Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #31
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fiesta ST - An Owners Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursya View Post
The car will not return 6.1. As no car ever achieves the mandated benchmark test.
It is a standard test done to all vehicles and should only be used as a comparison, not a real life gauge.
My 2011 zetec gets the benchmark pretty easily. sometimes even less!

I reckon it would get close. But it does depend how you drive it :P
This user likes this post:
Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #32
WUB913

Yes I understand that, I'm expecting ST to return around 8.5l
Old 08-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #33
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursya View Post
The car will not return 6.1. As no car ever achieves the mandated benchmark test.
It is a standard test done to all vehicles and should only be used as a comparison, not a real life gauge.
My WS Zetec matched 6.1L (as stated by Ford) week in, week out (I manually verified this several times) and even bettered that on occasion.

My ST is averaging 7.5 atm with only 800kms on the clock. She'll easily do 6s in a month's time (IMO) The 6th gear will do wonders mated to that torquey little EcoBoost engine.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #34
ConST

Man you guys are driving it soft haha.

As of now, 600kms in, I am averaging 9.5. But I'm driving it like it's stolen.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2
ConST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #35
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConST View Post
Man you guys are driving it soft haha.

As of now, 600kms in, I am averaging 9.5. But I'm driving it like it's stolen.

Gotta run it in mate! Haha
Old 08-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #36
ConST

That's what warranty is for

I don't buy the whole "break it in slow, easy on the rpms". Engines come run in from the factory, in addition to modern laser machining. There is no need at all to go easy on it. It's just a gimmick.

I don't mean I'm going past red line. But heck, I'm gunning to 6k for sure!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #37
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

You will always hear differing opinions on run in, not one has proven right nor wrong from what ive read.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #38
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConST View Post
That's what warranty is for

I don't buy the whole "break it in slow, easy on the rpms". Engines come run in from the factory, in addition to modern laser machining. There is no need at all to go easy on it. It's just a gimmick.

I don't mean I'm going past red line. But heck, I'm gunning to 6k for sure!

Granted that machining tolerances etc are much better but it still takes time to fully bed in things like piston rings which will make a difference to performance and longetivity of your motor and that is am using a specific set of rules i have used for running motors in over the years

mrmavx

Last edited by mrmavx; 08-09-2013 at 03:34 PM.
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #39
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I've heard "no need to run it in mate" a lot more than "dear god make sure you run it in!"

I'm gonna take it easy for the first 1500 kms while I get used to the car (I'm giving it the occasional squirt here and there) and after that it's anything goes really.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #40
ConST

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmavx View Post
Granted that machining tolerances etc are much better but it still takes time to fully bed in things like piston rings which will make a difference to performance and longetivity of your motor and that is am using a specific set of rules i have used for running motors in over the years

mrmavx
I hear what you're saying, and can understand that angle. And it does take time to bed the piston rings in. But it doesn't take that long.

I've owned many a car in my life and have never "run it in" for the first thousand kms. I've never once had an issue. That can be taken with a grain of salt though, as I know people who have babied there car and had it in for engine work at 10,000km. Likewise I've known people who have thrashed it to hell and have also had the car in at 10,000kms.

I have a friend of a friend of a cousin of an uncle who works for VW in Wolfsburg on the assembly line. All engines are run in to bed the pistons in before mounting into the car. Hence why I drive a car how I like to straight away. Not saying all manufacturers necessarily do that, but most do nowadays.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #41
ConST

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
I've heard "no need to run it in mate" a lot more than "dear god make sure you run it in!"

I'm gonna take it easy for the first 1500 kms while I get used to the car (I'm giving it the occasional squirt here and there) and after that it's anything goes really.
I hear ya. It's whatever makes you feel more comfortable at the end of the day. I'm willing to take the risk and rev it high right off the bat. Again, I'm not redlining it. I've had it up to 6000 a couple times, but easily run it to 5000 quite often...mainly when I pull up to a Toyota 86
2 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #42
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I chuckle every time I see a GT 86.

"Oh you bought a GT86, that's cute"

(Before I get flamed I totally respect the car and what it represents etc etc)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #43
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I took one for a test drive on the weekend, really, really impressed!!!!

Unfortunately for me it is now a matter of finding a dealer who will meet me on my budget.

Fingers crossed it happens
Old 09-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #44
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
So I took one for a test drive on the weekend, really, really impressed!!!!

Unfortunately for me it is now a matter of finding a dealer who will meet me on my budget.

Fingers crossed it happens
Try regional dealers, in my experience they're more willing to negotiate.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #45
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Watching a track day video of a US 4 door and made me wonder what doing track days would do to your warranty?

Obviously consumable items (fluids, brake pads, tyres) aren't covered under warranty anyway and they're going to be the main wear and tear from a circuit run.

Related note, by the time you got to your second and third laps would the overboost be disabled or does it only disable per run of wide open throttle?
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!

Last edited by martinijosh; 09-09-2013 at 08:37 PM.
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #46
GeeDubF6

Overboost is limited to around 20secs of wide open throttle. After that it is a few milliseconds to reset the counter and away you go again. Basically think of it this way - on a 0-220kph run you are going to have to change gears 5 times, and 220 should come up in under 40secs. You aren't going to be restricted by overboost unless you hold it flat in top gear...

Old: BF MKII F6 #00390 in Breeze. Sunroof, 19" Dark Argent wheels, Reverse Sensors, Electric Pedals, Leather, FPV Mats... Ear to ear grin!!
GeeDubF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #47
sus_038
nufnsus

Awesome write up, the misses now even more wants to go test drive one haha..

Cheers!
sus_038 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #48
daveym
Starter Motor

A guy at work pointed out that at the point where the bonnet meets the front headlights that on one side the gap is about 9mm and on the other side it is closer to 6mm and the rubber bumper strip reveals itself more on the right side than on the left.the bonnet on the left also is higher than the headlight and on the right it is under the headlight. i took it back to ford and he said he gave it a slight tweak but will have a better go at it when i get my 3000k service done and as he was looking at it i noticed a molten orange ST had exactly the same problem maybe even worse, The funny thing is i had a look at a thailand built Ambient fiesta and it was perfect and maybe only a 3mm perfect gap all along. I was just wondering if this is an inherent manufacturing fault as i cant see there was enough room to line the bonnet up properly, if any other ST owners have this problem i would like to know about it. i realise i am just being picky but this car is from Germany after all and you come to expect perfection.so just curious.
By the way I mothered my car last tank with a bit of a blat on the weekend but still could only manage 6.9L/100ks
daveym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #49
WUB913

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveym View Post
9mm and on the other side it is closer to 6mm and the rubber bumper strip reveals itself more on the right side than on the left.the bonnet on the left also is higher than the headlight and on the right it is under the headlight.
I see some Volvos and Mercedes at work with different gaps. although its from Germany nothings ever perfect, as much as we would like it to be.
Old 15-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #50
ZiggythePiggy
Starter Motor

Is the driver lumbar support adjustable? I went on a test drive and found it really uncomfortable. I then sat in another one they had in the showroom and it felt fine!

The salesman and I could not find any adjuster.

Also does the headrest rotate at all? It seemed to poke me in the back of the head.

Thanks heaps...
ZiggythePiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post