Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Stolen car- a strange story and some questions...

The guy who stole your car must be absolute low life scum.
Old 28-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #32
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a lot of "glass half empty" people here. Anyhoo, hope alls good asap. If I am ever in a situation needing help I would be looking for someone with your attitude. Cheers
Old 29-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #33
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, I wouldn't be going near the car with a 10-foot barge pole until your insurance company has cleared it as roadworthy... Tell them to go pick it up, it's what you pay them for!
Old 29-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #34
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Really weird circumstances to the theft , the car has been recovered but i being left until later on after work to pick it up and the first thing asked is what will class it as a write off?
You can find time to search the net to see what will class the car as a write off but dont have the time to collect it and not getting it towed by the police?
Hmmmm...........................
Old 29-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #35
peteypete
Sunny side up

I just hope for your sake, that the car is perfectly fine.
Yeah, it's great to have insurance and all but when it comes down to it, really we'd just be happy with our cars being fine and not have to worry about the **** insurance companies will put you through.
Genies>hi-flow cat>X-Force 2.5" Catback. Stage 2 crow cams. Powerbond 20% Underdrives. Bent tab. BC racing Coilovers. Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars. SS Inductions Growler + XR8 snorkel + Territory intake pipe. More to come. Thread coming soon.

[P]Plater

Past rides:

1998 NL Ghia Concorde (Now Dads car)

1954 Austin A40
Old 29-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #36
351hardtop
Wahoo

Strange story indeed....
Old 29-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #37
Squish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
Really weird circumstances to the theft , the car has been recovered but i being left until later on after work to pick it up and the first thing asked is what will class it as a write off?
You can find time to search the net to see what will class the car as a write off but dont have the time to collect it and not getting it towed by the police?

I can't exactly leave work in the middle of a shift to collect it. Especially as my lift is working the same hours with me. I searched the Internet and couldn't find anything conclusive, so I came to a place where experienced people could offer real advice. Which I got. I certainly don't want to drive an unroadworthy car if it looks that way. If I hadn't come here first I'd have got there, hopped straight in and driven home, which by the sounds of things would possibly have voided any insurance claims on potential damage.

The police called me (at work) and told me it had been found. The officer said that while it's policy to tow, since it was a long weekend, would I prefer to pick it up and have it fingerprinted on Tuesday, as opposed to having it locked in a yard until then. I was told just to keep driving to minimum and absolutely not to clean it.

And really, if I were trying to do an insurance job, do you honestly think I'd be dumb enough to put it online?

As for everyone else, thanks heaps for the support and advice. I'll be leaving shortly to go to the scene. I'll call the insurance company from there. I was only told the road it's parked on, not an exact location. Plus I have a spare key (the original hasn't been recovered), which should make towing easier. I've already been posting from my phone so I'll get an update ASAP.

Thanks again.
Old 29-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #38
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish
Why all the flaming? My first though certainly wasn't "these guys looks dodgy I shouldn't help them". My first reflex was to do exactly what I needed to make sure another life wasn't wasted on the road. I saw a group of scared, panicking teenagers and did all I could to help. If that makes me a bad person then fine.

I admit I shouldn't have left the keys in the car, but that doesn't mean I deserved to have it stolen does it? And I was already taking the guy home, there was no logic that said he should do what he did.
What you did was a compassionate act of selflessness. Shame on anyone here who gave you grief. I hope if something like this happens again, you would respond as you did, and help those in need. World needs more people like you mate. Next time be on guard with strangers.

For the future though, with these modern day Falcons, you can just push the volume button even without the keys... leaving the radio on for your passengers. You probably know this, but something to keep in the forefront of your mind in future.
Old 29-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #39
Squish

Ok. I've just got home from the scene, and this is where the story goes from weird to outright unbelievable.

