Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #31
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

Default Re: A guy at the next bowser was on his mobile phone??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentski View Post
There was big explosion at a paint factory overseas a few years back. The only thing they could trace it to was someone at the plant receiving a phone call. Mat eo fmine works at an Australian branch and they have strict no phones at work rules because of it.
And I bet if your make blatantly used his phone in this environment he would get the boot......no different to what the servo's are requesting we all do!
Old 24-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #32
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I'd better be careful then.....I have a servo 4 doors down from me....Might have it blow up and take out my house, because someone was on their mobile phone.

About 2 months ago, a car smacked into the stobie pole, right out the front of the servo...The servo and all the surrounding houses are still standing....That's probably worse than a mobile phone being in use...

Seriously, how many servo fires have been proven from mobile phone usage? Can't say I've ever heard of one since the invention of the mobile phone...

Must be a slow news day on here for this topic to crop up...

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 24-03-2013 at 12:34 AM.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #33
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i think the other guy should have had a go at you. why would you pull up to a bowser on the opposite side to your filler?
i do it whenever the right side of the bowsers are taken - but i have a jellybean and the gas filler is in the centre of the non jellybean
if the car fits, i don't see a problem with it

not sure why the original poster had to tell the guy off though
i am sure we have all done things that are realistically more dangerous to others than what this guy was doing

i am not suggesting the phone user isn't an inconsiderate idiot, but if you have to tell someone they are an inconsiderate idiot, they wouldn't understand anyway
Old 24-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #34
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Next thing that'll crop up is, we can't use our mobile phones whilst the car is running...After all, we're near the fuel tank, lines and rails....The car might be engulfed in a ball of flames due to our usage of the device...

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 24-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #35
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't get over some of the stupid posts here , smoking while fuelling is safe , sorry any one who believes this needs psychiatric help ASAP. they are not just putting themselves at risk they are potentially risking the lives of hundreds of people if a fireball erupts as a result of their need for their drug fix.
the OP was well within his rights to chip the other guy for breaking the law some say the biggest problem these days is people butting in but the biggest problem is selfish inconsiderate people breaking the rules because the don't care about the safety of others

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 24-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #36
prydey
Rob

its amusing that respect for some laws is very high, whilst respect for others is very low.

put a 'no mobile use' sticker at a servo, and its black and white! put a black number in a red circle on a sign by the side of the road, and apparently its a shade of grey.

i bet if the OP told a guy off for not doing 60, there wouldn't be so many jumping to his defense.

personally, i probably would have just minded my own business.
7 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #37
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive been accused many times of being a creature of habit and a man of order. I believe for our society to maintain what we would want as a quality life for each of us is order, certain norms, rules and behaviours that govern our behaviour. I have travelled the world, and seen many places whose adherance to those simple sociatal rules is poor at best, most of these places are what we would call third world or thinly desguised third world.
by entering the property of a petrol station and undertaking in the act of dispensing fuel we are entering into a social contract, one whos rules are displayed at the bowser. easy to follow with no real imposition on anyone.
but what does it matter its a dumb rule, pointless. You may argue that, but with the break down of these simple conventions society also breaks down. perhaps tomorrow I decide that stopping at red lights is not for me, its a dumb rule which imposes on me, or that when I don't like your face I remove it? Or i take your money, your car wifey, or childrens. There is no written rules that accompany your wife that states I cannot have her so I might declare its for me to know better.
I agree that im arguing by absurdity, but do we really want to live in a society which continues to break down at the edges, one whos edges are continually erased to the point of anarchy. Plenty of precedent for what I argue throughout history
as a man of order and creature of habit I hope not.
Old 24-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #38
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

When the signs started appearing about mobile phone usage at servos, it was a knee jerk reaction.....Fear of it possibly causing an explosion...Still to this day, it hasn't happened...

We use our phones in our vehicles constantly.....There would be more chance of our vehicles having an explosion, if mobiles caused a problem....After all, we're in a more confined space than you are in a service station....and we spend more time in them than a service station.

When proof appears of them being a problem in this area, then I'll take notice....Until then, they can kiss my butt...

Old 24-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #39
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I have seen/heard the attendant tell someone off over the loudspeaker for doing that.
Obviously it wasn't in his native language, so he continued to have a merry chat, not realising that he was causing a disturbance, and that all of the pumps were shut down.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 24-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is not illegal to use your phone in a servo.

They can put up all the signs they like but they have the same legal standing as "no shirt no shoes no service".
Old 24-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #41
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With this kind of attitude is there any hope for society? I know better and will do as I please regardless of the risks or the law ( all because you don't like it, very antisocial ) the risks are extremely low but the consequences are high I just hope I'm never near a servo you (or any one like you) use
Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post
When the signs started appearing about mobile phone usage at servos, it was a knee jerk reaction.....Fear of it possibly causing an explosion...Still to this day, it hasn't happened...

