Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #31
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Eastlink - styleside Utes now commercial vehicles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
No, as I explained, a separate chassis in this case means exactly what the utes have. A separate chassis on to which is bolted the tub, tray, or your choice of after-market body.
As I explained, prior to the AU, underneath a Ute was basically a station wagon. If you removed the body, the whole thing would fall in a heap. That's why there were no Falcon tray-backs.

Thanks Dazz,
I did see your explanation, I think it is incorrect as is the Eastlink description.
The chassis is integral with the cab, all in one welded together. The tray or styleside box is separate not the chassis. There some good technical descriptions available on the web which explain the differences between separate chassis, moncoque and unitary construction.
Bill.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
It is a rip, but it still is tax deductible. Its up to the operator to deem if its beneficial.

Speaking of which its apparently backed up cause of an accident. Hope people get their money back today.
Tax deductible ? Perhaps, but despite what some think the tax man is not always that generous, you cannot always claim everything, but you can try.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #33
quickzx
BA XR6 Ute

So to add insult to injury a Holden Commodore Ute is classified as a car but a Ford Falcon Ute isn't, deadset zero logic behind these thiefs!!
quickzx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #34
Grom13

Just had this issue with citylink , I have a fpv ute and my son has a fg xr6 ute, I set up an account with citylink because I was so sick of there invoice fees and fines. My son is a 1st year apprentice and works in Melbourne and uses tolls quite a bit, after first statement I noticed they were charging him commercial rate for his trips so I contacted them and complained didn't hold much hope but a week later they agreed that his ute should be charged as a car and credited my account for over charges. When you set up your account with citylink the section to enter the vehicle details allows you to set up an FG ute as a car and not a commercial vehicle , my fg ute is also classified as a car with citylink which also allows me to drive on eastlink. Hope this helps, but they are still robbing bastards who's tolls and charges are rediculous
Grom13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #35
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im glad my ute is commercial, get away with parking in loading zones for much longer than the allowed 30 minutes as around my neck of the woods the parking inspectors cant seem to differentiate between one and another white ute to determine how long its been there ( I guess they don't care to chalk them).
easily worth the extra 300ish a year rego for me.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #36
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs View Post
If you have a "car" eTag you can get away with using it in a ute.They only take snaps of cars with no eTags or tags with no money on them and they have no way of knowing what car a tag is attached to without a pic.
I borrowed a mates falcon sedan eTag when I visited Melbourne recently and put it in the window of my same model falcon ute. when I got home a notice for toll payment was waiting. Mate got charged the toll, I got charged the toll and a fine. so they do seem to pick up incorrectly tagged cars.

JP
Old 09-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #37
quickzx
BA XR6 Ute

For anyone following the thread, just spent 20 mins on the phone to Eastlink and they didn't do anything about it so I'm disputing with the ombudsman through them.

They told me that they (& Citylink) are currently in the process of informing all Ford Falcon ute owners that they will no longer be considered cars and will be considered commercial vehicles. They also said that Holden Commodore Utes are and will still be considered as cars.

If you get hit up make sure you dispute it through the ombudsman the more of us that do, the more chance we have of getting them to turn this stupid rule around.

It's unreal that overnight they can just change the classification of one ute but keep another classified as a car.
quickzx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #38
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
I borrowed a mates falcon sedan eTag when I visited Melbourne recently and put it in the window of my same model falcon ute. when I got home a notice for toll payment was waiting. Mate got charged the toll, I got charged the toll and a fine. so they do seem to pick up incorrectly tagged cars.

JP
That's odd.We've been doing it since day 1,using the one etag in everything from Corollas to Landcruisers.Never had an issue and always get charged the car rate.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #39
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs View Post
That's odd.We've been doing it since day 1,using the one etag in everything from Corollas to Landcruisers.Never had an issue and always get charged the car rate.
that would be right, I seem to get fined for something every time I go to Melbourne.

JP
Old 12-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #40
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickzx View Post
So to add insult to injury a Holden Commodore Ute is classified as a car but a Ford Falcon Ute isn't, deadset zero logic behind these thiefs!!
I don't think Commodore has the separate Chassis from the tub, it would be interesting to see what its weight carrying capabilities are.
They did on the one tonners though, but that went with the VZ
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
that would be right, I seem to get fined for something every time I go to Melbourne.

JP
Indeed JP , if you get around melbourne big brother is watching everywhere for the smallest infringement ,ive lived here for nearly 50 years and i still get stung occasionally even though im super careful , you almost have to not travel or be super human not to make the tiniest fopar ,
which of course the powers that be will gleefully empty your wallet at the first opportunity......... no warnings no leeway, no lectures telling you what you did wrong .......... just give me the money !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #42
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
no warnings no leeway, no lectures telling you what you did wrong .......... just give me the money !
Tell me about it
I got a fine in December 2014 for not displaying oversize signage on my Boat which overhangs the trailer by 45mm.
there was a new category called a Class O vehicle in feb 2014, that I was supposed to know the rules and regulations for.
Old 13-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #43
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I don't think Commodore has the separate Chassis from the tub, it would be interesting to see what its weight carrying capabilities
Its weight carrying capabilities are not dependent on whether the chassis is separate from the tub.

The Falcon has rear leaf springs which are superior in load carrying to the Commodore's rear coil springs.

