Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #31
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Protection against road rage.

I've noticed a lot of the crazys posts pics on Facebook for being parked a smidgen over the line or not parked dead centre in the lines, I think those vigilantie driving pages are just asking for trouble myself. Just over the most stupidist things
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #32
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

- There is no excuse for violence or threats thereof, no matter what has happened. This guy, regardless if it's the full story, should be apprehended.
- Dash cam in future, but your wife should have taken photos of the car and the driver (if she felt it was safe to) or at least remembered the make/model/number plate. And a description of the driver.
- It appalls me that nobody pulled him up on it/offered to provide as a witness to the incident. Yes, it's probably not safe to do it on your own, but offering as a witness once he's ****** off isn't hard.
- As someone else has said, in heavy traffic it's always best to get into the correct lane well before your turnoff, in heavy traffic I aim to do it a couple of turnoffs before, saves a lot of hassle, and reduces the need to quickly change lanes dangerously (something I was privy to watching constantly today in the rain).
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #33
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Thanks for the replys everyone. Going get the dash cam thing happening.
I asked her again to see if there was anything she missed. Ran the story past my daughter as well.
It is a two lane stretch of road, 70km/h speed limit, but at 4:30pm it was bumper to bumper. 1km takes you literally 5 mins. She put her indicator on to get into the left lane. This guy speeds up and cuts her off. Fair enough, she is happy to slot in behind, however traffic is crawling and she has to wait again until it gets moving.
When her lane gets moving, the bloke, must have been sending or reading a text as he didn't move for about 10sec. Wifey says she just moved over and that is when he lost it.
I know, this is her side of the story, but I can be certain that if she did make a mistake, it was not intentional. She was picking up our 3 kids from school, so last thing on her mind was to get into a drama.
I guess I had to vent as well, as I would have thought getting out and abusing a woman with 3 kids in the car was a little off limits, but like others have said, expect the unexpected these days.

To be fair, she said there were some other drivers beeping at this guy, but couldn't hear what was being said.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #34
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
Very true I was driving through a shopping center car park my car was already half way through a pedestrian crossing when some nut carrying his shopping decided to run out near my car and scream into my window for not giving way when he was no where near the crossing
I've experienced something similar. Yet the person hadn't set foot on the pedestrian crossing when I had already passed them. They sense of self importance was clearly overinflated..............

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #35
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Pottery beige is right, it takes nothing to fire people up these days.

That makes it even more important for women to take driving SEArIOUSLY. Unfair you say?

I've said this many times.....but for years now my wife and I have taken notice of the driver every time we see a near miss, no blinkers,cutting off and so on and on and on. Saying 95% of offenders are female is being nice.

Take notice yourself...it's unbelievable if you take notice.

Edit....sorry syndrome....my comments are not pointed at your wife......sounds like she was the victim of someone with anger issues! Terrible when kids are involved.....sickening actually!!!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #36
SavVYute

I remember reading somewhere that one out of every ten of the population has some form of mental health issue at some stage of their lives.

I keep that in mind every time I decide to venture out on the road.
SavVYute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #37
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

glass 1litre coke bottles were good back in the day for dudes that wanted a crack

good times
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #38
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavVYute View Post
I remember reading somewhere that one out of every ten of the population has some form of mental health issue at some stage of their lives.

I keep that in mind every time I decide to venture out on the road.
its called ice now

and funny as **** dealing with them
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #39
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Pottery beige is right, it takes nothing to fire people up these days.

That makes it even more important for women to take driving SEArIOUSLY. Unfair you say?

I've said this many times.....but for years now my wife and I have taken notice of the driver every time we see a near miss, no blinkers,cutting off and so on and on and on. Saying 95% of offenders are female is being nice.

Take notice yourself...it's unbelievable if you take notice.

Edit....sorry syndrome....my comments are not pointed at your wife......sounds like she was the victim of someone with anger issues! Terrible when kids are involved.....sickening actually!!!
Whether or not women are worse drivers is totally beside the point here. It's not ok to physically attack or intimidate another driver like this, no matter what. No one made this guy get out of his car and he alone is responsible for his decision to do it. Saying women should take driving more seriously to avoid being attacked subtly suggests she is partly to blame and begins to absolve him of his responsibility a little. It's similar to saying women shouldn't be out late at night or wear revealing clothing so that men aren't encouraged to assault them. I'm not suggesting at all that you think that too, I'm saying it's another example of victim blaming leading us to focus on the wrong things. It's the perpetrator's mindset and lack of self control that's the problem and all of us should be making sure they know it'll never be tolerated.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #40
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
It doesn't take much to set clowns off now days

