Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #31
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Our dog found after 10 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
A dog or any animal should not be regarded as property, but as sentient beings with feelings, emotions and needs. Needs that should be greater than our own feelings of legal entitelement. Determine the cause of the dogs departure, persue the culprits but don't act in a way which may punish the dog...dont assume they are any less important or have less rights that your children.
JP
That's right. Kidnapping part of my family is not something I look lightly on.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 12-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #32
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

double post

Old 12-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #33
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
I am glad that the Dog has been reunited with the rightful family and I think you are fortunate that your Ex was willing to contact you and let you know. My ex didn't even bother telling me my eldest son had broken his arm while away on holidays over 20 years ago, I found out 4 weeks later. :(

Not exactly reunited yet as there has been a twist in the saga. The people who have had Riley for the last 9 years showed up. The pound refuse to release Riley to my ex wife even though she is details on the microchip.

Apparently they brought Riley off someone. My ex wife is furious as technically stolen property even though he's not property as such. A family member shall we say.

My ex wife tells me she's not sure where to go from here but was talking about seeking legal advice. From what I've read the pound is not supposed to release a pet unless they can confirm ownership inc microchip details. Yet the pound want to release Riley on the fact the people who unsuspectingly bought a stolen pet. Yet can't produce a receipt. The pound is stating possession is 9/10ths of the law? Which doesn't make sense as they are in possession of a stolen pet (although old) is still wanted.

I find it weird the police are interested if the contents of my house is taken but not if its a pet? I think that's wrong. It doesn't bother me too much as I can't house him but my ex wife can and she "is" the registered owner.

The current owners can't even change the microchip information as it's like car rego. Without the owners consent it can't happen.

Summary? If you live in the Cardinia Shire steal what you want and as long as it's in your possession you own it according to the council.

Very sad indeed

Old 12-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #34
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are some dead set low lives in this world. Stealing someone's dog is as bad an act as it gets. I will do life in prison by the way of murder if anyone tries to steal my dog. Best wishes to you and your ex-wife with Riley.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #35
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Ouch, hope this works out for you, good luck with it, you are the rightfull owner
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
Old 12-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx View Post
Not exactly reunited yet as there has been a twist in the saga. The people who have had Riley for the last 9 years showed up. The pound refuse to release Riley to my ex wife even though she is details on the microchip.

Apparently they brought Riley off someone. My ex wife is furious as technically stolen property even though he's not property as such. A family member shall we say.

My ex wife tells me she's not sure where to go from here but was talking about seeking legal advice. From what I've read the pound is not supposed to release a pet unless they can confirm ownership inc microchip details. Yet the pound want to release Riley on the fact the people who unsuspectingly bought a stolen pet. Yet can't produce a receipt. The pound is stating possession is 9/10ths of the law? Which doesn't make sense as they are in possession of a stolen pet (although old) is still wanted.

I find it weird the police are interested if the contents of my house is taken but not if its a pet? I think that's wrong. It doesn't bother me too much as I can't house him but my ex wife can and she "is" the registered owner.

The current owners can't even change the microchip information as it's like car rego. Without the owners consent it can't happen.

Summary? If you live in the Cardinia Shire steal what you want and as long as it's in your possession you own it according to the council.

Very sad indeed
I wonder if there is a time limit as to when goods that are lost / stolen / misplaced are no longer able to be claimed? Bit like when the police give someone X months to claim something that has been handed in prior to it going to the person who found it??

Last year (or the year before??) I attended the lost and found / surplus auction run by the railways. Their prized lot was a very old Violin - say 100-150 years old. Worth several thousand dollars.

All radio / media mentioned this violin. I went and had a sticky beak, took note of some items I was interested in and then went to the violin. My cousin is a very good player and she may have been interested.

While I was there, a manager at the auction had a phone call and was walking towards the display case with the keys. The person asked several questions regarding identification and the manager said yes to all. The person identified themselves as the original owner yet the manager said they were legally allowed to continue with the sale.

The manager walked away, still on the phone. The auction went ahead and I think it went for 13k... Don't know what happened to the person on the phone, or if they were even legit but if they were they would have obviously taken all avenues to claim their lost item.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 12-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #37
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I wonder if there is a time limit as to when goods that are lost / stolen / misplaced are no longer able to be claimed? Bit like when the police give someone X months to claim something that has been handed in prior to it going to the person who found it??

Last year (or the year before??) I attended the lost and found / surplus auction run by the railways. Their prized lot was a very old Violin - say 100-150 years old. Worth several thousand dollars.

All radio / media mentioned this violin. I went and had a sticky beak, took note of some items I was interested in and then went to the violin. My cousin is a very good player and she may have been interested.

While I was there, a manager at the auction had a phone call and was walking towards the display case with the keys. The person asked several questions regarding identification and the manager said yes to all. The person identified themselves as the original owner yet the manager said they were legally allowed to continue with the sale.

