Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 02-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #31
Caydus

Default Re: WS Tyre Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo7

...advised not to order anything from China coz they're worse.
And then showed me a completely broken rim that had split in two that someone imported from there.
Then, shock horror..., he said in most cases the main manufacturer's rims are generally stronger.
Which now begs the question, how many manufacturer's rims are made in China now...
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #32
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting. On close inspection, the Conti's on the wife's WT Fiesta look more chewed than the Toyo Teo's on my Focus. No problem with tread, just the actual surface looks rougher. The thing is, I've done 14000 km in the Focus, and she's done 3000 km in the Fiesta. I would also say I'm more of a spirited driver, and the Focus is a heavier car.

Then again, the Teo is considered an "eco" tyre, so it's probably got a harder composition, perhaps at the expense of grip? Not that I've had a problem with grip at all, to be honest.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #33
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I finally booked in for some yokohama s-drives today. Got a really good price and they were in stock.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #34
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Interesting. On close inspection, the Conti's on the wife's WT Fiesta look more chewed than the Toyo Teo's on my Focus. No problem with tread, just the actual surface looks rougher. The thing is, I've done 14000 km in the Focus, and she's done 3000 km in the Fiesta. I would also say I'm more of a spirited driver, and the Focus is a heavier car.

Then again, the Teo is considered an "eco" tyre, so it's probably got a harder composition, perhaps at the expense of grip? Not that I've had a problem with grip at all, to be honest.

Contis are a softer compound when compared to the Toyo's.

Eco tyres are a sales pitch, aimed at the times. People automatically see or hear the word "eco" and immediately think it's got to be good for the environment and my hip pocket. etc etc, so marketting people focus on that for sell their product.

Toyo's don't have any wording like this on them either. They're just a harder compound that the Contis, therefore shouldn't "chop/feather" up as easy.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #35
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
seems the rims might be a bit soft.
All the Mk7 rims are, particularly the 16's.

All the people over in England are having problems buckling them...I did one of my 15's other day, cost me $50 to fix and that was the cheap way, to have it fixed properly will set you back $150 per wheel.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I put a dent in my 15" steel wheel, right on the outer rim when I hit a pothole hard, but we bashed it back out with a hammer.

Think I might keep the steelies on mine, a bit more durable.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #37
vhcbm

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I put a dent in my 15" steel wheel, right on the outer rim when I hit a pothole hard, but we bashed it back out with a hammer.

BORING!!!

I might put my 15's up for sale in a few weeks if you decide you want alloys. Just got to get my new ones first.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #38
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo

Another way I straighten them, is with a shifter. Fair enough the tyre is off the rim when it's done, but it's effective none the less.

So something else for people to keep in mind

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 03-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #39
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Friend of mine works for ROH and they say the import competitor wheels they usually test on their jigs literally crack and break in no time.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #40
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
Friend of mine works for ROH and they say the import competitor wheels they usually test on their jigs literally crack and break in no time.

ROH import wheels 4X4 steel wheels to sell themselves. Did your friend mention that those wheels are garbage too?

I used to work about 5 kays away from their S.A factory, so when ever we ordered a set of these wheels, we always made sure they sent out a minimum of 2 sets, just so we had half a chance of getting one half decent set from them. 9 times out of 10, we still had to get the rep to bring more out.

So the moral of the story here is, most cheap import wheels are garbage.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #41
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Decent alloys cost a lot: as in thousands. The cheap alloys used by Ford or any other budget car manufacturer (ie not Ferrari/Porsche etc), let alone those wheel and tyre packages for $1000 from "Hectic Tyre shops" are rubbish and will buckle sooner than later. As with tyres you get what you pay for with alloys. Some are so bad it's amazing they're allowed to be sold/fitted in Australia.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #42
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
ROH import wheels 4X4 steel wheels to sell themselves. Did your friend mention that those wheels are garbage too?
Nah we were talking about their locally made alloy wheels for ford/holdens etc, so nah i dont see why my friend would bring up 4x4 steel wheels.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #43
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Decent alloys cost a lot: as in thousands. The cheap alloys used by Ford or any other budget car manufacturer (ie not Ferrari/Porsche etc), let alone those wheel and tyre packages for $1000 from "Hectic Tyre shops" are rubbish and will buckle sooner than later. As with tyres you get what you pay for with alloys. Some are so bad it's amazing they're allowed to be sold/fitted in Australia.

It's the lack of support on the inside of the rims that cause the problems. Not the quality of the rims.

Nice example. I took a 22" factory Porsche rim (yup big expensive Porsche alloy) to a wheel repairer to be fixed Monday. Reason being. Buckled inside edge. It's one of the worse buckles I've seen in quite a while IMA.

Old 13-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #44
shroomies49

I'm sitting on 54k with my original contis ... lol

I'll be finding new tires in the new year i think ..lol Tho they still look ok

=)

To date: Phillips H1 & H7 Bluevision bulbs, K&N Panel filter,Centre console, clicon system for gps

To Do: 17" wheels and possibly lowering
shroomies49 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 12:13 AM   #45
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally got the new tyres the other day. No noisier than the conti's thank goodness, but doing trip over xmas with a mix of hills and highway so will be interesting to see how they go. conti's made 37,000kms but the insides on all 4 were stuffed.

Got nitrogen for the first time too. See how that goes as well.

975.jpg
Old 20-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #46
vhcbm

Well the stock Hankook's are about to come off at 27k, pretty impressed for what I got out of such a rubbish tyre. Considering they have done a track day and a few other brutal tasks.

They could probably make it to 30k but one has a slow leak that's just getting worse and I'm getting some bigger wheels. One is also buckled which doesn't help. The replacement tyre will be the Falken RT-615 which should be interesting, they are however coming with the wheels and have done about 10000km's already.

Old 30-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #47
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So have come back from trip with them. They are actually a tad more noisy than the conti's at hwy speed. But anything under 80-85 and ya cant tell.

They are way more grippy than the conti's and i thought the conti's were awesome. Coming home through the hills i could easily carry more speed through the twists.. easily...

Bloody BobJane guys didnt put the spare back properly either. Cheers BobJane guys..