Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #571
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: New to cycling

That's a very unique looking set of bars mate. Hopefully you will smash your goals and reward yourself deservingly.

I did 85km over the weekend. Went with a mate who is a seasoned rider and he was giving me some tips on slip streaming while still maintaining cadence. I believed we a section of road for about 3-5km straight and sat on 35-40kph average. (dam I wish I had a Garmin 500). It worked out pretty well, and there is so much for me to learn.

Looking forward to getting out again this weekend and doing a few more sportives.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #572
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Anyone entering Around the Bay this year? (Public entries open on Monday 23rd)

After being involved in a decent accident around 5 years ago while riding ATB, I had become fearful of riding in a such a big bunch and would often either speed up or slow down when I was in one... Im happy to say that that demon is finally off my back and will be entering this years event... (waiting to confirm from some mates whether we are doing the 250 or 210)... It has been a while since I have gone for a serious "training" ride, so starting from this weekend it's game on!
I have taken on Muy Thai and some strength and conditioning classes (I cant believe how much flexibility I have gained over the past 2 months) and am feeling better than I have ever felt so hopefully that translates a little to the bike...
My goal is to achieve an average speed of over 30 k/ph.. If things go my way hoping for a mid to high 30s average...
The prize I will be rewarding myself with if I get to the mid to high 30s???

Now that I have posted this, there is no turning back and the pain barrier does not exist
Why not go for the whole bike?! ;)

There is a 50th anniversary Colnago sitting behind the counter in a Local Bike Shop over here... the thing is covered in gold plated campag etc. completely ridiculous... the owner payed something like $21 000 lol!

More $$$ than sense in WA!
Old 17-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #573
TZENU
XY Driv3r

^^^^^ LOL...

Got any pics of that by any chance?... I reckon it would look awesome!!!
Old 17-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #574
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Why not go for the whole bike?! ;)

There is a 50th anniversary Colnago sitting behind the counter in a Local Bike Shop over here... the thing is covered in gold plated campag etc. completely ridiculous... the owner payed something like $21 000 lol!

More $$$ than sense in WA!
probably someone working in the mines that bought that.

But dam that would look pimpin.

Did it look something like this?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 17-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #575
HLC
Audi S3

Nope, was this one sorry Shav, 55th anniversary!

Old 18-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #576
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Nope, was this one sorry Shav, 55th anniversary!

Now that is something else. Love it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #577
HLC
Audi S3

Latest mods. Euuuughhhhhh

Dura ace cranks meant to bend like this??

Smack.

Old 29-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #578
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Oh no what happened?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #579
HLC
Audi S3

Got t-boned by a car yesterday. They were turning across a lane into a carpark and 'just didnt see you mate' riding past....

Bike is an almost total write off -
Taco'd wheels, bent cranks, dented and possibly twisted chain stays, bent handlebars, torn saddle, one pedal mashed, helmet hit the deck hard and brand new spray jacket shredded.

I went to the ER and had shoulder and neck X-rays where I took the brunt of the impact on the road. No breakages but soft tissue damage in my right shoulder. I'm in a sling and going to go for ultrasounds in a couple of days.
Old 29-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #580
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Ouch, wish you a speedy recovery

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #581
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Got t-boned by a car yesterday. They were turning across a lane into a carpark and 'just didnt see you mate' riding past....

Bike is an almost total write off -
Taco'd wheels, bent cranks, dented and possibly twisted chain stays, bent handlebars, torn saddle, one pedal mashed, helmet hit the deck hard and brand new spray jacket shredded.

I went to the ER and had shoulder and neck X-rays where I took the brunt of the impact on the road. No breakages but soft tissue damage in my right shoulder. I'm in a sling and going to go for ultrasounds in a couple of days.
Hope your feeling better mate. Its gonna be a hard slog not being able to go out on the bike but your gonna need to rest up. lol

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #582
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Default You know your a cyclist when.....

Every time you buy something for your bike you promise yourself/partner it is the last thing you need for your bike!

After just buying a new bike, you are thinking about a better bike to buy

The only thing you try to talk about to your friends, is cycling!

you wash your bike more often then your car

you choose to get up early on a Sunday morning just 'cos you feel like a ride.

Your wife shows concern when you're driving and craning your neck when a cyclist comes from the opposite direction. Why are you doing that? ... I'm just seeing what brand of bike they're riding.

When you don't know what your cycling friends actually look like in when not wearing cycling clothing.

When you have no problem spending $2K on the right bike. Non-cyclists think spending $2K+ on a bike is insane. Of course those same people may go out and spend 20 times that on a car and think that's totally normal...

when you have more lycra in the wardrobe than the good loving wife.

You have multiple sets of bicycle specific clothing laid out for the rides scheduled for the next few days.

when you jump on the net to buy needless accessories or gear, and you can't actually think of anything that you justifiably need..

when you can buy online and do not even get the credit card out as you know all the details right down the the security code on the back.

when you check the weather forecast to see which bike to ride..

When your wife wont come into the bike store with you cause she knows you'll spend all day in there, but most importantly takes your credit card out of your wallet prior to you going in...

When walking seems unnatural and awkward

When you see glass on the road while out driving/walking and make a mental note to be careful around/avoid that section of road. Also thinking that the person who smashed the bottle is an anti cyclist who did it on purpose, they must have, surely!

When you're driving over a freeway overpass and tell your wife "this grade's about 3 percent"

You know your a cyclist when you fall off your bike and your first thought is "Is my bike scratched?"

You buy some spandex and foam from Assos for $160 and think you got a bargain.......

When you clean your bike at least twice a week, and your car has a once a year day.

