Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #31
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Drug testers at work and job losses

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
They may be spending dollars on adverts but its all smoke and mirrors.
I agree. I have seen lots of ads and signs about it, but haven't seen one RDT or RBT since this campaign started.

In 8 years driving I have been RBT'd 6 times and RDT's 0 times on the road. Not enough in my opinion.
I have been let past RBT's about 6 times as well, but considering I do 50,000kms a year I don't think coming across RBt's less than twice a year is enough.

For the work topic, I have noticed at some places the punishment depends on the employee. A hard working employee who is seen as cooperative can blow mid range for alcohol or show up ice in their system and the company will assist them in getting clean.
An employee with a bad rep can blow below 0.05 on the breath test and lose their job instantly.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #32
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My workplace has a strict no tolerance policy for drug & alcohol testing as we are bound by the Rail Safety Act (Vic).
I am an authorised tester & have my equipment with me 24/7 as I can be called out at any time.
I have been requested to perform testing by some of our biggest clients.
I've only had 2 non negative samples in over 4 years.

For those that are caught out in my industry I have absolutely no sympathy as they know what the requirements are when they do their training.
I want to have the confidence to know I am working with people who are not going to endanger myself, my staff & our clients when we are working.

My staff are either given a first & final warning or instant dismissal depending on the circumstances.

Last edited by Pinkbits; 11-12-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2015, 11:15 PM   #33
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
The one and only time I have been drug tested was a couple years back.
It took around 20 or so minutes from time I was stopped to time I drove off.
You must have got them on a slow day.

I've been tested 4 times Driving the Truck, each time I was stopped for about 10mins, tops.

As for the Smoke and Mirrors, my 18yo granddaughter has told me in the last month 3 people she knows have been tested here in town.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:54 PM   #34
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:

The one and only time I have been drug tested was a couple years back.

It took around 20 or so minutes from time I was stopped to time I drove off. They had 4 officers all doing the tests. Basically all 4 officers were sitting there waiting for 4 tests. All came back negative and we all drove off at the same time.

So looking at the time frame of each test. That is only 3 or so people being tested an hour times by each officer, there is 4 officers who will be there around 5 hours.3 X 4 = 12. 12 x 5 = 60. That basically only testing 60 drivers in 5 hours with 4 officers working the tests.While 1000 cars drive by.

I think for the time the test takes unless they do a major blitz on a busy road and with a lot of officers and stopping a large amount of cars, the return they get is not worth it for the time it takes.

My own opinion there should be more testing and the sooner we get drink and drug drivers off the road, off heavy machinery the better.

Drink driving on the other hand, will bring in the fines test a large amount of drivers in a short amount of time.

Last Sunday the dude with long dreadlocks in front of me was selected for a "random" drug test and I was only breath tested.
So I think their "random" tests are a little more targeted than we are led to believe. If you're not getting drug test roadside it's probably because you appear to me an upstanding member of our community.
If you are getting tested all the time, maybe it's time for a haircut and some new threads.
Top_Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #35
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
With the company I work for there is scope for drug and alcohol testing. According to the EBA if an employee tests positive to an illict substance then the company must assist with rehab and counselling. Obviously the employee must be a willing participant in this process. If the employee won't cooperate well then I guess there is scope to terminate employment but this can't happen up front.
So how's the company responsible for some halfwit who can't leave the glass shards alone? You test positive you get the boot, simple. I wouldn't want to work with a crack head or alcoholic.

Typical union rubbish right there!
7 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Last Sunday the dude with long dreadlocks in front of me was selected for a "random" drug test and I was only breath tested.
So I think their "random" tests are a little more targeted than we are led to believe. If you're not getting drug test roadside it's probably because you appear to me an upstanding member of our community.
If you are getting tested all the time, maybe it's time for a haircut and some new threads.
You may be right, i suspect the lack of drug testing comes back partially to the mighty dollar, obviously it costs money to pay people doing the testing, and if they do and they find heaps of people on drugs , they would them probably have a lot people suddenly on public transport and maybe without a job, (potential voters),
and those with serious drug problems they would have to eventually try and rehabilitate = more money ,

so its easier and cheaper to bluff the public and not upset the apple cart with the commercials and just find one or two at the occasional random drug testing and look good on the telly.... oh we are doing something .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2015, 03:37 PM   #37
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work now for NSW rural local government. It is much better than the years of putting up with inner city community. least you get a little warning and its mostly mental patients.

