Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Where to buy CHEAP stuff online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
But according to your argument above, it’s all YOUR fault for shopping in Big W and not in our store.
The few dollars YOU saved are the reason my kids nolonger have jobs in her shop.
Your the author of this thread,read your opening post,champ

Then tell me whos got their finger in the pie with closing retailers, and nil jobs for kids ....

Cant complain your shop closed, then parade how cheap things are buying direct O/S ......
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Last time I tried to replace a 13mm socket from my local Mitre10, I asked for it in 1/4" drive, and the guy said he didn't know if they came in anything smaller than 1/2".

Everything on the shelf was 1/2".

I use www.transquip.com.au for tools, they're based in WA and they ship everywhere.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I prefer to buy online as it makes my life easier and cheaper when I don't have time running round to shops.

Needed a new MircoSD card for the phone, mine's gone dead, so priced them up on eBay, nice cheap things they are, class 10 32gb Sandisk from Sydney, $24.95 + free postage.

Thinking that I'd like it a bit sooner than a few days, and since I had some spare time, I called into JB Hifi to grab one instead. Class 10 32gb Sandisk, same product, same packaging. $75.

I walked out the store empty handed and clicked buy it now on eBay. $50 difference and I've still purchased from an Australian supplier. And people wonder why we shop online instead of getting our butts into stores.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

I buy my computer bits from umart.com.au, almost on par with American pricing for electronics.

The only problem is that they charge a minimum of $35 for postage if you're not near a distribution center. No problem for me, as I buy somewhat in bulk.
Old 14-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Dusty1
Giddy up!

What until the Aussie dollar drops, very few people will buy from overseas.

I import small scale, and if it drops, I'll close up. Won't be ale to pass those costs onto my customers.

I get jeans and clothes from bargainsavenue.com and they are cheaper than I could ever get them here. With the exception of some 501s I got from Costco, they were cheap, but I spent a lot of time finding the right size.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let me make something clear: I support local small business whenever I can. I will happily pay a premium for Australian Made goods. I refuse to (knowingly) buy imported food and I will support WA farmers first and foremost. I actually prefer dealing with small business, as the knowledge and service is superior also, and whenever I can I will support the local guy.
Ironically it’s actually sometimes easier to find Australian made stuff online because the big chain stores won’t stock it.
Unfortunately many local small businesses have been driven out by the chain stores. It’s been a long time since I had a “local hardware store.” Sadly also most things are now manufactured overseas, so if my choice is limited to a Chinese product, I would prefer to buy it cheap online rather than pay a hefty premium through a chain store owned by WW or WF. Sometimes when buying via eBay it IS actually an Australian small businessman who is doing the importing and selling.

Having been in small business, and having worked with hundreds of others in a professional capacity, I can tell you that what goes on with rentals in the big shopping centres is downright criminal. Also that the behaviour of the big multinational suppliers is reprehensible. That said, I am not bitter about these things, that is the away the world operates, but I will be blowed if I am going to support them either.
The notion that by buying a product direct from China, rather than allowing a multinational to import the exact same product and sell it to me via Big W, I am somehow costing jobs is laughable.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The notion that by buying a product direct from China, rather than allowing a multinational to import the exact same product and sell it to me via Big W, I am somehow costing jobs is laughable.
It is laughable ........

Theres the blokes at customs who check the goods, then the freight company,wether in house or out sourced,its a cost, then the warehouse workers who unload the goods, theres already a few workers, both on the floor and in the office,then the person/persons who stack the shelves, the checkout chicks, then the people who stand at the store entries/exit checking bags for those who don't want to pay
Theres more people involved than the person at the counter
Then the money these people earn, they buy from/support other businesses
You've run your own show,you should know goods don't fall from the sky ,someone has to organise them, which in turn is a cost and involves other companies

Just running my show here, im involving well over a dozen other businesses, both directly or indirectly,which in turn need many businesses to help run their business

Last edited by 302 XC; 15-05-2013 at 08:58 AM.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
It is laughable ........

Theres the blokes at customs who check the goods, then the freight company,wether in house or out sourced,its a cost, then the warehouse workers who unload the goods, theres already a few workers, both on the floor and in the office,then the person/persons who stack the shelves, the checkout chicks, then the people who stand at the store entries/exit checking bags for those who don't want to pay
Theres more people involved than the person at the counter
Then the money these people earn, they buy from/support other businesses
You've run your own show,you should know goods don't fall from the sky ,someone has to organise them, which in turn is a cost and involves other companies

Just running my show here, im involving well over a dozen other businesses, both directly or indirectly,which in turn need many businesses to help run their business
last bulk item i imported by ship on a pallet cost me double the purchase price in customs clearing/port fees/forwarding. so it still worked out a good deal but only 33% of the total money paid stayed in china the rest 66% stayed here.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

eastbay.com for all sports clothing and shoes

chainreactioncycles.com or wiggle.co.uk (now have a .com.au shop) for cycling stuff

digitalrev.com for Camera stuff

ozgameshop.com for all games (PC and xbox360)
Old 15-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

In true AFF style this thread goes down the drain.

This is a thread about WHERE to buy CHEAP stuff ONLINE.

