Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #31
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
Beyond belief why anyone would even consider doing this. The sort of scum that are coming out of the woodwork at the moment is beyond belief. Judges in this country need to start taking a hard line to crime instead of the lenient sentencing which is clearly not detering this sort of behaviour.

Gecko i can only begin to understand how you're feeling to lose essentially a second home like that. Good luck with everything mate.

I am very glad it was not my home station, it is a great place and something like this would be devastating. It was one of my "adopted" stations so I will miss it, but I am sure with time it will come back better than before (they are already talking about fixing some of the initial design flaws).

From what I have heard, and I will not go into too much detail as it is rumour and the investigation continues, this is unlikely to happen again. They apparently have the culprit in custody and the individual is well known to the ambulance service with a very large axe to grind. More will become public knowledge as the investigation continues.
Old 27-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #32
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a sad and sick society we live in.... It never ceases to amaze me how more and more stupidity is commited on a daily basis, this surely rates as the most pathetic act of destruction i have heard of in a long time.

Ambos are constantly under the hammer and this is how they get treated????
They are there to SAVE your life and its saddens me every time i hear of one being assaulted by the dregs of society....

I heard now QLD ambos are being offered a course in self defence now as part of the job... my god what have we become??

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #33
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
What a sad and sick society we live in.... It never ceases to amaze me how more and more stupidity is commited on a daily basis, this surely rates as the most pathetic act of destruction i have heard of in a long time.

Ambos are constantly under the hammer and this is how they get treated????
They are there to SAVE your life and its saddens me every time i hear of one being assaulted by the dregs of society....

I heard now QLD ambos are being offered a course in self defence now as part of the job... my god what have we become??
Sad isnt it?
Old 27-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #34
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:

What is sad is it is long overdue.
Old 27-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #35
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

It amazes me how these half pi#sed clowns who injure themselves then decide to take their agro out on the poor buggers who are trying to help them.........
Old 27-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #36
LUXO_8
windsor user

as an SES volunteer myself, i can understand just how shattered all involved at the station must be feeling....
i know how i would feel if it happened to our depot and trucks.

to lose such valuable life saving (not even taking into account monetry value) equipment is a massive blow for the community...

dumbfounded
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #37
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a very satisfied former customer of the QAS, this is the most appalling and pathetic thing I have read or heard in a long time. There is no reason what so ever for doing anything like this, let alone the extent that it was taken to.

If anybody required the QAS at that time, I would hate to have seen the out come.

There is not much that is really good about Queensland at the moment. But 1 thing I do like is that we all contribute to some of the costs of running the Ambo service through our electricity bills. Meaning, we get the services of these fine people, without the shocking bill at the end.

I needed the ambos about 4 years ago. I had a crushed L5 disc that was pinching my sciatic nerve and had paralysed me from the waist down. This happened at about 4:30 am as I rolled over in my sleep. The two Ambo's who turned up were awesome. They were really helpful, tried all manner of things to get me out as comfortably as possible, and shot me up with some great drugs. Most importantly, they were real people. Despite the pain I was in, we still were able to have joke and a laugh. They made me feel so comfortable, and I trusted them greatly.

Also, when you are in a great deal of pain, minutes usually feel like hours. My wife came in and said "I have just called the Ambo's. They will be here soon." I told her that she shouldn't have, and they literally arrived about one minute later. I still can't believe how rapidly they arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
What sort of moron sets fire to an ambulance station for gods sake.
I am hoping, that it is the same moron, who bleeds out on the side of the road waiting for an ambulance to arrive. Animals like this are not worth saving. Especially when you hear of all the good our Paramedics do in our community.

Australia needs to remember that rehabilitation costs about $60,000 a year. A bullet cost about 50cents.