Last year there was much discussion about internal testing. The discussion was that the outdoor staff was infavour it was the casual indoor staff from the holliday community that was against.

I know of dismissal for alcohol and drugs, But it came under the guise of loss of drivers licence for more than 12 months or being locked up. Other cases resulted in assist with rehab and counselling.

Originally Posted by MDS69
With the company I work for there is scope for drug and alcohol testing. According to the EBA if an employee tests positive to an illict substance then the company must assist with rehab and counselling. Obviously the employee must be a willing participant in this process. If the employee won't cooperate well then I guess there is scope to terminate employment but this can't happen up front.

Much in the media about faulty drug testing. I have encountered many cases of suspect alcohol testing procedures in my driving life and see no different with drug testing in its early period.

Having worked with large numbers of functioning drunk and pot heads I never felt at risk. self medicating mentally ill and party druggies are more of a life risk.

Most supervisors are looking for that test that will be able to yes or no with no legal come back.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #38
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
You may be right, i suspect the lack of drug testing comes back partially to the mighty dollar, obviously it costs money to pay people doing the testing, and if they do and they find heaps of people on drugs , they would them probably have a lot people suddenly on public transport and maybe without a job, (potential voters),

and those with serious drug problems they would have to eventually try and rehabilitate = more money ,

so its easier and cheaper to bluff the public and not upset the apple cart with the commercials and just find one or two at the occasional random drug testing and look good on the telly.... oh we are doing something .

I also feel the police and pollies are fudging the numbers. Don't get me wrong, 1 person driving drug effected is 1 too many.
But, they say that 1 in 6 drivers tested fails the test. The pollies and the media then pick up on this claiming that 1 in 6 drivers is drug driving. But I don't believe that's the case because police are targeting their testing at people they suspect to be drug users, and a lot of cops would be pretty good at guessing who may be on and who isn't.
I don't think true random roadside testing would get anywhere near 1 in 6 but also don't have an issue with police having some discretion on who they test.
Old 13-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #39
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Also a lot of people might be driving at the times police don't target, that's why you wouldn't be getting tested often. Because RBTs are usually set up early hours of the mornings or after 5:30pm into the night. But in holiday season then anytime really.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #40
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
You must have got them on a slow day.

I've been tested 4 times Driving the Truck, each time I was stopped for about 10mins, tops.

As for the Smoke and Mirrors, my 18yo granddaughter has told me in the last month 3 people she knows have been tested here in town.
It is still low even if it takes 10 minutes, that still only 120 people with 4 officers testing for 5 hours straight with no breaks wtc.

3 people in 3 months is still very low number. Just think about how many people your grand daughter knows who drivers and she knows of 3 people in 3 months to be drug tested still sounds low number.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #41
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Also a lot of people might be driving at the times police don't target, that's why you wouldn't be getting tested often. Because RBTs are usually set up early hours of the mornings or after 5:30pm into the night. But in holiday season then anytime really.
I have seen heaps of RBT's at all times of the day, but the drug testers I have seen a few times and that is it.
Old 15-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #42
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
So how's the company responsible for some halfwit who can't leave the glass shards alone? You test positive you get the boot, simple. I wouldn't want to work with a crack head or alcoholic.

Typical union rubbish right there!
It is a unionised EBA so you hit the nail on the head with our drug testing policy.
MDS69 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #43
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I think if the random drug testers targeted the 30-50 Y.O collar and tie brigade their percentage just might get higher
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #44
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I think if the random drug testers targeted the 30-50 Y.O collar and tie brigade their percentage just might get higher

I don't think they can test for coke. But probably get plenty of hits for weed.
Old 15-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #45
XG_Falcon

Drug testing you say?