We use our phones in our vehicles constantly.....There would be more chance of our vehicles having an explosion, if mobiles caused a problem....After all, we're in a more confined space than you are in a service station....and we spend more time in them than a service station.

When proof appears of them being a problem in this area, then I'll take notice....Until then, they can kiss my butt...

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 24-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #42
jmac

The pay wave point is interesting considering some pumps here in Victoria actually do have pay wave terminals on the pump, as well as speakers and a TV..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Mazda 3 MPS Aurora Blue Gone :(
-=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=- (198Kw/466NM ATW)
Old 24-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #43
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have worked at a service station in the past.

I always couldn't stand people using mobile phones while they were at the pump. The biggest issue for me was purely the distraction. I couldn't tell you the amount of times I've had people who have come in to the store saying they have overfilled their car and have caused a spill. More often than not it was because they were distracted by their mobile phone.

And then you have fuel on the ground. Any number of situations (none of which are likely, thank god) can cause that fuel on the ground to cause some serious problems seriously quickly.

And then if that happens, you have a customer who thinks they know better than the staff of the petrol station because they've watched Mythbusters suddenly call on the staff of the petrol station for assistance to remedy their mistake. They don't appreciate the irony being pointed out to them.

The vast majority of spills are under 5 litres. A minority are over 5 litres. I know of one incident in the company I worked for where 30 litres was spilt from a customer who was talking on a mobile phone. The story goes that he recently converted his ute to LPG and had his petrol tank removed.

Disasters like that are thankfully rare. Consequences of such disasters being life-threatening are rarer still. But we were the ones that had to deal with the disasters and the consequences due to the absentmindedness of some customers.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #44
XPL37V

Imo you had every right to speak up bud. It only takes one time for something to go wrong and better to not happen when your there.

But also the console operator should not have authorised the pump, though it's not always the easiest to see everything from there box i imagine.

Those that think otherwise and disagree with speaking up, how long does it take to fill your tank?? 3 mins? It's not much to ask to stay off the phone for....
Old 24-03-2013, 02:38 AM   #45
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
With this kind of attitude is there any hope for society? I know better and will do as I please regardless of the risks or the law ( all because you don't like it, very antisocial ) the risks are extremely low but the consequences are high I just hope I'm never near a servo you (or any one like you) use
I think the point was, if it's a warning or rule that isn't supported by reality, then it deserves to be challenged.

But I would agree with the distraction issue.
Old 24-03-2013, 02:43 AM   #46
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPL37V View Post
Imo you had every right to speak up bud. It only takes one time for something to go wrong and better to not happen when your there.

But also the console operator should not have authorised the pump, though it's not always the easiest to see everything from there box i imagine.

Those that think otherwise and disagree with speaking up, how long does it take to fill your tank?? 3 mins? It's not much to ask to stay off the phone for....
Are you kidding? I'm too important & my day is too busy to wait.

Quote:
I'd better be careful then.....I have a servo 4 doors down from me....Might have it blow up and take out my house, because someone was on their mobile phone.

About 2 months ago, a car smacked into the stobie pole, right out the front of the servo...The servo and all the surrounding houses are still standing....That's probably worse than a mobile phone being in use...

Seriously, how many servo fires have been proven from mobile phone usage? Can't say I've ever heard of one since the invention of the mobile phone...

Must be a slow news day on here for this topic to crop up...
Quote:
Next thing that'll crop up is, we can't use our mobile phones whilst the car is running...After all, we're near the fuel tank, lines and rails....The car might be engulfed in a ball of flames due to our usage of the device...
Quote:

Yeah, you can come at me with your theories, reasoning, myth busters facts, but if your at my servo on my shift and your using your phone I will shut you down. Call it over the PA. I don't care. It's my responsibility to shut you down.
You can come in whinge, b*tch, throw a tanty, cause a scene, but my co-workers, manger, upper management & company will back me all the way. You can say that you'll never get fuel here again. Tell your friends not to. But also tell them why. And most will back me too.

I might be a lowly servo worker, yeah, but I'm a lowly servo worker with an emergency stop.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 24-03-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 24-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #47
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
its amusing that respect for some laws is very high, whilst respect for others is very low.

put a 'no mobile use' sticker at a servo, and its black and white! put a black number in a red circle on a sign by the side of the road, and apparently its a shade of grey.

i bet if the OP told a guy off for not doing 60, there wouldn't be so many jumping to his defense.