Quote:
The self defence they really should use, is walk away. Unfortunately our Paramedics are too good to do this. They would probably be sued aswell. But I think if a person wants to assault someone giving them first aid, or trying to save their, let them die. The world would be a better place.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #38
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Woman charged over Cleveland ambulance station fire

Peta Fuller From: The Courier-Mail October 27, 2010 7:39PM

A 23-YEAR-old woman has been charged over two allegedly related fires, which destroyed the Cleveland ambulance station and three ambulances.

She was charged with entering with intent, two counts of arson, unlawful use of a motor vehicle and possession of housebreaking tools.

She is due to appear in the Cleveland Magistrates Court on Thursday morning.

She had better get more than a slap on the wrist..which is the norm, here.
Old 27-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #39
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8

A 23-YEAR-old woman has been charged over two allegedly related fires, which destroyed the Cleveland ambulance station and three ambulances.

She was charged with entering with intent, two counts of arson, unlawful use of a motor vehicle and possession of housebreaking tools.

From what I understand of the accused there are known mental health issues involved and this case could easily involve the Supreme Courts Mental Health Tribunal.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #40
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
From what I understand of the accused there are known mental health issues involved and this case could easily involve the Supreme Courts Mental Health Tribunal.
If thats the case, why was she loose in the first place?

Apologies in advance, but not everybody should be free to as they please. Case in point.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #41
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Before anyone says "oh she has a mental health issue, let her off" or whatever, remember that we don't know what her mental health issue is, she could be a paranoid schizophrenic, manic depressive, down syndrome, bipolar, etc. Each one has different symptoms, and each one makes the victim act differently. She could be a perfect citizen or a total psycho, we don't know. So let's leave the fact she is disabled out of any discussion as it always leads to arguments.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #42
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Umm wow. It really does take low lives to do this. I can't even begin to imagine the impact this will have on the service and their ability. If the same thing happened here it would be chaos. Put them on a list so that when the day comes they need an ambulance, they are denied that right and left to suffer. As an ambulance officer myself (although due to health I have not done a shift in 2 months) I feel even more outraged at the whole incident.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #43
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout

Yes there are, already well known to QAS before this happened.

The worst bit is when she is released, which she will, we will have to attend to her and be polite and compassionate etc, anything less is unprofessional.

I guess sometimes you just have to do things that you don't want to in the name of professionalism.

Quote:
If thats the case, why was she loose in the first place?
Because that is the way it runs now with the reduction in the use of mental health facilities and the use of community based care. Its one of the reasons paramedics are increasingly becoming punching bags.

Quote:
The self defence they really should use, is walk away. Unfortunately our Paramedics are too good to do this.
At the first sign of danger we do leave, then call the police and return when we have people with capsicum sprays, batons, tasers and a glock. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts and an uncanny ability to smell a rat, we get caught unexpectedly and you end up with someone standing in the only exit to the room wielding a large kitchen knife and threatening to slash you up (yes it did happen to me). Sometimes you get punched, kicked, bitten or scratched by drunks or drug affected (or just plain nasty people). Sometimes the psych patient that has been threatening to harm himself and others knows you are coming and meets you by setting his rottwieller onto you. Sometimes, if you are really lucky, they just spit blood in your face and eyes and then give you the pleasure of having your eyes irrigated for 20 minutes at hospital and then waiting 3 months for the HIV test results.

Yes, in 6 years all these things have happened to me.
Old 28-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #44
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
At the first sign of danger we do leave, then call the police and return when we have people with capsicum sprays, batons, tasers and a glock. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts and an uncanny ability to smell a rat, we get caught unexpectedly and you end up with someone standing in the only exit to the room wielding a large kitchen knife and threatening to slash you up (yes it did happen to me). Sometimes you get punched, kicked, bitten or scratched by drunks or drug affected (or just plain nasty people). Sometimes the psych patient that has been threatening to harm himself and others knows you are coming and meets you by setting his rottwieller onto you. Sometimes, if you are really lucky, they just spit blood in your face and eyes and then give you the pleasure of having your eyes irrigated for 20 minutes at hospital and then waiting 3 months for the HIV test results.

