Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 15-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #31
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
Everyone i talk to dislikes the sedan, have to say i agree, the hatch is class leading though
Even if not a lot of people like the sedan, i'm still curious about it.

If there's anything positive about the sedan it would be this... you can have a bigger cargo area without kicking out the rear passengers.

The Fiesta hatchback is my favorite, but i'll give the Fiesta sedan a chance, I think its not that bad.

Last edited by AG3; 15-08-2010 at 04:59 AM.
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #32
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yup I agree. It might not be immediately a nice looking vehicle, but it doesn't look horrible. Some pictures seem to do the car much more justice, and the shot above is in favor of the car. It looks much better than the Toyota Yaris or Honda City sedans so far IMHO. I'm really hanging out to see it in real life though.
Old 22-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #33
AG3

Took this photo yesterday at the 3rd Philippine International Motor Show...
The Fiesta sedan's huge trunk.

I placed a broadsheet (single page) in the trunk for size reference.

Last edited by AG3; 22-08-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 22-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #34
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, and a carpeted seat back! Thanks for the photo fella.
Old 23-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #35
jorgo86

I think it looks pretty good. Am I weird?
jorgo86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #36
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Thanks for the photo. My father-in-law in Manila is considering getting the Fez hatchback.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #37
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They better offer a way to retro fit carpet to the rear seats... Seriously its a 20k+ small car... skimp on something else i cant see...
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #38
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
Thanks for the photo. My father-in-law in Manila is considering getting the Fez hatchback.
The hatchback really looks nice.
Here's a photo of the Fiesta Sport (looks like a Zetec, minus the front spoiler) with 18 inch aftermarket wheels with 215/35ZR18 tires.

...and here's the Fiesta sedan

Last edited by AG3; 24-08-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 24-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #39
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I know the target market dictates it but damn that sit high, almost silly high.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #40
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
The hatchback really looks nice.
Here's a photo of the Fiesta Sport (looks like a Zetec, minus the front spoiler) with 18 inch aftermarket wheels with 215/35ZR18 tires.

Any more photos of this one with the cool wheels AG3?
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #41
jorgo86

I'm guessing that Fiesta Sport has the same power?
jorgo86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #42
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
Any more photos of this one with the cool wheels AG3?
Here's another photo I took.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgo86
I'm guessing that Fiesta Sport has the same power?
They just changed the wheels, everyhting else is stock.
Its a Fiesta Sport 1.6 Powershift.

This is how it looks like with its stock 16 inch "Sport" wheels.

-Ford APA

This model will be coming to Australia as the updated Fiesta Zetec (WT).

-www.themotorreport.com.au

Unlike the ASEAN Fiesta Sport, the Australian Fiesta Zetec will continue to have the euro style front spoiler.

Last edited by AG3; 24-08-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 24-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #43
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now those wheels on that dark blue Fiesta Sport are bloody awesome! I like.
Old 25-08-2010, 02:14 AM   #44
Fled74
The Thread Killa

They'd look better on MY car.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #45
JClarke
Deaf Driver

No side skirts!?
Old 25-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #46
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...825-13rry.html

Quote:
First drive: Ford Fiesta Powershift
Matt Campbell
August 25, 2010 - 4:02PM

A new dual-clutch auto means Ford's small car is no longer recommended only with a manual gearbox.

Ford's updated Fiesta hardly looks any different to the current model.

In fact, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the outgoing European-sourced model and the updated Asian-made version that arrives next month.

Until they drive it.

At this week's launch of the Thai-built Fiesta in the resort city of Phuket in south-western Thailand, we got behind the wheel of a few different models - though all of them were the equivalent of the sporty Zetec model (known as the S in Thailand).

While we would have loved to get into the base-model CL, which now offers more airbags, stability control and Bluetooth as standard, Ford Australia claims the range-topping Zetec is now the best-selling model. It claims that since the introduction of the current-generation Fiesta in late 2008, Zetec sales have jumped from 10 per cent to 43 per cent of overall Fiesta sales.

Crucially, too, the first car we drove was a 1.6-litre petrol model fitted with the new "Powershift" dual-clutch transmission. The new engine-auto combination is surprisingly standard on the base CL Fiesta and fixes an anomaly with the outgoing Fiesta range - where the conventional four-speed auto was mated with a smaller, less powerful engine than the excellent manual Fiesta.

