Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #31
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard that the vic opposition party say they'll return the 10% tolerance if they get into government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
There is an ADR that states a speedo must be within 10%.
That 10% can be either direction, but as you mentioned most manufacturers normally read slightly faster then the car is travelling, until people play with tyre sizes, diff gears etc
We did a tour of the ford plant and they were saying that they calibrate the speedo's to be more than the car is travelling. When your doing 110 according to the speedo, your doing 105 or 106.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #32
bob^
LPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I heard that the vic opposition party say they'll return the 10% tolerance if they get into government.
They didn't get into government.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 08:33 PM   #33
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:

We did a tour of the ford plant and they were saying that they calibrate the speedo's to be more than the car is travelling. When your doing 110 according to the speedo, your doing 105 or 106.
I have checked my pursuit and it is approx 2 klms out at 100 kmh, but have also tested a 3V Ba ute and it is approx 5-6 klms out at the same speed, in both cases the speedo reads faster than actual road speed

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #34
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well I know in mine when it shows 100km/h, I'm actually doing 96km/h. Would that be consistent through all speeds? I think I got done in a 60 zone about a month back. But still no letter in the mail. I want them to hurry up and send it, so I can pay it off and get off my mind.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #35
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come on guys and girls, it’s all in the Interest of saving lives on the roads, just like, the U.S invaded Iraq for the sole prepose of Helping the Iraqi people.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 11:07 PM   #36
VSSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
My ex NSW Police HWP XR6T speedo was calibrated in early december 2006 (just before I got it) The GPS reckons that the speedo is about 7kph out at 110. I say challenge anything you think needs to be challenged.
In NSW it isn't the speedo in the dash that get's checked. The cops fit their own digital speedo and the factory stuff is untouched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRYDEY
speed is a scapegoat for the govt and something that gets a lot of media attention so there will always be more cops attention on this than other offences.
I dunno about Vic but in NSW their HWP numbers haven't increased in over 10 years. In fact they've dropped a lot and it's just more ads you see on the TV and thats all funded by the RTA. Not even the cops!
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 11:07 PM   #37
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I just sit on 90kmph in 100kmph zone when i go past a camera . then speed up to 100kmph again.. generally 10kmph below the posted limit when going past a camera because I'd hate to be pinged falsely... :(
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #38
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
im Sick of the More Mature Aged Drivers Claiming that the Younger ones are Irresponsible ,
I'm past 'More Mature age' but I'll bet I'm more irresponsible than you

I usually drive assuming that no tolerance is given anytime. If I get caught breaking the law, whether I like that law or not, it's my fault. I broke it, I wear the penalty.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:49 AM   #39
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
how many more speed cameras does "bracks" want to put on the overhead bridges on the freeway to geelong?
Yeah and it gets worse. Apparently those cameras are timed too. so on a trip to Geelong from Melbourne, if you sit on say, 120, and slow to 100 for the cameras the last one will still get ya as your average speed over the distance is greater than 100. Thats the word anyway, I never go down there so I don't know for sure
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 12:56 AM   #40
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

because the cameras were new and look 'high technology' i'd of thought it would be Time-Over-Distance (though the box's could have peanuts in them instead eh)... they haven't updated the speed camera locations on the vic justice site... hasn't change to time over distance ??

... tonight everyone was actually going atleast 120 whilst I was sitting on 100.. then they'd slow for the cameras

maybe someone can set this officially straight :P
Old 12-02-2007, 03:39 AM   #41
SXCXR6
Banned

If thats true thats gotta be the biggest load of **** in the world you got to a destination abit quiker so you must of been speeding does that mean if i stop to take a **** on the hw ill get fined for going to slow in a 100 zone? haha
SXCXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 03:51 AM   #42
holmsy
Banned

[QUOTE=dan b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I thought the idea was for you guys to "Wipe off 5" to avoid being booked. By "you guys", I mean Victorians.

your'e part right jc, i think thats applies when its raining though.

i do feel for our mexican cousins though, me and the missus were down there a couple of weeks ago for a holiday, went down to geelong to look at the ford discovery centre. how many more speed cameras does "bracks" want to put on the overhead bridges on the freeway to geelong? there's heaps! still much better roads and traffic flow than here in sydney.

to the ticket, i don't really think its worth fighting dude, it could end up costing you more in court costs etc than the actual fine.

there is 3-4 cameras.

the tip is to know which bridges they are on :nutsycuck

my brother hates them. as he says. the cameras dont stop pepople speeding. all they do is book the people that laps concentration and go a few km's over.
the people that are excessively speeding most of the time know where the cameras are so by the time they get to a camera they are slow and legal and back speeding straight after.
it is a useless system all it does is slow down the people speeding on purpose for a whole 100 meters under each bridge

edit: as for the time/distance thing.
NO
well as far as im concerned it is no. otherwise half my family wouldent have licenses.
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 04:13 AM   #43
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

post deleted
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #44
holmsy
Banned

also we have noticed our BA is a few km's over then what you are actually doing so we just drive with the speedo saying between 100 and 105
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #45
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXCXR6
If thats true thats gotta be the biggest load of **** in the world you got to a destination abit quiker so you must of been speeding does that mean if i stop to take a **** on the hw ill get fined for going to slow in a 100 zone? haha
OK, once I deciphered this I guessed that you have never seen these cameras working interstate. I believe that on your Western ring road (and possibly other roads) they had cameras fitted to some of the bridges. these would photo your car at one point and then further down the road they would photo your car again. If you reach the 2nd (or 3rd, 4th etc) before you were supposed to at the roads speed limit, your nicked!

We've had them in NSW for years (Safe-T-Cam) and driving a Truck they can be a pain.

For instance, the RTA say that between 2 certain cameras I'm allowed to take 1hr 46mins 50secs. If I get do the distance in less I'm assumed to have been speeding and get nicked!

Like most things connected the RTA do the theory is good, but if I wanted to do, say, 140kmh, stop for coffee then carry on at 140kmh I would appear to be a safe steady driver as the camera times were fine
Old 12-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #46
Ringo
I see you....

Yep....speeding....fascinating topic.....never heard it discussed on these forums before.

Question has been answered, sorry you got pinged, we all move on.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #47
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
i'd of thought it would be Time-Over-Distance
Cant wait for NSW to install the time-ver-distance on the Hume, it will catch the people who slow down for the signle point speed check, and wont catch those who accidenlty exceed the limit going down hills once or twice every 50 k's.

What are point-to-point speed cameras?
Point-to-point speed cameras consist of two separate cameras located some distance apart.

The cameras can determine if a vehicle has travelled faster than the minimum legal travel time for a specific section of road by reading and matching vehicle number plates at each camera site.

Why is there a trial of point-to-point speed cameras?
Speeding accounts for around 40 per cent of all road fatalities each year.

Point-to-point speed cameras have the potential to significantly reduce the number of road crashes and fatalities by enforcing the minimum travel time that vehicles can travel over a specific distance.

Will point-to-point speed cameras be used to issue speeding infringements?
No infringements will be issued for offences detected by point-to-point cameras during the trial period.

However, existing speed cameras at these locations will continue to issue infringements for vehicles that exceed the legal speed limit.

How long will the point-to-point cameras be trialled for?
The point-to-point speed cameras will trialled for a period of up to 12 months from June 2004. If the trial is successful, similar point-to-point speed cameras may be introduced on other major routes.

Where will the point-to-point speed cameras be trialled?
Point-to-point speed cameras will be trialled at three locations:

Pacific Highway between Clothiers Creek to Chinderah (10 km – northbound only).
Pacific Highway between Harwood and New Italy (35 km – north and southbound).
M4 Motorway near Wentworthville (4.2 km – eastbound only).
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #48
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
Cant wait for NSW to install the time-ver-distance on the Hume, it will catch the people who slow down for the signle point speed check, and wont catch those who accidenlty exceed the limit going down hills once or twice every 50 k's.
They've been there for years.
Albury (Table Top)
Gundagai (Tuckerbox)
Marulan (Weighbridge, Trucks only)
Bargo.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #49
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

OH WELL... it was worth a shot... western ring road (if not already TIME-OVER-DISTANCE) will be soon .. I guess it could be in 'testing mode' at the moment

link:
http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/CA256902000FE154/Lookup/Road_Safety_PDFs/$file/Speed_Cameras_the_way_ahead.pdf

pic:
Old 12-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #50
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb
Yeah and it gets worse. Apparently those cameras are timed too. so on a trip to Geelong from Melbourne, if you sit on say, 120, and slow to 100 for the cameras the last one will still get ya as your average speed over the distance is greater than 100. Thats the word anyway, I never go down there so I don't know for sure
So do they photograph EVERY car? How else is it going to work? I could easily see them do it on the M7 motorway as it records your time on the statement.
OK I just read it above, you have to be speeeding FIRST to set the camera off, right?
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #51
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
So do they photograph EVERY car? How else is it going to work? I could easily see them do it on the M7 motorway as it records your time on the statement.
OK I just read it above, you have to be speeeding FIRST to set the camera off, right?
Bzzt! Wrong...EVERY vehicle gets its numberplate photographed.

I assume that the Vic version is based on the Safe-T-Cam here in NSW as our RTA has been trying to sell it interstate for years.

It uses infrared and was developed in conjunction with the CSIRO.

