Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #31
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ba i6 intake on Au i6 works!

Yeah , those factory 3.9 multipoint air boxes sucked .... Or DIDN'T apparently , hehe .

I ended up running a fully shielded unifilter funnel pod back in the day . Mandrel bent piping and completely shielded from all engine bay heat .

Yep , those figures with the 3.9 inlet manifold ! Never got to fit the ef inlet , mighta got that magic 13 I could never touch .

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #32
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Wouldn't an intake from a Territory work better than a stock BA/BF one? It doesn't have the indents on the underside so flow would be a little better...although you do need the spacer bolts so it clears the manifold...

Does it even fit? The concertina tube looks like so wouldn't that negate the need for any extra DIY piping?
Also, I've read that on B-series cars it rubs on the bonnet lining...would the same issue occur with AU's?

Is there anybody that has tried it and documented it somewhere?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #33
AU Mont
Banned

from what ive seen the BA intake only fits because it has that sunken section to sit close to the manifold. A territory intake would almost certainly sit too high and foul the bonnet on an AU.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #34
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Wouldn't an intake from a Territory work better than a stock BA/BF one? It doesn't have the indents on the underside so flow would be a little better...although you do need the spacer bolts so it clears the manifold...

Does it even fit? The concertina tube looks longer so wouldn't that negate the need for any extra DIY piping?
Also, I've read that on B-series cars it rubs on the bonnet lining...would the same issue occur with AU's?

Is there anybody that has tried it and documented it somewhere?
Corrected for lack of understanding of the English language
Old 08-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #35
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

^ ^ ^ +1 what AU Mont said, also the gain from trying to make it fit properly is probably not worth it either. Dave, i'm interested in knowing if the territory conertina pipe is about 3/4inches longer than the ba falcon type, so all you need is the ef air box lid & it all should bolt together? Definitely look far tidier than having to put another pipe in the stock au air box imo.

mmm,

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #36
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

G'day all,

its been around 6 months since i fitted the ba intake pipe on my au and i can confirm my au seems to be using a little less fuel now since ive owned it, around 9.6lt combined cycle (9.15lt when new, closer to 9.9lt when i first purchased the au, 300,000k on the engine now) & goes a little better too on 91ulp. After the next service i'm confident the fuel economy will be a bit better again

The pvc airbox adapter is still fitted and has not melted & just to make sure it didnt melt, i insulated it with a neoprene sleeve.....! My au has been driven in the high 30's regularly this summer (long & short distances) & it seems the adapter is handling the heat ok atm.

For less than $70 & 20min fitting time, the ba intake pipe has imo improved the looks of the engine bay whilst keeping a stock appearance & has provided slightly improved fuel economy / power. I'm happy with it!

Anyone interested in doing this mod might find this link helpful -

http://www.autospeed.co.nz/cms/A_107828/article.html

p,s - thanks to efxr6wagon & Uncle Ken for providing the heads up on this mod

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #37
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I have had one of those on my car now for almost 2 years now. It did make a difference and I used a piece of Steel tube, which I flared one end, and fitted it all up, ripper.

Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #38
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
G'day all,

its been around 6 months since i fitted the ba intake pipe on my au and i can confirm my au seems to be using a little less fuel now since ive owned it, around 9.6lt combined cycle (9.15lt when new, closer to 9.9lt when i first purchased the au, 300,000k on the engine now) & goes a little better too on 91ulp. After the next service i'm confident the fuel economy will be a bit better again

The pvc airbox adapter is still fitted and has not melted & just to make sure it didnt melt, i insulated it with a neoprene sleeve.....! My au has been driven in the high 30's regularly this summer (long & short distances) & it seems the adapter is handling the heat ok atm.

For less than $70 & 20min fitting time, the ba intake pipe has imo improved the looks of the engine bay whilst keeping a stock appearance & has provided slightly improved fuel economy / power. I'm happy with it!

Anyone interested in doing this mod might find this link helpful -

http://www.autospeed.co.nz/cms/A_107828/article.html

p,s - thanks to efxr6wagon & Uncle Ken for providing the heads up on this mod

cheers, Maka
Well done lad. I opted away from using a PVC joiner from the box (with LPG I can get backfires which might blow the pipe). I reckon it does look better under the bonnet and feels and sounds better with the bigger intake. Good to see you are getting small gains in fuel as well.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #39
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

G'day all, thanks for the kind words Uncle Ken! Uncle Ken, good move on using a metal pipe for lpg, i wouldnt trust the pvc either!

For people considering this mod the pvc will be fine for petrol! Just in case anyone is wondering about the neoprene sleeve- its a black beer cooler thats been cut to size & fitted between the pipe end & airbox.

3 reasons why i did the sleeve- heat soak, looks & looks lol!

Have a look at Papa's ba setup in the second photo between the pipe end & air box, theres a drop / gap in diameter, so by using the sleeve, it reduces any heatsoak very well (if using pvc) & provides a more uniform look. Might be worth considering i reckon! All the best guys!

cheers, Maka

Last edited by Maka; 05-01-2013 at 10:53 AM.