Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: What's your opinion on teen pregnancy?
I think no girl under 20 should have a baby 41 28.47%
I think no girl should get pregnant out of wedlock 19 13.19%
I think it depends on a couple’s situation (living arrangements, financials, etc) 70 48.61%
If a girl wants a baby bad enough, she should be able to, without people telling her otherwise 21 14.58%
I think that all girls should have a baby at a young age 3 2.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #31
gozza

thats true....but the amount of sexual conotation in everything these days is discusting

like using a sexy model dancing around half cut for a handwash...or for cereal.....

where are the parents you ask?.......parents aren't superman....they can't be everywhere at once....

as a parent you can raise your child to certain standards and hope your parenting leads them to making the right decision for themselves
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #32
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
thats true....but the amount of sexual conotation in everything these days is discusting

like using a sexy model dancing around half cut for a handwash...or for cereal.....

where are the parents you ask?.......parents aren't superman....they can't be everywhere at once....

as a parent you can raise your child to certain standards and hope your parenting leads them to making the right decision for themselves
I agree, there is too much of that stuff on tv, but then a lot of young girls watch stuff like that but not too many end up in that kind of trouble. If an 11 year old girl is out having sex with some bloke, I think there are more serious problems than what she is watching on tv. I have a 12 year old daughter and I assure you that she is NOT out there doing that kind of thing, EVER and wont be for a long time - its about parents taking responsibility for their teenagers.

You dont have to be superhuman to know where they are and what they are doing at age 11, although I do admit it gets harder as they get older, but its still do-able.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 03:09 PM   #33
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
You dont have to be a teenage Mum to be a single parent, and not all single parents are young and irresponsible, and not all children growing up with a single parent are/grow up warped.
No no no, sorry, that’s now what I meant. Im not having a go at single parents at all. What im talking about is what I've seen it in some suburbs of Sydney (and I guess its all over Aus), these 16 and 17-year-old girls with no support from the father, no job and doing it tough. Most of the pregnancies are unplanned, and that makes it hard.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #34
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron
No no no, sorry, that’s now what I meant. Im not having a go at single parents at all. What im talking about is what I've seen it in some suburbs of Sydney (and I guess its all over Aus), these 16 and 17-year-old girls with no support from the father, no job and doing it tough. Most of the pregnancies are unplanned, and that makes it hard.
Sorry Aeron, I was NOT referring to your post, its cool mate and I certainly was not having a go at anyone in any other post, Im sorry if it came across that way! I was just saying my opinion based on my own experiences, as are others.

For the record though, the single parent stereotype comes from somewhere and there are unfortunately too many bad ones to give the rest of us a bad name.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #35
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
I agree, there is too much of that stuff on tv, but then a lot of young girls watch stuff like that but not too many end up in that kind of trouble. If an 11 year old girl is out having sex with some bloke, I think there are more serious problems than what she is watching on tv. I have a 12 year old daughter and I assure you that she is NOT out there doing that kind of thing, EVER and wont be for a long time - its about parents taking responsibility for their teenagers.

You dont have to be superhuman to know where they are and what they are doing at age 11, although I do admit it gets harder as they get older, but its still do-able.
Im with you 100% sure there is alot of sexual based stuff on TV evan for me it gets a bit annoying and im the target audience!

To be honest with you, out of all my close friends, it was the one who was let down by his parents that ended up with lower standards in every respect and ended up being a teenage dad.

On a side note you would be horified to know how many Teen Girls (15-16) think the 'Baby Bonus' will cover all the costs and almost use it as an incentive :
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 03:37 PM   #36
big_pete
Sublime

i think its a good slogan.
its more aimed at the irresponsible teens
those that are responsible enough to have kids should see it as a warning to those that arent.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:43 PM   #37
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

i only have a problem with it if they (the parents) are not completely aware of what having a child involves, i know a couple that are having a kid just for the baby bonus so they can buy a boat, she is just 18 and he is 22, she works at maccas and he works at KFC. they cant pay rent and have no food. plus all their friends are drug fukd... things like this bother me... but if there is a stable and loving environment to bring up a kid then go for it, your age dosent matter.... (i hope that made sense)

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #38
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonko351
i only have a problem with it if they (the parents) are not completely aware of what having a child involves, i know a couple that are having a kid just for the baby bonus so they can buy a boat, she is just 18 and he is 22, she works at maccas and he works at KFC. they cant pay rent and have no food. plus all their friends are drug fukd... things like this bother me... but if there is a stable and loving environment to bring up a kid then go for it, your age dosent matter.... (i hope that made sense)
Makes sence to me. (What you said not what they are doing : )
Old 02-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #39
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Im with you 100% sure there is alot of sexual based stuff on TV evan for me it gets a bit annoying and im the target audience!

To be honest with you, out of all my close friends, it was the one who was let down by his parents that ended up with lower standards in every respect and ended up being a teenage dad.

On a side note you would be horified to know how many Teen Girls (15-16) think the 'Baby Bonus' will cover all the costs and almost use it as an incentive :
I remember being on a train (years ago, before Baby Bonus times) out to Gawler (an outer Northern suburb here in Adelaide) and I was listening to a couple of girls chatting on the seat behind me. I would estimate they were around 15 or so, given the fact that they were discussing leaving school at the end of year 10, that year to have babies.

They were both saying that their parents would let them leave school at the end of year 10 if they were pregnant, and that their boyfriends wont care and they were talking about all the "benefits" of having a baby, such as all the welfare payments, the Health Care Card, the cheap public transport and movies at the cinema, the Housing Trust houses they would get if they were "kicked out of home because of being pregnant" and in need of emergency housing and how they would not have to get a job until their baby turned 16. They planned to be on the Single Parents Pension somehow forever, planning to keep on having kids to make sure they could go from the Single Parents Pension to the "Old Age Pension". They thought it was quite funny that they could not work a day in their entire life and I found it ironic that they thought all of those benefits would actually CUT IT for being a parent!

At the time, I was a single parent of a one year old and a 4 year old, studying law on an overload and working full time, paying for private health cover for my kids, paying private rent and getting nothing for free, aside from a moderate amount of family payment which was adjusted according to my income.

Its these kinds of people I have a problem with, regardless of age. I just wonder how these girls grew up with this mentality, what their parents were doing, why their parents didnt get involved (doing something like this would indicate that the parents were more than just a little slack with their daughters!) and what sort of upbringing and culture enabled these girls to discuss things like that, in the same way I used to discuss what I got for a year 10 maths test, when I was that age! It was so casual!

I should stop ranting... LOL

Old 02-05-2006, 04:09 PM   #40
gozza

thats discusting man...i hate the naive people in this world....poor kids need to wrap themselves in there own imbilicale(sp) cord before they enter the world...which is not pleasant cos i did it....(not on purpose) lol

this brings up another issue also

STDs are sky rocketing
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #41
HOON69
Banned

too many teens are having babies and too many are on welfare and then they become dependant on that payment/s and never get off it and become "stuck in the system" and then that follows through to their kids and their kids etc etc etc

if your responsible enough and over the legal age then i see no reason why you cannot have children as long as your looking after the child yourself supplying it with its needs and not going to use the kid as a excuse to get easy money from the tax payers of australia.

my wife had my first child when i was just 18-19 and i have to the day we have 4 great kids and im only mid 20's,responsiblity is the main key not the ages of the mums having them,theres great and responsible teens whom work study and supply for their kids and then theres some whom rort the system for the 600per child allowance each year and the advance loans and the 3grand maternity allowance etc they are the ones who ruin it for the rest.
its all in the mind and i feel im responsible enough to bring them into the world
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 04:31 PM   #42
big_pete
Sublime

well i just got reminded that Wagga has the Highest Rate of Teen preganancy in Australia.