I went to the location the police gave me, and couldn't find my car anywhere along the stret. Did several laps of what is a small street. Called the police to ask where it was precisely, and it wasn't there. Long story short the car has been stolen again. Whether it was by the same person I don't know. I'm not sure if he made bail because he was apparently due in court the morning before he got caught and didn't show. The police did tell me that they searched him and his home for the keys and didn't find them, however they also say that it was locked when they saw it, with "no obvious damage". Which is a hell of a lot better than the initial call when they found it that was "I only know it wasn't set on fire" which is what got me worried enough to post in the first place.

All I can really say is that my mind is utterly blown.

Cheers,
Old 29-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #40
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol... This is why you shouldn't have left it mate... The insurance company could have towed it quite easily without the keys- they'd just drag it up onto a flat bed...

If I had to guess, I'd say the thief left the keys in it, and either came back to it, or someone else smashed the window with a view to seeing what's inside, and found them so decided to take it for a ride...

As for the guys saying the insurance companies have X% of the value before they write it off, that complete and utter BS... Simply couldn't be more wrong...

They figure it out by a simple calculation, they look at the insured value of the car, look at the cost of repairs and then take away the amount they think they'll be able to sell the wreck for. Whatever they lose less money on, is what they do... Ie, if you car is insured for $20k, and the wreck is worth $8k, that's a loss of $12k, so if the repairs are going to cost more than $12k, they'll write the car off, if the repairs are less than $12k, they'll repair it.

With stolen cars, it's a little different, because they're liable for any mechanical issues caused by the theft, often, if the car looks like it was flogged, they'll write it off to save the potential money pit that the car could become...

There are exceptions, such as permanent structural damage, such as if the jaws of life are used on the car, that results in an instant write off, but you'd be amazing at how badly a car can be messed up and they repair it...
Old 29-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #41
brydie76
Moff-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
I passed a Commodore today who was having car troubles, they looked dodgy, so i kept going. I have stopped in the past before, but no way in some situations. By the sounds of it you did the right thing but you say they were teenagers. I wouldnt have blinked twice at them if i was you!
So if I or anybody else my age had an accident and you were nearby, you wouldn't help because I look young and must therefore be suss?

Thanks.

On-topic, sorry to hear about your ordeal squish, especially after you did a really decent thing and kept a level head when many people likely would have panicked. I know it sounds horrid, but I do hope for your sake it is a write off so you dont get stuffed around with repairs and such and can just treat yourself to a replacement : )

Does your insurance have a discount/reimbursement for a hire car? I'd be reading the policy details and hitting them up first thing today if that was the case so you have a car over the long weekend. And I know my insurer writes off the car if it is not recovered after 15 days, which is also their max term for hire reimbursement (not that I can get a hire car anywhere...). You paid for that insurance, make the most of what you are entitled to in situations like this! : )

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
Old 29-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #42
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
@ Sprint,
Apparently their car was not stolen. But the driver was unlicenced. He was not the one who stole my car. He went to hospital with the girl.

I considered calling an ambulance but in my area at that time of night the ambulances come from around 30km away and I was 5km from a hospital. The kid was quite bad and I have a fair amount of first aid experience. It was much quicker to take them myself. And the hospital staff told me it was the right thing to do, and that the injured kid may well have not made it if I hadn't been there. The police met us at the hospital. That's how they had the guys details and arrested him fairly quickly.

Bro props for trying to help people...No one doe's that anymore and you just proved your bigger than most as you thought of others before yourself.

Yes it's sooooo easy for people criticize your actions but in the same jam I would think I would try to help first and let the cops deal with the rest later.

Good luck with your car and claim and Karma will smack that kid around for the rest of his life.Seen it happen way to many times...LOL

Again your a bigger man than most,should be more people around like you.
Old 29-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #43
K93George

That's terrible, I remember pulling over to a broken down commodore. I asked a few questions seeing if I could help but he wanted a ride to his work. I continued to ask questions where are you from, who do you work for etc. That obviously isn't enough to make him legit but his story made sense as I am good friends with who he worked for so I figured it wouldn't hurt to help out.

I would never give someone a ride in my weekend car, I used the company car :P
Old 29-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #44
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alll seems very dodgy Australian coming of age movie.

