Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #31
Agile

Default Re: Australian parts industry goes on the front foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
Cue all the journalists and euro / japanese fanboys saying "let the dinosaurs die".

The mentality of the car-buying public in Australia is disgusting (to say the least). There isn't any pride in what Ford / Holden (the locals) can do. I think the FG Falccon is a world class product! Sure, it might have some niggly issues, but nothing catastrophic. Ever driven an Alfa Romeo or BMW? Golf GTi's are shocking car's with all their woes; yet no one bags them out (whole crowd out there that love their Golf's more than their own families ffs!!!).

The Australian Government needs to step in and support the local car industry - it need private AND corporate buyers to buy local products. What can they do? How about removing the LCT on locally produced cars, make purchasing a local car tax deductable (or GST exempt) including all running costs, remove FBT payments on anyone who leases a local car, force governments and government owned companies in all states to buy local, and do something about petrol price gouging! This government needs to really look at where it spends its (or the tax-payers) money (how much are asylum seekers, dole bludger, etc costing this country????) and stop dragging Australia down until we are poorer than Vietnam!

/End Rant
And what is your local Federal Member of Parliaments name ? What is their email address ? Do you know how to do a header for a letter and perform a "cut and paste"? Can you bring yourself to combine all three ?

As I have posted before, as well as having a whinge on AFF, do something positive . Help out by telling the pollies how you feel, DIRECTLY.

Dont just hope that your local MP is a diehard fan of AFF. Chances of that are ZERO !!!
Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #32
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agile View Post
And what is your local Federal Member of Parliaments name ? What is their email address ? Do you know how to do a header for a letter and perform a "cut and paste"? Can you bring yourself to combine all three ?

As I have posted before, as well as having a whinge on AFF, do something positive . Help out by telling the pollies how you feel, DIRECTLY.

Dont just hope that your local MP is a diehard fan of AFF. Chances of that are ZERO !!!
Some mates and I actually did this last year. It is one of the reasons the percentages of locally made cars in government fleets was unearthed. GoAuto then turned up the blowtorch and revealed that one state government in particular has only 30% of its vehicles as Australian made. 25% for local governments on average, nationally.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin

Last edited by Road_Warrior; 17-03-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #33
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets not forget big business too with their fleet buying. It is funny that ANZ and other big banks lobbyed hard to have legislation which helps part way to keep the banks from being bought out by foreign banks because it is in the interest of Australia.

Yet around here the ANZ Agribusiness cars are Klugers... So where is that in the "interest of Australia"? They should be Territories.

When Falcon wagon was cancelled and there was talk of Telstra purchasing Mondeo wagons instead, I wrote an email to the Managment explaining that as part of their social charter they should be buying Australian where possible, I got a good reply explaining they would take my comments on board and they take supporting business in Australia very seriously. I think they ended up in the Holden Sportwagon (which probably had nothing to do with what I said lol).
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #34
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Are you talking Broadmeadows Assembly or what Ford Australia used to make 30-odd years ago from a collective of plants around the place? The current plant capacity is 120,000 units/pa and even then that is theoretical based on some process and supply bottlenecks.
I'm talking Broadmedows. For some reason I thought it was 200,000? I dont really know the answer, that was just the number I've had in my head for the last 4-5 years for some reason. 120,000 would change my cals a little!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #35
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
I'm talking Broadmedows. For some reason I thought it was 200,000? I dont really know the answer, that was just the number I've had in my head for the last 4-5 years for some reason. 120,000 would change my cals a little!!
It could have been in the 1970's, I don't know, but I don't think it can be done now, unless they had a big dollar spend on plant upgrades and acquiring some more space. Which would probably mean kicking FPV out, amongst other things.

