as well.
nthnbeachesguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Upped my calories since the start of the year gradually.

Putting on decent weight now...Although, it's only really going on my stomach/chest, is there a way I can get more weight onto my shoulders, arms and legs?

I guess working out is the only option?

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #17
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661

Putting on decent weight now...Although, it's only really going on my stomach/chest, is there a way I can get more weight onto my shoulders, arms and legs?

Correct!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661

I have three word's for you mate, Bench, Squat and deadlift, forget the fancy machine's, they are a complete waste of time, Rowing machine's will NOT put on size alone.
Lift smart and lift heavy, 3 sets 3 and go for 6 on the last or blow out atleast and once you get that increase the weight to stimulate and for god's sake EAT, and eat good and it will happen with ease,
People focus so much on all the fancy isolation movement's and wonder why they might get toned but never put on size, once you have put on size and you will if you eat right and exercise this way, you will find you have excess weight around your mid section etc, this is where you need to do cardio to reduce this and tone your body, skipping is the best , for me anyway.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I have three word's for you mate, Bench, Squat and deadlift, forget the fancy machine's, they are a complete waste of time, Rowing machine's will NOT put on size alone.
Lift smart and lift heavy, 3 sets 3 and go for 6 on the last or blow out atleast and once you get that increase the weight to stimulate and for god's sake EAT, and eat good and it will happen with ease,
People focus so much on all the fancy isolation movement's and wonder why they might get toned but never put on size, once you have put on size and you will if you eat right and exercise this way, you will find you have excess weight around your mid section etc, this is where you need to do cardio to reduce this and tone your body, skipping is the best , for me anyway.
Great advice.. heavy compound exercises are best for strength and muscle mass gain, eat lots of protein and eat 6 times a day, you can do some isolation exercises for the small muscle groups too, but focus on the big ones like bench press, lat pull downs, cleaning, deadlifts, squats etc..

Old 10-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Great advice.. heavy compound exercises are best for strength and muscle mass gain, eat lots of protein and eat 6 times a day, you can do some isolation exercises for the small muscle groups too, but focus on the big ones like bench press, lat pull downs, cleaning, deadlifts, squats etc..
It is the ONLY way anyone will ever put on size, that's a FACT, we have all been there and done the gym thing and wanted to have pin's like Arnie and walk around showing our gun's, lol... I laugh when I see people spending all their time on isolation exercises and go to the gym 5+ times a week and stand back at the mirror and wonder why they never put on any size, I was like that once... did all the cable/rowing/fancy machines that gym's are flooded with these day's and never got anywhere,
Then I met a mate, he has competed in the National Australian Drug Free Power Lifting titles many time's and has walked away with multiple trophey's and taken the title aswell, boy was it a HUGE eye opener for me, we train 3 times a week at an hr at the most each time, I have learn't a huge amount from him, as in the way to lift and prepare yourself for the lift and most of all not to make it so complicated, get in, lift hard and get out.
Food is a big factor in gaining size, I also in my sad state beforehand used to count calories/protien/carb's and fat etc, and it did my head in, what a complete waste of time, now I eat alot (as you have to) but I am more relaxed and have a very good idea on what food's to eat and just do it.
I used to buy the protien powder and the rest and all it was to me was money down the drain, there are a group of us that train together and none of us buy or take any type of powder, we just eat. I know this is a very touchy subject to many but it work's for us and is as simple as any, so that's all I need to know.
I used to weigh 69kg and standing 6ft1, I felt really paranoid, I was so lean and skinny all my life, I hated it, since then I now weigh 100kg, and I'm happy, offcourse I'd like to put on more size but our food bill has gone through the roof now, my missus complain's, lol.
I am really enjoying my time spent lifting weight's right now as back before hand I wasn't as I wasnt seeing the result's.
I urge anyone wanting to put on size and strength, to give away the crap that is forced onto us by gym's , go to a power lifting event or check out the website and get involved, it's good fun.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #21
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

What would you recommend?

I was thinking of just stints on a rowing machine, as that works the whole upper body/arms/etc...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #22
blueoval
Critical Thinker

the rowing machine also works out the back and shoulder blades. I start with some rowing to warm up prior to working my upper body with weights.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #23
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And also keep mixing it up, keep the muscles guessing
Old 10-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #24
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't realise this thread was here.

I am embarking on a program to loose the kilos.

I started out at 124.4 in February, I am now down to 108.4, still got about another 19 to loose, I want to get to 90kgs, the weight I was when I got married 33 years ago.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #25
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good stuff "Not so" Big Trev

Keep at it bud
Old 29-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #26
Graham10

Hi, Graham here and new to this site
I'm doing the Canning Stock route in July, 2010. Done up a 2008 Ranger. Hope it makes it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #27
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Of late, I have been going back to the gym regularly. I rotate between doing rpm classes, light weights and cardio work on the supplied machines. I must admit I havent been as strict as I should be with diet, but I have noticed my strength increasing and am feeling better for it.

I am considering doing a Jason Statham style workout and diet plan. But maybe not as severe. lol

http://www.rodcollins.com/wordpress/...tatham-workout

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #28
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Well I went for a walk today. I have been inspired to lose weight. I have lost about 10kg in the last month or a bit more just by changing how much junk food I eat (was eating 4-5 times a week). I was able to go out and spend $300 on billabong stuff because I finally fit into XXL again. Might sound weird but being able to buy name brand clothes again has really inspired me to not just change my diet, but get off my **** and excercise and lose another 20kg. It would be nice to fit into L sized tops and size 40 jeans again. Currently I wear a 46 sized jeans.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #29
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Keep at it mate..
Old 26-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #30
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Keep at it mate..