The manager walked away, still on the phone. The auction went ahead and I think it went for 13k... Don't know what happened to the person on the phone, or if they were even legit but if they were they would have obviously taken all avenues to claim their lost item.
I would guess on property like that they would have got an insurance payout. Can't really do that for a pet.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #38
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Very sad indeed
I don't buy their story at all. If they can't produce evidence that they purchased the dog from someone, and never bothered to get him micro-chipped themselves, to me it sounds likely that they would be the ones who stole him originally.
Honestly, what dog owners don't get their dogs micro-chipped?!

Best of luck getting it sorted out.

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #39
gtfpv
GT

brenx . be mature about the wqhole thing and keep it in perspective . if you think about it the person who stole your dog , probably onsold him or kept him, either way the dog has had 10 years of that life and is still here , he also has other owners that have turned up and want him , they may love him more than you do . this is a hard one .
his current owners may be innocent people who have a life with the dog .
I'S A HARD ONE MATE GOOD LUCK .
DONT HATE OR ACCUSE THE OTHER OWNERS OF ANYTHING .
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #40
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you bought a stolen car and it was discovered to be so, you simply lose the car and it goes back to the true owner, regardless of what you may have spent etc..
How your dog isnt returned to its rightful owner is just beyond me!!
This user likes this post:
Old 12-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #41
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

the dogs papers are legal ownership documents. The kennel council paperwork will show the registration was transferred to your (or your ex's) name (provided you did this.)

Get legal asap, & let the pound know you will do so. They also have to follow legal procedure & that means giving the animal to the registered owner.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
Old 12-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #42
daytona1965

Bronx,

It's a tricky one, the dog was stolen! Fact,,,,,

But why? For the new owner to bread? Or as a pet.

The new owners should have chipped the dog, there is something wrong there.

All pets should be desexed, a law. This might have stopped the theft.......

I was the president of an animal shelter for a few years, I hated the AGM as I

Had to read out the sleeping animals report each year, over 3000 cats and 300

Dogs. We were a small shelter in Keysborough, and the numbers didn't change

Much in the 30 odd years they have been in business.

Having compulsory desexing laws would greatly assist in the innocent slaughter

of beautiful cats and dogs. Don't get me started on puppy farms........

Good luck in the return of our Riley.

Rohan
Cruiser: XC Ford Coupe
5 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #43
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
the dogs papers are legal ownership documents. The kennel council paperwork will show the registration was transferred to your (or your ex's) name (provided you did this.)

Get legal asap, & let the pound know you will do so. They also have to follow legal procedure & that means giving the animal to the registered owner.
The only problem with the paper is we can't locate them. We've both moved quite a bit in the last ten years. Me 4 different places and my ex probably 6-7 different places. Locating the paperwork if at my ex wives house would be hard as they were flooded a few years ago.

I'm going to go through my paperwork but I doubt I'd have them. It would have been something that stayed with my ex wife.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #44
nstg8a

Not much point in micro chipping if the vet is just going to ignore the info on it and give the dog back to some random claiming it...

I'd be getting legal too
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #45
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
The only problem with the paper is we can't locate them. We've both moved quite a bit in the last ten years. Me 4 different places and my ex probably 6-7 different places. Locating the paperwork if at my ex wives house would be hard as they were flooded a few years ago.

I'm going to go through my paperwork but I doubt I'd have them. It would have been something that stayed with my ex wife.

give the kennel club a call & see if they can help, esp if the ex wife was flooded, they might even be able to replace them

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
Old 14-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #46
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

If the ppl who have had Reiley for the past 9 years were such good owners , why would they not take him to the vet when there is something clearly wrong with his teeth , to get him microchipped , or more importantly at least a vet check up , yearly or maybe bi yearly ? Fear of being caught with a stollen dog maybe ??????

Dont back down Brenx , Reiley is your pet and deserves to be with you and your family !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Old 14-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #47
zilo
BANNED

so...who is paying for the vet bills now?

Surely not you or the ex?
Old 14-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #48
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is your microchip on the national register......if so simply download and print the ownership papers.

I fail to see how a person, who is registered as the owner on a microchip, is not given precedence over a stranger who is not registered on the microchip.

we just bought another dog, Yorkshire terrier with a heritage and paperwork dating back to the dinosaurs, she is chipped and registered.

she was scanned at her inoculations and papers checked to see if we were the rightful owners.

legal advice should be sought I feel, take these lowlifes to court.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 14-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #49
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
is your microchip on the national register......if so simply download and print the ownership papers.

I fail to see how a person, who is registered as the owner on a microchip, is not given precedence over a stranger who is not registered on the microchip.
That's how I see it.
Anything else pretty much makes registration redundant.

Quote:
legal advice should be sought I feel, take these lowlifes to court.
Well, at least to see if they are actually lowlifes, in as much as them having either stolen the dog, or knowing full well it was stolen.