The Powershift is the same gearbox first introduced locally in the Ford Focus diesel, and similar to the 'DSG' unit found in the impressive rival Volkswagen Polo, but with one fundamental difference - Ford's works better in traffic.

While the DSG's indecisiveness and lag in stop-start traffic can be annoying - and potentially dangerous in some situations - the Fiesta's transmission is a very different beast.

Sure, it doesn't feel anywhere near as clinical or technologically advanced - there's no manual selection mode, for example - but Ford's Powershift is a fine bridge between the conventional torque-converter automatic and the next-generation automated manual gearbox.

Probably the biggest revelation about the Powershift 'box, though, is the 'L' mode. Traditionally intended to be used as a low-speed gear, we found 'L' to be far more fun than 'D'.

It makes the gearbox hold on to gears for longer, hardly ever letting the revs drop below 4000rpm at higher speeds.

While the dual-clutch 'box is quick-thinking and pretty intuitive, 'L' mode gives the driver a lot more of a feel for the car than when the stick is in "D" mode - particularly on windy, hilly roads. It will increase fuel consumption, though otherwise Ford says the new auto matches the manual's 6.1 litres per 100km.

There is evidence of cost-cutting as a result of the switch to the cheaper production source.

The soft-touch plastics on the dash and doors of the outgoing Fiesta have now switched disappointingly to a cheaper, painted hard-touch plastic that reduces overall cabin quality.

There were also a few rattles and squeaks inside our test cars, including one annoying creak in the driver's side seat-belt adjuster - which is right next to the driver's ear.

Other downers include Ford's decision to drop the rake adjustment from the Fiesta, which makes it harder to find the right driving position.

The Fiesta is already the dynamic benchmark in the city-car segment, though Ford says it has still tweaked the suspension of the sportier Zetec model to make the car even more responsive.

As we wound our way through some of the well maintained rural roads around Phuket, the Zetec's body felt controlled and balanced even over bumpier patches, and the tyres gripped well.

For buyers more focused on fuel consumption, the new optional 1.6-litre diesel - expect a $2000 premium - is arguably the pick of the Fiesta litter. Already seen locally in the Fiesta Econetic that is Australia's most fuel efficient car with consumption of 3.7 litres per 100km, the differently calibrated oil-burner unit in the regular Fiestas still uses only 4.4 L/100km.

The Zetec diesel we drove also proves you can have a car that is both frugal and fun to drive. The engine has plenty of pulling power, and even sounds a bit sexy - lacking the traditional diesel clatter or rattle. Ford now needs to work on matching the diesel with the petrol's dual-clutch auto, as for now it's available only with a manual gearbox.

And for buyers looking for a compact sedan, the new four-door Fiesta offers a fairly large, 430-litre boot complete with 60/40 split-fold rear seats.

However, with no increase in wheelbase (distance between the front and rear axles), rear seat legroom remains tight. Head room is also limited by the Fiesta's sloping roofline.

Lap-sash belts are provided for each of the three rear seats, though the middle seat passenger misses out on a head-rest.

On the road, however, the slightly longer and slightly heavier sedan feels just as composed as its hatch sibling.
Old 25-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #47
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...825-13r35.html

Quote:
Big changes for Ford's small car
Matt Campbell
August 25, 2010 - 4:06PM

Fiesta gains sedan version, new auto with more powerful engine, more airbags and more goodies.

Ford Australia will improve the value, safety and performance of the Fiesta in September after switching production of the city car from Europe to Thailand.

The updated Fiesta takes advantage of a zero import tariff enabled by the free trade agreement with Thailand to plug holes in the outgoing range. It gains a new sedan version, a six-speed dual-clutch automatic, up to seven airbags and stability control and voice control Bluetooth as standard across the range.

The new auto is standard on the cheapest Fiesta, the five-door CL, though is expected to be an option on the mid-range LX and top-line Zetec five-door hatches and four-door sedans.

It's teamed with the same 88kW 1.6-litre engine as the manual, fixing an anomaly of the outgoing Fiesta where the four-speed auto was offered with a less powerful 1.4-litre.