Obviously Commodore utes are similar to pre-AU Falcon utes in construction, because there is no 'gap' between the cab & the tub, they are joined as one.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #44
Clarkey57
Starter Motor

Eastling have just advised me that my FG Styleside Falcon Ute is now to be classified as a light commercial vehicle (LCV). I have read the definition of LCV in the legislation and I'm sure that legally Eastlink are correct. that does't make it fair when a Commodore Ute is still a car. When the laws were written nobody expected Ford to change their ute to a Cab Chassis. So to be fair the definition of LCV need to be changed to exclude those Styleside Utes which are part of a model range which includes a sedan ie Falcon and Commodore. the staff at Eastlink tell me they think its unfair that the Holden and Ford Utes are on different tolls. My local member of parliament think its unfair. Now all I have to do is to get enough Falcon Ute Owners to write to Minister for Roads Luke Donnellan PO Box 126 Endeavor Hills 3802 with this or some other fair way ahead for Falcon Ute Owners
Clarkey57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #45
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But are you using your FG Styleside Falcon Ute as a commercial vehicle?
Old 05-07-2016, 04:04 PM   #46
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

See post 11. I'm happy with the classification.

Ford classify them as Commercials too.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:53 PM   #47
nstg8a

My 90 panelvan is classed as a commercial vehicle by qld transport, even had to work out tare and gvm weights when I registered it.

I guess il,get pinged commercial rates on local tolls as well. Glad I don't use them unless I really have to. Or I'm in the missus's car.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2016, 05:38 PM   #48
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm no Tax expert but I believe there are Exemptions in relation to a commercial vehicle and road tolls, provided its used for "work Purposes"

So its not all bad.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #49
Clarkey57
Starter Motor

In Victoria Tolls are based on the definitions contained in the agreements with Eastlink and Citilink. It has nothing to do with work use. So the very many Falcon Styleside Utes which are private use only must now pay the commercial toll. My choice to buy a Falcon over a Commodore was more about being A Ford rather than a Holden Fan.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #50
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I had an issue just recently here in Bris where my trayback BF was intermittently charged commercial toll on the Gateway.
The crap sytem would charge "private" one way and "commercial" the other but not necessarily the same each time.
I contacted Govia and had to send them a copy of my rego papers to prove "private" registration and they then credited $65 to my Govia account.
I'm now really wary of Govia's recording/accounting. The ute had been charged at "private" for three years and then all of a sudden intermittent "commercial" rate.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #51
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey57 View Post
In Victoria Tolls are based on the definitions contained in the agreements with Eastlink and Citilink. It has nothing to do with work use. So the very many Falcon Styleside Utes which are private use only must now pay the commercial toll. My choice to buy a Falcon over a Commodore was more about being A Ford rather than a Holden Fan.
I think will find its about what the car is registered or classified as, hence the definition contained in the agreements.

umm You didn't answer the question.

Are you using the Ute for work Purposes ie commercial use?
Old 06-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #52
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
I had an issue just recently here in Bris where my trayback BF was intermittently charged commercial toll on the Gateway.
The crap sytem would charge "private" one way and "commercial" the other but not necessarily the same each time.
I contacted Govia and had to send them a copy of my rego papers to prove "private" registration and they then credited $65 to my Govia account.
I'm now really wary of Govia's recording/accounting. The ute had been charged at "private" for three years and then all of a sudden intermittent "commercial" rate.
You have a good argument if its not registered as a commercial vehicle.
Out of curiosity what does its compliance label say?
Old 06-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #53
monzie

A fairer system would be if you have private rego you pay the car rate. Commercial rego, commercial rate.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #54
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Smile Re: Eastlink - styleside Utes now commercial vehicles?

Quote:
You have a good argument if its not registered as a commercial vehicle.
Out of curiosity what does its compliance label say?
Up here we have private or commercial rego. If it's registered as private it's not a commercial vehicle for toll purposes.
I don't know where the definition begins and ends. Obviously they'd look closely at a road train registered as "private"

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #55
Clarkey57
Starter Motor

Quote:
I think will find its about what the car is registered or classified as, hence the definition contained in the agreements.

umm You didn't answer the question.

Are you using the Ute for work Purposes ie commercial use?
Private use only exactly the same as my mate with a Commodore Ute
Old 06-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #56
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey57 View Post
Private use only exactly the same as my mate with a Commodore Ute
I see with Queensland you can apply for a change of vehicle Particulars.

Where you can have it registered as a Private use vehicle.
F3524 - Change of Vehicle Particulars Notification
(I'm not sure what penalties are involved if your found using it for commercial)

Unfortunately I don't think VIC Roads offer this. hence your Ute will be registered as a commercial vehicle.

If you want to raise a petition this is where I would start.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #57
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's a toll road?

Wait Awhile does have some advantages after all.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #58
Dezza
Parts bin special

Acoording to EastLink, I drive a commercial vehicle. I've got a high performance turbocharged engine, 19" wheels and a luxury interior. I can understand a falcon one-tonner being a commercial vehicle but an XR50 Turbo?

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2016, 11:03 PM   #59
Full_Monty

Does this B.S apply to dual cab Rangers, Hilux etc?
Full_Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2016, 12:23 AM   #60
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Monty View Post
Does this B.S apply to dual cab Rangers, Hilux etc?
Certainly does, been paying these rates since I sold my FG ute 3 years ago.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post