Pretty sad really. as im sure alot are the irrisponsible teens everyone is talking about i this thread
Old 02-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #43
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
They were both saying that their parents would let them leave school at the end of year 10 if they were pregnant
What sort of parent tells there Son/Daughter that?

Infact what sort of parent has that conversation?

Says alot for the Parents, my mum would have kicked my A$$ from here to the Moon and back if i got a girl pregnant at 15 -16, infact she would kick my A$$ Now (Like she should).
Old 02-05-2006, 05:48 PM   #44
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
What sort of parent tells there Son/Daughter that?

Infact what sort of parent has that conversation?

Says alot for the Parents, my mum would have kicked my A$$ from here to the Moon and back if i got a girl pregnant at 15 -16, infact she would kick my A$$ Now (Like she should).
I honestly dont know. I would suspect that the girls assumed that by implication. It sort implied a few possibilities: that their parents dont really care about their schooling full stop, that it wouldnt take much for the parents to let them leave school as they dont value education for their kids, or perhaps that the parents were no different themselves. Perhaps the parents left school early because they were pregnant, or something similar and the girls assume that is the way it is...

I know I havent had any conversation LIKE that with my 12 year old and I dont see the need to get into any of that with her yet, she is still a child.

Perhaps I am naive..

Old 02-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #45
Inferno
Mr Forty Seven

Although at 18 your still a "Teen"ager, you are considered an Adult legally. Like the others said, it's for the younger crowd from getting knocked up.

Also Featuring

NFERNO Registration Plates
ELXR Front Bar & Bonnet with Sequential Scoop
18x8 Graphite Rims, Genie Extractors and Exhaust, Chrome Moulds
ELGT Steering Wheel, Clear Repeators, Cornering Lamps, Tinted Windows
Walnut Highlights, Pionner DEH-P9650MP Headunit & Pro-Series Speakers

Local Playground: Brisbane CBD and surrounding suburbs
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #46
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
I honestly dont know. I would suspect that the girls assumed that by implication. It sort implied a few possibilities: that their parents dont really care about their schooling full stop, that it wouldnt take much for the parents to let them leave school as they dont value education for their kids, or perhaps that the parents were no different themselves. Perhaps the parents left school early because they were pregnant, or something similar and the girls assume that is the way it is...

I know I havent had any conversation LIKE that with my 12 year old and I dont see the need to get into any of that with her yet, she is still a child.

Perhaps I am naive..
Information is one thing, but telling someone 15-16 that if you get pregnant you can leave school is another :
Old 02-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #47
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
I am appalled. I just came across this website:

http://www.teenpregnancy.org/

Now, don't get me wrong, I think YOUNG girls getting pregnant may not be the best idea in the world, but I am outraged at the slogan:

Preventing Teen Pregnancy

Me and my partner are both 19 (going on 20) and we are expecting very soon and looking forward to it too. We are both in good jobs, live by ourselves in our own house, and have been doing so for quite some time.

Now tell me, why should someone PREVENT my partner from getting pregnant. I am so p***ed off at some orgs making over-generalised comments etc... just like how females should not get boob jobs till they are well over 20.... that sort of stuff varies from person to person.

Fair enough there are pro's and cons about having a baby at a young age, but I will never regret it, therefore, who's to say teen pregnancy is a bad thing for ALL teens?

What’s your opinion?
I think its all about the 13 and 14 year olds. Not the 19 year olds with jobs and financial security. Classing all teenagers is a fairly broad range. From 13 to 19. 2 very different age groups.

Don't take offence to the website. I agree stop teenage pregnancies. At 18 you are an adult. Good to see 19 year olds experiencing a family young. If you were 13, then it would be different.

I had my first at 31
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #48
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
or perhaps that the parents were no different themselves. Perhaps the parents left school early because they were pregnant, or something similar and the girls assume that is the way it is...

Perhaps I am naive..
Most kids my age (18) with parents you had them young are very anti-sex for them. They say that whilst the child wasn't neccesarily an accident (yeah right), they'd never do it at a young age again.