Ford says the auto version now matches the manual's fuel consumption of 6.1 litres per 100km (from 6.9L/100km), but is yet to announce pricing for a car that presently starts at $16,990 (plus on-road costs).

A 1.6-litre turbo diesel will also be offered for extra cost in other trim levels (LX and Zetec) besides the efficiency-focused Econetic model. The engine is likely to be a $2000 option and is available only with a five-speed manual, producing 66kW of power and 200Nm of torque.

Fuel consumption of 4.4L/100km means the Econetic Fiesta, which will continue to be imported from Europe, will remain Australia's most fuel efficient car with 3.7L/100km.

The revised Econetic will use a slightly more powerful version of the diesel engine and is expected to retain its flagship price tag of $24,990.

The revised Fiesta copies the recent line-up change of the Mazda2 - its twin-under-the-skin that is built in the same Thailand plant - by deleting the three-door hatch model and introducing a sedan variant.

The sedan is the biggest visual change, with the hatchback looking similar to the model that first went on sale in early 2009.

Ford's sedan, unlike the one-spec Mazda2 four-door, will be available in two trims that in equipment terms will mirror the entry-level CL and mid-range LX hatches.

Boot space of 430 litres, however, is 20 litres shy of the Mazda2's luggage compartment.

The hatchback gets minor visual changes to the model that first went on sale in early 2009.

CL models get body-coloured bumpers and a new wheel design, while inside there's an updated six-speaker audio. The base Fiesta continues to miss out on a USB input but now includes Bluetooth and voice control. A temporary spare wheel is replaced by a temporary mobility kit.

The CL now comes with five rather than two airbags as standard, adding side/thorax and driver's knee airbags. Curtain airbags are optional on the CL but standard on other models, meaning the LX and Zetec will offer better protection for rear-seat passengers than most Falcons.

The Econetic model still offers five airbags, though a safety upgrade is expected within months.

Stability control is also now included on the CL, making it standard across the Fiesta range, and there's also a driver's and passenger's seatbelt reminder for all models.

Fiesta LX models get all the same interior goodies as the CL model, as well as new wheels to help split it from the cheaper model.

The sportier-looking Zetec model will also be available, but is not on sale in Australia until early in 2011. The Zetec gains sports-tuned suspension and differentiating it further will be a new wheel design, new front bumper and grille, and front sports seats.

The Fiesta models also gain a new colour on the palette, and there are three interior trim choices available.
Old 25-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #48
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Wake me up when they make a sporty 3 door again.
Old 25-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #49
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know this comment is rather ****, I have to say I like my toft touch plastics and rake adjusting steering wheel. Still, that Chilli Orange Zetec with PowerShift does look sexy!!!
Old 25-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They should have used a small Ecoboost engine in the new model I reckon, like VW and their twincharged 4 cylinder in the Polo and Golf.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #51
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
They should have used a small Ecoboost engine in the new model I reckon, like VW and their twincharged 4 cylinder in the Polo and Golf.
The Polo is priced to accommodate the turbocharged engine. The base model may seem cheap, but it gets a gutless non-turbo engine, and the models with the TSI engine are priced accordingly. The Fiesta is a middle range small car, the Hyundai Gets sits below it, the VW Polo above it. We'd all love an ECOBoost engine, but until the technology is cheaper (Sources at Ford say the Falcons new 2.0L ECOBoost is more expensive than the I6) it won't be in a budget, Thai built Fiesta. Well at least not until the ST/XR4 is released in Europe next year. Give it a few years and our humble Fiesta should pack this, but until then, no.
Old 25-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #52
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
The Polo is priced to accommodate the turbocharged engine. The base model may seem cheap, but it gets a gutless non-turbo engine, and the models with the TSI engine are priced accordingly. The Fiesta is a middle range small car, the Hyundai Gets sits below it, the VW Polo above it. We'd all love an ECOBoost engine, but until the technology is cheaper (Sources at Ford say the Falcons new 2.0L ECOBoost is more expensive than the I6) it won't be in a budget, Thai built Fiesta. Well at least not until the ST/XR4 is released in Europe next year. Give it a few years and our humble Fiesta should pack this, but until then, no.
If not for the CL and LX, they should put it in the Zetec I reckon, its a $20,000+ car.

