Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #31
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

before i bought my sprint i almost bought a rebodied XE ESP, but at least the ESP had some history to it.....

T-boned in the mid 80's and rebuilt by DJR with a brand new, unstamped shell that was supposedly supplied to DJR by ford australia after dickie took his field trip through the scenery at bathurst...... he had the paperwork to back it up, and DJR confirmed it, but i couldnt afford to buy it and being it back to A1 condition
Old 03-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #32
EF_Frmnt
Banned

the police and vicroads/rta/qld transport are not the only ones allowed to stamp engine numbers. Often when fresh engines get sent to dealerships for warranty claims they come bare and must be stamped by the dealership with the old engine number, the old one being ground off as they often remanufacture the engines.

An you will also find some aftermarket blocks come bare and you must add your own engine numbers.
EF_Frmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #33
irsa76
Snoopping

You would find that if it was a proper rebody, the chassis number will have a different prefix. I've seen new shells in parts books and they all state that they are stamped replacement. I would be interested to see what a stolen vehicle report says about the chassis number on this one.

Oh yeah, compliance plate swaps aren't hard. I've personally fitted a few, legally, for various importers.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 11:12 PM   #34
peedee

To restamp a body number on a valiant you need to grind it off the right inner guard and restamp it, which makes it a charger of any model with a r/t compliance plate, or in the case of a friend of mine his right side was hit hard his body number no longer matches the compliance plate which states it is a 1974 XL charger (base model), but the ammended number on the new inner guard states it is a 1978 4 door regal se sedan, which is right,both because both have been noted on the registration papers, if the car ever went out of rego and the records not available it would not be registerable under any means
peedee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 09:36 AM   #35
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by irsa76
You would find that if it was a proper rebody, the chassis number will have a different prefix. I've seen new shells in parts books and they all state that they are stamped replacement. I would be interested to see what a stolen vehicle report says about the chassis number on this one.

Oh yeah, compliance plate swaps aren't hard. I've personally fitted a few, legally, for various importers.
Most of the rebody's done after the first few years of the cars life are into second hand shells which already have a VIN number.

The main reason for rebody's of these cars is because damage or rust which the owner believes is too difficult to repair. It is generally a Falcon / Fairmont shell that they use and I would not expect the shell to be stolen because they are cheap enough to buy.

When a GT is stolen and rebodied with a different GT's ID (from a rusted out car etc) then it is not usually advertised as a rebody because the owners is trying to pass it off as an original, or they would not have bothered.
LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #36
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He says that the interior is all there,but the problem with it is that it has a blank steering column and a blank console as well.Steering column is also the wrong colour.Seems to be a bits and pieces car to me.Might be genine tags, but no motor and box and different body there no way that it's a genuine GT as he advertises it.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-04-2007, 11:58 PM   #37
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
He was going to "RETORE" it - that says it all.
HAHA...why stop there?? RETORE...WAIST...REGESTED The guy can't speel for nuts!!!!! :
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 12:23 AM   #38
ZEDAYE
20 INCH 100 SPOKES

To rebody a GT just takes a good panel beater. Remove the shock tower that has the stamped numbers, then refit into 2nd car.
ZEDAYE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 12:34 AM   #39
1970galaxie
Fat 460

There is a lot more to a GT body than just the shock tower number.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 12:58 AM   #40
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEDAYE
To rebody a GT just takes a good panel beater. Remove the shock tower that has the stamped numbers, then refit into 2nd car.
If that's all the effort they went to id pick it in a second.. There's far more to a 54H bodyshell than just some numbers stamped...

Old 06-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #41
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEDAYE
You might pass it off to someone who has no idea what they are looking at, but anyoe who knows a thing or two about GTs will pick it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #42
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

We do have to give the guy credit for being honest about it being rebodied as there are so many dodgy people out there today that wouldnt say anything and hope someone buys it as original. My thoughts are this is not the only rebodied GT out there thats for sure, people with the money will spend as much as needed and there is no limit we all know that now days (XW PHASE 1 $750,000 for sale at the moment). If you have that sort of money and are willing to spend whats needed no one would know otherwise. Having said all this i dont agree with it but i dont know what i would do if i was driving my XR GT and some idiot crashed into me and wrote it off and i have my replica sitting there but no more GT, what would you guys do keeping in mind it wasnt your fault and your GT is no longer here anymore.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #43
Tony xa
Streetrides panel & paint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Tonys qualified advice on paint and panel is always very good 

Yeah your right there at least hes being honest about the car but I wouldn't have thought he was realistic but I must be wrong as hes getting bids and the price is getting pretty damn high for what it is But like i said I must be wrong .

Surely people are not this hard up on getting these cars that they are willing to convence themselfs that its worth their while but like I have said twice before I must be wrong
Tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #44
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess that depends on how the rebody is identified.
Being "honest" about a rebody (an illegally done one) is a bit like admitting to a crime, (or at the very least being aware of one and not reporting it).
Rebody's are illegal if restamped with the GT's numbers and can't legally/technically be registered or sold unless they get inspected and get police numbers stamped on them...

Last edited by 4Vman; 07-04-2007 at 02:57 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post