Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #31
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I Messed Up Bad! Help Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Yeah, that's cheap as bro!
Which is why I'm not professionally respraying Hahaha.

Also, I plan on touching up carefully then applying a new sticky thing to cover up the slight colour difference.

Oh and by the way, funny story update. I took my car in to get its cooler installed this morning. Guy leaves the cooler and some tools on top of the enginebay grill thing and steps outside for a minute and hears a massive bang and comes running back in. Basically a big gust of wind (very bad weather today) made tbe bonnet slam down. The lock hook conveniently landed just so that it put a massive hole through the cooler rendering it useless, and in the process his tools ricocheted and cracked my radiator side thing. Long story short the poor bloke has now just ordered a new cooler and a new radiator at his cost and is installing it tomorrow. I did feel bad for him when he told me that the bill for him is coming to around $890, so I told him that I would pay him an extra $70, $350 instead of $280, which is all I can afford in my impoverished uni student state.

I swear my car must be cursed or something lol

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #32
PaulXR50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe if you called it Christine it will fix itself...lol

Sorry to hear the bad luck - is never good when happens to one of your prized possessions.
PaulXR50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #33
snopony

Vinyl wrap the whole thing lol
snopony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #34
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Which is why I'm not professionally respraying Hahaha.

Also, I plan on touching up carefully then applying a new sticky thing to cover up the slight colour difference.

Oh and by the way, funny story update. I took my car in to get its cooler installed this morning. Guy leaves the cooler and some tools on top of the enginebay grill thing and steps outside for a minute and hears a massive bang and comes running back in. Basically a big gust of wind (very bad weather today) made tbe bonnet slam down. The lock hook conveniently landed just so that it put a massive hole through the cooler rendering it useless, and in the process his tools ricocheted and cracked my radiator side thing. Long story short the poor bloke has now just ordered a new cooler and a new radiator at his cost and is installing it tomorrow. I did feel bad for him when he told me that the bill for him is coming to around $890, so I told him that I would pay him an extra $70, $350 instead of $280, which is all I can afford in my impoverished uni student state.

I swear my car must be cursed or something lol
At least the bonnet didn't get damaged
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #35
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Sticker bomb it like all the kids are doing.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #36
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
At least the bonnet didn't get damaged

Pity...
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 12:13 AM   #37
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hate to revive an old thread here, but I'm finally getting around to removing the last of the protector and actually dealing with the issue at hand rather than running and hiding. I have a couple questions :

1) How do I find out the colour codes for a BAII Fairlane?
2) Are there any detailed instructions on how to diy like this. For example do I sand down a large area or what?
3) Do body shops do spot/patch repairs or is it just full panels. If they do spot repairs, how much would I be expecting?

Thanks for the help fellas and yes, I WILL finally post photos once I get the protector off. I plan on doing that this Friday.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Old 06-07-2016, 12:59 AM   #38
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plenty of mobile paint repair businesses that will do touch ups. Best is to osintvwhole panel as a minimum but a good operator will work wonders for a budget job
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 01:51 AM   #39
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on your plans for the car, and you should assess the overall condition of the bonnet.
The only time I have seen paint peal as you described, was a poor quality repair job.
You might want to consider stripping the whole bonnet, doing a proper prep, and respraying.
There will be plenty of guides out there, either google or look in the appropriate boards. But for now I would stress the importance of proper preparation. If you get a professional to do the final colour and top-coat, its a waste of money unless you have done a proper job on the prep.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #40
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I'm about to head to the shop and buy some spray cans, clear coat and primer for the job.

Does anyone know the colour codes for Ford Fairlane BA with paint listed as "09" on the sticker thing. I believe its lightning strike silver but still. I need the code to give to the people mixing up the paint and I don't think "09" is going to cut it.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #41
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

O9 Lightning Strike is all the info they should need. If in doubt take a mirror or your fuel filler door in for them to match as well.

edit: sorry pc messing up, had to restart to fix post.