You'd be suprised on the age thing.. When I went into year 7 (2001) a 13 year old girl in my class had allready had sex. It didn't take more than a year or two for a few (at least) more girls to follow.. I don't know what was worse.. The fact that some did it with quite older guys (if I remember right, it was illegal difference here), or the fact that they were doing it with guys their age/younger.. As wrong as it seems do be doing it with older guys, at least they'd have some sort of more 'advanced' sex ed, for the girls sake.

Of course, I think it has a lot to do with parenting, and how the kids are brought up..
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #49
little_blondie

im 15 and i would not even consider having a baby. Life can be very hard from time to time but to try and bring up a child when you are so young and you dont have that much experience about life will make it even harder. Your friends will still be going to school and you will loose contact with them because you want have any time to study and then you wont have a job because you have no time. If the father is your age he will p##s off and you wont have anymoney to bring it up.
Going out on the weekends with friends i dont reckon is enough time now at my age but when your 17 18 and you have a baby you will have no time for anything.

14-19
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:15 PM   #50
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think depending on the circumstances. But theres way too many young girls 15-17 with young kid/s.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #51
little_blondie

Default Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Most kids my age (18) with parents you had them young are very anti-sex for them. They say that whilst the child wasn't neccesarily an accident (yeah right), they'd never do it at a young age again.

You'd be suprised on the age thing.. When I went into year 7 (2001) a 13 year old girl in my class had allready had sex. It didn't take more than a year or two for a few (at least) more girls to follow.. I don't know what was worse.. The fact that some did it with quite older guys (if I remember right, it was illegal difference here), or the fact that they were doing it with guys their age/younger.. As wrong as it seems do be doing it with older guys, at least they'd have some sort of more 'advanced' sex ed, for the girls sake.

Of course, I think it has a lot to do with parenting, and how the kids are brought up..
Most kids have had sex all ready by the time there in year 7 its just a thing now... its noy like there doing that much anymore to become something that there friends are its just because they fell ready
Old 02-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #52
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:

It's just the way our world is, they can pretend to be angels when it comes to their parents. But still get drunk, have sex by just lieing which is pretty easy. It's just wrong at such a young age!
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #53
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_blondie
Most kids have had sex all ready by the time there in year 7 its just a thing now... its noy like there doing that much anymore to become something that there friends are its just because they fell ready
Umm, no. I doubt any 12 year old kid who really understands the consequances feel's they're ready. They do it because of what their friends do, and what they see on TV etc.. They then think it's allright to do it, and that there's no harm in it either.
You really think a 12 year old feels ready to financially support a baby? Get real mate, they don't have the slightest clue of what could happen.

FWIW - All the girls I know who had sexual intercourse in years 7/8 or before (about 8-10 of them off the top of my head), now regret it (year 12 now)... Some VERY much so.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:29 PM   #54
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nni
It's just the way our world is, they can pretend to be angels when it comes to their parents. But still get drunk, have sex by just lieing which is pretty easy. It's just wrong at such a young age!
True, but I think if a child is brought up in the right environment, even when they're drunk, they're not going to do it. Plenty of kids would feel guilty towards their parents if they did it, IME.

Also, i've found through friends/others in schools around me, that the one's who have really over protective parents are the ones who go out and rebel against their parents wishes, whilst kids with parents who are more open about the subject, yet voice their disconcern (and openly tell them why) about sex etc are the ones who don't do it till later years.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #55
little_blondie

Quote:
Umm, no. I doubt any 12 year old kid who really understands the consequances feel's they're ready. They do it because of what their friends do, and what they see on TV etc.. They then think it's allright to do it, and that there's no harm in it either.
You really think a 12 year old feels ready to financially support a baby? Get real mate, they don't have the slightest clue of what could happen.