The 200,000/pa could have been Broady and Homebush combined when Ford was making cars in NSW.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 18-03-2013, 03:02 AM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
i hardly think the governments sitting back with glee that the auto industry is going broke and really its there own dam fault for serving us up second rate cars all the time compared to world standards before other people get upset and yes i know its a market specific car but the worlds caught up with Australia now, where no longer the far flung outpost. but i dont wanna see them leave so id happily pay more tax to have them stay.
it`s not just cars either, toyota, holden, ford all get/need small hand outs to stay viable building cars here, other industries struggling too, i won`t argue on your second rate cars comment(except i think it`s crap, no offence).

As a bloke that worked the wharfs for years, i made my living primarily on imports, which was just as well , i would have starved on our manufactured exports, the only conclusion i could possibly make is our leaders plans don`t include having much in the way of manufacturing and small industry in the future,.................... except when a bit of furore hits the news papers and they cry some crocodile tears and give a few small hand outs to appease the natives.
Just my opinion of course, but i think they really don`t give a stuff too much as long as they don`t have to make any hard unpopular decisions, this is the only conclusion i can come up with as the problem(import dumping) has been snow balling for years(decades), and it seems no pollie will do do anything about it.
until such time locals will continue to struggle imo, regardless of how good they are.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #37
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
what we need is the local banks to give lower interest rates on local purchases,
keep the regular rate's for imports.
also insurance companies should help as well a falcon would be cheaper than a mondeo to repair.

this gets around tariffs, and promotes buy Australian..
Could car manufacturers tie in with other local industries to provide incentives? e.g. ford owners get shopping discounts or cheap air tickets, while hyundai, mitsubishi and mazda owners get none.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #38
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The state governments should waive stamp duty and provide discounted registration for Australian built cars. That would sweeten the deal a little bit I reckon.
Old 20-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #39
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
The state governments should waive stamp duty and provide discounted registration for Australian built cars. That would sweeten the deal a little bit I reckon.
It could ,possibly
But Nissan are doin 1 % interest deals, the others are still at 2.9 %
Incentives or not , the interest deals would still win sales ,depending on what the incentives workout to be

Then the other issue is, many aren't fortunate to buy a new car,and choose to buy something a year or two older and save that massive first few year depreciation,or drive that old clunker till it wont go no more
What incentive do the less fortunate receive ...
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #40
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Today when yet another poorly-made, minimalist-quality trim component broke on my Ford I couldn't help thinking of this thread. I share the sentiments in principle but they really have to lift their game. There are good reasons people buy overseas and you can't blame the consumers for that.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #41
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord View Post
The high dollar is the NUMBER ONE misfortune for the car industry (and manufacturing in general). End of story. Something needs to be done about it.

There was an article in today's Herald Sun saying that the dollar is likely to rise to US$1.13 by the end of the year!

At that level, there is no way Ford would even consider keeping manufacturing in Australia (if they haven't decided FoA's fate already) past 2016.
The US Fed is printing like mad, a currency war and an attempt to make the DOW look good.

In AUS, Westpac began the task today of raising interest rates.

Last edited by Keepleft; 20-03-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #42
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Today when yet another poorly-made, minimalist-quality trim component broke on my Ford I couldn't help thinking of this thread. I share the sentiments in principle but they really have to lift their game. There are good reasons people buy overseas and you can't blame the consumers for that.
You're complaining about broken trim... On an SX Terry?! Unbelievable.
What about common rail turbo diesel problems on Euro, Jap and Korean cars.
VAG DSG issues, Fiesta powershift problems, Nissan and Honda CVT issues. Chrysler V6 oil consumption and 4wd issues. etc.
A piece of interior that had broken off most likely from owner neglect will be a walk in the park.
But I do love it when my Aussie Ford ticks over yet another 100,000km trouble free and I'm sure thousands of taxi drivers do too.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #43
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
You're complaining about broken trim... On an SX Terry?! Unbelievable.
It's a 2006 Ghia and the second Territory we've owned. Both have had issues with cheap interior items, not to mention the ball joint, suspension and window/door issues. Last year I was driving a 2006 Skoda Octavia that had already done twice the km of our Territory (20,000) and the difference in build quality (and reliability) was palpable. Australian quality is not up to the mark and no amount of patriotism compensates for that.
Old 21-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #44
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i haven't even replaced a taillight globe on my near ten year old Ford..

true story..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #45
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Last year I was driving a 2006 Skoda Octavia that had already done twice the km of our Territory (20,000) .
Correction that should read 200,000.