Big Brother is gonna getcha everywhere
Old 12-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #52
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I'd be all for time over distance here .....except.... it's very easy to creep over 3kmph ... especially no cruise control, we need a leeway of atleast 10kmph imo.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #53
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
They've been there for years.
Albury (Table Top)
Gundagai (Tuckerbox)
Marulan (Weighbridge, Trucks only)
Bargo.

No mate they are truck only

The ones at the dog on the tuckerbox were just moved because where they used to be it was possible to drive through Gungagai to miss the camera's (they were under the overpass just south of the north exit)
Old 12-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #54
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
I'd be all for time over distance here .....except.... it's very easy to creep over 3kmph ... especially no cruise control, we need a leeway of atleast 10kmph imo.
NSW speed cameras are fairly leanient (Prob about 5km/h)

Considering that 120 on the Falcons is only about 114 you should be safe.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #55
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
No mate they are truck only

The ones at the dog on the tuckerbox were just moved because where they used to be it was possible to drive through Gungagai to miss the camera's (they were under the overpass just south of the north exit)
They're for Trucks in the speed dept but are also used by the RTA for picking up unregistered cars.

What I meant was that point to point cameras already exist in NSW.

I know about the Tuckerbox move, it only took the RTA about 7 years to work that one out, including having techs sitting up on the bridge all night watching traffic.

Last edited by GasoLane; 12-02-2007 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Damn typos!
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #56
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
NSW speed cameras are fairly leanient (Prob about 5km/h)

Considering that 120 on the Falcons is only about 114 you should be safe.
I was told it's 10kmph in general ? I came back from qld the other week , before i went i asked an was told i you can safely do 120 in 110 zone, so i did just that back to vic boarder

so 120kmph in 110 zone, you'll have no dramas at that speed for the safe-t-cams?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #57
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
I was told it's 10kmph in general ? I came back from qld the other week , before i went i asked an was told i you can safely do 120 in 110 zone, so i did just that back to vic boarder

so 120kmph in 110 zone, you'll have no dramas at that speed for the safe-t-cams?
Cops wont pull you over for 120km/h (effective 114km/h), I suspect that is what you have been told. I wouldnt suggest doing 126km/h (effectively 120km/h) as cops will pull you over, and I dont believe cameras could possibly give you that much.

safe-t-cams (time vs distance) dont work on cars at the moment, only trucks. If they did work on cars, yes, you would be fine clicking the cruise on at 120km/h on the dial.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #58
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Cops wont pull you over for 120km/h (effective 114km/h), I suspect that is what you have been told. I wouldnt suggest doing 126km/h (effectively 120km/h) as cops will pull you over, and I dont believe cameras could possibly give you that much.

safe-t-cams (time vs distance) dont work on cars at the moment, only trucks. If they did work on cars, yes, you would be fine clicking the cruise on at 120km/h on the dial.
not all cars are the same. 120 on the dial in some cars my be very close to 118. i would not recommend you drive at more than the posted speed if you want to travel risk free.

just like not all cars are the same, not all cops are the same.

i think this thread is hilarious. big debates over whether it is 'o.k' to do slightly more than the posted speed limit.

i realise thats not how it started but that is what it has degenerated into. do the crime, do the time. pretty simple really.

and yes i speed at times. thats my decision and if i get done i'll pay my dues.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #59
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbondage
Iam from Sydney and i did get done with a camera in VIC once 63 in a 60.........thats B******t!!!!
To be booked for 63 in a 60 zone, you have to be doing closer to 70. They have a tolerance figure which is subtracted from your "booked" speed.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #60
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
not all cars are the same. 120 on the dial in some cars my be very close to 118. i would not recommend you drive at more than the posted speed if you want to travel risk free.

just like not all cars are the same, not all cops are the same.

i think this thread is hilarious. big debates over whether it is 'o.k' to do slightly more than the posted speed limit.

i realise thats not how it started but that is what it has degenerated into. do the crime, do the time. pretty simple really.

and yes i speed at times. thats my decision and if i get done i'll pay my dues.
We were discussing possible speed tolerences in regards to distance vs time cameras, not saying it is OK to speed. I was saying that since on my Falcon 120km/h is 114km/h, and I am not convinced that the distance vs time cameras will get you for 4km/h, that there shouldnt be much chance of getting fined for creeping over the limit every now and then down hills etc etc. (see my orginal post in this thread for thats why I am annoued by radar based speed cameras). I was also warning kyro_02 that he was told a 10km/h tolerence, which prob refered to on the dial, not ACTUAL tolerance of cameras, which is most likely down around 5-6km/h.

I would assume that all BA falcons are calibrated the same for speedo readings

In all my driving I am yet to meet and ****%^& copper who will pull me up for 120km/h (on the dial, so only 114km/h) in a 110 zone on the Hume

Speeding is in no way being "ok'd" here, I agree, you get caught, you knew you were doing it, tough luck!!!!