Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #31
munners

Default Re: Disaffected By Ford Ending Local Manufacture ?

From a purchasing point of view it had no impact, I was never in the market for a Falcon, in fact we just bought a new Kuga.

I even think it will be interesting to see Fords global models appearing here.

However, I don't like where we are headed as a country. I think eventually Holden and Toyota will both go, and with them a lot of skills that we will never get back.

Kinda get the feeling Australia will end up as a big hole in the ground where coal/iron ore used to be. It doesn't seem like a very viable long term plan to me.

Munners
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #32
Rodge
Banned

Interesting different perspectives, thanks to those who've posted so far.
I guess I have mixed feelings about it because of my mixed ownership experience.
One one hand my GT-P is a very, very good car, albeit with a couple of niggles so far
My First FPV a BF2 Typhoon was an exceptionally good car with excellent build quality and gave three years of highly enjoyable and completly problem free enjoyment and probably in hindsight was my favourite car, likewise my BA Turbo was also a good piece of kit, (with the exception of the warping brake rotors).

On the other hand my AU Futura, BF XR6 and FG F6 all had significant quality control / reliability issues that left me feeling unhappy, two of them, very unhappy with serious unresolved issues leading to the sale through dissatisfaction.

Mine is thus an evenly split experience between highly enjoyable and considerably less enjoyable ownership and I think this to a large extent probably explains my ambivilence about this whole thing going forward. I'll probably keep my current car for the forseeable future but I have a completly open mind about buying an alternative brand in the future when the time is right for me.

I do have resale concerns regarding the orphan model thing going forward and if others have 100% confidence that all parts will be available for the full ten years I am pleased for them.

Last edited by Rodge; 28-06-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by munners View Post
Kinda get the feeling Australia will end up as a big hole in the ground where coal/iron ore used to be. It doesn't seem like a very viable long term plan to me.
Australia's ending up a dumping ground for a lot of crap (not really talking about cars BTW) so we can have these big holes to fill it in. Hopefully that will return the 50 billion lost in GDP.
Old 28-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #34
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We all have to remember that Ford, in 3 years time, will stop building 2 vehicle types here, both of which don't appear in the top 10 sales charts. What could they build here a) that costs the same let alone cheaper then what is built in o/s plants and b) will sell in enough numbers to get a top 5 place...nothing really. In fact you need to build more than the same numbers as the top 1, 2 and 3 sellers to get the economies of scale for a local plant or export the greater %. And again point a) above comes back into play.

I have 3 years to enjoy the local products so I can see at least one new G6ET or Terry Titanium arriving in that time frame. A few years after that I'll plan again...life's too short to even worry about it (I went to the memorial of a 21y.o. yesterday), except for the employees directly effected.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #35
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always try to support locally made product, so yes Ford decision does affect me. My next car will be a locally made Ford, but after that who knows depends what Holden/Toyota have on offer and what my circumstances dictate.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #36
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

No to all questions. I dont hate Ford like some people seem to simply because its no longer affordable to make and sell a small amount of cars in a small country.

The falcon was still around for what 40-50 years? That's an incredible run. I'll still buy Fords if they fill in to what I'm looking for at the time.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #37
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I buy cars I like. take falcon away at this stage and theres nothing else I really like in the range available here. come post October 2016 there might be something I like??? theres three years to go. there might be a car ford could be making in 2017 I like and would think of buying?? only time will tell. so it hasn't affected me yet
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #38
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Ford have not yet confirmed there will be a FH FPV. I was very surprised they didn't confirm this when they confirmed plans for the 2014 updated Falcon ... According to reporters senior exec's had blank faces when asked about the future of high performance FPV models....
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............................I don't think there will be an update.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #39
borough

Quote:
I know there's been a lot of threads about manufacturing ceasing in due course but I'm
interested in looking at how this has affected your enthusiasm for the brand ?

Do you feel disaffected, (somewhat discontented and resentful), about the announcement ?
I was pretty much over the constant rumors so at least it is over

Quote:
Has if affected your future plans regarding future purchase decisions ?
Yes. I was going to replace my Falcon with another one. I will NEVER purchase a Ford again.