I'm not going to **** can you for taking them to the hospital because I reall don't know any of the circumstances, but if there hospital is 5km away there's a good chance there's an ambulance there that could be deployed, so keep that in mind for next time and to any other readers

Also (like I said I wasn't there so don't know) you really don't know the injurys so moving him could have done more harm than good, and on paper I would have looked after basic life support rather than trying to transport him

That and I wouldn't want his blood etc all over my interior (yea I'm a heartless barsted)

I hope it all works out ok for you

When it's done I would be writeing a screenplay I'm sure there's a number of home and away actors that want to break in to the big screen

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 29-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #45
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok. I've just got home from the scene, and this is where the story goes from weird to outright unbelievable.

I went to the location the police gave me, and couldn't find my car anywhere along the stret. Did several laps of what is a small street. Called the police to ask where it was precisely, and it wasn't there. Long story short the car has been stolen again. Whether it was by the same person I don't know. I'm not sure if he made bail because he was apparently due in court the morning before he got caught and didn't show. The police did tell me that they searched him and his home for the keys and didn't find them, however they also say that it was locked when they saw it, with "no obvious damage". Which is a hell of a lot better than the initial call when they found it that was "I only know it wasn't set on fire" which is what got me worried enough to post in the first place.

Cheers,
wtf man! if police find a stolen car isnt it evidence for court? or dont they make sure its not left for another crim?

I cant imagine police leaving a stolen car by the road , with keys still in it?
Old 29-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #46
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brydie76
So if I or anybody else my age had an accident and you were nearby, you wouldn't help because I look young and must therefore be suss?

Thanks.

young or old to me, at 3am hooning in streets they are asking for it, almost killing the passengers in the process by the sounds.

It was obviously speed and loss of control, they could have went through a bedroom or in a house.
Old 29-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #47
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Ease up guys

Car was stolen Thursday Morning around 3am
The OP was Thursday Night at 8pm - then the op posted 2 hours later that it was found .

In reference to a total loss depending on your insurer you may have new for old replacement of a vehicle if a total loss if the car is less than 2 years old or 3 years old (depending on insurer) if you purchased the car brand new or as a demo model - refer to your pds

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 29-09-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: corrected as car was locked when police found it :)
Old 29-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #48
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Quote:

Cheers,
Usually if you miss a court date, they still deal with the person in their abscence. If the offence is minor they'll issue a fine. Otherwise it will be a failed to appear warrant for their arrest.
If it is an adult court, you can call them if you have the persons name and they should be able to tell you what the outcome of a matter is. Children's court will tell you nothing, unless you are a relative.
Any case it wont be long before he gets unstuck if he is on the run. Not many places to hide these days.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope things work out for you. The world would be a better place if there were more people like you.
Old 29-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #49
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Ease up guys

The OP was Thursday Night at 8pm - then the op posted 2 hours later that it was found .

In reference to a total loss depending on your insurer you may have new for old replacement of a vehicle if a total loss if the car is less than 2 years old or 3 years old (depending on insurer) if you purchased the car brand new or as a demo model - refer to your pds.
Agree, but what I can't figure is why the police, didn't impound the car, (long weekend or not) & told him to go get it & have it fingerprint tested on Tuesday.
Anyone with half a brain or who has ever had anything broken into, let alone a cop, would know, you are not allowed to touch it, as your fingerprints will rub off the evidence. In this case where would the fingerprints be, on the drivers door handle, on the steering wheel & on the gear stick. You get in & drive it home, where do you put all your paw prints? The crims prints wouldn't still be there on Tuesday.
Sounds like the police couldn't be bothered doing their job, if that story's totally correct, & them knowing it was involved in a crime & that leaving it, the evidence could be stolen again, in my opinion, leaves them as having some or full responsibility, for it being stolen again & if evidence/proof can't be proven in court against the thief.
Old 29-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #50
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Why all the flaming? My first though certainly wasn't "these guys looks dodgy I shouldn't help them". My first reflex was to do exactly what I needed to make sure another life wasn't wasted on the road. I saw a group of scared, panicking teenagers and did all I could to help. If that makes me a bad person then fine.