But where are the lightglobes manufactured?!
Old 21-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #46
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
It's a 2006 Ghia and the second Territory we've owned. Both have had issues with cheap interior items, not to mention the ball joint, suspension and window/door issues. Last year I was driving a 2006 Skoda Octavia that had already done twice the km of our Territory (20,000) and the difference in build quality (and reliability) was palpable. Australian quality is not up to the mark and no amount of patriotism compensates for that.
Every car has it's issues. Be happy that it is a relatively cheap and simple excersize to be repaired rather than a long, drawn out claim battle with the manufacturer that will result in your car either not being fixed or having to pay for most if not all of the repairs yourself. There are cars out there with much bigger common issues that aren't just premature wear of suspension bushes. These cars also cost much more than your territory did when new as well.

Consider yourself lucky.
Old 21-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #47
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
Every car has it's issues. Be happy that it is a relatively cheap and simple excersize to be repaired rather than a long, drawn out claim battle with the manufacturer that will result in your car either not being fixed or having to pay for most if not all of the repairs yourself. There are cars out there with much bigger common issues that aren't just premature wear of suspension bushes. These cars also cost much more than your territory did when new as well.

Consider yourself lucky.
I know my reasons for owning a Territory (Australian-manufactured car) and I've accepted the trade-offs. My point is that the average car-buyer out there doesn't see it the same way. The Ford dealers in my part of the world also sell Skoda/VW. While waiting for the car to be serviced I've gone and sat in Skodas and Fords and the quality and finish difference hits you in the face, even before the first drive.

This is how others - as opposed to you and me - will see it and that's the issue. I still say Australian suppliers need to lift their game. You can't reasonably expect consumers to accept "near-enough" quality. Most people won't do the "balance sheet" calcs like you and I might.
Old 21-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #48
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you may have got lucky on your skoda, they are not without problems just the same as any other car, if you doubt that do a google for skoda problems , you will find plenty, as for the ball joint problems is`nt that problem fixed long ago??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #49
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Statistically Skodas are pretty problem-free but that's an exception to the general rule. Yes some brands are quite expensive and inconvenient to repair and that's the plus on the balance sheet of owning an Australian Ford. But what I'm getting at is that's not an excuse for near-enough quality from local suppliers (or the manufacturer).
Old 21-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #50
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
But what I'm getting at is that's not an excuse for near-enough quality from local suppliers (or the manufacturer).
Injectors failing on D4D Toyota diesels?
Shattering panoramic roofs of Hyundai Velosters?
Steering wheel of Chevrolet Cruze coming off?
Dodgy brake boosters on BMW X5's?

These are a select few examples of sub-standard or incorrectly fitted parts on foreign made cars, that are well documented and in some cases, had government recalls on and hysterical media exposure. Don't make it seem as though this is isolated to Ford Australia only.

And yes, the Territory ball joint design was rectified in 2009.

2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #51
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^
You and I know that but most people don't see it that way, otherwise Territory would be knocking off all competitors.
Old 21-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #52
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
^^
You and I know that but most people don't see it that way, otherwise Territory would be knocking off all competitors.
Build quality does come into effect when buying new, no doubt
But the total drive away price, the better interest deal, fixed priced services, road side assist goes ,sometimes a lot further to the consumer than a flash brand, or perhaps the odd trim failure .....
40,50 grand or more theres a lot to choice from
The early Nissan GU patrols had major issues with the 2.8 turbo diesels ,not lasting much more than 200 K before head issues, and the early 3 L GUs , are known as grenades .for a similar reason
Those in the know wont touch either with a 40 foot pole , hence these on resale arent worth much specially with an un open engine with high Ks ....
Id gladly take the trim failure all day over an engine failure, which the trusting I6 doesn't have much issue with
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #53
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
^^
Well...the Territory is more or less knocking off all competitors in its segment anyway. It is never going to sell in the thousands, the market is too fragmented for that. Even the top seller only manages 3500-4000 units on a good month.