Quote:
Has it affected your confidence with the brand regarding future assurance of spare
parts, (yes I know they're supposed to build 10 years supply of spare parts but will they ?).
No

Quote:
Has it somewhat affected your enjoyment of your present Ford / FPV ?
No
Quote:
How do you feel about potentially owning an orphan brand in the future ?
Don't care. I generally keep my cars for a while
Quote:
Are you "all at sea" regarding what to do in the future with future purchases like I am ?
No. I won't buy a Ford again. Probably a compact SUV like the ix35.
borough is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #40
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

I tend to keep my cars for a while. my BFGT will see me through for quite some time. I'm not worried about parts.....I owned an XE ESP....I'm used to trawling wrecker yards and classifieds for parts......I've lost years worth of weekends scavenging....lol
With no local production...Ford will be just another importer....no real reason to give them any special consideration if I was to purchase a new car for myself. The wife has a Suzuki Kizashi and loves it....excellent car.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #41
Buntz
Straight Eight

I am resentful. Ford can fail as a entire company now for all I care.
Old 28-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #42
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Disaffected By Ford Ending local Manufacture or not, the one sure bet is people will be affected by the cost of imported cars the way our dollars headed.
Hopefully the value packed in local cars could help swing more future buyers to our remaining local manufactured cars.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #43
zilo
BANNED

I have lost some respect for Ford Australia.

When it's time to upgrade I am blessed financially and I can usually afford any car, I never finance them, always pay cash whether they are 20k or 100k.

I normally turn a blind eye to quality and durability issues when buying local cars because of the fact that locally manufactured usually means abundant spare parts, cheap services etc etc...and assisting the common good/market that supports me and my business.

But ...with a full import model a Ford will be thrown in the "attitude" basket of every other import, and regrettably the Asian offerings will probably make the Ford imports a touch expensive, particularly in terms of reliability.

How can a car company expect to flog it's product to an audience it deems to be too expensive to employ?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #44
prydey
Rob

no change for me. the job losses are unfortunate but ford have done what no company has done previously and given them 3years notice!! that to me says they actually care an awful lot about their workers.

i'm a ford fan. i buy ford badged cars. no other brand will ever appear in my carport.

i fail to see why so many have completely turned against ford. i wonder if the same poeple also boycott brands like dunlop, bridgestone etc etc.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #45
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

I dunno, I was shattered when I heard the news, but as a whole it doesnt really affect me. Being a low income family, our chances of ever buying a new car that would suit our needs are very slim to none (unless lotto pays off lol), so unfortunately a brand new Falcon was never a realistic option.

However, I am very proud of my AU, and im sure when that is due to be replaced it will be another used Falcon.
5 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #46
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not so sure i'll buy another Falcon after my current one. I've been looking at Holden's offerings and Ford's imports (wouldn't mind an 2010 XR5 or Focus ST). I'm due for an upgrade as my BF MKII is almost at 200,000k's. I like them gone before they start to cost $$$$ to fix. Haven't quite decided how important a tow vehicle is yet.

I don't buy new I tend to go ex-demo or 2 years old. Just depends whats around within the budget at the time. I got a good deal when I bought the BF as a not quite 2yo car.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #47
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know there's been a lot of threads about manufacturing ceasing in due course but I'm

Do you feel disaffected, (somewhat discontented and resentful), about the announcement ?
Has it affected your confidence with the brand regarding future assurance of spare
parts, (yes I know they're supposed to build 10 years supply of spare parts but will they ?).
Are you "all at sea" regarding what to do in the future with future purchases like I am ?
just confirms you are a fair weathered Ford fan..

please move on to the latest greatest shiny gadget thing you can boast about at another boring coffee machine conversation...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #48
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
How can a car company expect to flog it's product to an audience it deems to be too expensive to employ?
Well said.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #49
malazn mafia
Boss 335

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Ford-Fusio...edan/overview/

Didn't know they made them in AWD. Why don't Ford USA just export this to AUS as the Falcon replacement, and rip out the FWD equipment and there is a mid-size RWD sedan... No RHD variant perhaps?

EDIT: whoops, didn't realise a Fusion is actually a Mundano, and look how that sells in Aus : (. Well, good excuse for a name change?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #50
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
How can the Australian people expect a company to exist in a market that doesn't buy its products, demands to pay as little as possible, but the workers building the product demand high pay and every perk possible?

If every company that once built here but left at some point/every foreign company didn't sell in Australia we'd be ******. Nothing is made in Australia, that's due to high cost and all the advancements being done overseas's.

I hope none of these people bitching own anything foreign, that'd be very ironic.
5 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #51
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
How can the Australian people expect a company to exist in a market that doesn't buy its products, demands to pay as little as possible, but the workers building the product demand high pay and every perk possible?

If every company that once built here but left at some point/every foreign company didn't sell in Australia we'd be ******. Nothing is made in Australia, that's due to high cost and all the advancements being done overseas's.

I hope none of these people bitching own anything foreign, that'd be very ironic.

Cool...they can therefore manufacture in a 3rd world country for sweat shop rates and then bring them back here for top dollar.