I actually think it's the same character of person in both instances you mentioned above. Unfortunately some people can't follow the rules. It doesn't matter if the rules are logical or not. They are RULES. Whether using mobiles at servos is safe or not is not the point. You don't do it because you're told NOT to. What's so hard about that? Same as someone breaking the law because they think it's ok to go 70 in a 60 zone.

I'll give a really extreme example to illustrate my point. Let's say that there is a Government law that says if you step on a particular marked section of bitumen you will be killed. Everyone knows this law. Unfortunately for some people (and human nature in imbeciles will cause this), they will step on this section of bitumen even though they are told of the consequences (just like drink drivers, people speeding etc). These are the type of people I could do without in society. The family will cry foul that their loved family member was killed over something so stupid and say things like "he was such a good kid" etc. No. He was an imbecile. The harshness or logic of the law is not the point. It's the law, it's a rule. Obey it.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 03:20 AM   #48
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
Got a servo 4 doors down.....The stobie pole out the front of it got snapped off near the base about 2 months ago too....The firies turned up, just to make sure the car didn't catch alight....they didn't need their hoses for anything.....

Now I'd say that's morelikely to cause a petrol fume fire than a mobile phone.

Old 24-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #49
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver 45 View Post
Are you kidding? I'm too important & my day is too busy to wait.

Yeah, you can come at me with your theories, reasoning, myth busters facts, but if your at my servo on my shift and your using your phone I will shut you down. Call it over the PA. I don't care. It's my responsibility to shut you down.
You can come in whinge, b*tch, throw a tanty, cause a scene, but my co-workers, manger, upper management & company will back me all the way. You can say that you'll never get fuel here again. Tell your friends not to. But also tell them why. And most will back me too.

I might be a lowly servo worker, yeah, but I'm a lowly servo worker with an emergency stop.
You couldn't honestly say you have never spoken on your mobile phone whilst your car is running? There's more chance of the car catching light as a result of a phone than a servo...reason being....confined space....there has never been a report case of a fire caused by mobile phone use in the 20 + year history of them being round....Now that's not some mythbusters myth....that's a known fact....

Then you've got the chance of getting a lightning strike whilst filling up....now that'd cause a nice boom.....

Oh and my local servo....I don't go there either....reason being....they accused me of not paying for fuel (I'd have to be stupid doing that, considering how close I live and having a car that sticks out like dogs you know what) ....so 3 weeks after the surposed petrol drive off, I threw the money at them and haven't been back there since....($300 per week in fuel they lost).....and yes, I had been there numerous times during this 3 week period buying fuel and nothing was said....so you telling me not to go back to yours wouldn't phase me one iota (nor my mates)....plenty of other servos round that'll take my money....

Last edited by svo supporter; 24-03-2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old 24-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #50
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about locking your car at the servo. The frequency from that can blow you up?
As for people filling up from the bowser on the wrong side, who cares. Why does it worry you. They can manage it why do you care if they move the 3 meter long pump a further 2 meters.
Old 24-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #51
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
You couldn't honestly say you have never spoken on your mobile phone whilst your car is running? There's more chance of the car catching light as a result of a phone than a servo...reason being....confined space....there has never been a report case of a fire caused by mobile phone use in the 20 + year history of them being round....Now that's not some mythbusters myth....that's a known fact....

Then you've got the chance of getting a lightning strike whilst filling up....now that'd cause a nice boom.....

Oh and my local servo....I don't go there either....reason being....they accused me of not paying for fuel (I'd have to be stupid doing that, considering how close I live and having a car that sticks out like dogs you know what) ....so 3 weeks after the surposed petrol drive off, I threw the money at them and haven't been back there since....($300 per week in fuel they lost).....and yes, I had been there numerous times during this 3 week period buying fuel and nothing was said....so you telling me not to go back to yours wouldn't phase me one iota (nor my mates)....plenty of other servos round that'll take my money....
Yes I have used my phone in my car many a time. But, uh, there is no direct "contact" with vapors from INSIDE the car is there? And if there is, its nowherr near the amount thats coming out of the breather pipes on the pump & your car while in the process of filling at the pump is it? It doesn't matter a bit that its a confined space if there is no way for the vapors to reach you in the cabin is there? So you don't have an argument. The vapors would need to be in the cabin & needless to say if you can smell vapors in the car, id be thinking you would be pulling over pretty quick to find out the reason.

As for lightning strike, that's a one & whatever chance. People have died & lived from a strike. It's hit & miss & nothing I can control. Yes it might cause a big boom. Freaky **** happens. I'm a little worried about what I can't control, but always vigilant of what I can. It's called duty of care.

Like I said, I don't care if there hasn't been an incident in the history of mobile phones. Couldn't give two hoots. I do not to want to have the first however remote. And there is a first for everything. It's a cliche but, it's true. Your prepared to take the risk that's great but we can't. We won't let you. So weather it happens or not it's a standing rule.