When i call for an ambulance can i mentiion your name to get you to attend as its clear to me you have some serious dedication to your job how you remain doing it is beyond me really mate hats off

Dallas
Old 28-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #45
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

geckoGT what was the security for the ambo station? It seems like it was easy to break into?? maybe QAS need to update security?? Whether she is a mental health patient or not, its no excuse for the act. Too many low lifes get off claiming "mental health".
Old 28-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #46
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes there are, already well known to QAS before this happened.

The worst bit is when she is released, which she will, we will have to attend to her and be polite and compassionate etc, anything less is unprofessional.

I guess sometimes you just have to do things that you don't want to in the name of professionalism.

Because that is the way it runs now with the reduction in the use of mental health facilities and the use of community based care. Its one of the reasons paramedics are increasingly becoming punching bags.

3 friends of mine work for mental health here in Hervey Bay QLD, one young lad had his nice disabled lady who has never shown signs of violence,pour boiling water over him early this year and he spent 2 months off work after been airlifted to Brisbane,has lovely scars now and has returned to work,another friend's daughter got punched in the face before 4 other workers could restrain him yes it took 4 and they all got battered by this freak ,now its back to normal with 1 young girl and 2 young blokes working the 3 shifts looking after him , when he needs to go out from house they send 4 big fellas to do it,yet leave these kids on their own 24 hours a day with no protection except a personell alarm.QLD health is a disgrace. and how many will die before we replacing the mental wards we so desperatly need all over Australia.
CLEARLY the Hawk and Howard governments idea of putting them in the community has been stretched way too far from the original idea of people with mild mental issues to what we have now with complete crazies just waiting to explode,

Last edited by OLDFORDNUT; 28-10-2010 at 10:09 AM.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #47
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

so what? she has a mental problem, it doesn't matter. she should still be held accountable for her actions and punished.

p.s i feel for you ambo's. what you sometimes go through is BS and unacceptable.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #48
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
geckoGT what was the security for the ambo station? It seems like it was easy to break into?? maybe QAS need to update security??
If you can find the money to do this then hats off to you. From my end we're flat out getting enough staff to support the technical side of things (radio's, computers, etc). We do manage obviously, providing a high level of support and aim to keep our turnaround to a minimum to ensure everything is running smoothly and does not affect the ambos and fireys ability to do their work, however it's nowhere near an ideal situation.

After talking to both fireys and ambo's in this state regarding funding, it's no wonder they didn't have sufficient security. I will vehemently oppose anyone who claims otherwise.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #49
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
so what? she has a mental problem, it doesn't matter. she should still be held accountable for her actions and punished.

p.s i feel for you ambo's. what you sometimes go through is BS and unacceptable.
Exactly how I feel, but no doubt bleeding hearts will be able to set her free.

I couldn't care less about the mental state, if you were physically able to do the damage, you are physically able to serve the time. If you are unaware for the period of time you've done a crime, then be unaware for the time you serve as far as I care.

Gecko I'd give you more Karma but I think AFF has permantlely stopped me from doing so as I seem to do it so often. You are honestly what makes the country great.

Hats off to you mate.
Old 28-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #50
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
When i call for an ambulance can i mentiion your name to get you to attend as its clear to me you have some serious dedication to your job how you remain doing it is beyond me really mate hats off

Dallas
You might change your mind if you got me on night shift number 3 at 2 am, I have been known to have a sense of humour failure. Once I even got a complaint, but 1 complaint in 6 years is pretty good going. I have a simple rule on my truck, in the truck before and after jobs you can vent as much as you like and speak freely, once the door is opened it is time to bite your tongue and act with professionalism.

Quote:
geckoGT what was the security for the ambo station? It seems like it was easy to break into?? maybe QAS need to update security?? Whether she is a mental health patient or not, its no excuse for the act. Too many low lifes get off claiming "mental health".
At this stage all stations have digital door locks (we have to have a code system as we move around so much, keys would not work) and that is about it. Cameras and security lighting have been talked about but cost is the issue here. Some stations have high fencing with remote access gates which is something I think we may see in the future. Alarms are not really an option because we work in lots of different stations, often sent to other stations during a shift to provide area coverage so access codes become an issue. Alarms would probably end up in a high volume of false activations. The thing is we should not need high security, a locked door should be enough.

Quote:
CLEARLY the Hawk and Howard governments idea of putting them in the community has been stretched way too far from the original idea of people with mild mental issues to what we have now with complete crazies just waiting to explode,
Yes it has, I have had a number of occasions where I have attended a case, had the person get aggressive and called the police. Then when the police arrive they ask why we were there without them as they have alerts on file regarding residents. Once I called the cops out because the guy was aggressive and we left and parked down the road to wait for them. When the cops arrived 3 cars pulled up and the area duty officer. They immediately started putting body armour on and proceeded in with weapons ready. I asked about this level of response and they told me he is flagged on the system with multiple firearm offences and recently was the subject of a siege that resulted in a shotgun being removed from him. We just walked in with our normal situational awareness that we have at every job, nothing more and no warnings. We are now starting to flag dangerous properties but it is a process that requires a lot of proof and takes a lot of time.

Quote:
I agree, she had the forethought to steal the ambulance, torch it, wait for the fire service to roll out and then torch the station (so it appears), too me that seems a bit too calculated and planned to be an act of psychosis. We will have to see what happens but really I do not believe her act was a result of mental health, it appears to have been a pre meditated criminal act but I am sure the courts will sort that out.

Quote:
If you can find the money to do this then hats off to you. From my end we're flat out getting enough staff to support the technical side of things (radio's, computers, etc). We do manage obviously, providing a high level of support and aim to keep our turnaround to a minimum to ensure everything is running smoothly and does not affect the ambos and fireys ability to do their work, however it's nowhere near an ideal situation.

After talking to both fireys and ambo's in this state regarding funding, it's no wonder they didn't have sufficient security. I will vehemently oppose anyone who claims otherwise.
Absolutley, funding an ambulance service the size of ours, to the volume of calls that we attend and provide the community access that we achieve is an expensive exercise. I would much rather see that budget go into better equipment, better vehicles, more stations and more staff. These are all areas that have seen huge improvements in the last 5 years and the operational effectiveness of our service has improved in the process. These are all factors that directly benefit the community, big fences, electronic swipe card door locks and camera system provide no operational improvement in services to the community. At the end of the day, the goal is service to the community, that is why we are here and that goal is paramount.

Quote:
Exactly how I feel, but no doubt bleeding hearts will be able to set her free.

I couldn't care less about the mental state, if you were physically able to do the damage, you are physically able to serve the time. If you are unaware for the period of time you've done a crime, then be unaware for the time you serve as far as I care.
I agree in so many ways, I just hope that the best course of management is found by the courts and this never occurs again. Time to put some faith in the system.

Quote:
Gecko I'd give you more Karma but I think AFF has permantlely stopped me from doing so as I seem to do it so often. You are honestly what makes the country great.

Hats off to you mate.
Thanks, blushing now!
Old 28-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #51
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only positive side to this is that no one was hurt AND she committed the ultimate crime of costing the state government money.

That is a whole new ball game and they tend to be somewhat less lenient in these cases.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #52
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The only positive side to this is that no one was hurt AND she committed the ultimate crime of costing the state government money.

That is a whole new ball game and they tend to be somewhat less lenient in these cases.

People walk away with a slap on the wrist after costing the state big money all the time, I highly doubt that will be a big factor in this.

The fact that she burnt an ambulance station and 3 ambulances and the resulting negative public opinion will probably put more pressure on the courts to get this one right. This is a case that will get considerable public attention.
Old 28-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #53
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

close flappist but it should really read:
the only positive side to this is that no one was hurt AND she committed the ultimate crime of costing the QLD tax payers money

and of course THAT would be the reason why they're more lenient.

kudos geckoGT
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post