Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do agree with 'Filtering' and should be legal?
Yep .... done safely with stationary traffic, no probs 131 64.85%
No .... Bikes should sit in traffic like everyone else 71 35.15%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #31
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: Should motorbikes be allowed ride through stationary traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF-2K7 View Post
..... they should also stop at red lights, dismount and walk across pedestrian crossings, signal when turning, wear helmets, not ride on the footpaths, and pay some sort of registration as they are bound by the road rules too!Imagine how much easier it would be to 'report' a wayward cyclist if they had rego plates!!
wrong thread

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
This user likes this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #32
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
If they take off from the lights fast. Can't stand it when they ride through to the front then take off like a grandma.
You'll have no issues with the way I ride then.

Oo\===/oO
4 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #33
burnz
VFII SS UTE

they been doing it since jesus was a girl, whats the diffarence now?

just like leagalising weed.....killer.
Old 24-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #34
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

of course they should
anything that helps traffic flow and adds to potential safety should take precedence over the law (within reason of course)

if it becomes legal then that is even better
Old 24-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #35
RAPID_BA
Banned

Just wish could do it in car
Old 24-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #36
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lots of positives for all road users if this were made legal in all states of Aus. I already do it because it is safer to be moving through the traffic as Flappist has already alluded to.

There does need to be a public education program for all road users though. I am sure that outside of the motorcycling community, not too many road users in Sydeny would even be aware of this, which can lead to all kinds of confrontations, road rage, etc.
Old 24-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #37
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

in my opinion motorbikes should not have to pay any rego and ride at any speed the rider can do, it would be less dangerous to the rider as they will spend less time on the road due to getting to their destination quicker. They should also allowed to pop a wheelie when ever they want as this wil save on fron tyre wear so less rubber will need to be produced, saving the earth, see everybody will be happy, the riders, the greenies oh, except for the people stuck in their cages.

see we can all have silly ideas, can't we!

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
3 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #38
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

deleted
Old 24-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #39
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Don't mind that motor bike riders are allowed ASSUMING they are careful. But those on scooters... Hell NO! They seem to not even know that there are road rules let alone ride respectfully!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 24-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #40
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

The only people that will oppose this are non riders that know nothing about motorcycles and very jealous people that are stuck in traffic.
Old 25-01-2013, 02:43 AM   #41
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

As a new rider, i would also welcome this change. There have been a few times already when i pull up at the back of the line behind a truck. No traffic behind me due to lights etc. Next thing is a car or truck coming up behind me. So instead of moving to the front and getting out of the way, i find myself anxiously watching the mirror to make sure the vehicle behind me has seen me and stops in time. Bad enough when a car is in front of you, but there's nowhere to go when it's a truck. Being an L plater, i don't dare risk it, since one offense is a cancelled licence. Having been a car driver for many years, i have cringed when i rider gets within millimetres of my car, particularly if it's my Mustang. Extreme caution must be used. As stated, hopefully the DH's don't ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 25-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #42
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

When i am riding my bike.....hell yeah! i've been doing it for years anyhow...

When i'm driving my car.....hell no! i hate been passed by anyone anytime...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #43
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

I'm all for it as it gets the rider to the head of the queue and away from all the knobs which invariably inhabit packed, gridlocked traffic snarls.

It's amazing the amount of close calls I've had personally and witnessed where drivers are completely unaware of bikes very existence. And the jealousy that comes with being trapped in gridlock. To the point of deliberately squeezing across to thwart a riders progress through the chaos.

On the other hand there are a whole bunch of douchebags on bikes that seem to think it's their god given right to ruin the day of all and sundry on the road not on two wheels. Like the pack of Bandidos (yeah, poor example, I know) that I saw a few months back roaring up the M1 lane splitting at 130kph ++ with no indication, coming as close as humanly possible to every car they went past.

I think it should be mandatory for every new driver to ride for a period before getting their opens to truly appreciate how the other half lives. I had my car license for 9 odd years before I got my bike license and considered myself pretty obliging to bikes. But upon riding regularly it became painfully obvious just how lax I had been and how scary the general populous really is. If everyone got to experience this firsthand I think driver/rider relations would be far better and bike related fatalities would be reduced greatly.

