Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #31
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VE 6 cylinder hush up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Maybe your BA had been thrashed as you weren`t the original owner?
My sv6 would have been thrashed too because it was a manual ex government ute which is beside the point the ba xr8's had those problems regardless of being thrashed or not because of a few design flaws. There are alot of other people on the forums with the same problems
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #32
bmorris

I think its safe to say that Holden have their own problems as well, but I wouldn't go as far to say more so then the Falcon. You only need to look around this forum to see that, but naturally on a Ford forum there will also be more problems reported with Fords, because thats what the majority of members drive.

This thread doesn't need to turn into a Holden has more problems then Ford etc battle.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #33
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
timing chain issues have been evident since the rattletech motor was released in the vz.
i was watching fifth gear segment yesterday about rolls royces. aparently Mr Royce didn't want to use chains in his engine because they often break (circa 1911)
Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #34
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Prob not a hush up

Just not lil sookies that whinge about everything on their Ford and think EVERYTHING should be covered by a Ford warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting for a thread with some one complaining after 12 months that their Ford's Tyres has lost Tyre Pressure!!

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by wulos; 24-09-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate content.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #35
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

as mentioned, this has been an issue with a number of alloytec motors since they were introduced over 7 years ago.
Old 13-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #36
Fordlover1313
Banned

my dads ve s1 died after 50000k
Fordlover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #37
Fordlover1313
Banned

08 model
Fordlover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #38
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
80,000km 1 year old Caprice SIDI V6 drank almost 2L of oil between services. Dealer said that it's "common" for them to do that. Really? 2L? It's ok though, they know about it - so it's got a 6.7L sump on it. Lol.

Have a engine light coming on sometimes too, Holden dealer just clears the code and gives the car back. Will make sure I pay more attention as to what code it is next time.

Still love the car though. It's great.
drinks oil and keeps turning engine on ( so there must be a fault they are ignoring) yea sounds like a great car to me [/sarcasm]

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #39
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Just had a look on Street commodores forums and there are plenty on there with timing chain issues, between $2500 to $4000 depending on how bad it is. Never seen ford 6's with timing chain issues until they have done over 200,000km and usually closer to 300,000 unless they have been thrashed to death. EA on use to use double row timing chain which was nice and strong. I see that the BA on has gone back to single row which is the same as the V6 commodore uses but the Falcons is a wider section single row
Old 24-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #40
Paxton
Cobblers!

The Alloytec engine was Holden's first attempt with OHC V6 engines. Let's not forget that the Buick Boat Anchor was OHV, with no need for camshaft chains or belts.

Ford had to learn this the same way Holden did in the late 80's, when the 250 X-Flow went OHC, however they over engineered that part of the engine, as has been said, with two Camshaft Chains, which acted as redundancy if one failed. It is just a shame they didn't spend the same amount of time engineering the Head Gasket material...

I'm quietly impressed with the Di engine of Holden, however for long term reliability, the I6 beats it hands down. I will be interested to see how the Duratec engine goes after 2015.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #41
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

We did the chains on an VE a few months back, it is common but only happens in a small percentage of vehicles are is normally associated with, but not entirely to, oil not being changed regularly.
We've also seen a captive that broke several rocker arms and lifters, which apparantly in also not uncommon.

Fords do not get off the list either, We have seen quite several Ford BA/BF/FG's with timing chain/guide issues, got one in the shop at the momment 50k FG that's jumped a tooth on both cams due to a broken guide.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #42
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8lover
Code comes up as code poo18 crankshaft intake camshaft position!
LOL classic code, Poo is about right
Old 24-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #43
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
We did the chains on an VE a few months back, it is common but only happens in a small percentage of vehicles are is normally associated with, but not entirely to, oil not being changed regularly.
We've also seen a captive that broke several rocker arms and lifters, which apparantly in also not uncommon.

Fords do not get off the list either, We have seen quite several Ford BA/BF/FG's with timing chain/guide issues, got one in the shop at the momment 50k FG that's jumped a tooth on both cams due to a broken guide.
Gotta love real world stats

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #44
nb_351
building the xe...

everything has issues, when i was at nissan/vw dealership there was A LOT of vws coming through with major issues, nissans had their fair share too like the pajero TD30 needing major motor repairs/replacements, so much so that they stopped supplying long motors and started sending rebuild kits only... even for full warranty jobs...
then there was the 350z manuals jumping out of gear and shocking whine, the pulsar cam/crank sensor recall, just to mention a few lol
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #45
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have to remember also that be it Ford, Holden, or Toyota, you are dealing with a mass produced high numbers engine, not a hand built one-at-a-time masterpiece like a Ferrari engine...of course there's going to be bad ones and good ones. I recall guys many years back going through blocks and cranks and cams trying to measure up journals and bearings surfaces ti find the best combination with as close to "perfect" clearances they could find from factory engines.

They'll be good, but not every engine will possibly be perfect...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #46
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My sister had the same issue on her Captiva - the V6 in that is from the same family of engines as the bigger motor in the VE. Apparently a special tool is required and she was quoted $2500 by the dealer but got it done for $2100 by her mechanic who took a tool with him when he went to work for himself.