What do they want you to test? Anything good?
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #46
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
It is still low even if it takes 10 minutes, that still only 120 people with 4 officers testing for 5 hours straight with no breaks wtc.
You're assuming that whilst they're waiting for then test results for one driver they sit around doing nothing.

Whilst they're waiting for test results they can serve other 'clients', they don't (or shouldn't) wait for the result before doing more.
Old 16-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #47
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You're assuming that whilst they're waiting for then test results for one driver they sit around doing nothing.

Whilst they're waiting for test results they can serve other 'clients', they don't (or shouldn't) wait for the result before doing more.
The officer that tested me stood next to me the whole time, while waiting for the roadside swab test to be completed. He didn't pull over any other cars as the cones they had setup was enough for 4 cars only.

All the drug test sites I have seen are the same. The officer test one person at a time. Stands next to the car and waits.
Old 16-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #48
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
The officer that tested me stood next to me the whole time, while waiting for the roadside swab test to be completed. He didn't pull over any other cars as the cones they had setup was enough for 4 cars only.

All the drug test sites I have seen are the same. The officer test one person at a time. Stands next to the car and waits.
In that case their either only targeting certain people or bored and wasting time until knock off time
Old 16-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #49
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think if its fair enough to test workers for drugs ..........

they should test all politicians - some how i cant see this happening
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #50
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
I think if its fair enough to test workers for drugs ..........

they should test all politicians - some how i cant see this happening
now lets get controversial.
Welfare recipients. Obviously not black and white but I am sure some profiling can be done
MDS69 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #51
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Welfare recipients. Obviously not black and white but I am sure some profiling can be done
Why would you want to? I wouldn't have thought that they come under the title of 'Drug testers at work and job losses'
Old 20-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #52
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG_Falcon View Post
Drug testing you say?

What do they want you to test? Anything good?
Out of curiosity mate what exactly is that avatar of yours?
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 11:43 PM   #53
nstg8a

Quote:
It is black and white as far as I'm concerned. Welfare recipients should be drug tested, if they fail they then get re test a fortnight or whatever later, if they fail that one then no welfare until they're clean.

Back home the vast majority of jobs require a drug test prior to employment, and many many workplaces run regular 'random' tests.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #54
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
It is black and white as far as I'm concerned. Welfare recipients should be drug tested, if they fail they then get re test a fortnight or whatever later, if they fail that one then no welfare until they're clean.
Or they could do what is already done in some parts of the country.
Give welfare recipients their money via a card which can only be used for buying essentials.
(this card/system has a name but I can't think of it )
Old 21-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #55
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or they could do what is already done in some parts of the country.
Give welfare recipients their money via a card which can only be used for buying essentials.
(this card/system has a name but I can't think of it )
Yeah but the desperados swap their cards for the good stuff and the dealers then sell the cards at a discount price to "legit" shoppers
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2015, 11:01 PM   #56
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
I always drive during the night, Friday and Saturday nights are common drive for me. My route between home and work runs through the edge of the city where heaps of pubs and clubs are located. In the last 6 months I have seen an RBT once. Pretty bad considering how often I drive on the most main roads running out of the CBD both North and South.
RBT's are pretty easy for police to do and hardly take any time, I would like to see them more often.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #57
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7 View Post
Out of curiosity mate what exactly is that avatar of yours?
It's a symbol that represents the importance of family, kinship and unity.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #58
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG_Falcon View Post
It's a symbol that represents the importance of family, kinship and unity.
Thought it was a deformed nazi symbol
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #59
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7 View Post
Thought it was a deformed nazi symbol
Well, it's an old Germanic rune... but then again, the National Socialists did use a lot of old Germanic symbols in their propaganda so idk.
Old 25-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #60
anolade
trigger happy

were I work most boys have had a billy or a pipe before rocking up to work, cause it's middle of boganville I guess
enhanced by team at Blue Power Racing Developments
Now sold off and no longer owns a ford
anolade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: