Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Parking In Neutral vs. In Gear
I park in Neutral 26 12.44%
I park in Gear 120 57.42%
I understand the difference between both and do what is needed 63 30.14%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #31
HSE2

I get the car to hold on the park brake before selecting either park or 1st gear if it is a manual. I never let the transmission take the weight of the car. Apply the footbrake- apply handbrake (using the detent button) -release foot brake for car to move -then select the transmission gear.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 06:53 PM   #32
Uni

i park with the handbrake on on a flat surface, and on hills i park with the car in reverse and HB on. on hills i always park with it in reverse so that if some nong tries to start it in gear the back of my car gets munted and not the expensive pointy end :

i'm trying to get into the habit of putting it in gear on the flat

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #33
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
I get the car to hold on the park brake before selecting either park or 1st gear if it is a manual. I never let the transmission take the weight of the car. Apply the footbrake- apply handbrake (using the detent button) -release foot brake for car to move -then select the transmission gear.
Bingo.... we have a winner!! :king:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #34
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Very Good!!!

Only on a slope (even a gentle one) though, on a level surface like in the garage it doesn't matter. If in the garage I dont use the handbrake as there's no need. I even just leave it in 'N' in the garage at home.

With a manual car, I do the following:
In the garage - neither handbrake nor in gear.
On a slope - handbrake and in first gear.
In the carpark at work where no-one will bump me - only in gear.
In the shopping centre carpark where its relatively level - handbrake only.

Two things:
I don't want to stretch or wear the handbrake cable unnecessarily.
I don't want it in gear when someone nudges the car like at the shopping centre.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #35
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I forgot to mention...

If parallel parked on a slope with a kerb next to the car, I also turn the front wheels toward the kerb, so if it rolls, it will run toward the kerb and hopefully help it stop.
Old 13-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #36
bob^
LPS

My BA's auto takes the weight of the car when parked on an incline as the handbrake won't hold it...
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #37
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat289
You " NEVER " park a truck in gear !!!!!!!
And if the truck is auto, there usually isn't a park gear... you park it in neutral.

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #38
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
My BA's auto takes the weight of the car when parked on an incline as the handbrake won't hold it...
I'd be worried. Suggest you get the handbrake correctly adjusted.
Old 13-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #39
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

at work i use the hand brake to stop it and then jump out. with my car i can't remember as it has been to long.
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 09:57 PM   #40
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Very Good!!!

Only on a slope (even a gentle one) though, on a level surface like in the garage it doesn't matter. If in the garage I dont use the handbrake as there's no need. I even just leave it in 'N' in the garage at home.

With a manual car, I do the following:
In the garage - neither handbrake nor in gear.
On a slope - handbrake and in first gear.
In the carpark at work where no-one will bump me - only in gear.
In the shopping centre carpark where its relatively level - handbrake only.

Two things:
I don't want to stretch or wear the handbrake cable unnecessarily.
I don't want it in gear when someone nudges the car like at the shopping centre.
Sounds like you could write a thesis on parking a car.

Stuff me. I just pull on the handbrake, chuck it in park, turn off the engine and climb out the door. That's complex enough for me.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 10:19 PM   #41
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
Sounds like you could write a thesis on parking a car.

Stuff me. I just pull on the handbrake, chuck it in park, turn off the engine and climb out the door. That's complex enough for me.
Just looking after the car to avoid unnecessary wear and tear. This way the handbrakes there for when I really need it.
Old 13-08-2006, 11:29 PM   #42
aumexican

Think about kids (yours or others) in or around the car and get in the habit of using both in case the unthinkable happens.
aumexican is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 01:15 AM   #43
Steffo
LPG > You

With my Fiesta (and any manual), on a slope with the nost pointing down, I park in 1st gear with the handbrake up.

On a slope with the rear pointing down, I leave it in reverse with the handbrake up.

On flat surfaces I leave it in neutral with the handbrake up.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 01:53 AM   #44
anakha

Funny story. I once parked my manual ED on a steep hill. At that time I was not in the practice of leaving it in gear. When I returned about 15 min later it had rolled downhill and miraculously stopped mere centimetres from another parked car. Must have moved 10 metres. To my amazement I had left the keys in the car. A good samaritan who lived across the road saw the car slowly rolling back and came over and tightened the handbrake and put it in gear

Only time I ever forgot to take the keys but what luck! I always do it these days. Handbrake is not reliable when the car is on a slope.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 02:48 AM   #45
one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
With my Fiesta (and any manual), on a slope with the nost pointing down, I park in 1st gear with the handbrake up.

On a slope with the rear pointing down, I leave it in reverse with the handbrake up.

: The right idea but wrong way around. Always 1st gear uphill and reverse gear downhill. Its not nessessary to leave your car in gear on a level surface but always good practice.(manual)

The handbrake is the first thing to be applied and the last thing to be released.(auto or manual)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 04:29 AM   #46
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by one
: The right idea but wrong way around. Always 1st gear uphill and reverse gear downhill. Its not nessessary to leave your car in gear on a level surface but always good practice.(manual)

The handbrake is the first thing to be applied and the last thing to be released.(auto or manual)
When I bought the car I actually tested my theory. In first on a hill it just rolled straight down, in reverse it didn't move (rear pointing down the hill) and the opposite was true when the car was turned around.

Also when we were working on one of my mate's cars, '97 Seat Cordoba GLX, manual, with the car up, front wheels (its FWD), in first, you could turn the wheel backwards with one hand, easily, but you couldn't make it budge to go fowards, and likewise in reverse it would go forwards easily but not move backwards.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 02:01 PM   #47
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

When you pull the handbrake up are you supposed to hold the button in or not? I always pull it up without holding the button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 02:09 PM   #48
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
When you pull the handbrake up are you supposed to hold the button in or not? I always pull it up without holding the button.
It’s a pet hate of mine. Drives me crazy so I am going to say don't do it. My old man used to hit me around the ears if I forgot but in reality it probably doesn't matter. You have to understand how it works to see any reasoning on why you should do it one way or another, but the reason not to, apart from the horrible noise, is to do with mechanical sympathy.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #49
NA XR6
!!

Quote:
Same a mine
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #50
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo

I'm sure i was taught the opposite.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #51
one

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXR8BLOKE
I'm sure i was taught the opposite.
You most certainly were.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #52
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LOL. If I did that it would cost me and almost every other BA owner $60 each and every fortnight as thats how long it takes before they reach their limit after an adjustment. Ford charges $60 per adjust. BA handbrakes are cr4p.
Old 14-08-2006, 06:11 PM   #53
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Before the auto packed it in I always relied on just whacking it into park and not worrying about the hand brake, But now when I park the GT I put it in neutral with my foot on the brake apply the hand brake and then take my foot of the brake then put the car in park, no stress on the auto.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 09:29 PM   #54
bob^
LPS

Quote:
Been there done that, 7 times. I gave up in the end. It was either a very weak handbrake, or a car that constantly went SHH SHHH SHHH SHH as you drove.
I don't park it on many inclines so opted for the first one.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 10:03 PM   #55
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Been there done that, 7 times. I gave up in the end. It was either a very weak handbrake, or a car that constantly went SHH SHHH SHHH SHH as you drove.
I don't park it on many inclines so opted for the first one.
My handbrake was readjusted a couple of weeks ago during its service, and its still tight as a drum. 3 clicks to max, and its tight. Perhaps they're not adjusting it correctly, or a problem with it?
Old 14-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #56
DazBA
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
LOL. If I did that it would cost me and almost every other BA owner $60 each and every fortnight as thats how long it takes before they reach their limit after an adjustment. Ford charges $60 per adjust. BA handbrakes are cr4p.
What is it with BA handbrakes??? Mine does this too, and it $h!ts me no end. Why can't Ford get something as basic as a handbrake to work properly. The POS Mitsubishi workvan I drive has a handbrake which is 1000 times better than the BA.
DazBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #57
feebs
BrwnBstd

BA's do have a ***** handbrake..
but if your getting a shh shh shh when driving then your handbrake is LOOSE.

Have a bigger winge next time you get it serviced.. or maybe just learn how to fix it yourself. I am mates with my mechanic, I nag him all the time and I still have to park in P.
:-(
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #58
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

I always park in gear with the handbrake. Even in perfectly flat concrete basement of our building.

Not because its needed - because its a good habit. When i park on a hill, i put it in gear and use the handbrake without thinking about it... because that's how i park habitually.

EDIT: Oh, and the POS i drive at the moment runs on a bit when you kill the ignition on a cold night, so gotta pop the clutch in 1st to get the bloody thing to stall
Old 15-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #59
Low Orbit
Audio Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
It's a mechanical thing. After years of pulling up on the handbrake without releasing the button first will wear the pawls out. After that happens there is nothing stopping the handbrake from leaping free. I've been told that in the UK you actually fail your driving exam if you don't do this.

Anyway, being an auto, it's almost always left in park, with the handbrake on. Usual hill rules apply.
Old 15-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #60
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

handbrake on flat ground, gear (if i remember) on an incline... handbrake hasnt failed me yet! also a few mates always start their cars in gear instead of nuetral so i do what ever the situation is

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post