But I understand your point.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #53
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25778A00249665

Quote:
Ford’s B-segment small car will spawn a number of derivatives from next year

25 August 2010

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS in THAILAND

FORD’S B-segment babies, the Fiesta hatch and sedan, are just the first developments in a model line that will give the company unprecedented global coverage.

At one end of the spectrum will be a hot hatch version to replace the late and lamented WQ Fiesta XR4, while a stylish Euro crossover, cheap multi-seater people-mover and maybe even a B-segment compact SUV will live at the other.

Whether Australia will be in line to see any of the upcoming models beyond the sportier Fiesta hatch is up in the air.

A terse “we cannot comment on future model developments” came from Ford’s engineering department, but speculation is rife that the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January or the Geneva motor show a few weeks later will mark the revival of the performance Fiesta ST.

Rumours suggest a 1.6-litre turbo-charged Ecoboost four-cylinder petrol engine – mated to either a six-speed manual or Powershift dual-clutch gearbox – will underpin the latter-day Fiesta XR4.

Ford Australia sales and marketing boss David Katic would not speculate on the existence of a go-faster Fiesta in the works, but did admit that he “… would love to see a car like that” for Australia.

Meanwhile, on the busy mini people-mover front, Ford is expected to release its answer to exciting new GM Opel/Vauxhall Meriva and Citroen C3 Picasso in the not-too-distant future.

Dubbed ‘B-MAX’ by some quarters of the media, and believed to be known internally as the B232, it is thought to serve as the 2011 or 2012 replacement for the ageing European Fusion (based on the old Fiesta), but is said to be far more stylish than the almost decade-old utilitarian crossover.

The 2009 Geneva motor show-starring Iosis Max concept vehicle gives us a clear idea where Ford is heading with this vehicle. Ford is likely to build it in Romania, so don’t hold your breath for this baby to bounce into Australian dealerships any time soon.

However, another similarly sized but comprehensively different mini people for emerging markets is also said to be in the wings. Reportedly codenamed B474, it will be a more conventionally engineered crossover but with seven seat availability to the B-MAX’s expected five-person layout.

Its purpose is to serve as a stepping-on point for families in emerging markets such as India, Indonesia and Thailand, and will battle the popular Honda Freed people-mover. Applications as the replacement for Central and South America’s B226 Fusion-based EcoSport compact SUV/crossover launched in 2003 may also be in the pipeline. That vehicle would be suitably butched up as a pseudo off-roader.

However, it remains to be seen if these developments will be based on the current-gen high-tech B299 Fiesta or on the old B256 Fiesta/B226 Fusion platform to keep prices down and profits up.

The Australian-engineered Figo – a five-door hatch derived from the old B256 Fiesta and launched in India and South Africa earlier this year – is a pointer to what this inexpensive mini people-mover may be like underneath if Ford has taken the latter engineering path.

Figo is Ford’s price-sensitive entry-level combatant against the new Nissan K13 Micra/March and the production version of the Honda New Small Concept due out next year.

Employing the dual B-segment strategy globally gives Ford representation across the light-car spectrum in both developing and mature markets.

Ford’s regional product development for B-car vehicles in the Asia Pacific and Africa region, Ian Constance, said this was because Ford recognised the need to provide a significantly different vehicle to consumers who were willing to pay extra for a ‘premium’ light car such as the Fiesta, compared with one that costs substantially less.

“We have big B-car plans,” Mr Constance said.

Speaking to GoAuto at the launch of the new WT Fiesta hatch and sedan built in Thailand, he explained that the growing affluence of new-car buyers in emerging nations such as India and China would see demand for B-segment vehicles skyrocket.

“We think we will see more growth in B-cars from second and third tier places,” he said.

“As time goes by, we are seeing that people want more from their B-cars … more choice … more of a value proposition.”

Mr Constance added that the B-segment market had “fragmented” enormously, with “many different layers” that are quite clear and distinct to consumers in regions like China.

Meanwhile, Ford says it might consider adding a rear-seat cushion that tips forward to create a lower, flatter load-through floor in the hatch and sedan come mid-cycle facelift time.

Other considerations include a Tiptronic-style sequential shift facility for the Powershift dual-clutch gearbox, and telescopic steering in the Thai-built vehicles – the connection with the current Mazda2 (which lacks the feature) that is made in the same Rayong factory has forced Ford to drop it from the range.

Old 25-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #54
shroomies49

Wtb a chili Orange zetec....

To date: Phillips H1 & H7 Bluevision bulbs, K&N Panel filter,Centre console, clicon system for gps

To Do: 17" wheels and possibly lowering
shroomies49 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 01:11 AM   #55
AG3

Found something interesting on paultan.org about the "Road NVH" and the "Interior Quietness Package" of the Thai-made Fiesta.

Last edited by AG3; 31-08-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 31-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #56
AG3

Forgot to add this:
Quote:
By the way, compared to Europe, US and China, Thailand is the last to start Fiesta production, and it’s a good thing in this case. Being the last in line, our Asia Pacific spec car incorporates many improvements that Ford “learned along the way” from introduction elsewhere. This effectively means that at present, we can buy a better Fiesta than Europeans and Americans, who will eventually get the enhancements.
-paultan.org
Old 29-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #57
hhaannkkyy

Carsales have just released the Ford pricing for the new Fiesta.

Carsales Fiesta Pricing

Quote:
Ford announces pricing for baby sedan

Ford announces pricing for baby sedan
New Thai-sourced Fiesta range ready to hit Aussie showrooms

» Get the best price on a new Ford The latest WT Series Fiesta sedan and five-door hatch models have landed in Australia, the Thai-built line-up keeping a competitive edge on pricing despite an increase in equipment levels across the board.

Previously priced from $16,090, the revised Fiesta range now begins at $16,990, the modest increase a result of model consolidation that has seen the slow selling three-door hatch ditched from the local line-up.

Now offered with a choice of 1.6-litre petrol and diesel engines (diesel models available from Q1 next year), the Fiesta also scores a state-of-the-art Powershift dual-clutch automatic transmission, the six-speed Getrag unit replacing the four-speed automatic / 1.4-litre petrol engine combination offered previously.

Available in two model variants, entry-level CL and mid-spec LX, the new Fiesta sedan models boasts seating for five and a generous 430-litre cargo capacity.

Hatch models add a diesel powerplant to its LX and sporty Zetec models. The fuel-sipping European-sourced Fiesta ECOnetic hatch is unchanged.

To read more about the Model Year 2011 Ford Fiesta line-up, click on this link.

2011 Ford Fiesta pricing:

Fiesta CL petrol hatch $16,990 (man) / $18,990 (auto)
Fiesta LX petrol hatch $18,990 (man) / $20,990 (auto)
Fiesta Zetec petrol hatch $20,990 (man) / $22,990 (auto)

Fiesta LX diesel hatch $21,490 (man only)
Fiesta Zetec diesel hatch $23,490 (man only)

Fiesta ECOnetic diesel hatch $24,990 (man only)

Fiesta CL petrol sedan $18,990 (auto only)
Fiesta LX petrol sedan $18,990 (man) / $20,990 (auto)

Fiesta LX diesel sedan $21,490 (man only)
hhaannkkyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #58
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$23K + on-road for the auto Zetec sounds much more attractive. Diesel is priced nicely too. Pricing seems as we expected, taking into consideration extra equipment on certain models and added safety kit balances out the cheaper production costs.

Can't wait to see these in the showrooms
Old 29-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #59
shroomies49

i feel a test drive coming on..

To date: Phillips H1 & H7 Bluevision bulbs, K&N Panel filter,Centre console, clicon system for gps

To Do: 17" wheels and possibly lowering
shroomies49 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #60
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Worthwhile additions aside (engine, trans, zetec suspension etc etc)

I'm really dissapointed that have cheapened the car visually with BAD alloys on the Zetec, chrome additions to the front bumper 'just for the sake of it' and a dodgy color palette. News of the soft touch materials being ditched from the dash and door trims says it all: Ford have cheapened what was a very classy little car.

Mrs Leadfoot81 has changed her plans and ordered a (WS) Zetec early to avoid the update.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post