I do feel for them if they are innocent victims and were looking after the dog.
In this case, it's a messy situation.
Old 14-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #50
Xr347
Starter Motor

After 10 years, you'd think the dog would consider who ever has been looking after him to be his owners. Regardless of how he ended up there.
Old 14-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #51
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xr347 View Post
After 10 years, you'd think the dog would consider who ever has been looking after him to be his owners. Regardless of how he ended up there.
True.
Or he can't wait to get out of there if he wasn't treated well.
Old 14-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #52
peteypete
Sunny side up

It might SEEM like the right thing to do, taking the dog back to the owner who had it the longest, but doesn't anyone stop to think how the dog got put in the pound it the first place?
Surely if they've had it so long, the dog escaping wouldn't be a problem. Either it's been going from home to home, or it's been let free or even surrendered to the pound because they no longer want to take care of it.
It may have been stolen to breed so the people could make money from the dog, and now it's getting old the vet bills/etc just don't justify keeping it any more. Plus they've probably gone out and stolen a younger dog.
These are just possibilities though, I am probably wrong.
TBH if I was the OP, I wouldn't bother looking for the home that had it last because 90%chance it's going to be a let down and it's going to upset him more knowing the poor dog lived in such an environment.

My main point being: When something is stolen, it's very doubtful it's going to a good home or somewhere it's going to be treated right.
Genies>hi-flow cat>X-Force 2.5" Catback. Stage 2 crow cams. Powerbond 20% Underdrives. Bent tab. BC racing Coilovers. Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars. SS Inductions Growler + XR8 snorkel + Territory intake pipe. More to come. Thread coming soon.

[P]Plater

Past rides:

1998 NL Ghia Concorde (Now Dads car)

1954 Austin A40
Old 14-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #53
EF ECTIV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I say **** em... Its your dog, and it registered to you. As previously said if you
receive stolen property (such as a car) and the rightful owners come knocking its
no defence to simply state that its now in your possession so its yours...

The other point being raised about moving the dog after 10 years; big deal, the dog
will adjust.. If these new people were such great owners they would have discovered
it belonged to someone else years ago. So either they a) knew and ignored it or b)
havent bothering taking it to the vet in a decade. Either way its dodgy as hell...

1998 EL XR8 S2, Oxford, Manual, tickford kit
Project

2013 G6ET

Stock daily

2022 Patrol TiL
Stock daily
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #54
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A couple of things.

Was there a police report lodged for the theft of the dog. If not how can you prove that the dog was stolen and not sold by someone living at the property.

My guess why the shelter is holding the dog, is there may be no proof that the dog was stolen, if no police report. The current owners may have photo of the dog showing they are the current owners.

The dog may still be in the name of the OP Ex-wife, but can your EX wife prove the dog was stolen and not sold on by her. First thing any legal council will ask is, can you prove the dog was stolen.

I’m not accusing anyone of any theft or anything like that, just trying to think why the shelter may be holding the dog.

Last edited by xisled; 15-08-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 15-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #55
nstg8a

Op or his ex wouldn't need to prove it was stolen, the ones claiming ownership would need to prove they bought it legally...
Old 15-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #56
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
A couple of things.

Was there a police report lodged for the theft of the dog. If not how can you prove that the dog was stolen and not sold by someone living at the property.

My guess why the shelter is holding the dog, is there may be no proof that the dog was stolen, if no police report. The current owners may have photo of the dog showing they are the current owners.

The dog may still be in the name of the OP Ex-wife, but can your EX wife prove the dog was stolen and not sold on by her. First thing any legal council will ask is, can you prove the dog was stolen.

I’m not accusing anyone of any theft or anything like that, just trying to think why the shelter may be holding the dog.
The problem is after 10 years how long do you keep paperwork. I doubt my ex rang the police as police quite often just fob off stolen pet claims. The only link she has is the microchip at the moment and photos of him as a pup. Riley was located at my ex's cousins house as a holiday as Oska and Riley were having issues. Then he was stolen (lock cut off the gate).

The only proof the people who had him had were photos and the pound turned him over! To add to it the pound have stated the people are going to have the microchip removed and have a new one put in! Just like swapping ID plates on a car I reckon! The people don't have a proof of purchase from my ex either.

My ex is going to pursue it but I'm not sure how.

Old 17-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #57
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
give the kennel club a call & see if they can help, esp if the ex wife was flooded, they might even be able to replace them
@ OP: Did you contact the Australian Kennel Club? They'd have records to help you if your ex can't locate her papers.
Old 17-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #58
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have let my ex know about it. I am not sure if she followed up

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 4

Old 17-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #59
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to ask, but is your ex just as committed to getting Riley back as you are?
<no offense>
Old 08-11-2016, 01:22 AM   #60
xr8cam

Dogs are pack animals and need to be with their onwers as much as possible. Don't leave dogs outside, put a door in so they have access. A dog will not protect its envinroment if its not in it, ie inside. Feed your dog raw non weight bearing bones like chicken necks,wings,frames, beef & lab ribs etc.Never cook bones and start puppies off with little things like chicken necks and offal, hearts, kidneys, etc. Dried food will kill your dog over time and make them ill. Do the research-google truth about dried food-A dogs poo should be firm, not slop. They need bone in their diet and the hard poo cleans the an-l sacs in a dogs bum. Laugh away, but do the research and if your getting a dog, consider a rescue dog. Twice as good in so many ways. Sorry for getting off topic, I love dogs & put a lot of time into animal welfare aswell as owning a rescue Chihuahua & a Greyhound. Happy to answer any questions about dog ownership people may have.
Closed Thread