I admit I shouldn't have left the keys in the car, but that doesn't mean I deserved to have it stolen does it? And I was already taking the guy home, there was no logic that said he should do what he did.

People are great at hindsite...Personally I reckon you did the right thing, which is a rarity these days...Just an unfortunate thing you got a scumbag that wanted to screw you over by nicking your car.

The ones that are flaming you, I could guarantee they'd be the first ones on here, whinging and whining if they were in a similar situation....Get hit by a drunk driver, have someone like yourself, capable of administering first aid, yet decide to leave them be until an ambulance arrives...or even not be bothered to help what so ever...

So a big congrats for helping save a couple of lives and I hope you get your car back in one piece

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 29-09-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 29-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #51
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
The police do not always tow stolen cars. The police will only tow it, if they think it can not be driven, or is blocking traffic.
Old 29-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #52
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania
Agree, but what I can't figure is why the police, didn't impound the car, (long weekend or not) & told him to go get it & have it fingerprint tested on Tuesday.
Anyone with half a brain or who has ever had anything broken into, let alone a cop, would know, you are not allowed to touch it, as your fingerprints will rub off the evidence. In this case where would the fingerprints be, on the drivers door handle, on the steering wheel & on the gear stick. You get in & drive it home, where do you put all your paw prints? The crims prints wouldn't still be there on Tuesday.
Sounds like the police couldn't be bothered doing their job, if that story's totally correct, & them knowing it was involved in a crime & that leaving it, the evidence could be stolen again, in my opinion, leaves them as having some or full responsibility, for it being stolen again & if evidence/proof can't be proven in court against the thief.

The police have teams that will go to the car and finger print it. But in this case the OP was taking the guy home, this could be argued that finger prints gathered were there before the theft.

The police do not have to tow thew car, they do not own the car. They asked the OP what he wanted and they did so. The police have no responsibility at all.

For people who are sounding like the OP had anything to do with the theft, get a life. The guy helped out and got shafted twice. It may sound strange and dodgy but I can say if it happened to you, you would not want anyone saying you were involved. If it was dodgy, I do not think he would be posting on here for advice.

To the value of the write off. If the car is damaged more than 75% of the value they will write the car off. If the car has structural damage it will be a write off.

The only thing that may happen is the insurance company will make you lodge 2 claims, due to the second theft. This means 2 excesses, but in your policy you may have a free hire car for theft.
Old 29-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #53
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ease up on the OP he did a good thing and was paid back by some oxygen theif stealing his car. Sure leaving the keys in the car was probably not the best move but being too trusting is not a crime.

the one great annoyance on this forum the negativity from the usual suspects. the majority of forum members are good constructive members but there will always be some who will spread negativity and suspicion

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 29-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #54
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I wonder what the insurance company will make of it being stolen twice in 24hrs? Why wouldn't you leave work when your car was found to make safe a 20k+ asset? Especially one you were worried about being a write off or did you wish it was a write off? Couldn't even arrange a tow.
The actions of all concerned in this story here dont add up as far as I'm concerned, dont know what Insurance company your with but you will be waiting a while for a resolution here it all sounds wrong the whole thing.
Anything in the news about this accident and injured people taken to hospital and car stolen driving one of the victims home surely it was covered somewhere even Today tonigh or ACA would love a fairy story like this.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 29-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #55
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
I wonder what the insurance company will make of it being stolen twice in 24hrs? Why wouldn't you leave work when your car was found to make safe a 20k+ asset? Especially one you were worried about being a write off or did you wish it was a write off? Couldn't even arrange a tow.
The actions of all concerned in this story here dont add up as far as I'm concerned, dont know what Insurance company your with but you will be waiting a while for a resolution here it all sounds wrong the whole thing.
Anything in the news about this accident and injured people taken to hospital and car stolen driving one of the victims home surely it was covered somewhere even Today tonigh or ACA would love a fairy story like this.
The insurance company will not have an issue. I know of many cars that were stolen and then stolen again. If you look at the facts, 1 the police have charged the first offender and 2 the OP was at work when the second theft happened.

He chose not to tow the car, heaps of people do this, and the police can not tow a car unless the op has signed the authority to do so, or he says not to.

What the insurance may do is make the OP lodge to claims for each theft.

What seems dodgy to most people, does not sound dodgy to me. When you have worked in insurance claims and theft for 5 years there is certain things you look for, only a couple of things came up, but they come up in most thefts, also the story is consistent. If there was no police involved then I would think differently.

People need to stop thinking like is a criminal and has arrange this big thing to have his car solar.
Old 29-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #56
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Cut the OP some slack, theres a lot of armchair critics in here, easy to sit back and give him a hard time.
He completed a selfless act to help someone out and gets royally stuffed over, seems there isnt too many people that would have even contemplated acting in the way he did (Me inc) but it seems he made the right decision and most probably saved someones life, and lost his pride and joy at the same time, twice.
To the OP i hope you get it sorted out as soon as possible.
Any more assumptions they will be removed.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 29-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #57
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
The police have teams that will go to the car and finger print it. But in this case the OP was taking the guy home, this could be argued that finger prints gathered were there before the theft.

The police do not have to tow thew car, they do not own the car. They asked the OP what he wanted and they did so. The police have no responsibility at all.

For people who are sounding like the OP had anything to do with the theft, get a life. The guy helped out and got shafted twice. It may sound strange and dodgy but I can say if it happened to you, you would not want anyone saying you were involved. If it was dodgy, I do not think he would be posting on here for advice.
I'm not saying the op had any dodgy thoughts about insurance, was involved (other than helping out), or it was the op's fault, I'm looking at it from a serious criminal theft case.

I know the police have teams that come out to fingerprint, I've had my house broken into & had my car broken into. Often in a stolen car case, they have no idea who took it & may never catch them, so fingerprinting is only a waste of time if they do find the car. In this case they knew who took it & went around to have a talk to them. The car is evidence that the thief was in the car, otherwise what proof do they have the thief is actually linked to stealing this car & any other crimes he decided to do between taking it & dumping it? There is no other known proof he did it other than the op's story, the police even told him to get it fingerprinted on Tuesday, whether he took it or not. When my house was broken into, the police caught the thieves, down the street as we came home whilst they were in the house, turned out they were known criminals & the fingerprints from our house placed them at the scene of the crime beyond doubt in court, not just going on our story/description.

The police told the op the car was locked when they found it, how do they know another crime hadn't been committed using it, but still unreported & the boot wasn't full of stolen goods? This guy was obviously some sort of crim as he'd didn't turn up for a court hearing, (innocent people defend themselves, if taken to court). The thief likely hid the keys, when he left the car, the police couldn't find them & had no proof he was actually involved (no hard evidence, prints or possession of stolen items), so let him go on that one, he likely went back later with the keys & took the car + anything else in it, & has committed another crime, got his goods & stripped the car, or given the car to someone else (drug dealer,etc.) or dumped & burnt it somewhere. It sound to me like this guy (not the op) was stupid, but wasn't dumb, he knew what he was doing.
Trouble is the police knew the car might be stolen again (dodgy area), & have now lost all evidence of the crime & any others that may have been committed.

I feel for the op, as I wouldn't like that to happen to me, & it wouldn't even enter my mind to steal someones car who was helping me, but coming from the city & having criminal extended family members involved in drugs & general theft, I know how crims think, what they do to allude police, who don't do their job properly, & get away with crimes due to lack of hard evidence. Before you ask, yes my extended family members have been to jail, a number of times, & yes I have in the past informed the police with information I've had on them. I try to have as little to do with them as possible, but as they say, you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family.
Unfortunately for the op, I don't see a happy ending here, other than insurance coming good & him getting a new car.
Old 29-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #58
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
The police do not always tow stolen cars. The police will only tow it, if they think it can not be driven, or is blocking traffic.

Well hello Captain Obvious.
They are only towed if they are in a dangerous spot , are being impounded if they are suspected of being involved in a serious crime or if the owner requests them to be towed when they lodge the stolen report.
Old 29-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #59
Squish

Quote:
The only thing that may happen is the insurance company will make you lodge 2 claims, due to the second theft. This means 2 excesses, but in your policy you may have a free hire car for theft.
Ironically I had comprehensive hire car cover, but got rid of it when I moved within walking distance of work. When I moved back out of town I forgot to put it back on my policy. Kicking myself now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania

I did think myself that it didn't sound right. The officer told me that since they had CCTV of him getting in my car at the hospital, and of him stealing the car from the servo, they just wanted to get a couple of prints to make their brief 100% watertight. I actually had the forensics team call me a while ago wanting to take prints today (not tuesday like I was told), and I had to tell him what had happened. If it had've been one day versus four I'd have got it towed. I'm pretty sure they were just stupid enough to let the same guy go, he's gone and found the keys where he'd hidden them, and taken it. Hopefully not to dispose of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Ease up guys

In reference to a total loss depending on your insurer you may have new for old replacement of a vehicle if a total loss if the car is less than 2 years old or 3 years old (depending on insurer) if you purchased the car brand new or as a demo model - refer to your pds

I had new for old if the car was under 2 years. That ran out about 3 months ago. It was insured for agreed value though, so I know my finance will be covered and I'll have a little bit left to start again with. That much is a huge relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint
wtf man! if police find a stolen car isnt it evidence for court? or dont they make sure its not left for another crim?

I cant imagine police leaving a stolen car by the road , with keys still in it?
They told me it had been locked. Combined with that and the fact they caught the guy, I thought it'd be ok, so while I was anxious I didn't feel like I had to rush. Obviously I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
Alll seems very dodgy Australian coming of age movie.

I'm not going to **** can you for taking them to the hospital because I reall don't know any of the circumstances, but if there hospital is 5km away there's a good chance there's an ambulance there that could be deployed, so keep that in mind for next time and to any other readers

Also (like I said I wasn't there so don't know) you really don't know the injurys so moving him could have done more harm than good, and on paper I would have looked after basic life support rather than trying to transport him

That and I wouldn't want his blood etc all over my interior (yea I'm a heartless barsted)

I hope it all works out ok for you

When it's done I would be writeing a screenplay I'm sure there's a number of home and away actors that want to break in to the big screen

With one of my jobs I've bocome quite familiar with the local ambulance roster, so it wasn't a guess that there wasn't one nearby. But that's politics that i don't even want to touch.

The guys with the kid had no idea of basic life support or first aid, let alone anvanced stuff, they had already dragged him across the grass. When he temporarily regained consciousness he freaked out and ruined any sense of preservation of his spine. At that point I figured any damage was done, and in the middle of my back seat with a friend either side supporting his head, with a rolled up jumper as a temporary neck brace, there wasn't much more I could have done. The hospital staff fully supported everything I did.

I think I lucked out a bit on blood. Didn't see much in the car. Then again I didn't have the car long after that either.

It might be quicker to sell my story to one of those shows than to wait for insurance. Even the police keep telling me they've rarely seen anything like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy
lol... This is why you shouldn't have left it mate... The insurance company could have towed it quite easily without the keys- they'd just drag it up onto a flat bed...
I was considering getting it towed, but I've heard a lot of horror stories from Falcons being towed. That aside from all the reasons above. I just wanted to take her home, or get any damage/write off sorted out straight away. Kind of regret that now... I'm probably guilty of being too trusting again in that department.

I haven't called my insurer yet, I will as soon as I post this, but its going to be a strange thing to explain. Apologies for the monster post. I'll keep updating as I find stuff out.

Once again, thanks for the support and advice. I'd have been up a well known creek in a barbed wire canoe without you guys and girls.

Cheers,
Old 29-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #60
Squish

Ok, called the insurance company (AAMI), and there shouldn't be any problems with it. They said they would chase up the police for details. I'm pretty sure my policy says that I don't have to pay excess if I can identify the theif, which is good. Especially if it was the same person.
Closed Thread