It's expected a timing chain should last 10 years plus on average - even the life of the engine, so it is a bit rich to then slug people $2000 plus for a design flaw so early in the vehicle's life.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #47
natedogg1986

the issues with the alloytec timing chain appeared when holden changed the size of the chain from 9mm to 7.6mm(i think thats right). seen numerous of them. come up with performance codes for either bank 1 or 2. holden stick a camera down there and look at the ratchet for the chain tensioners and count how many teeth the ratches is out. then they can work out how streached it is.
they also have a wonderful design of thermostat. at the back of the motor so the gearbox has to come out to replace it.
i personally have seen heaps of holden vz, ve and the crewman and ute variants with major problems when they come in for their first out of warranty service. the holden boys were just clearing engine lights and topping up the coolant and not looking for the problems.
dont know it there being told not to look or its first years doing the work but the holden dealer round here, i dont know how they stay in business, there workshop is always empty when i go to pick up parts.

CURRENT MODS: PACEMAKER 4490's, 3 INCH HIGH FLOW CAT, F6 CAI, K&N PANEL FILTER
FUTURE MODS: CAT BACK EXHAUST, MAG WHEELS
natedogg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #48
natedogg1986

and it affects the captiva's too as stated.

CURRENT MODS: PACEMAKER 4490's, 3 INCH HIGH FLOW CAT, F6 CAI, K&N PANEL FILTER
FUTURE MODS: CAT BACK EXHAUST, MAG WHEELS
natedogg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #49
THE CADBURY KID

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351
everything has issues, when i was at nissan/vw dealership there was A LOT of vws coming through with major issues, nissans had their fair share too like the pajero TD30 needing major motor repairs/replacements, so much so that they stopped supplying long motors and started sending rebuild kits only... even for full warranty jobs...
then there was the 350z manuals jumping out of gear and shocking whine, the pulsar cam/crank sensor recall, just to mention a few lol
Pajero is mitsubishi not nissan.
THE CADBURY KID is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #50
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8lover
Interesting to find out that owners of VE V6's are experiencing lots of timing chain issues that is identified by a logged fault in the computer system, strange how all this has been kept mighty quiet yet people like Herald-Sun motoring writers just get their big thrills out of constantly reporting any fault in a Ford product, ah yes, good old favouritism again!
Oh no! Call the Police! CONSPIRACY!
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #51
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
The Alloytec engine was Holden's first attempt with OHC V6 engines. Let's not forget that the Buick Boat Anchor was OHV, with no need for camshaft chains or belts.

Ford had to learn this the same way Holden did in the late 80's, when the 250 X-Flow went OHC, however they over engineered that part of the engine, as has been said, with two Camshaft Chains, which acted as redundancy if one failed. It is just a shame they didn't spend the same amount of time engineering the Head Gasket material...

I'm quietly impressed with the Di engine of Holden, however for long term reliability, the I6 beats it hands down. I will be interested to see how the Duratec engine goes after 2015.
Not true buick boat anchors have a timing chain in fact mine does and its done 500,000klms on the original engine gearbox gave up at 470,000ks. V6's arent all that bad... Issues with timing chain been around for years i saw one come into reconditioner i worked at when they were basically brand new.
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #52
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg1986
the holden boys were just clearing engine lights and topping up the coolant and not looking for the problems.
Guy i work with had this drama with his VZ. Holden would scan for codes. clear them and say its all sweet. 5-10 mins down the road lights come up again.
He was kinda glad someone wrote his car off not long ago so he didnt have to go through Holdens service again.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #53
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Thats why i am still a big fan of timing belts. With the improved manufacturing procedures and better materials used in making them, they can now get up to 150,000 kms out of a belt. They are easy to change and dont rattle on start up. They do make more noise than chains when runing but.
Old 24-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #54
nb_351
building the xe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE02
Pajero is mitsubishi not nissan.
patrol my bad lol
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #55
FPT
earth flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg1986
the holden boys were just clearing engine lights and topping up the coolant and not looking for the problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan
Guy i work with had this drama with his VZ. Holden would scan for codes. clear them and say its all sweet. 5-10 mins down the road lights come up again.
He was kinda glad someone wrote his car off not long ago so he didnt have to go through Holdens service again.
But I thought it was only Ford that had shocking service
FPT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #56
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
Thats why i am still a big fan of timing belts. With the improved manufacturing procedures and better materials used in making them, they can now get up to 150,000 kms out of a belt. They are easy to change and dont rattle on start up. They do make more noise than chains when runing but.
Timing belts are more likely to snap than timing chains, and chains don't need to be changed at a particular service interval, they usually last as long as the engine does, so I don't see how you think they are better.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2011, 01:47 AM   #57
1TUFFUTE
Banned

i read somewhere a while ago that the holden commadore is the most recalled car model per sale in aus motoring history. think it was in the racq magazine
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #58
burnz
VFII SS UTE

speaking of recalls terry SZ is about a fuel line ploblem..assume petrol jobbie.
and cruze JG seat belt dramas..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2011, 02:08 AM   #59
BHDOGS
Banned

yeh yeh yeh but ford have recalls and um there stupid because ford does it to and and um holden isnt that bad yawn give me a break already
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #60
FPT
earth flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
yeh yeh yeh but ford have recalls and um there stupid because ford does it to and and um holden isnt that bad yawn give me a break already
FPT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post