I just point and laugh at them

Sends the crackies nuts
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #41
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb0 View Post
Whether or not women are worse drivers is totally beside the point here. It's not ok to physically attack or intimidate another driver like this, no matter what. No one made this guy get out of his car and he alone is responsible for his decision to do it. Saying women should take driving more seriously to avoid being attacked subtly suggests she is partly to blame and begins to absolve him of his responsibility a little. It's similar to saying women shouldn't be out late at night or wear revealing clothing so that men aren't encouraged to assault them. I'm not suggesting at all that you think that too, I'm saying it's another example of victim blaming leading us to focus on the wrong things. It's the perpetrator's mindset and lack of self control that's the problem and all of us should be making sure they know it'll never be tolerated.
I totally agree...espescially in this case......but let's assume said driver didn't use her blinker and forced the guy behind to nearly swerve into the back of a parked truck. What if he had his kids in the car.......surely putting peoples lives at risk by not driving safely is worthy of being brought up.
Of course it never excuses violence!
I only brought up the issue as some questioned early on whether she had told the whole story....perhaps not using a blinker herself...or swearving or whatever. The op has since clarified this.
My point still stands tho as to the number of offending women drivers. If you wish to contend this.....then take note yourself and get back to me with your results. I'm positive I won't be surprised. Unless you live on mars...or is it venus
Old 10-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #42
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Blowing people a kiss when they get a bit of roadrage is the ultimate, always gets a reaction. Nice plain face and a nice big smooch sent there way
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #43
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Blowing people a kiss when they get a bit of roadrage is the ultimate, always gets a reaction. Nice plain face and a nice big smooch sent there way
Even that could spark road rage reactions. Crazy is crazy. I remember years ago in north qld it was reported a gang had a initiation where at night they would flash their lights at on coming cars.....if someone flashed back then they would chase and kill the driver
Also had a school friend who was road rage bashed for nothing. Apparently he was confused for another person in the same Nissan xtrail with the same roxy sticker on the back.(that one had been reported)
How messed up is that.
Best to not even acknowledge angry drivers.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #44
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
I've noticed a lot of the crazys posts pics on Facebook for being parked a smidgen over the line or not parked dead centre in the lines, I think those vigilantie driving pages are just asking for trouble myself. Just over the most stupidist things
I could be a star on those sites....I often park dead centre of two parking spaces....as long as there's a lot of free spaces tho!! I like my paint smick as it is thanks.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #45
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I remember years ago in north qld it was reported a gang had a initiation where at night they would flash their lights at on coming cars.....if someone flashed back then they would chase and kill the driver
That stories been going around for years. It always changes a little bit each time.
I highly doubt that has ever happened in Australia. Maybe overseas somewhere, but who knows.

Some halfwit went off at me one day for no reason.

Driving along as normal in the left lane and the car in front of me put it's left indicator on and started to slow. I look in review mirror and see the halfwit behind throws his hands up in the air and swerves around me, mouthing off as he passes me.
Next set of lights I stop a car length from the one in front of me so I'm next to him and calmly ask what the problem is. He starts flying of the handle yelling, swearing and carrying on with ****.
Started accusing me of right lane hogging. Told me to move up(away from him) or I'll regret it.
I just sat the calmly telling him I did nothing wrong and he is carrying on over nothing.
I was in the right lane earlier, but it was peak hour, in the middle of the city. I can only go as fast as the car in front. No such thing as right lane hogging in the city during peak.

His turning light went green and he drove off. I continue straight and about 30 seconds later I start to get really ****ed. I chuck a u-ie and drive down the road he turned looking at parked cars and driving down a few back streets looking for his car so I can get the full plate to report to the cops. Didn't find it unfortunately.

So yes I do believe that some people can flip out over nothing. You don't have to do anything wrong.
Now have a dashcam, glad I have never had to pull footage off it though.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #46
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I could be a star on those sites....I often park dead centre of two parking spaces....as long as there's a lot of free spaces tho!! I like my paint smick as it is thanks.
Lol, i've done it myself when no ones around. It amazes me how some people carry on with them sites!! People thrthreatening to key cars and let down tyres etc. All over parking
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #47
V8Crazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i saw a nasty road rage incident on thursday afternoon (standing outside my workshop near the road, i caught the brutal tail end....).

The story (as i heard it filtered through a few people) was a guy in a camry blocked a guy in a subaru at the round about at the top of the road (often happens when people go to u-turn at the little roundabout, hard to tell where they're going cause its so small and at a top of a street full of shops), the camry driver then drove off down my road, where i started seeing the act and the subaru driver chased him, over took him (small road actually, not a place for overtaking by a long stretch, even when someones parking), cut back infront of him then jumped on the brakes.