As an aside, I know that with my Australian made Fords if I have a mechanical problem or part breakage in a remote or obscure location I know I have a reasonable chance of finding the right part or someone who can help. Such is the depth and reach of the Australian parts industry and the expertise that supports it.

I doubt you'd enjoy that with some imported cars. Try finding an alternator for your Skoda on a public holiday in a town such as Lake Grace and see how far you get. I went through this exact scenario 2 weeks ago, but with my AU wagon and I obtained a brand new alternator and fitted it myself on the same day. On a long weekend. In a country town 400klm from the city. I was prepared to go and scab one off a wrecked EL I found in a paddock and jury rig it just to get me home, but there was no need, because the supply chain supported me and my car - as it is and always has been intended to do.

6 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #54
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You're basing your experience on something which is 10 years old (Territory/B series interior). It is common knowledge that the AU and FG interiors have better materials and are built better.
Compare the B series interior build/materials to a lot of jappas and Korean cars from the same era and the Ford isn't too far behind, about on par with the Korean cars of the same year.
And yeah your post reminds me of my uncles E60 530i, cheap fold out cup holders with broken trim, broken trim on the dash and windscreen rubbers working themselves loose. Oh and air con about as useful as tits on a bull, when it is working.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #55
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Well...the Territory is more or less knocking off all competitors in its segment anyway. It is never going to sell in the thousands, the market is too fragmented for that. Even the top seller only manages 3500-4000 units on a good month.

As an aside, I know that with my Australian made Fords if I have a mechanical problem or part breakage in a remote or obscure location I know I have a reasonable chance of finding the right part or someone who can help. Such is the depth and reach of the Australian parts industry and the expertise that supports it.

I doubt you'd enjoy that with some imported cars. Try finding an alternator for your Skoda on a public holiday in a town such as Lake Grace and see how far you get. I went through this exact scenario 2 weeks ago, but with my AU wagon and I obtained a brand new alternator and fitted it myself on the same day. On a long weekend. In a country town 400klm from the city. I was prepared to go and scab one off a wrecked EL I found in a paddock and jury rig it just to get me home, but there was no need, because the supply chain supported me and my car - as it is and always has been intended to do.
You've missed his point though Road Warrior. Nobody cares if locally made cars are cheap or easy to repair. Most people that buy new cars and spend their hard earned (or hard borrowed) money don't even consider the cost of repairs because it's a new car and thus shouldn't need any. Nobody buys a new car with the intention of keeping it long enough for it the alternator to crap out, with the exception of old farts buying their last car and car enthusiasts who are becoming a rare breed.

Secondly, nobody cares if you can't get some random part in the middle of nowhere because 90% of the population lives in urban areas/capital cities. It's just not relevant to most people. Nobody gives it a second thought because it doesn't matter to them. Your point is valid but irrelevant for the vast majority of new car buyers.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #56
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Lol. You can't write a single post on this forum without mentioning Skoda! For the love of god, just go and buy one and put yourself out of your misery.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #57
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
Lol. You can't write a single post on this forum without mentioning Skoda! For the love of god, just go and buy one and put yourself out of your misery.
Ha ha, yes I am impressed by Skodas, but I'm sticking to owning an Australian Ford for some of the reasons alluded to in this thread. That's my personal "balance sheet". I think Ford_The_Win summarises well the basic point I was trying to make about the majority of car buyers.

Mmmm, now I must go and check what that ominous rattle down the back is! Whatever it is I'm sure the part will be cheap and easy to get out here in the bush (and cheaply made).