Last edited by Junkyard-Dog; 06-07-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 07:10 PM   #42
Matty4
Banana

Post up a photo.
If it's quite a small area that needs a repair I'd be going with the touch up as the preferred option, especially if you can conceal it again if you're going to put the bonnet protector back on.
Once you sand that damaged area then you'll need to essentially respray the whole bonnet. You'll need to possibly sand with probably a 320 just to feather the edges, but once you've done that then you'll need primer, colour and then clear coat. Each layer needs to overlap the one before, so you'll end up with a large repair. Being a light metallic too, it will look slightly different due the metallics laying down in a different pattern to the original finish. Then you'll also have the issue of blending your new clear into the original clear.

To avoid this, use a small, long bristled touch up brush. If you've already bought your cans of base and clear coat, spray out some base coat into a small cup and add maybe 20% clear into the cup as well and dab the paint on, don't brush as you'll create brush strokes.
You may need to do 3 or so coats to try and fill it up to the level of the original paint. Take your time between layers to allow it to dry.

Best of luck
Old 06-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #43
Mooka

Bog and Matt black race stripes 😉
Mooka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #44
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
Post up a photo.
If it's quite a small area that needs a repair I'd be going with the touch up as the preferred option, especially if you can conceal it again if you're going to put the bonnet protector back on.
Once you sand that damaged area then you'll need to essentially respray the whole bonnet. You'll need to possibly sand with probably a 320 just to feather the edges, but once you've done that then you'll need primer, colour and then clear coat. Each layer needs to overlap the one before, so you'll end up with a large repair. Being a light metallic too, it will look slightly different due the metallics laying down in a different pattern to the original finish. Then you'll also have the issue of blending your new clear into the original clear.

To avoid this, use a small, long bristled touch up brush. If you've already bought your cans of base and clear coat, spray out some base coat into a small cup and add maybe 20% clear into the cup as well and dab the paint on, don't brush as you'll create brush strokes.
You may need to do 3 or so coats to try and fill it up to the level of the original paint. Take your time between layers to allow it to dry.

Best of luck
I'll be chucking up a photo tomorrow. I need to use a heat gun and the am currently at the parents house. They dont have a garage so I'd need about 4 extension cords to run the heat gun out from the house to the driveway. I'm removing tomorrow when I go to a friends place though.

And yes, 09 lightning strike silver was all they needed. I'm picking up the paint today

Old 08-07-2016, 12:18 AM   #45
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the newest of delay in my epic saga of bad luck, failures and general dimwittedness. Torrential rain in Auckland (I just drove home in it at 1am and its damn near lethal. The only cars on the road were cops, there was a staggering number of them, and had one stop me on the onramp and warn me about how bad the motorway was) is probably going to end up delaying this whole fiasco by a day or so until it clears up a bit. Can't delay it any further however as I'm flying back down to Dunedin on Monday and so I need to get this job done this weekend as there's no other option.

I DID however pick up the correct paint and all the stuff I need to get the job done, so hopefully it should be smooth sailing from here weather forbidding. You guys reckon its imperative the weather be good when I do the work? Or can I just chuck it under a carport and get the job done in the shelter while it ****** down around me.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #46
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

You would be better off in a fully enclosed garage if possible (face mask recommended) any moisture in the air can and probably will have an effect on the process. If I were you, and from what I can gather, it's not really an urgent repair ?? I would wait until you get some fine weather and a bit of warmth before doing it or chances are you will be back to square one shortly after applying :(
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #47
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the problem is I fly back down to Otago in 3 days, so I need to get this finished before then as I am leaving it sitting in the driveway of my parents house till I come back for mid semester break. That's easily 7-8 weeks away and in this weather its quite possible that rust could start forming. I've attached a little picture for you all to see the extent of the peeling. I'll know how large the patches are once I peel the remove the remaining 1/3 of rock protector.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #48
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I just went down to the local paint and panel place to have them remove the rest of the rock protector. Guy goes "nah bro its easy. Look" and proceeds to rip it all off in one clean stroke and take all the paint with it.

So guess who's now getting their bonnet repainted free of cost cause an overeager apprentice jumped the gun. THIS FELLA!

Shot for all the help fellas. Looks like a string of bad luck has all ended up turning out for the better for the ol fairlane!

4 users like this post: