Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-08-2006, 10:45 PM   #31
tommoxr6
tommoxr6

yea same here. I feel that the federal government might turn it into a slanging match with state governments saying that they are the governments who havent removed these taxes. i dont care whos getting it just reduce the dam excise
tommoxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:45 PM   #32
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

They won't listen and don't care.
Old 17-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #33
tommoxr6
tommoxr6

what if the government done with fuel like they are child care? keep excise as it is and have it pooled where at tax time 30% fuel rebates are issued. could this work?
tommoxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #34
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK the solution drop the gst off fuel...keep the excise thats what is supposed to be paying for the roads.

The gst is in the case of fuel(and many other state taxes..that were supposed to be dropped with the coming of gst) a double tax.

Will they drop it never.

Who hurts as usual the ppl who are'nt CEO's who get paid millions per year.

I will now bite my tounge. Think about it ppl...the rich get richer the poor get shafted!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 12:00 AM   #35
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommoxr6
But im sure if politicians were paid as much as everyone else they wouldnt be politicians, so what do you? deal with it? whinge?
G'day mate, not having a go at you whatsoever but you raise an interesting point in regard's to politician's salaries. Despite the fact that they are paid a decent sum, I think you'll find that if they were in commerce, as CEOs, CFOs or COOs in the calibre that they are currently performing in, then they would be getting a fair deal more than what they are currently being remunerated with.

Imagine if John Howard (Circa mid 200ks) had the performance bonus that Allan Moss (CEO, Macquarie Bank, circa 28m) had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
They won't listen and don't care.
I listen and I don't care. Cut the GST and/or fuel excise and we'll have countless threads whinging about the state of the roads or the hospitals

Last edited by Dave_au; 18-08-2006 at 12:17 AM.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 12:11 AM   #36
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

I signed - its good to see some one is trying to do something about this

Tax on a Tax is not the way GST was sold to us

Even in insurance you pay Tax on a Tax - just recently the Fire Service Levy was increased and as the Fire Service Levy is before the GST is calculated and the Stamp duty the roll on effect increased the GST & Stamp Duty portions.

If the GST and the STamp Duty were calculated
on the base premium not on the premium after other tax's have been added then that would be alot fairer

SOME COMMERCIAL PROPERTY'S HAVE 48% WORTH OF TAX'S ON THEN - LYING GOVERNMENT

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 12:19 AM   #37
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
I signed - its good to see some one is trying to do something about this

Tax on a Tax is not the way GST was sold to us
The actual partition was for the removal of the fuel excise, not the Gst.

Quote:
its good to see some one is trying to do something about this
Never forget you have the same rights as John Howard - you could always run for parliament.

Quote:
just recently the Fire Service Levy was increased and as the Fire Service Levy is before the GST is calculated and the Stamp duty the roll on effect increased the GST & Stamp Duty portions.
That's one for your labor state government to answer. Its not a federal levy/tax.
Old 18-08-2006, 12:21 AM   #38
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusiverunner
I will sign. It makes me laugh how everyone complains about increases in petrol, but when someone comes up with an idea that may or may not work we all have reasons why someone is trying to do something is wasting their time.

The government is double-dipping after all. They also get a lot more taxes from just about everything you eat, drink or just buy. :alien2:

I wont sign it because it's a shortsighted way to fix 1 problem, while creading a miriad of others. Is the petition authorised by K. Beasly? Ha.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 06:33 AM   #39
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol351
When GST was introduced it was supposed to replace all other taxes.
I dont think fuel excise was ever on the table.

What was supposed to happen was that the GST went to the states and the states were to kill most of their various duties and taxes. Didn't happen.

The States couldn't believe their luck when they got the GST money. It was manna from heaven. NSW was so thrilled about it that they had no qualms about giving a chunk of GST collected through activities in NSW to other states, notably WA and Qld. There was supposed to be more than enough to wipe out stamp duty and, from memory, payroll tax - though I'm happy to be corrected on that.

Six years on, and GST revenues exceed all expectations. But the States have done exactly what you might expect them to do - they've blown the money without investing in vital infrastructure and are now crying poor. NSW is the worst culprit, screaming its tits off about how the Federal Government is defrauding it out of $3bn per year by handing GST to other States that rightfully belongs to NSW - despite going into the GST sharing arrangement with eyes wide open in the first place. The only way they'll get the money back is if WA and QLD agree to a restructure, and that isn't going to happen.

But back to the original post. I don't believe there was ever any linkage between GST and fuel excise. Excise, along with income taxes and certain other tariffs, is the Federal Government's bread and butter. As has been said above, if they scrapped or reduced excise they would have to get the money from somewhere else.

It also has to be said that the fuel excise does not go up with the wholesale price of fuel. The fuel excise is a fixed amount per litre, it is not applied as a percentage to the wholesale price of oil. As fuel prices go up, the percentage of the price at the pump attributable to excise actually goes down. The Federal Government is not in any way, shape of form making a killing because fuel prices have gone up.

What is more contentious is the GST applied to the excise component of the retail fuel price. In the overall scheme of things, this is about 4 cents per litre at the pump. Again, if they try to kill this, sit back and watch the States howl.

Last edited by Abacus; 18-08-2006 at 06:45 AM.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 06:51 AM   #40
Abacus
Life's a Gas

The best way out of this whole revenue sharing mess is simple - abolish the states.

They are an unneccessary additional tier of government we could do without. There is no reason why we need separate health, police, and education authorities throughout the country, duplicating legislation, overheads and costs. Three levels of government for 20 million people? What rubbish.

If that were done, the arguments regarding who gets the benefits and wears the responsibility for GST, excise, and pretty much everything else just go away.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #41
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
The best way out of this whole revenue sharing mess is simple - abolish the states.

They are an unneccessary additional tier of government we could do without. There is no reason why we need separate health, police, and education authorities throughout the country, duplicating legislation, overheads and costs. Three levels of government for 20 million people? What rubbish.

If that were done, the arguments regarding who gets the benefits and wears the responsibility for GST, excise, and pretty much everything else just go away.
The state's aren't going anywhere as long as the constitution we have now remains. And the only event I can see which would even have the possibility of altering or making a new constitution is the change from Queen to President as head of state. Personally, I don't have a problem with the states, when it comes to foreign matters, the Commonwealth should be have control. But for internal affairs, such as police, hospitals and education, why shouldn't the state's have control.

It allows a more local and hands on approach that the federal government would never hope to achieve, and is the perfect counter checking system, and allows for the already abused concept of Seperation of Powers to have a relatively wide scope. Instead of one goverment making mistakes and destroying the ENTIRE health system, its is minimised to just one area, which then can be fixed more easily then a national health problem.

And the crap about local government running hospitals and the local police dosn't cut it. Maybe in America, I'm not sure how well their system works, but here in Australia, the local council's half the time couldn't run a lemonade stand for their kids. It's pathetic.

Personally, I would prefer to see Queensland breakaway from the rest of the country. I think we've been held back for too long! :nutsycuck
Old 18-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #42
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
The actual partition was for the removal of the fuel excise, not the Gst.
See quote:-

Quote:
but also that we should not be taxed twice on our fuel
Maybe you have all this time to play with your hands and feet but I don't so get your facts correct before being a smart a$$

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #43
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasker1986
Look i think your all just going a bit overboard i can afford this fuel prices no worries i still think it is a *** load of ***** and i believe it needs to be re-assessed i think the rest of the population would agree that this is ridiculous and just stupid.! I reckon we should stop exporting and paying 10 times as much per barrel and start our own refineries and make other countries buy it off us.. It's a dog eat dog world out their and the pussy's just get fkd over! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! my 2c's
You had better grab your shovel and start looking then, because if you want to cut Australia off from the rest of the world, theres about 30% (this figure is growing) of our domestic consumption that you need to come up with.

Why do you think we participate in the international market? Because we're no where near self sufficiency.

Quote:
It makes me laugh how everyone complains about increases in petrol, but when someone comes up with an idea that may or may not work we all have reasons why someone is trying to do something is wasting their time.
I spend a significant amount of time and effort telling people to quit their whinging and accept the reality of the situation.

Dropping tax on fuel will make the whole situation 10 times worse. Its amazing what people are willing to do to their planet and to their future for a measly 40c/L.

Quote:
I second this notion. I'll vote yes on this before i vote yes on a republic
Old 18-08-2006, 05:13 PM   #44
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so get your facts correct before being a smart a$$
Oh well, my bad then, but the partition was for the having of the fuel excise, not GST. Even Beethoven had his critics!