Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2006, 04:04 PM   #31
XR8putts

Was browsing through the latest NZ Autocar magazine, they got a 5.4s 0-100 time out of the Force6.. or was it 5.3? Should've skipped lunch and bought the mag instead of flicking thru it at the newstand!
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #32
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
I haven't seen it. Only one I have read about was the GT v GTS.

Where is the F6 comparison then?
Sorry, I was just being a smart ***. If the GT doesn't get very close to an e series then the F6 isn't going to be a great deal better.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #33
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

He wasn't asking your opinion, he wanted to know where he could read it?
Old 21-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #34
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Sorry, I was just being a smart ***. If the GT doesn't get very close to an e series then the F6 isn't going to be a great deal better.
I recall the GT doing very well against the GTS. A lot better than expected. So if that's the case, the F6/Force6 would be right up there.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #35
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Where is this review of the Force 6 v E series senator?
In the lastest Wheels magazine, they basically come out equal, with the Force 8 lagging behind....

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #36
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Correct - there really isn't any wrong at all with the platform and there's no need to reinvent the wheel. There are significant changes still as extra and time and money will always improve and evolve design, so Orion will benefit from this.

One more point, the AU IRS isn't better than Control blade. Control blade brought many advatages. They are two different systems in two significantly different cars, structuraly, and weight. These two differences would contribute to the dynamics of the car considerably, so isolating the IRS system and saying it's reposnsible, wouldn't be totally correct.
I have spoke to plenty of suspension experts who say that the AU IRS was a better design than the control blade, it was only changed due to weight as why else would you change such a good set up after 4 years when holden had its for 15 years. Plenty magazines commented on how the BA lost its razor sharp handling of the T series cars. They seam to have a stronger diff/Axle shafts to than BA.
Old 21-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #37
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
I have spoke to plenty of suspension experts who say that the AU IRS was a better design than the control blade, it was only changed due to weight as why else would you change such a good set up after 4 years when holden had its for 15 years. Plenty magazines commented on how the BA lost its razor sharp handling of the T series cars. They seam to have a stronger diff/Axle shafts to than BA.
There are many reasons why the system changed, modular design, subframe design to significantly increase body rigity and to conform with Territory architecture also.

As i said, the dynamics of the previous IRS cars were not only different because of the IRS itself, but the much lighter body etc. That's not to say that the IRS in those cars wasn't good, it was great!
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #38
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

yeah i supposed the fuel tank was moved on BA so it allowed a different design to
Old 25-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
True, and Ford's Geelong stamping plant also plays a part in stamping for Holden/Toyota etc... Sharing amongst the manufacturer's is not uncommon.
Tool room made parts for Boeing too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
The latest Wheels has a piece where they are saying the rumour is that the Orion Falcon will be built on a warmed over BA platform. That means Holden will remain more then competitive from a handling perspective as the VE is their first crack at this new platform and I'm sure they will tweak and improve it over the years to come.

Dan
The chassis may be based on BF but it will be signifacantly revised. Combined with a new body there will be very little carryover. They will probably make wholesale changes to everything so saying handling will be like BF is being a bit shortsighted.
Old 25-11-2006, 02:57 PM   #41
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The chassis may be based on BF but it will be signifacantly revised. Combined with a new body there will be very little carryover. They will probably make wholesale changes to everything so saying handling will be like BF is being a bit shortsighted.

Does this mean the motors will still be in the same position?
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #42
killer_taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute6
In the lastest Wheels magazine, they basically come out equal, with the Force 8 lagging behind....
This sums it up pretty much...

“In the end, the HSV did just enough to share a win with the Force 6, but given it’s a brand-new platform, that’s not much to crow about. That it’s the best-looking, best-equipped and dynamically most entertaining car is of little doubt, but it was a shock to see the HSV run so close by FPV’s older platform.” - Wheels Dec 06.
killer_taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 05:21 PM   #43
killer_taxi

Heres what Wheels magazine said about Ford using the current platform...

Ford Falcon Orion

Set to fly in 2008, but not on all-new wings…

FORD’S 2008 Falcon is to be built on the existing model’s basic architecture, Wheels can reveal. Orion, as it’s codenamed, will be similar in size and, presumably, weigh to the current model. Our source is excellent, but must remain anonymous.

When asked to confirm or deny the accuracy of Wheels’ information, Ford Australia spokeswoman Sinead McAlary declined to answer the question directly, but her responses indicate our information is accurate.

“We have followed a program of continuous engineering and design improvement,“ McAlary said, referring to the approach adopted by Ford to the Falcon since the 2002 BA model. “That policy will not change with the introduction of the next Falcon. It will be new where it needs to be…”

Areas of Falcon requiring improvement are its doors - poor entry and egress are an acknowledged problem with the car - and its interior - packaging rather than design. With a brand new body on the existing architecture, both of these issues would be dealt with.

It’s possible Ford may adopt the Territory’s excellent front suspension and steering for the Falcon, and absolutely certain that it will continue to be powered by an in-line six-cylinder engine. Wheels understands that the Australian-made engine can - and will -be upgraded to meet tougher Euro 4 emissions standards, which are scheduled to replace the current Euro 3-equivalent standards here in 2010.

With Australia’s appetite for large cars waning, Ford presumably must have high-volume export aspirations for the Orion.
killer_taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 05:30 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50
Does this mean the motors will still be in the same position?
Not necessarly. They could technically move it wherever they need it as the body is all new.
Old 25-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #45
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
I have spoke to plenty of suspension experts who say that the AU IRS was a better design than the control blade, it was only changed due to weight as why else would you change such a good set up after 4 years when holden had its for 15 years.
Control Blade was introduced due to cost - the double wishbone setup was too expensive, especially to introduce across the range.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #46
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the falcon doesnt have to be all new like the commie because there is not much to improve as in chassis wise copared to the commie. the problem i am worried about is that the media will not include it as all new and it will seem to people that its not as good as the new 1 billion dollar baby.
Old 25-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #47
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Slightly more aggressive look, and a very nice clean, professional looking dash, and it will b better then the VE. BA/BF already looks better then the VE... I just hope to hell that Ford DO NOT put massive wheel flares on like the VE.... it's not an RX8 poeple!!!!!!

/rant

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #48
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

au3 how do you know how it will turn out?
Old 26-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #49
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

But what about the spindle tester?
Old 26-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #50
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
I just hope to hell that Ford DO NOT put massive wheel flares on like the VE.... it's not an RX8 poeple!!!!!!

/rant
Bring on that slab-sided featureless bland-o-matic goodness!!
Old 26-11-2006, 02:45 PM   #51
The Monty
Just slidin'

Arrgghh, my eyes Mr. Sparkle, lol. Id like to see it with wider wheel arches, so you can fit big fat rubber, not flares though, they look spaky. Id like it more agressive, maybe a diesel version, or a hybrid would be different. It needs to be lighter, and more powerful, sound good, use less fuel, etc. Am I asking to much, lol. There has to be a compromise, as they cant do everything. Would love a meat pie holder though, so you can eat pies on the run.
Old 26-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #52
irsa76
Snoopping

Make it tow a decent load and I'm happy.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post