Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #31
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im an apprentice for a CAT dealership and CAT machinery has mostly all magnetic plugs.. and they are in everything ranging from diffs to hubs, to axels to sumps. its not so much to collect the particles but to tell when to overhaul a component. on brand new cars, i would recommend that as soon as you get it, dump the oil and install a magnetic sump plug and then every 1000kms for 10 000km you should dump the oil and see how much metal is on the plug.. there will be heaps as all the moving internal parts are wearing in and shed metal filings.

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #32
XEESP_351

Early holden Gen III's had magnetic sump plugs from factory thats so u could tell when they shat.. :MrT_anim:

then they went back to standard type i guess to many people got worried when they found it
XEESP_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 01:04 AM   #33
paddle

Thanks guys,and I thought that no one would reply,was I wrong! desicion made,im getting one next week,thanks again,this forum rocks,one happy lion
Ice creams for everyone!!!
paddle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 02:51 AM   #34
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrsick
I have dealt with this seller he is very reputable and is a ford employer (engineer i think),he is very switched on and also sells the stainless steel BA-BF airbox logos and the updated scuff plates and also known as the mesh man as he also has the ba bf lower grilles which are anodised i highly recomend him! please note i am just one of his happy customers cheers
Frank
I have met him a few times also, he showed me one of his sump plugs, it has a really strong magnet. I would have brought one then but I was a bit strapped for cash at the time. He does work for Ford but he is not an engineer. He doesn't sell crap, all his stuff is top quality.

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #35
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildee
These $20 ones seem to look much more like the proper sump plug http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-FALCON-B...QQcmdZViewItem

Might have to grab one for the next oil change.
Wish I'd seen that one first, before getting the other one! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 10:12 AM   #36
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
Im strangely attracted to the idea... *snicker*

I kill me..
Took me a while, just got it! LOL!

Sometimes my slowness on the uptake astounds me! LOL!

*GK retreats to corner, pondering the potential embarrassement of that last statement to be quoted back to him many times! LOL!*

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 30-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #37
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEFGLi
and if any metal particles are large enough they will bridge the gap between the poles and cause the light to come on.
Got them on planes they are called a chip detector.
There is no cockpit indication. They are inspected on intervals (200 flight hrs for a 737-800).
Old 09-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #38
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildee
These $20 ones seem to look much more like the proper sump plug http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-FALCON-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Might have to grab one for the next oil change.

Wish I'd seen that one first, before getting the other one! LOL!

GK

Sorry to quote myself here, but that was almost like a prophecy or something!

I got the plug from the first supplier in the thread, was sent the wrong plug, not sure why but am not getting a refund and keeping the plug.

The plug sent was smaller in diameter (the bolt itself) and wouldn't actually cover the area of the sump hole. The thread was wrong also, too large, not by much so it didn't work out.

I then (as of this morning) ordered 2 (I thought, what the heck!) from the second supplier, as he uses original Ford plugs to start with. Made sure I emailed him to let me know I'm getting AU plugs as I don't want anymore oil on my drive. Not much, but the smooth changeover of plugs I had envisaged did not occur! LOL!

I'll let you know how they go!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 09-10-2006, 11:16 PM   #39
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a good source for a powerfull little magnet is old computer hard drives, a bit of mucking around but would make a good pan/sump magnet.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #40
Veefore

I would be careful about sticking magnets onto the oil pan unless you plan to drop the pan and clean it regularly. If you don't drop the pan off to clean it, the particles just build up and as the power of the magnet decreases (all ferrite magnets lose strength) those particles are then released back into the oil.

A magnetic sump plug is a great idea because you are removing the particles when you remove the plug and clean it.

When I was racing, we always stuck magnets to the oil filter as well. This kept anything metallic that was floating around in the oil trapped inside the filter and when we replaced the filter the particles were thrown out with the filter. Back then, we used ordinary ferrite magnets but we were changing filters every month so the risk of the magnet losing enough strength and releasing the particles wasn't really a risk. Just recently I read about using the magnets from a hard drive and so this morning I pulled one apart and removed the magnets. It only took about 5 minutes and was quite easy. For their size they are EXTREMELY strong and should be safe to mount on my road cars oil filter for the 6 months or so between oil changes.
Veefore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #41
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
No offence mate but i wouldnt do that , not saying it would but its possible it could slow the flow down abit, if you saw the paste like gunk on the plug...
It wouldn't slow it down any more than how currently the oil is being pushed through paper. I'm not sure if a filter flows from the inside to outside, but the way I see it is if the particles can get through the paper cylinder filter of an oil filter, having the magnets will let it stick to the wall of the filter.

I know the paste like gunk, I've rebuilt a N12 Pulsar gearbox before, which had about 400 grams of that pastey stuff, 50 grams of metal shavings and about a kg of stripped gear teeth!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #42
GK
Walking with God

Both plugs are in.

Haven't done an oil change yet, but intend to do one in a few thou, which will have the oil roughly 3,000 kays old. I'll take a pic of the magnetic plug when I change it.

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG