Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #31
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 
Default Re: Is the radiator stuffed?? (Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
In theory it should be ok. But the ecu will compensate and probably adjust itself with more fuel thinking the engine is too cold. That is my guess. im probably wrong.
What will happen is the thermos will still have the same set points. So what you will see (for example) while cruising in nice cool air, the needle will sit at the left half of the 'N', then when you sit in traffic or have the AC on during a hot day, the needle will rise to its usual point of the 'O'. So instead of a temp that basically stays around 198degf, it will fluctuate from 180degf to 198degf. The ECU see the engine as at full operating temp as anything above 170degf, so there will be no change in fuel consumption.

-Craig
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #32
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Craig I get the feeling from your post that the 198deg thermostat is preferable.
The thermo fans are less active now.
Would you replace it?

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #33
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Not at all Noddy, I have the same t/stat. You will just get a variation on the guage that you didn't have before, but nothing else. I only mentioned it so that you would now that this is normal. I lowered my fan settings a little to come on earlier, but your fans will switch on at the same temp as before.
So all is good, just drive it and enjoy.

-Craig
Old 06-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #34
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz
What will happen is the thermos will still have the same set points. So what you will see (for example) while cruising in nice cool air, the needle will sit at the left half of the 'N', then when you sit in traffic or have the AC on during a hot day, the needle will rise to its usual point of the 'O'. So instead of a temp that basically stays around 198degf, it will fluctuate from 180degf to 198degf. The ECU see the engine as at full operating temp as anything above 170degf, so there will be no change in fuel consumption.

-Craig
Thanks for that clarification.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #35
smally289
growing up is optional

If you want to stop the plastic tanks from cracking, drill a 1/8" hole in the mounting flange of the thermostat. This will allow a small amount of coolant to flow past the thermostat at all times, preventing thermal shock damage to the plastic tank. When left overnight, the coolant temp can drop very low (depending on ambient air temp obviously) and the first time the thermostat opens - bang - 90 degree coolant hits the plastic tank on the passenger side. This is why most tank problems are on that side.
After swinging spanners on Fords at dealerships for 23 years and having a mate that owns an ADRAD franchise, I can tell you this is real.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #36
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Although the idea of drilling a hole has already been covered in an earlier post, I never thought about the thermal shock to the plastic before, only the air bleeding. Thanks for adding that part, that's a good thing to know.
-Craig
Old 08-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #37
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Excellent! Tbh i wasn't too concerned if the thermostat had to be replaced due to the fact I need to decide whether to replace the "weak" factory valve springs or just bolt on some suitable AFR heads. The springs are always in the back of my mind when I take her for a run.*

Back to topic.*Both thermostats (old and new) already had bleed holes in them, with a little floating pin. The fans are still kicking in when I'm in traffic which I'm happy with.

Thanks,

Matt

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 08-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #38
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thermostat I recently put in also has the hole and small floating plastic ball attached through it, is that sufficient or does a separate hole need to be drilled?
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #39
smally289
growing up is optional

I'd go with a separate hole, or at a minimum, remove the plastic jigger.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #40
b2tf
not here much anymore

If I could ask a question related to this side of things:

At the moment I have drained all the coolant and have also removed the old (factory) thermostat from my XR8. The factory one has the hole in it also so I will copy that when I reinstall the new one, which doesnt come with one.

I have noticed that a surging type noise is evident coming from around the heater box area of the dash when driving, it sounds like air is stuck and pockets of it are moving around, but if the thermostat has the hole in it then shouldn't air not be an issue? The only other thing I can think of is a replacement header tank cap which I will grab on the weekend.

I plan to run the car with water from the hose just going through the system via the coolant tank until it comes out clear, then reconnect the bottom hose and fill with coolant. Is this correct?

And finally, who's running what coolant? I had Tectaloy Gold concentrate in there beforehand and I think I will go with it again but am open to suggestions.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #41
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
If I could ask a question related to this side of things:

At the moment I have drained all the coolant and have also removed the old (factory) thermostat from my XR8. The factory one has the hole in it also so I will copy that when I reinstall the new one, which doesnt come with one.

I have noticed that a surging type noise is evident coming from around the heater box area of the dash when driving, it sounds like air is stuck and pockets of it are moving around, but if the thermostat has the hole in it then shouldn't air not be an issue? The only other thing I can think of is a replacement header tank cap which I will grab on the weekend.

I plan to run the car with water from the hose just going through the system via the coolant tank until it comes out clear, then reconnect the bottom hose and fill with coolant. Is this correct?

And finally, who's running what coolant? I had Tectaloy Gold concentrate in there beforehand and I think I will go with it again but am open to suggestions.
I have run Tectalloy Gold aswell, but I have just purchased some product's from Mainlube,
239 kit, radiator flush,
102, coolant.
The coolant has a higher % of eth Glycol then the Tectalloy Gold, and it's also anti freeze/boil, where as the Tectalloy is only anti boil.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #42
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Aust, put a new heater tap on it while you are at it. A gates one. Only cost me $15. Mine split a while back and dropped its guts(coolant) all over the carpark at work in minutes. Lucky I wasn't out bush or similar. As for coolant, I use Nulon.
-Craig
Old 10-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #43
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

I used Nulon coolant as well. I've also been using their engine oils.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #44
b2tf
not here much anymore

What pressure do our cooling systems run at? Ellerys says 120-135kpa which sort of doesnt help as my factory radiator cap says 120kpa, but the replacement i have bought (which was specified for our cars) says to only run it on a 135kpa system. Can i use it or do I need a 120?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #45
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

It's neither here or there as you are running a lower temp now anyway. It's only a couple of psi difference.
-Craig
Old 10-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #46
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #47
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Side tank on passenger side split this morning. Ordered one from Natrad today after reading this thread - they have gone up to $220. Can't really complain - managed 204000k's - 10 years old.
Will fit it on Sat...least I get to use my 1/4 inch electric impact driver lol.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post