Camry driver hits the horn (holds it on), guy in subaru slams on the brakes, gets out and starts mouthing at the camry driver through his (down) drivers windows. Subaru driver turns to get back in his car, camry driver antagonizes him as hes walking away.

Suby driver flips it, rips the camry door open and starts trying to rip the driver out of his seat, seatbelt and all (all the while the camry driver is holding the running car braked in reverse mind you).

Now the Suby driver was a big Kiwi or something and the camry driver was just some young bloke, really surprised he didn't rip something off other than the kids shirt.

Non the less people came running, suby driver jumps in his car (after the camry drivers female passenger gets out and starts running her mouth at him), takes off up a driveway into a complex of workshops (to visit a workshop of someone i know, hence how i got the start of the story :P).

No less than 5 mins later, 4 cop cars packed full turn up (plus i think another one came in the back way to the complex, and our friendly highway patrol did a roll by....), arrested the guy/took reports/etc.

I don't know if thats the real full story, getting out of the car to begin with, probably not justified, young bloke should have kept his mouth shut, but again totally not justified laying hands on, lots of cops though, makes me wonder if the suby driver had a warrant or something
Mods : Capa Vortech V2 SQ Supercharger @ 8psi w/ Griptec pulley, 42lb injectors + 2Bar Map, W2A intercooler, Walbro GSS342 Fuel pump, Raceworks Adjustable Fuel Reg, 2.5" XForce Quadtip Catback Exhaust, 100 Cell Cats, Xforce Stainles Extractors, 25% underdrives
V8Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #48
SuspectEB

I get all kinds everyday since I drive metro Adelaide in my 30T truck.

Usually Ill ignore them, but if some really gets going, Im more then happy to show the size of my truck to them. Like merge lane drag racers. I just accelerate normally. if some really wants to try pushing for a gap not big enough, they can eat my 22.5s. I have no issue destroying someones car for them.
Mmm body kit
Sunroof
Custom respray
ROH Modena 3 peice wheels

01 AU XR6 VCT
Sunroof
Manual
Coilovers
Big brakes
Carbon bonnet
Pursuit/TS body kit
Lip spoiler
TE interior
18x9.5 18x10.5 with semi slicks
SuspectEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #49
andyvbrown

People need to calm the ******* down on the roads, I don't get some idiots on the road I normally sit on our just over the speed limit and I get rude gestures from people as they pass me.

To further this discussion any "man" who gets out of his car to abuse a woman and children needs to be taken off to the side of the road and given a lesson in life. I think these people are cowards.

Don't know why we can't all share the road in peace.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
andyvbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #50
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
That happened to me in Melbourne a while back. A ****** in a BMW looking at themselves in the rear vision mirror wandered into my lane nearly pushing me into a truck. I rolled up next to them full of rage only to have a drag queen blow a kiss at me. Totally short circuited the situation as I was left dumb founded and confused.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #51
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Everyone's got their stereo type of whaat type of driver annoys them, whether it be p platers, Mercedes drivers etc, I suffer from the condition of road rage living in Melbourne, But I never abuse someone I just swear and curse in my car. I like to think I'm a courteous driver on the roads and my biggest pet peeve are people who speed up and around into a merge lane to get in front and end up just making traffic back up with them trying to push in.

I'm sure there are a lot of members who have had moments where they felt like getting out of the car, but probably have more common sense. I hate soccer mums in 4wds at school time, I almost had my car written off by 3 in one day in those huge BMW X series, be it from not head checking to just pullling out and forcing me to slam my brakes on.

Doesn't happen so much now I'm back in a falcon but I'm never driving a small car again, you really do get bullied on the road.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #52
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Oh and taxi drivers, bane of my existence...

Mods to Date
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
Old 10-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #53
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If she was in a coupe none of this would have happened.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #54
commonrails

Quote:
Originally Posted by tut0r View Post
I like to think I'm a courteous driver on the roads and my biggest pet peeve are people who speed up and around into a merge lane to get in front and end up just making traffic back up with them trying to push in.
This happens to me all the time because I leave "braking" room from the car in front, every time it happens I just think to myself or say to my misses they are obviously more important then us and the 10 or 15 other cars behind. Must be good to be that important, that you don't give a damn about others.
commonrails is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #55
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tut0r View Post
Doesn't happen so much now I'm back in a falcon but I'm never driving a small car again, you really do get bullied on the road.
So true I noticed this as well. Plus having a P plate seam to make people want to pull out in front of you.
But as my cars got bigger and my P plates changed colours and then disappeared, I have found I have a lot less people pull out on me now.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #56
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Completely agree, no such thing as safe breaking distance in our major cities anymore hahaha, oh and you boys in Sydney you can have your big Bay because I'm never driving through there again I thought Melbourne was bad but you guys are a bunch of angry mofos

Mods to Date
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
Old 11-05-2014, 12:20 AM   #57
V8Crazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we're only angry cause other people make us angry !