For ducks sake.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here’s a classic example. I am looking to buy a rather large piece of equipment. They’re made in China, that’s just the way it is, whether I buy it direct, or from the local guy, it’s the same piece of machinery from the same factories in China. Price from China is $1,600, plus $265 delivery to my door. (Not bad considering the size and weight of the package.)
Price from the local guy $2,995. Yet I STILL contacted the local guy on the assumption that he would be able to provide delivery, advice, and aftersales service. They were unhelpful to the point of being rude, told me I would need to organise my own truck and hiab to collect it from their shop (so not even a delivery charge, just “bugger off”) and left me with the clear impression that looking for aftersales service would be a waste of time.
I know the costs facing local business, he would be paying through the nose for his warehouse (commercial property is nuts over here) plus wages, taxes, and everything else. Yet He HAS the opportunity to differentiate and value-add; if he were to offer advice, delivery, setup, and service, he’d get a lot of business from those that don’t want the hassle of importing and installing it themselves.
Old 15-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Here’s a classic example. I am looking to buy a rather large piece of equipment. They’re made in China, that’s just the way it is, whether I buy it direct, or from the local guy, it’s the same piece of machinery from the same factories in China. Price from China is $1,600, plus $265 delivery to my door. (Not bad considering the size and weight of the package.)
Price from the local guy $2,995. Yet I STILL contacted the local guy on the assumption that he would be able to provide delivery, advice, and aftersales service. They were unhelpful to the point of being rude, told me I would need to organise my own truck and hiab to collect it from their shop (so not even a delivery charge, just “bugger off”) and left me with the clear impression that looking for aftersales service would be a waste of time.
I know the costs facing local business, he would be paying through the nose for his warehouse (commercial property is nuts over here) plus wages, taxes, and everything else. Yet He HAS the opportunity to differentiate and value-add; if he were to offer advice, delivery, setup, and service, he’d get a lot of business from those that don’t want the hassle of importing and installing it themselves.
These type of businesses need to wake up to themselves, and im glad you wont support them .....
In this day and age ,and how hard its becoming to keep doors open, this bloke needs a reality check,lock the door at foreclosure ........
Im always on the hunt for cheaper raw materials, to run my show,im always trying hard as hell to be competitive
What I make here can be made O/S,imported with all costs,unloaded cheaper than my raw material ,pre labour cost
Im competitive , im on the front line,people do appreciate talking to the person who makes it,rather than some O/S worker, but the bottom line is money .....
I can be sometimes a tad dearer, quicker turn around,but push the boundaries too much ill loose the sale
20 years doin what I do,im not giving up without a decent fight
Old 16-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Same situation with me. I wanted to buy a largish item, with similar cost and size as well as delivery problems...

Emailed 2 sellers on Ebay who were based in HK / China and then found 2 local vendors who sell the exact same product with their usual 30-40% mark-up. Which didn't bother me as I was more interested in after sales help and support and would prefer to call a local number than email an OS chap that may not have a good command of the English language.

The 2 locals never replied, the 2 OS providers got back to me within 1 day with a detailed response....

And I'm buying for an independent high school which was ready to write the cheque........ and that was clear in my email.

I didn't bother with the purchase as sending parts OS for repair or replacement and waiting for delivery would greatly impact the people who would rely on the machine.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
damoose

I,m with you all the way crazy Dazz , Only someone who has been or is in small business can understand.
I could write a book on the things I have witnessed with the bigger retailers versus the small,
wholesale and retail a like.
Old 16-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
Spinner77

Quote:
eastbay.com for all sports clothing and shoes

chainreactioncycles.com or wiggle.co.uk (now have a .com.au shop) for cycling stuff

digitalrev.com for Camera stuff

ozgameshop.com for all games (PC and xbox360)
Just on digitalrev.com, you may find that it offers the best price. On the other hand, it might not.

Other Hong Kong sellers on Ebay are worth tracking too, IMHO. I have had no problems in ordering from these, but I have kept to those who have Ebay's top-rated seller rating.

After watching items of interest over a period, I have a suspicion that the Hong Kong traders change their names, or operate under several names, for some reason. But I have been very happy with my experiences, and especially the prices.

And by the way, if you are after a gift for the wife or girlfriend, it is hard to go past:
http://au.strawberrynet.com/main.aspx

Strawberrynet offers outstanding prices on French perfume, for example. It's very reliable.
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner77 View Post
After watching items of interest over a period, I have a suspicion that the Hong Kong traders change their names, or operate under several names, for some reason.
Look very deep into who sells laptop batteries. After a bad experience with 2 dodgy batteries I learnt that the 1 factory in China owns well over a dozen sites (and perhaps 30-40 if I kept looking), in almost every continent.

Similar site format, similar T&C, similar pricing, same fake endorsements from recognised authority figures.

Many are also in Australia (and wrongly state that they are local vendors with fake addresses, fake / misleading business information, fake phone numbers). When I sent a long email to fair trading they didn't bother commenting on the fact I provided several online companies that were clearly not based here with:

We don't have control over overseas vendors, please take your gripe up with them directly...."

Yup... no wonder they have been described as a toothless tiger...

Buying cheap stuff online is great, that is until you get done with a dud item or an item that never came and the only point of contact is an overseas based site that chooses not to bother replying after they have your money.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
Spinner77

Good point, Yellow Festiva.

In fact, I would never buy a laptop on-line, let alone the batteries, except from the manufacturers. I have heard too many stories of scams.

My positive experience with the Hong Kong traders has been with cameras and accessories. Even there I am inclined to buy spare batteries in Aus.
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post