FWIW - All the girls I know who had sexual intercourse in years 7/8 or before (about 8-10 of them off the top of my head), now regret it (year 12 now)... Some VERY much so.
Wasn't talking about them having a baby i was talking about them having S.E.X
Old 02-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #56
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_blondie
Wasn't talking about them having a baby i was talking about them having S.E.X
S.E.X leads to babies! (Yes, even that protected kind).

My sisters best friend (21y.o) just fell pregnant about a month or two ago.. Whilst using the pill and condoms. Go figure.

Also, I was talking about people who had SEX (not babies) in years 7/8 or below regretting it later.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #57
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Also, i've found through friends/others in schools around me, that the one's who have really over protective parents are the ones who go out and rebel against their parents wishes, whilst kids with parents who are more open about the subject, yet voice their disconcern (and openly tell them why) about sex etc are the ones who don't do it till later years.
I'm glad to hear this from a young person (younger than me anyway) My wife and I are very open about the facts of life with my 16yo daughter. We have a huge trust in her, to the point we sent her off to Sth Africa on student exchange last year for 10 weeks. She is too focussed on her law studies at the moment and has no time for boys. This will change I know, but all her self motivation is coming from within and not being thrust on her by us. There is little doubt that is most cases the off spring are a product of good parenting. The real losers to iresponsible teenage parents is the liitle ones that have no say in their lot in life.
There is no ideology or government policy that change the problem of babies having babies, only the babies parents.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #58
alesia
Banned

Im 18 and i have a few friends and other people i know that have been pregnant...
A Few of them had the baby and then took off dumping the baby at parents or grandparents, so they can still have the life they are used to i supposed.
BUT i have to honestly say that people can suprise you when you least expect it...
One of my now very close friends got pregnant early last year she was 16, i thought that she would just dump the kid (she dropped out of school in year 9 and didnt really do anything with herself , and she had not had a great life)but she definatly proved me wrong, once Abby was born she became the best mother i think i know, she showed that child more love and care by herself (more then i have experienced in my whole life from my mother) and although abby tragically died for SIDS only a few months after , she matured beyond her age and it has put her life in prospective and has a plan for what she wants to do ........
Jess is one great example that not all young pregnancies fit the stereotype.

I think that sometimes it doesnt have anything to do with a persons upbringing , based on my mothers prospective on life, i would have been pregnant at 15 and on welfare, where as jess's folks would have had her in University.

So yeah sorry to rant on all finished now
alesia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #59
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesia
Im 18 and i have a few friends and other people i know that have been pregnant...
A Few of them had the baby and then took off dumping the baby at parents or grandparents, so they can still have the life they are used to i supposed.
BUT i have to honestly say that people can suprise you when you least expect it...
One of my now very close friends got pregnant early last year she was 16, i thought that she would just dump the kid (she dropped out of school in year 9 and didnt really do anything with herself , and she had not had a great life)but she definatly proved me wrong, once Abby was born she became the best mother i think i know, she showed that child more love and care by herself (more then i have experienced in my whole life from my mother) and although abby tragically died for SIDS only a few months after , she matured beyond her age and it has put her life in prospective and has a plan for what she wants to do ........
Jess is one great example that not all young pregnancies fit the stereotype.

I think that sometimes it doesnt have anything to do with a persons upbringing , based on my mothers prospective on life, i would have been pregnant at 15 and on welfare, where as jess's folks would have had her in University.

So yeah sorry to rant on all finished now
That is a good point Alesia, sad too. It high lights the fact that we cant plonk ALL teenage mums in the same basket. I have read some comments in these threads and some comments are purely based on political dogma and not human facts. And it was far from a rant.
Cheers.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #60
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

What a crock.
As a guy, dont try to tell me Im wrong.
A teenage male, whats all he thinks about it highschool....... thats right SEX if you say no your a bloody liar.
the age for having sex nowdays is alot lower than what it was when i was a kid mind you i was 14 not that it matters.
theres also alot more STD's goin around.
I think its up to every parent to discuss sex and protection with their children to make sure that sex is a sacred thing, if your goin to do it, atleast be prepared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post