I drive an hour to work through the M5 & Heathcoat road, the sheer number of idiot drivers who can't merge or won't let people merge, cut people off changing lanes, get in the "fast" lane and do 20 under or the truck drivers that go side by side down the highway.

All the M7 Merge traffic comes from people not merging right, theres a giant lane to merge over but people wait until the lane ends to try and get over and end up just going nose in (or you get 2+ cars that all speed up trying to push infront of 1 car, remember, match traffic speed, merge like a zipper - its stupidly easy).
Then you get the idiots that come to the merge and say no F-You your not merging infront of me, causing people to stop in the merge lane because they can't get in.

Then throw in the idiots on heathcoat road, doing 110+ in a 70 zone just to get past 2 cars on the short overtaking lane, only to end up behind the cars further up the road (then 1 minute later, those cars they overtook are right behind them.....more so with the new bit of 2 lane road they added at the army base, with the worlds shortest piece of 2 lane road......), or how bout the little 1 lane bridge, people whip into the merge lane to bypass 2 or 3 cars worth of traffic then force their way back in, just to turn right and go to the train station.

Just makes no sense to me, theres really no need for it, people need to calm down, drive properly, merge properly, make good decisions on where to do things (like why stop in the middle of the road to turn right, blocking that lane whilst waiting for a gap, when you can go a couple roads down to a turning lane at a set of lights and take a back street back up, it'd probably be quicker and cause a ***** load less traffic build up....) then chances are the traffic in sydney wouldn't be so bad, probably wouldn't be in an almost constant rotation of road closures and road works

ps, my pet hate is when I leave a gap between me and the car infront, only to have some ****** cut into my space with no blinker, or 1 blink of the blinker, especially in the wet (and especially when they take up my braking gap, then slam the brakes on) - that reaaaaaaally grinds my gears
Mods : Capa Vortech V2 SQ Supercharger @ 8psi w/ Griptec pulley, 42lb injectors + 2Bar Map, W2A intercooler, Walbro GSS342 Fuel pump, Raceworks Adjustable Fuel Reg, 2.5" XForce Quadtip Catback Exhaust, 100 Cell Cats, Xforce Stainles Extractors, 25% underdrives
V8Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 12:28 AM   #58
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb0 View Post
Your right, it is not about being a woman.
It is about self preservation, there are too many nutter's around to take the moral high ground. Especially on the roads.

Im always telling my wife to be more considerate whilst driving, to be honest her driving is limited to point and go, with tunnel vision thrown in.

I believe the message is to be conscious of your actions and driving manner as you never know who you will come across.
If that is implied to a certain gender known to be habitual, multi tasking, motorists, then so be it.
They are quite often an easy target.
It is offered to encourage considerate driving, not discriminate.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2014, 04:01 AM   #59
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Your right, it is not about being a woman.
It is about self preservation, there are too many nutter's around to take the moral high ground. Especially on the roads.

Im always telling my wife to be more considerate whilst driving, to be honest her driving is limited to point and go, with tunnel vision thrown in.

I believe the message is to be conscious of your actions and driving manner as you never know who you will come across.
If that is implied to a certain gender known to be habitual, multi tasking, motorists, then so be it.
They are quite often an easy target.
It is offered to encourage considerate driving, not discriminate.
Exactly...I used to do the same with my wife....but the little taking note of offending genders on the road really woke her up I think.
And as CHOMBO said....it's not about women taking driving more seriously 'to avoid' being attacked.....that's just a bi product of "anyone" taking driving seriously.

Honestly I'd love to hear from others who take notice of gender offenders so to speak. But be warned...it took hundreds of incidents before we let it sink in, for fear of feeling "sexist". But truth hurts....so be it. I prefer my wife alive to how serious motoring is. We've even watched stupid only in Russia videos.....they really show how little people have to get wrong to cause huge accidents sometimes......thatl get you scared of pulling up beside that semi trailer on the highway in the rain...........
Old 11-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #60
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
glass 1litre coke bottles were good back in the day for dudes that wanted a crack

good times
Guess what Pottery, they are for sale again at your local supermarket
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post