What could possibly go wrong?
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #52
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When Mitsi stopped building the 380, there was the initial angst, but step into a mitsi dealer a year later and the heavy feeling of the inevitable had evaporated.You could look at the whole range of cars on their merits and decide if they suit your needs.
My company buys falcon utes because they suit our requirements, not because we blindly buy them based on where they are built.
Post falcon, well look at all the options weigh up the pros and cons and decide from there.
danzvtil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #53
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:

I hear you bro. I have been a loyal blue blood for more then three decades. After 2016 I will become an anti-blue blood.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I wouldn't buy new again regardless of manufacturer, unless F series, RAM and Silverado started getting sold here in Australia with reasonable pricing.

It didn't effect me as I was never in the market for a sedan.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #55
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
When Mitsi stopped building the 380, there was the initial angst, but step into a mitsi dealer a year later and the heavy feeling of the inevitable had evaporated.You could look at the whole range of cars on their merits and decide if they suit your needs.
My company buys falcon utes because they suit our requirements, not because we blindly buy them based on where they are built.
Post falcon, well look at all the options weigh up the pros and cons and decide from there.
Sure...you can buy an Lancer for the 18 year old daughter or the Pajero for the bush.

What family car do Mitsubishi make for normal sized people?

The Triton ute???
Old 29-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #56
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Cool...they can therefore manufacture in a 3rd world country for sweat shop rates and then bring them back here for top dollar.

What could possibly go wrong?
Make more money, still sell plenty of cars to the people who haven't got their knickers in a knot.

People should have bee this passionate about Falcon over the last decade and actually bought new Falcons.

Quote:
Sure...you can buy an Lancer for the 18 year old daughter or the Pajero for the bush.

The Triton ute???
Any 4x4/SUV fits into the family car segment thesedays, families moved on from sedans years ago
2 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #57
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

But the only 4x4 or SUV that is not a total POS to drive is the Territory..... Seriously, there is nothing under 150k that is remotely as versatile or as cheap to own, let alone anything that anybody with a remotely car oriented persona could actually enjoy driving. I still say that in world terms and bang for buck terms, our Territory smashes its competitors out of the ballpark and in that regard is infinitely more impressive a feat for Ford than the awesome F6s (BA/BF/FG) I have owned or my current FG II GT-E....

Last edited by mcnews; 29-06-2013 at 03:44 AM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #58
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
just confirms you are a fair weathered Ford fan..

please move on to the latest greatest shiny gadget thing you can boast about at another boring coffee machine conversation...
Seriously, I agree a lot with what you say quite often (shared old school muscle car background etc.) and we could probably enjoy a beer together..... But that is a pathetic statement, we are not in the kindy choosing footy sides. I have no loyalty to Ford at all, they have none to me, if you choose to invest some emotion in the brand then wow Ford marketing is not as completely useless as I thought they were.... Amazing really.

All said above.... In the last ten years, I have spent quarter of a million dollars on new Fords (yes I must have had a lobotomy...), and that's not buying for a company, that's just myself and the other half....

Who is more important to Ford.....?

Me......?

Or some dribbler that calls me (which you didn't) or Rodge (which you did, and has also probably spent over 200k in the past ten years), a fair weather Ford fan..........?

I think the answer to that is obvious.....

Last edited by mcnews; 29-06-2013 at 03:49 AM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #59
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Seriously, I agree a lot with what you say quite often (shared old school muscle car background etc.) and we could probably enjoy a beer together..... But that is a pathetic statement, we are not in the kindy choosing footy sides. I have no loyalty to Ford at all, they have none to me, if you choose to invest some emotion in the brand then wow Ford marketing is not as completely useless as I thought they were.... Amazing really.

All said above.... In the last ten years, I have spent quarter of a million dollars on new Fords (yes I must have had a lobotomy...), and that's not buying for a company, that's just myself and the other half....

Who is more important to Ford.....?

Me......?

Or some dribbler that calls me (which you didn't) or Rodge (which you did, and has also probably spent over 200k in the past ten years), a fair weather Ford fan..........?

I think the answer to that is obvious.....
the constant running down of the Ford product gets old Trev.. right now they are the best product we've ever had.. sooking they havent got this or that in comparison with vehicles built for a much larger / world stage market is just sour grapes..

true Falcon fans are loving it up while we still can.. some may buy the last of the run as keepers..

leave the ive spent more out of the equasion as we know a lot of you flip cars around here regularly for tax purposes...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #60
KIWI-1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The Triton ute???
ASX, Challenger, Outlander.
All are vehicles in the fastest growing market segment - vehicles people are buying - which is why Mitsubishi Motors Australia are profitable without subsidies.