Is it that hard to just follow the rules for prudence? Just do it & save us (and I mean console operators in general) as well as you any issues. I don't think it's much to ask.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 24-03-2013 at 04:27 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 04:30 AM   #52
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

static electricity is the biggest risk of explosions,had these same arguments when i worked in the petrochem industry,cant have a phone but drums were rolled and dropped on the floor amd what about the spark when the starter motor kicks maybe u should b pushing your car down the road before starting.getting the lel at the right point for ignition isnt that easy and just because u can smell it dosnt mean it is at that level
Old 24-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #53
-RADICAL-POSTURE-
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentski View Post
There was big explosion at a paint factory overseas a few years back. The only thing they could trace it to was someone at the plant receiving a phone call. Mat eo fmine works at an Australian branch and they have strict no phones at work rules because of it.
If there was that much gas in the the factory for it to go boom then I would say the occupants would have died long before the explosion.

Current car 2018 Mustang GT 10r80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlHqV...yer_detailpage
Old 24-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #54
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMHO - the following are a greater risk or causing an explosion at a petrol station:
The controlled explosion under your bonnet.
The antistatic strip hanging from the back of your magna.
The intermittent loss of earth on you VN commie headlight .
The sun shining through your reading glasses.

That having been said, I do not own the service station, and so I follow the owner's rules - whether or not they have scientific backing.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #55
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
That having been said, I do not own the service station, and so I follow the owner's rules - whether or not they have scientific backing.
Thank you for that. A genuine thanks.

I mean is that hard to do this? So much skin off your nose? All these prancers coming in (both thread & in the servo) preaching that its a myth and that "I'm right". Right or wrong you still have to do what the sign says. As do I. It's my job and responsibility to follow the rules laid out to me by my employer, whether they are logical or not, trivial or not, if i agree with them or not, or as said above, have scientific backing or not. When you enter a site your agreeing to those conditions. So just bloody do it & save us both the hassle. Please don't be a pain in the **** trying to prove a point. I already have to deal with grumpy customers complaining about fuel prices & how it's my fault, staff that don't pull their weight, drive offs, the possibility of robbery, filling & facing shelves & fridges & paperwork, plus other things. Don't get me wrong it ain't all bad, but it's jot a dream job & its what I'm good at. A little bit less arrogance & ignorance and a bit more Australian "mateship" would go a bloody long way in these sorts of things.

That is my last post & view of this thread. I'm staying out of it for my own health. I have to deal with this in real life. I shouldn't have to deal with it on my favorite & most viewed website.

I'm out.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

Last edited by Revolver; 24-03-2013 at 07:58 AM.
6 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #56
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Outside the editing time but here's a rule for this:

Treat it like your wife. You may think/know shes wrong, but just go with it. Saves trouble. Same here.

Now I'm out.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #57
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:

agree entirely, so many people have selective morals - the idiot should not have been on his phone, but unless the original poster is entirely innocent with every single rule and moral, then he shouldn't have spoken out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver 45 View Post
and i would applaud you for that - but if you were a customer that went and told someone to put down their phone or went and told the console operator i would think you should get a life
no one is innocent, so forcing the rules or morals we follow onto someone else is just plain wrong to me
Old 24-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #58
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This video was shown a few years back at my work during a safety meeting.
The story is that the driver goes up on the tanker to check the level in the tank.
Apparently... He uses his phone as a torch to see in, which is what causes the explosion, or so we were told at the meeting anyway.

The youtube video claims he uses a lighter (which I dont believe) but one of the first comments also mentions he uses a phone.

Here is the video anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5M--0CSZ1I
Old 24-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #59
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You blew up at him, he should have blown up at you
Everyone blows up
Old 24-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #60
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can I say I totally appreciate the response and opinions on this thread; it's great to have a decent debate on the issue.
I'm willing to stand corrected. I like Dr Karl and Mythbusters and was mainly thinking of a quick bit of vision that showed a fireball from a pump in the US 'not phone related' either.
and 'Zoolander' only kidding..
It was a hot day, the servo was packed and I could see a teenage boy in the passenger seat of a Falcon XT in front of van of the phone user. I had 2 seconds to react\respond
and to me it was blatantly wrong.(the bloke on his phone merrily pumping away)
1. Isn't there the stories of a guy who lived with the bears and was killed by one? and a guy who had a hippo for a pet which crushed him..and Ziegfreid and Roy and their tiger/s?
2. Yes I've got bluetooth in the car and took a work call only 10 min earlier. (and survived)
3. Look it's coming up to Easter w'end and there's so many more cars making unfamiliar trips so yes I should be careful on the road with my approach and attitude...

Last edited by martyal44; 24-03-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Closed Thread