You have a 10 shade tan difference on your legs from your bike shorts

When you walk past a bike store and press your nose against the glass to see what kind of bikes they have

If your friends are getting something from the shops and you know there is a bike store near by you ask to go with them

Your constantly looking at bike reviews, bike clothes, accessories, and components on the internet

Your account with [insert favorite cycling web site] has a wishlist bigger than you can afford.

You rubber neck every cyclist and their bikes while in your car and wish you could be on your bike

You criticize any cyclist that isn't obeying the road rules. (riding on footpath, no helmet/lights etc)

Your bike takes prime position in your lounge room than your coffee table

Your organizing rides with your friends for the coming weekends only to get annoyed when they can't make it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #583
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

very good and so true

Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #584
HLC
Audi S3

Yah yeah!!! Ha ha

In other news I had a Grade 2 shoulder separation, ie damage to my AC joint! So I've come off pretty well! R&R and Physio will have me back on the bike soon enough!
Old 14-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #585
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Yah yeah!!! Ha ha

In other news I had a Grade 2 shoulder separation, ie damage to my AC joint! So I've come off pretty well! R&R and Physio will have me back on the bike soon enough!
Good to hear, HLC. Were there any witnesses to your accident?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #586
TZENU
XY Driv3r

How is the recovery comming along mate?
Old 15-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #587
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
Good to hear, HLC. Were there any witnesses to your accident?
There was one! The driver of the stationary car that I ended up rolling into/hitting after I hit the ground... Once I stood up, they drove off

Recovery is ok, I guess.. I reckon my shoulder is about 80%. Still sore 24/7 and sometimes when I move it, it will 'click' and I'll be in agony for the next 5 or 10 minutes til it settles down.

Still need to book in Physio, just haven't had time.. Too much going on at work sorting out my relo back to NSW and some other issues with my tenants in my place in Syd n crap like that chewing up all my time.

I bought a trainer, and it is painfully boring.. Only done about 2 hours on it in a week lol need to use it a bit more....

Still haven't seen a cent from the guys insurance... He finally paid his excess on the weekend, but still haven't had anything come through.. Hopefully the compensation comes through tonight or something so I can replace my bike.
Old 15-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #588
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trainers are very boring, but get yourself some spinnervals DVD's and spin along to them, they have different workouts depending on what you want to work on the day.
Or you could find a local spin class, been doing them for the last couple of weeks, I find I push myself harder in these than i do when doing a spinnervals DVD workout, guess I don't want to be the first to back off, where at home nobody see's you ;)

Old 15-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #589
HLC
Audi S3

^^ will have a look!

Anyway, the dudes insurance company called me today, they are transferring the funds today sometime.. so in anticipation, I pulled the trigger on my new frame... parts etc will be ordered in the next few days.

NJS baby!!!! Little teaser shot, will wait til it's built!

Old 15-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #590
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Looks like a nice little project mate. Nice one.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #591
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Looks like a nice little project mate. Nice one.
Should be, straight off the Keirin Circuit in Japan!!!

Google 'NJS Export' if you want to see some Japanese track frame porn!
Old 16-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #592
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Good to hear that you're on the mend, HLC!

I ventured out at 4.30am yesterday to ride to work. I only got half a k down the road before I decided ..." this is f f f f ridiculous!" and turned around to drive to work! It isn't even winter yet!

I was wearing a Tshirt, my newly purchased arm warmers and 'wind proof' vest, but my shoulder only covered by the tshirt was freezing.

What do you guys wear to ward off the chills? I've ordered a couple of jerseys online to see if they make a difference, but I'm open to all sorts of warm suggestions.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #593
HLC
Audi S3

^^ cheers!

How deep are your pockets???

Plenty of options for keeping warm in winter at plenty of different prices. Merino wool base layers are pretty much the standard now and you can get them from any reputable online bike shop. (local brick and mortar places are a bit behind the times and wil Charge you 5 times more )

Otherwise a nice 'Rapha' winter jacket will sort you out! ;)
Old 16-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #594
blueoval
Critical Thinker

As Henri said, base layers are crucial to warmth. Invest in these for top and bottom. A windproof/water resistant jacket is another must have item, Ear or head warmers for under the helmet, and decent full fingered gloves is a must.

Places to shop can be your local LBS/outdoor store, or online shops like Wiggle, Ribble, Chain Reaction Cycles, Torpedo7, Cycling Sports and Cycling Express.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 16-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #595
Hell Cat

Winter.
It's my favorite season for riding.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #596
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Thanks guys, I'm now waiting on some apparel I ordered from Torpedo7. Windbreaker jacket and a couple of jerseys, and I might add a sloppy joe from the wardrobe.

I'll look into the Merino wardrobe options!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #597
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Hey guys,

Just wondering who has a cycling computer fitted to their ride, and what do they have?

Im looking for something inexpensive that has ANT+ capability for a cadence sensor to be bought later. GPS preferred as I hate wires and would rather a cleaner look.

Brands Im tossing up between are:
Bryton Rider 20E/30T
Garmin Edge 500
Sigma 1609 (if it comes in GPS)
Cateye (if it comes in GPS)

Im trying to keep the initial price down to under $150, but that doesnt leave me with much choice other than the Bryton 20E or a wired version.

Does anyone use the Bryton models? Any recommendations/reviews good or bad?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 23-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #598
Hell Cat

Bontrager do computers with a.n.t

I use the gramin 500
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #599
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another 500 user here, great computer, but the course feature sucks

Old 24-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #600
HLC
Audi S3

You can get garmin 500's for under 300 now Shav with the sensors incl. you just need to hunt around.

I've used a mates and can't wait to buy my own!

And in other news, had my new frame and box of parts turn up! Just waiting on Rims and spokes (as I got sent the wrong length so the shop is sorting that out for me!)