Cheers, Tony
Old 25-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #44
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I'm on my bike in heavy traffic at the lights and "stay in my lane like a good little boy", I will actually take up more space in the queue than a car would...that's because I stop with about a car length in front of me and the car in front, have the bike in gear, an eye on the mirrors, and an escape route planned in case some numptie comes roaring up behind me and "suddenly notices" there's a bike in front of him...
Old 25-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #45
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

So many of my friends have been rear ended while stopped at lights, some were very seriously injured and have ongoing health issues as a result.
Old 25-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #46
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just completed my bike P test and the bloke conducting the test was telling us that not only is it legal in many other countries, that they actually test that you can safely do it. This is how it should be here too I think.
Old 25-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #47
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just dont try and do it when the traffic starts moving,alot of the time you need to time your move so that the traffic dosnt strart moving when you are trapped in between the cars.
Old 25-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #48
max_torq
From the Futura

no worries.. let them get clear of the pack of cars.
Old 25-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #49
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it legal if a person in a car slowing to a set of lights predicts that the bike 100m behind him will filter past, so as he's pulling up he moves closer to the car in the lane next to him, leaving a gap of bike handlebars -1"??
Old 25-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Is it legal if a person in a car slowing to a set of lights predicts that the bike 100m behind him will filter past, so as he's pulling up he moves closer to the car in the lane next to him, leaving a gap of bike handlebars -1"??
Yes it is. And good on him for making a much larger space to go past on the other side of his car.

A classic from a lot a years ago happened just north of brisbane when a superhero had a habit of opening his door at traffic lights to stop bikes.
He screwed up big time one day when he failed to notice that the bike he was blocking had blue lights.......

Another one was the reverse when a nasty little worm on a scooter (retired tax inspector) used to ride from Prawle to Pialba (Maryborough/Hervey Bay Road) daily and sit in the middle of the road at 60km/h (100 zone) blocking traffic.
After a few weeks and several complaints he was intercepted and fined. He decided to fight it in court and after hearing his story the couple of hundred dollars was upgraded to a months suspension and a couple of thousand dollars with a warning that if he appeared again for the same offence it would be two years.

Ignorant self centered attitudes are not confined to either cars or bikes...

Last edited by flappist; 25-01-2013 at 02:07 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #51
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no problem with legalising it when vehicles are stationary at the lights
they need to be aware of when the cars start moving though..

But I do dislike bikes passing down the middle on the freeway
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 25-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #52
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_ View Post
Just wish could do it in car
Pretend you are a soccer mum in an X5. They already do it.
Old 25-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #53
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No way.

It's dangerous, as it puts bikes in close proximity to cars and even worse trucks. And then there is the matter of bike riders scraping handle bars down the side of your car and/or knocking mirrors off your car, and then just disappear between cars to the front of the lane, leaving you to repair the damage to your car.

And Yes I have a bike license and have commuted on bikes for years from western Sydney into the CBD.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 25-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #54
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

^^ So your one of the bike riders I laugh at stopped in the line of traffic. I sit in my car thinking why bother with a bike if you are going to join the back of the line.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
Old 25-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #55
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83 View Post
^^ So your one of the bike riders I laugh at stopped in the line of traffic. I sit in my car thinking why bother with a bike if you are going to join the back of the line.
Well he makes one valid point. I've been caught more than once in a traffic standstill while the driver of a car passed by a motorbike gets out to try to deal with the remains of his mirror dangling by its electric wires down the side of his car.

The guilty party has meanwhile roared off into the distance, avoiding the responsibility of being relieved of the several hundred dollars a replacement mirror often costs.

I don't have a problem with bikers going up between the lines to take pole position at lights but it's incumbent on them to exercise some care and consideration while doing so.
Old 25-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #56
blue_ute

If the law is already here in wa it needs to be changed to stop scooters I've been stuck so many times behind them finally get in front then watch them roll past at the next lights and do it all again
Old 25-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #57
kicknsnare
Starter Motor

I think it strange that cyclists get a free bicycle lane for themselves so they can ride safely to where they want to go, and motorcyclists are legally required to ride amongst the traffic and not to be able to legally maneuver to get away from the traffic while stationary because it would be unsafe to do so. Obviously the law makers haven't been hit by a car while riding a motorcycle.
Old 25-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #58
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im a rider, and legal or not, I wont filter.

I accept that my bike is too big to do it safely, and the risk of being clipped just isnt worth it.

That said though when people are gracious enough to leave enough space for me to overtake through the flow of traffic, i'd rather get through the traffic that way instead. I can however see the benefits where other riders are more capable than I am.

If it were passed into law I'd support it purely for being allowed to do something rather than probibited from it. Its an option which has been denied for too long when it comes to motorcycling in NSW.
Old 25-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #59
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83 View Post

Maybe he just enjoys cruising on his bike and doesn't need to be everywhere 5 minutes ago.
Old 25-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #60
STINKY NINJA
Banned

No they should have to sit in traffic like everyone else!
Bike riders know they have more chance of getting hurt on the road and they still choose to ride,the people who hit bikes whilst driving cars are rubbish drivers who would have hit a car or bike regardless because they dont pay attention.
Changing laws wont fix the dangers of riding a bike on the road,make jokes about people driving in cages,ill take my four wheeled coffin/cage anyday at least if someone rear ends me(happened 3 times already) i most likely wont get a single scratch...
If i actually thought this law would make it safer id be all for it,getting to where you want to be 2 mins earlier because you were weaving through cars stopped at lights,safer????
Closed Thread