Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #31
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: VicRoads RWC and extractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
They send them to be tested at the EPA. Same point I made earlier that people who do RWC's are not the EPA.

Its the EPA's job to test how much noise a car is making, not a mechanic doing a RWC.

If I had a mech telling me its too noisey i'd argue the point that he's not the EPA. Just having a noisey exhaust doesn't make a car unsafe. Thats the police and EPA's job to enforce.

Although maybe it does happen as some have said, but I disagree with it.
There are heaps of things that can stop you getting a RWC that I would not agree with. A dot on a windscreen is the first ...... have NEVER got a RWC without a new screen ....... and a slight tear on the front seat ..... and quite a few other things that would be considered not unsafe necessarily. AND its getting harder ........

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #32
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
They send them to be tested at the EPA. Same point I made earlier that people who do RWC's are not the EPA.

Its the EPA's job to test how much noise a car is making, not a mechanic doing a RWC.

If I had a mech telling me its too noisey i'd argue the point that he's not the EPA. Just having a noisey exhaust doesn't make a car unsafe. Thats the police and EPA's job to enforce.

Although maybe it does happen as some have said, but I disagree with it.

A RWC person has more say than a copper over roadworthy items.

Just think, a copper defects you, where does he send you to have offending items checked? The local copper???

Yes, I agree it's the EPA's job to enforce noise, but on the same token, if a RWC fella passes a nosiy exhaust and a copper nabs you straight afterwards and sends you to the EPA, who cops the roasting? Not you!!!!!

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Sorry, just noticed you're in Geelong...here in Queensland you do indeed get pinged for a car being too loud at a roadworthy. They might "not be the EPA", but they also know that if they pass a car for roadworthy, and it soon after gets done for excess noise (or anything else illegal or dodgy), the Transport Department will come looking for whoever gave the roadworthy with a pineapple and a tube of Deep Heat for a lubricant...

And it isn't the extractors that make a car "loud"...it's what's been done to the exhaust after that point that makes it loud. There are plenty of ways to make an exhaust have a nice note and still be well within the noise limits and still flow well. I've seen a 700hp R32 Skyline that was actually under the decibel limit because of a carefully designed exhaust system...a true sleeper.

Arguing with a roadworthy mechanic that he doesn't know what he's talking about and that whatever you're arguing the point on is, in your unexpert opinion, "safe" doesn't get you anywhere...
Must be the heat frying you Queenslanders brains, when it stops raining that is.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #34
webbiegareth

Okay you Victorian guys, has this been sorted yet? Have any of you tried to obtain a RWC with your exhausts?

My girlfriend has an AU with a totally shot exhaust (leaky manifold, hole in the engine pipe, holes in the mufflers). So basically it needs a complete new system.

I managed to pick up a 2nd hand pacemaker 4499's for not much more than a 2nd hand manifold, but I'm stumped what to do about the cat and the catback.

We also have a young child so I don't want the car that loud.

I'm seriously tempted to just get newish 2nd hand stock cat and stock catback, since they can be bought cheap, but it's a waste of the extractors then.

What can I do to have a cheap exhaust system that'll pass RWC? A 2nd hand stock cat with a 2.5" redback system with two mufflers and rear resonator? Or a high-flow cat? (surely that won't pass?)
webbiegareth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #35
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Where abouts in Vic do you live?
Old 21-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #36
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbiegareth
What can I do to have a cheap exhaust system that'll pass RWC? A 2nd hand stock cat with a 2.5" redback system with two mufflers and rear resonator? Or a high-flow cat? (surely that won't pass?)
This should be fine with the two mufflers & rear resonator....a high-flow cat won't make it louder necessarily, but it will give it a deeper note...
Old 21-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #37
webbiegareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
Where abouts in Vic do you live?
Melton, VIC. Otherwise known as Boganville.

I should say though, I don't just want to pass the RWC, I also don't want it defected when being pulled over (it's common over here in Melton). I'm more worried now about the Cat than anything else, apparently the 100CPSI ones that most people have are a big no-no.
webbiegareth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post